Home Sports Talk
Options

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I do hope you'll watch us gobble up Washington today @stevek, Happy Thanksgiving!

That they did. They carved up Washington like a Thanksgiving turkey. 🍗

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thought crossed my mind, after watching the Thanksgiving day's game's coverage
    Regarding the game with Buffalo, on Sunday at 4:20 ?
    Only take the points you/we feel, needed to shout out a "VICTORY".
    Damm, Who ate all the turkey ?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The commentators are raving about how great the Dallas Cowboys are. Over their last four games, they have beaten the Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, and Washington Commanders. None of them have winning records.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The commentators are raving about how great the Dallas Cowboys are. Over their last four games, they have beaten the Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, and Washington Commanders. None of them have winning records.

I've seen this many times before over the years. Certain teams or players let loose with inferior opponents and annihilate them. But when meeting tough opponents, they tighten up and don't play to their full potential. I see Dak Prescott as that type of player.

It used to happen all the time with Andy Reid, who as you know, coached the Eagles for 14 years. In tight situations in key games, he would get "brain freezes" that were astonishing, and make hiss poor coaching decisions.

Reid seems to have overcome this problem with the Chiefs. I don't follow the Chiefs all that closely, so maybe Reid has been seeing a good psychiatrist or perhaps he leaves the play calling to the OC or whatever.

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe that only 3 years ago this was the worst division in NFL history.

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    Hard to believe that only 3 years ago this was the worst division in NFL history.

With the Eagles out of it at the time, I wasn't following that situation all too closely, and have no interest in going back to explore it. Maybe they just wanted to get Sudfeld some work?

I had my doubts about Hurts in the beginning and for awhile. But he has blossomed into a very good quarterback. However I'm not putting him in the Brady or Montana category yet. Maybe next season? 😉

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Applejacks said:

With the Eagles out of it at the time, I wasn't following that situation all too closely, and have no interest in going back to explore it. Maybe they just wanted to get Sudfeld some work?

I had my doubts about Hurts in the beginning and for awhile. But he has blossomed into a very good quarterback. However I'm not putting him in the Brady or Montana category yet. Maybe neverext season? 😉

Autocorrect got you. I fixed it for you.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@Applejacks said:

I had my doubts about Hurts in the beginning and for awhile. But he has blossomed into a very good quarterback. However I'm not putting him in the Brady or Montana category yet. Maybe neverext season? 😉

Autocorrect got you. I fixed it for you.

Dam that autocorrect. 🤣

• Options

This Bills game today bothers me a little bit. Huge win last week against the Chiefs, payback a little bit for the Super Bowl loss against them.

The books have it as Eagles -3 at home. Frankly, i thought it would be Eagles around -4 1/2, maybe -5. So my guess is the books may be factoring into the line the following comments.

Eagles are a lusty 9-1 right now. Some of these wins, without question were a little bit, if not a lot lucky. So they've won some tight games, but luck does tend to even out over the course of a season.

Yes luck favors the prepared, and Nick Sirianni has done a great job preparing the Eagles to play focused football each game. Can the Eagles overcome this possible letdown game from their big win against the Chiefs, and fully focus on this AFC opponent the Bills? Or will the Eagles possibly be looking ahead to two big game matchups against NFC opponents in the 49ers and then the hated Cowboys? We shall see.

• Options

Always good to draw first blood, especially 7 pints. I mean points.

• Options

Bad start. The Eagles can’t put pressure on Allen.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

Hopefully bad start, good finish - like in the Chief's game.

• Options

@BillJones said:

Ugly end to the first half. Eagles may be gassed from the effort last week.

We shall see.

• Options

Looks like it may be another nail biter.

I've already bit my fingernails down to the knuckles this season. 😐

• Options

Barnburner perhaps?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the real Philadelphia Eagles please stand up! (Or sit down - depending on how bad there're playing at the time)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

That's what I'm talkin' about. 😎

Would sure rather have 7 than 3 right now.

• Options

Yessssss!!!!!!!

But it's far from over.

• Options

@stevek said:
    That's what I'm talkin' about. 😎

Would sure rather have 7 than 3 right now.

Asketh and you shall receiveth. 😃

• Options

Damn, that was fast - the real Eagles just stood up!

• Options

Still 11 minutes to go. Anything can happen.

• Options

Eagles dead. Game over.

• Options

59 yarder in bad weather. Incredible - to tie it up.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got one hell of a team Steve, those guys just don't like losing, unbelievable.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2023 5:51PM

Honestly, I was all set to do a "I'm fine with 9-2" post. It still might happen, but that 59 yarder in this weather was simply amazing.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

hell of a game

congrats @stevek

• Options

This win is a little bit hard to believe.

Simply remarkable.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Honestly, I was all set to do a "I'm fine with 9-2" post. It still might happen, but that 59 yarder in this weather was simply amazing.

Wow, unbelievable game, heck of a win, best team in the league.

• Options

Interesting - no extra point, so the game fell right on the line.

Lots of pushes tonight in Philadelphia.

• Options

I know this sounds funny, but I'm glad that epic 59 yard field goal wasn't wasted.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I know this sounds funny, but I'm glad that epic 59 yard field goal wasn't wasted.

Your kicker has ice water in his veins, to make that kick in those conditions with the game on the line, legendary. I think you guys are going to win it all, you just won't stay down!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 6:25PM

Unbelievable game, neither team deserved to lose and both teams deserved to win.

Phenomenal game

Congrats @stevek

• Options

Silly as it may seem, the reason I actually fell in love with boxing was watching the Rocky movies, the heart he showed, and I hope to someday visit the statue. The Eagles remind me of Rocky, just no quit in them.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Silly as it may seem, the reason I actually fell in love with boxing was watching the Rocky movies, the heart he showed, and I hope to someday visit the statue. The Eagles remind me of Rocky, just no quit in them.

Great movie. The Academy Award for Best Picture was well deserved.

How Burgess Meredith didn't also win an Academy Award is beyond me. I can't see how anyone can act better than that - a great performance as the manager.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness was that a great game!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Congratulations @stevek. your Eagles are 10-1!!! they are a tough, hard-nosed, great football team. Hurts is a winner. It will come down to them and SF.

• Options

@craig44 said:

I went thru a quart size bottle of nitroglycerine pills.

Next game i'm getting the gallon size. 😆

• Options

I just checked the box score. Hurts accounted for 5 TD today!!!!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I just checked the box score. Hurts accounted for 5 TD today!!!!

Three passing and two rushing. Helluva game.

• Options

A great game for sure. Best thing is now the Eagles are 10-1 and the Bills are 6-6 and actually percentage points behind the Broncos in the Wild Card race.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

:o

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thrilling finish to a very exciting game.

Billjones sure bails out at the first sign of adversity, doesn't he? :D

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

True, but it would good if the Eagles could get off to a good start instead of this come from behind stuff.

• Options

I understand it was a regular season game, but that 59 yard FG in that weather to tie the game at the end has to be one of the better kicks in history

• Options

@BillJones said:

@grote15 said:

True, but it would good if the Eagles could get off to a good start instead of this come from behind stuff.

Yes but at 10-1, I don't have too many complaints.

Other than that one loss. 😉

If the Eagles win the rest of their games including the Super Bowl, I'll be mad because they didn't have an undefeated season. 😉😉

BTW - BillJones is a realist. The Eagles did look beat at certain times in that game.

I was listening to the game call by Merrill Reese, the long time broadcaster of the Eagles games who does a great job, and he's a true homer. Ever he "basically" said that 59 yard field goal wasn't going to be made in those weather conditions.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the Eagles look like a team that is going to lose early in the playoffs. They are not nearly as good as their record. While it is pretty remarkable that they keep coming from behind to win these games, great teams don't fall behind 4 straight games.

For their sake, they need to lose a game or two so that they don't keep believing Hurts will win it for them in the 2nd half.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and they romp to the Super Bowl but I feel like we see teams like this all the time. A record much better than they are actually playing (they are 7-1 in one score games) that then gets upset in the playoffs when they aren't able to pull off another miracle.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Unfortunately, the Eagles look like a team that is going to lose early in the playoffs. They are not nearly as good as their record. While it is pretty remarkable that they keep coming from behind to win these games, great teams don't fall behind 4 straight games.

For their sake, they need to lose a game or two so that they don't keep believing Hurts will win it for them in the 2nd half.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and they romp to the Super Bowl but I feel like we see teams like this all the time. A record much better than they are actually playing (they are 7-1 in one score games) that then gets upset in the playoffs when they aren't able to pull off another miracle.

Robb

I don't disagree with your overall point. Except that this season, there sure aren't any 1985 Bears type teams out there.

Even Tom Brady stated recently that the NFL has become mediocre compared to what it used to be. Most out there that I saw, agreed with him.

Remember though, in a 5k claiming race at a cheap horse racetrack, all the horses in the race stink. But the winner just stinks less than the rest of them. 😉

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely agree that there aren't any great teams out there this season. I just think the Eagles are playing down to their competition and then raising their game when they have to. That is great until an unexpected turnover or drop occurs.

None of that means they can't win. Just that the Eagles record is a bit of a mirage though if they do discover their "A" game down the stretch run, they could coast to a Super Bowl victory.

Robb

• Options

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@grote15 said:

Yes but at 10-1, I don't have too many complaints.

Other than that one loss. 😉

If the Eagles win the rest of their games including the Super Bowl, I'll be mad because they didn't have an undefeated season. 😉😉

BTW - BillJones is a realist. The Eagles did look beat at certain times in that game.

I was listening to the game call by Merrill Reese, the long time broadcaster of the Eagles games who does a great job, and he's a true homer. Ever he "basically" said that 59 yard field goal wasn't going to be made in those weather conditions.

take it from me, undefeated seasons are definitely overrated!