Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 6:18AM

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:
    Ugly first half...................

Ugly for sure. Eagles seemed a bit unfocused out there.

Still time to right the ship.

It may have been like the last years of the Donovan McNabb era as the Eagles quarterback. The Eagles were battling Dallas for the division title and they had something like two of the last three games with Dallas.

The Eagles lost first game in Philadelphia. Before the second game in Dallas, there was a short clip of McNabb headed in to suit up. He was grinning and laughing and had nothing like “a game face” on. I knew they were doomed. Sure enough the Eagles lost with a lack luster effort.

McNabb had talent, but he also had a massive choking problem. And so did Andy Reid at the time.

I like Nick Sirianni, I think he can get the team past this two game debacle. We're still a lock for the playoffs, so I remain hopeful.

At this point, everyone has forgotten "that" andy reid. He had his team woefully unprepared heading into the patriots SB. He is definitely being propped up by a great QB. we shall see what he does in KC when faced with some adversity.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

It may have been like the last years of the Donovan McNabb era as the Eagles quarterback. The Eagles were battling Dallas for the division title and they had something like two of the last three games with Dallas.

The Eagles lost first game in Philadelphia. Before the second game in Dallas, there was a short clip of McNabb headed in to suit up. He was grinning and laughing and had nothing like “a game face” on. I knew they were doomed. Sure enough the Eagles lost with a lack luster effort.

McNabb had talent, but he also had a massive choking problem. And so did Andy Reid at the time.

I like Nick Sirianni, I think he can get the team past this two game debacle. We're still a lock for the playoffs, so I remain hopeful.

At this point, everyone has forgotten "that" andy reid. He had his team woefully unprepared heading into the patriots SB. He is definitely being propped up by a great QB. we shall see what he does in KC when faced with some adversity.

Maybe Reid is like Bill Bilichick, but to be fair, no coach is going to do well if he doesn’t have the right personnel, especially at quarterback.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

Maybe Reid is like Bill Bilichick, but to be fair, no coach is going to do well if he doesn’t have the right personnel, especially at quarterback.

My views on BB have been challenged this season and last. I still think he was a great coach, but I think those days have passed. He was definitely propped up by having the goat QB.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

I watched almost every Eagles game in the Andy Reid era. The "brain freezes" he used to get were sometimes astonishing. Too numerous to mention.

Andy Reid doesn't say much about his personal life. But it wouldn't surprise me if after he was let go by the Eagles, that he began seeing a psychiatrist for this crazy "brain freeze" problem, and other family problems he was having around that time.

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

You're right. But the great coaches usually assist or at least influence the GM's to draft and/or sign the players who the coach wants. Which helps make the coach a great coach.

Sometimes it's tiresome to see all the Belichick haters claim that he was nothing without Tom Brady. I'm not going to regurgitate that debate here. Suffice to say it was Belichick who drafted Brady, and Belichick who coached Brady, and those are the facts.

Reminds me of those who think that poker is nothing but a game of luck. Of course there's some luck in poker, sometimes a lot. However the players who understand the math and other type of skills needed to win at poker long term, almost always seem to get the right "luck" at the right time. Which in reality isn't luck, it's hard work and preparation that creates the so-called luck.

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

My views on BB have been challenged this season and last. I still think he was a great coach, but I think those days have passed. He was definitely propped up by having the goat QB.

In my view, it's obvious that Belichick's best days as a coach are behind him. Simply due to old age.

Let's tell it like it is. I'm sure that most if not virtually all successful head coaches on a high level, spend countless hours at the job, propped up by various drugs to keep them awake and energized, along with a diet of hiss poor food. A younger body can handle that, an older body can't.

The bigger problem is the more a coach declines in coaching ability, the more he may use stronger drugs to try to get back to his former coaching ability, and that exacerbates the health problem.

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

In my view, it's obvious that Belichick's best days as a coach are behind him. Simply due to old age.

Let's tell it like it is. I'm sure that most if not virtually all successful head coaches on a high level, spend countless hours at the job, propped up by various drugs to keep them awake and energized, along with a diet of hiss poor food. A younger body can handle that, an older body can't.

The bigger problem is the more a coach declines in coaching ability, the more he may use stronger drugs to try to get back to his former coaching ability, and that exacerbates the health problem.

true. If memory serves, Bill Parcells developed some heart problems when he was with the giants due to the long hours and junk food he was eating. it is a hard job, no doubt

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

true. If memory serves, Bill Parcells developed some heart problems when he was with the giants due to the long hours and junk food he was eating. it is a hard job, no doubt

Vince Lombardi passed at 57 years old from colon cancer.

Perhaps from too many ciggies and hot dogs, both a cancer cell's delight, including colon cancer.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

And that's the rub right here,

Reid is a great coach, Mahomes is Elite, it's times like these where we really see if these guys are even better.

If the Chiefs lose to the Pats this Sunday which I personally think might be closer than what most people believe then the Chiefs are done and will need a massive face-lift

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

And that's the rub right here,

Reid is a great coach, Mahomes is Elite, it's times like these where we really see if these guys are even better.

If the Chiefs lose to the Pats this Sunday which I personally think might be closer than what most people believe then the Chiefs are done and will need a massive face-lift

Spread still at Patriots +9.5

Patriots moneyline a fat +360

Bet the house on the moneyline, and after the game, move into your new mansion. 😉

The Eagles have a tough game tomorrow. Seattle is always hard to beat at home in their echo chamber of a stadium. Add to that the fact that the birds have to play the newly rejuvenated New York Giants twice, and disaster could be looming.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    The Eagles have a tough game tomorrow. Seattle is always hard to beat at home in their echo chamber of a stadium. Add to that the fact that the birds have to play the newly rejuvenated New York Giants twice, and disaster could be looming.

Well the last two games have been clunkers, I'm not going to whitewash it.

Almost all teams, including Super Bowl winning teams, go thru a few bad games during the season. Winning a Super Bowl is all about momentum at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I'd rather the Eagles get the bad games out of the way now, than at the end of the season. So I remain optimistic.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Seahawks have five players listed as questionable including quarterback Geno Smith. Smith suffered a groin injury in practice last week and was held out of the loss to the 49ers, but he has been able practice this week in a limited capacity. His status for Monday could be a game time decision."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

edited December 17, 2023 2:40PM

I am a huge Buffalo Bills fan this week, and they are already up 7-0.

BUT the Eagles have had their rest. It’s time for them to show up. If the Eagles have to play in Dallas in the play-offs, it’s over. You can’t beat Dallas in the snake pit this season.

@BillJones said:
    I am a huge Buffalo Bills fan this week, and they are already up 7-0.

BUT the Eagles have had their rest. It’s time for them to show up. If the Eagles have to play in Dallas in the play-offs, it’s over. You can’t beat Dallas in the snake pit this season.

Dallas has been tough as nails this season at home. I agree with ya, having home field advantage sure would be a big plus.

Why wait to make the pick? If the Cowboys lose this game against the Bills, which appears definite at this point, I'm calling the Eagles to bounce back off the last two debacles, and pick-up a nice road win on Monday night against the Seahawks.

Tell your local bookie to make sure he has plenty of cash on hand for Tuesday morning. 💲

It’s Buffalo 31, Dallas 3! As Mr. Roberts used to say, “What a wonderful day in the neighborhood!”

i just heard jalen hurts is officially questionable for tomorrow nights game due to illness. taking a separate flight to seattle to try and keep teammates well.

I will still take philly, even if hurts doesnt play

Okay Eagles, it's approaching game time. I had a lot of fun this past weekend with some successful smack against the stinkin' Cowboys and other things.

So please don't spoil my fun, okay? I insist, no, I demand a win tonight. Don't let me down.

Well nothing all too exciting thus far, but I'll take the 7 point lead at halftime.

edited December 18, 2023 8:05PM

The Eagles defense came out flatter than a pancake. They can’t stop anybody on 3rd down.

The players are supposed to be good, so it must be the coaching.

A ticks-tacky motion penalty on Kelsey may have turned the game.

edited December 18, 2023 9:18PM

The Eagles’ defense is nonexistent. They can’t do it when it counts. They are done for this year. They just rolled over and quit. I sat there and knew Seattle would win.

The offense is dead too. This team had opportunities, and they blew it.

Wow, what a catch to give Seattle the lead

Wow again, what an interception by Seattle for the win.

What the heck has happened to the Eagles the last few weeks?

Not a very good night.

This game bothers me more that the previous two combined.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Carroll is wearing his cap backwards in his press briefing so I can only assume he has a tryout with the Backstreet Boys after the game.
    A heads up…….. Pete you’re 50 years over the age limit for wearing your cap backward. That’s going to be a 1k fine from the That’s just not right committee.

Nick Sirianni is wearing his cap forward and it really looked like as Pete was leaving the presser he whispered to Nick that all the cool women reporters were winking at him while he was at the podium.

BTW great finish and the best news for stevek is that Bill Jones just announced the Eagles are done for this year. Not insulting Mr. Jones I know he’s looked into the future and I know all the beautiful women are looking at him not me but I’m just saying he’s been wrong before in his forecasting. We will see how it goes but usually things look the worst right after a loss. Eagles are still a great team and not one team in the NFL this year has avoided a rough stretch.

@Darin said:
    BTW great finish and the best news for stevek is that Bill Jones just announced the Eagles are done for this year. Not insulting Mr. Jones I know he’s looked into the future and I know all the beautiful women are looking at him not me but I’m just saying he’s been wrong before in his forecasting. We will see how it goes but usually things look the worst right after a loss. Eagles are still a great team and not one team in the NFL this year has avoided a rough stretch.

Eagles had this win in the bag a few times during the game. But they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

There's really not a single team in the NFL this season which looks like a classic Super Bowl winning team. So that being said, the team that wins the big one, has got to have a number of factors going for them from here on out such as good luck, the ball bouncing their way, staying injury free, and did I mention good luck? Of course all that is true in any season, but I think especially this one.

Frankly, it's been known for a long time that the NFL wishes for parity. Well this season may be their best result yet at that, with help from the refs to ensure that happens.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like parity to keep the bettors guessing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited December 20, 2023 6:53AM

The Eagles' offense has got to improve if they are going to go deep in the play-offs or perhaps even get into the play-offs. It's not been getting up to 30 points per game with a wide winning margin for most of the season. They had to struggle to beat teams like the Washington No Names, excuse me, Commanders. About the Eagles have shown to be superior has been "the tush push." Everything else has been mediocre.

The Giants games and the contest with the Cardinals will show a lot. If they struggle or even lose to either of those teams, it's wait until next year.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the game. The Eagles were clearly the better team, and I kept wondering how the Seahawks could pull it out. Somehow they did. I'm still a little shocked. That said, Pete has owned Philly for a long time. Fun game!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

The Eagles play the Giants on Christmas day.at home. The line opened at Eagles -10.5 and is now at -13.5. The public is all over the Eagles, and sometimes the public gets it right.

Obviously the Eagles will win the game. So after the game, the Eagles record will be 11-4. Sure would be nice to see the Cowboys lose against the Dolphins in today's Sunday game.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The Eagles play the Giants on Christmas day.at home. The line opened at Eagles -10.5 and is now at -13.5. The public is all over the Eagles, and sometimes the public gets it right.

Obviously the Eagles will win the game. So after the game, the Eagles record will be 11-4. Sure would be nice to see the Cowboys lose against the Dolphins in today's Sunday game.

Eagles should win, but don't take the Giants as a pushover, Barkley and Cutlets Devito could slow the game down with a combined 150 yards rushing

I just saw the money line. It's -800 on the Eagles.

Wow - the big boys are obviously all over that line, betting the Eagles. The spread as well. The books are probably crying out for mercy, begging their customers to please put some money on the Giants. So they don't take a huge bath on this game. 😆

@stevek said:

Miami might provide the Eagles with one last chance to avoid playing in the Dallas “snake pit” during playoffs. If the Eagles have to play in Dallas, it’s over. They can’t win there.

The Eagles blew it against Seattle. They lost to a second string quarterback who chewed them up in the last minute of the game. It was 92 yards, one minute left and one time out. The Eagles still lost. :s

I am a huge Dauphins fan today. I seldom say that.

Dallas fumbles on the one yard line. Gatta love it.

Cowboys lose. Now that's what I call a good start to the holidays.

Let's just hope the Eagles don't F it up tomorrow. Frankly, I don't see any conceivable, possible way that the Eagles can lose this game. It might not be a blow-out as the line suggests, although it could be. But a loss? Simply can't happen, won't happen. Zero chance, perhaps a below zero chance.

edited December 24, 2023 7:59PM

Miami opened the door for the Eagles. They need to rush through it. The Eagles need to neuter “the new Italian stallion.” The mediocre New Orleans team did it. So can the Eagles.

If they don’t, their wings will be clipped and rightly so. The time for nesting is over. The Eagles need “to fly, Eagles fly!”

Eagles now at -14

I ask you, I implore you, to please show some compassion, some holiday spirit to your bookie. Bet at least a few dollars or as much as you can, on the Giants. Basically donating money to him so that he's not taking such a bath on this Eagles-Giants game. 🤣

The Eagles will win today. no way they lose.

Moneyline now at -850 on the Eagles.

Bookies seen on the streets with tin cups, begging for bets on the Giants.

I honestly dont know anything at all about gambling or what all those numbers mean, but I am very very confident Philly is winning this game. they will not lose 4 in a row.

Alright already, enough of this American Football League, expansion team, Raiders/Chiefs chit. 😉

Time for some real NFL football - Eagles versus Giants. 😎

Come on Eagles, let the Giants score some points.

I don't wanna see no blow-out.

@stevek said:

Maybe you don’t …I want to see the Eagles offense in high gear.

I don’t want to see a super blow out. That might get the Giants motivated for the last game of the season which the Eagles will probably need.

@stevek said:

oh yes you do @stevek