Home Sports Talk

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heluva ugly way to lose a football game. But the Eagles won a few ugly ones this season, so i guess it evened out a bit.

Jalen Hurts with a hiss poor performance, throwing some gosh awful int's.

Bottom line - Ya can't not score in the entire second half, and expect to win many football games.

A setback, but of course this Eagles team wasn't about to go undefeated for the season. All that being said, the Eagles are still 5-1, and that ain't bad.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

That sucked. Oh well.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

49rs lose to the Browns and Eagles lose to the Jets in the same day? Not buying it............... B)
    What's next - Giants beat the Bills?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

What aggravates me even more, is i had a new thread titled, "Say "Hello" to the only undefeated team in the National Football League" all typed out and ready to copy and paste.

The dam loss spoiled my fun. 😒

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    49rs lose to the Browns and Eagles lose to the Jets in the same day? Not buying it............... B)
    What's next - Giants beat the Bills?

It’s starting to look that way. ;) The Bills look like they have jet lag when they shouldn’t.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:
    It begins with a good road win today over an opposing team in the junior NFL circuit, that has an old over-the-hill head coach who has morphed into a modern day version of an old over-the-hill Tom Landry.

I am convinced that Belichick is staying around to beat Don Schula’s lifetime win record. After that, he will retire.

I googled it, and Belichick is 19 wins away from beating the record.

As long as Kraft keeps control of the team, and as long as Belichick stays healthy and motivated, which from what I've seen he appears to be, I think that Belichick will get there.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:
    It begins with a good road win today over an opposing team in the junior NFL circuit, that has an old over-the-hill head coach who has morphed into a modern day version of an old over-the-hill Tom Landry.

I am convinced that Belichick is staying around to beat Don Schula’s lifetime win record. After that, he will retire.

As long as Kraft keeps control of the team, and as long as Belichick stays healthy and motivated, which from what I've seen he appears to be, I think that Belichick will get there.

Any Monday morning quarterbacks in that pic?

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

The Morrall of the story is, BB ain’t catching Shula. 😉

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a good picture of the undefeateds. I am guessing taken in the early 90s?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

The Morrall of the story is, BB ain’t catching Shula. 😉

Yea I know, but where was the pic right after I made that comment is all I'm saying. No problem - just kidding around.

Admittedly now, it doesn't look good, but if Kraft keeps him around, Belichick still might be able to do it. Although it's a long shot at this point. Even Belichick should realize his time is running out. He's 71 years old, and has a lot of wear and tear on that coaching body and mind.

Belichick's window of great coaching without question has passed. That game yesterday was a coaching debacle, and he's not getting any younger. More debacles are likely on the horizon.

edited October 16, 2023 12:42PM

I could not see yesterday's game, but it's obvious that BB is over the hill. Wins for pro football coaches is like wins for baseball pitchers. Once they get over the hill, even a few more wins to pad a record become impossible.

A baseball hitter can be over the hill, but if he's been a power hitter, he can "get a hold of one" once and awhile. A-Rod was an example of that. In the end, he couldn't hit much of anything except home runs. I also remember in one of the Mickey Mantle biographies where he described one of his home runs. He was sitting on the bench after he had been out the night before on a bender. He said his head was busting, and it felt like a balloon. Nevertheless the manager asked him to pitch hit. Sure enough, he hit a homer even though he was feeling like crap.

Shula had two great teams to coach with the Baltimore Colts and then Miami. BB really only had the great Patriot run. Shula's record is even more remarkable given the fact that he coached when seasons were shorter.

At the end of Brady era, I thought that BB would surpass Shula. I thought that he was a great coach and that he would be better with personnel than he has turned out to be. I was wrong on both counts. Brady was the spark.

Maybe Mac Jones is like Jino Smith and could blossom under a different coach. So far it doesn't look like it. BB tried Cam Neally as a stop gap, and that didn't work. Then he drafted Jones who came from the Alabama dynasty. It looked a good bet, but it hasn’t been one.

I think that will be BB's last year. He won't go out a winner, but he did have a great run.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    I could not see yesterday's game, but it's obvious that BB is over the hill. Wins for pro football coaches is like wins for baseball pitchers. Once they get over the hill, even a few more wins to pad a record become impossible.

A baseball hitter can be over the hill, but if he's been a power hitter, he can "get a hold of one" once and awhile. A-Rod was an example of that. In the end, he couldn't hit much of anything except home runs. I also remember in one of the Mickey Mantle biographies where he described one of his home runs. He was sitting on the bench after he had been out the night before on a bender. He said his head was busting, and it felt like a balloon. Nevertheless the manager asked him to pitch hit. Sure enough, he hit a homer even though he was feeling like crap.

Shula had two great teams to coach with the Baltimore Colts and then Miami. BB really only had the great Patriot run. Shula's record is even more remarkable given the fact that he coached when seasons were shorter.

At the end of Brady era, I thought that BB would surpass Shula. I thought that he was a great coach and that he would be better with personnel than he has turned out to be. I was wrong on both counts. Brady was the spark.

Maybe Mac Jones is like Jino Smith and could blossom under a different coach. So far it doesn't look like it. BB tried Cam Neally as a stop gap, and that didn't work. Then he drafted Jones who came from the Alabama dynasty. It looked a good bet, but it hasn’t been one.

I think that will be BB's last year. He won't go out a winner, but he did have a great run.

It's such a tough call with Belichick for so many different reasons. The wild card of course is the owner Kraft. Certainly at least some of what happens after the season, depends on how the Patriots do the remainder of this season.

That's a good analogy with football coaches and baseball pitchers. Once they get old and begin going downhill, it's very difficult or impossible to reverse that. And often it happens quickly. Once the pitcher's arm is shot, it's shot. And once a coach's cognitive reasoning ability versus other coaches is shot, which may be the case with Belichick, that's also shot and likely not coming back.

Crazy thought I had today. If Belichick gets the ax in the off season, I wonder if some idiot owner with a current brain dead head coach, might hire Belichick as head coach based on his past performance? I know it seems far fetched, but stranger things have happened. I think it might help that team at least sell season tickets and generate their fan interest.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He might wind up with the Giants.

I am surprised this thread isnt more active tonight. Eagles looking good so far.

@craig44 said:
    I am surprised this thread isnt more active tonight. Eagles looking good so far.

Eagles up 17-10 at halftime. I'll take it.

Looks like Eagles are imploding. The offense is totally flat. Hurts is starting to look like Jamis Winston.

Those watching the game I don't think can disagree with this. Nick Sirianni reminded me of Vince Lombardi on that touchdown drive to go up 31-17.

I'm lovin' it!

@stevek said:
    Those watching the game I don't think can disagree with this. Nick Sirianni reminded me of Vince Lombardi on that touchdown drive to go up 31-17.

I'm lovin' it!

So am I. This is best the Eagles have looked all season.

Lots of good stuff tonight.

To nitpick just a bit, Jalen Hurts needs to cut down on the int's.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 8:20PM

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I'm lovin' it!

Are you the same Bill Jones as four posts above this one? 🤔

Surprising score tonight. I picked the Eagles but thought the score would be closer.

@Steven59 said:
    Surprising score tonight. I picked the Eagles but thought the score would be closer.

Excellent choice. 👍

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Kelly Green uniforms looked to be well received.

Now that's a team coming together. Well done gentleman.

@Darin said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I'm lovin' it!

Yes, I am. That was just after Hurts thew that almost instant pick 6 that tied the game.

Turnovers seem to be the big problem with Hurts’ game. He made two of them tonight, and they can kill you.

The Tampa team had a QB named Jamis Winston. He’s now the backup for the Saints. Turnovers have ruined his career. He has lots of talent, but it does no good if you make eight good to great plays in a row and then turn the ball over.

In his last season with the Bucks, Winston had something over 30 interceptions and 30 fumbles. Winston capped off his Bucks career in the usual way. In the last game of the season, the Bucks tied it forcing the game into overtime. The Bucks won the toss and chose to receive. On the very first play from scrimmage, Winston threw a pick 6. That was his last Bucks’ game. The next year, the Bucks signed Brady.

@emeraldATV said:

I loved those jerseys last night. Those should be the every week jersey

I think the Eagles looked great last night. If they continue to build on it, they are on the short list of SB contenders.

@BillJones said:

@Darin said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I'm lovin' it!

Yes, I am. That was just after Hurts thew that almost instant pick 6 that tied the game.

Turnovers seem to be the big problem with Hurts’ game. He made two of them tonight, and they can kill you.

The Tampa team had a QB named Jamis Winston. He’s now the backup for the Saints. Turnovers have ruined his career. He has lots of talent, but it does no good if you make eight good to great plays in a row and then turn the ball over.

In his last season with the Bucks, Winston had something over 30 interceptions and 30 fumbles. Winston capped off his Bucks career in the usual way. In the last game of the season, the Bucks tied it forcing the game into overtime. The Bucks won the toss and chose to receive. On the very first play from scrimmage, Winston threw a pick 6. That was his last Bucks’ game. The next year, the Bucks signed Brady.

Football coaches call it "happy feet" and it's not a compliment. It's when a QB basically gets "scared" of the pass rush, and starts making mistakes because he's afraid of getting hurt.

Frankly, everybody has their limits on pain. Everybody. And quarterbacks are no exception. Every QB has their limits on the number of hits they can take in a game or career, and that goes for all football players.

I'm not saying that Hurts has reached that limit yet, and he may not even be close. Could be a problem with comprehending the playbook. But whatever it is, Hurts needs to get better focused on not turning over the football.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles with a statement win against Miami

Thinking off the cuff, what worries me a little bit is this game coming up on Sunday against the Redskins, oh excuse me, the Commanders. Could be one of those problem sandwich games after a big win and looking forward to playing against the Dallas Cowboys in two weeks.

We shall see if Nick Sirianni can keep the players focused on the Commanders, as well as keeping himself focused.

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@Darin said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I'm lovin' it!

Football coaches call it "happy feet" and it's not a compliment. It's when a QB basically gets "scared" of the pass rush, and starts making mistakes because he's afraid of getting hurt.

Frankly, everybody has their limits on pain. Everybody. And quarterbacks are no exception. Every QB has their limits on the number of hits they can take in a game or career, and that goes for all football players.

I'm not saying that Hurts has reached that limit yet, and he may not even be close. Could be a problem with comprehending the playbook. But whatever it is, Hurts needs to get better focused on not turning over the football.

I can also be a matter of judgement. No quarterback wants to get sacked and lose yardage. All of them want to make big plays that help the team and, in the long run, boost their salary and value as a free agent. Some just push things too much.

That was what made Brady the GOAT. Yes, you could look at his pass and the ball was spinning like a top with no wable. But more important than that was his ability to know when to try to make the impossible throw and when to toss it over everyone's head. Brady was far from the greatest athlete. He was the very rare combination of a good athlete combined with brains and judgement.

@craig44 said:

@emeraldATV said:

I agree. I don't care for the very dark green uniforms that almost look black. The green jerseys they wore last night where like the ones they worn when I was young.

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@Darin said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I'm lovin' it!

I can also be a matter of judgement. No quarterback wants to get sacked and lose yardage. All of them want to make big plays that help the team and, in the long run, boost their salary and value as a free agent. Some just push things too much.

That was what made Brady the GOAT. Yes, you could look at his pass and the ball was spinning like a top with no wable. But more important than that was his ability to know when to try to make the impossible throw and when to toss it over everyone's head. Brady was far from the greatest athlete. He was the very rare combination of a good athlete combined with brains and judgement.

You're right, staying cool under pressure. Audie Murphy did that in WW2 and received the Medal of Honor.

Tom Brady's football honor will be unanimous induction into the NFL Hall of Fame.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@emeraldATV said:

I agree. I don't care for the very dark green uniforms that almost look black. The green jerseys they wore last night where like the ones they worn when I was young.

"Kelly Green" and they look awesome

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@emeraldATV said:

yes, I felt like if i looked hard enough Randall Cuningham and Reggie White were going to run onto the field!

"Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts said he played with a brace on his left leg during the second half of his team's 31-17 'Sunday Night Football' win against the Miami Dolphins.

Hurts, 25, is reportedly believed to be dealing with a knee injury, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN, but the quarterback doesn't seem to be worried.

"I'll be fine," Hurts told reporters after Sunday's (October 22) game and responded with, "I hope not," when asked if he thought he'd be affected moving forward."

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Eagles have created a sustainable, winning culture. there's cohesion that crosses over to the other side of the ball -- the defense feeds off the offense, and vice versa. they have a lot of very good players, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. this is what i see when i watch them play, and it's rare. KC definitely has it, SF emits the same vibe, but that's about it.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    the Eagles have created a sustainable, winning culture. there's cohesion that crosses over to the other side of the ball -- the defense feeds off the offense, and vice versa. they have a lot of very good players, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. this is what i see when i watch them play, and it's rare. KC definitely has it, SF emits the same vibe, but that's about it.

I agree with ya 100%. I've seen enough player interviews in my time to know when players are faking it when they talk about the team, etc. They really only care about themselves, and that's fine, it is a business.

However I do sense a difference in this Eagles team whereby when the players talk about the "team" they really mean it.

Could be my imagination, or it could be because the Eagles are winning. Who knows? But in any event, I like it. 😊

@Steven59 said:
    "Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts said he played with a brace on his left leg during the second half of his team's 31-17 'Sunday Night Football' win against the Miami Dolphins.

Hurts, 25, is reportedly believed to be dealing with a knee injury, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN, but the quarterback doesn't seem to be worried.

"I'll be fine," Hurts told reporters after Sunday's (October 22) game and responded with, "I hope not," when asked if he thought he'd be affected moving forward."

Good info.

I wouldn't mind Hurts sitting out this upcoming game against the Commanders, to heal up in time for the Cowboys game and of course the rest of the season.

Seeing this is the Eagles thread it reminded me of a book my father gave me when I was a little kid. Somehow he knew Tommy McDonald who was drafted by the Eagles in 1957 and was inducted into the hall of fame in 1998. Enjoy the photos..........

One of many photos throughout the book......

I remember when Tommy McDonald and Sonny Jurgensen had a weekly TV show in Philadelphia where they discussed the team. It was called "Jurgenson to McDonald."

The first year went quite well. The Eagles came in second to the New York Giants. The next year, the wheels fell off the team, and the Eagles entered a dark period where they were lucky to pay .500 ball. I remember reading in sports magazine where McDonald talked about how the show turned into a litany of excuses for all of the losses.

The Eagles traded Jurgenson straight up for Norm Sneed to the Washington Redskins. Sneed played well for the Eagles for a couple seasons, but the Red Skins got the better end of the deal.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Tennessee Titans are reportedly trading former All-Pro safety Kevin Byard to the Philadelphia Eagles, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport on Monday (October 23)."

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m hearing Mike Trout is MLB’s official Injured List ambassador. Since the IL is a full time commitment for Trouty it’s nice to see him out and about taking his responsibilities seriously.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I remember when Tommy McDonald and Sonny Jurgensen had a weekly TV show in Philadelphia where they discussed the team. It was called "Jurgenson to McDonald."

The first year went quite well. The Eagles came in second to the New York Giants. The next year, the wheels fell off the team, and the Eagles entered a dark period where they were lucky to pay .500 ball. I remember reading in sports magazine where McDonald talked about how the show turned into a litany of excuses for all of the losses.

The Eagles traded Jurgenson straight up for Norm Sneed to the Washington Redskins. Sneed played well for the Eagles for a couple seasons, but the Red Skins got the better end of the deal.

Norm Snead in Kelly Green.

It might be a tough one today. For whatever reason, the Eagles had trouble beating the Washington team in Philadelphia. Since this is a road game, the Commanders have an advantage. The Eagles can't afford to let off the gas after the Jets beat them. They will probably make the play-offs, but it's a lot easier if you can play your games at home.

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Eagles can't afford to let off the gas after the Jets beat them.

The Jets game they looked like

Eagles down 14 to 3 to Washington? - are you kidding me ?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile in Dallas....

@stevek said:
    Thinking off the cuff, what worries me a little bit is this game coming up on Sunday against the Redskins, oh excuse me, the Commanders. Could be one of those problem sandwich games after a big win and looking forward to playing against the Dallas Cowboys in two weeks.

We shall see if Nick Sirianni can keep the players focused on the Commanders, as well as keeping himself focused.

🤔

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

🤔

Dont be so hard on the Eagles, I'd be worried too if I had the face a monster like the Cowboys, happy Halloween Steve!