Home Sports Talk

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wanted a patriots SB blowout, just for my blood pressure. never got one until Tommy went to Tampa. then that wasnt for the Pats. i was happy for Tommy though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2023 5:00PM

What is wrong with this team? I have never seen a blocker force a fumble from his own returner on a kick-off.

What was Hurts thinking about at the end of the half? Does he have no clock awareness?

These guys act like they have a death wish.

And the Italian Stalin is out of the game, which bad news for Eagles. Taylor is a second string quarterback which is too much for the Eagles as we saw in Seattle.

I think that this coach has really lost it. They are not playing for him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited December 25, 2023 5:09PM

Now a pick 6. This team is sick.

Forget the Super Bowel. These guys will be lucky to make the play-offs.

Add to it a horse collar penalty and a 2 point conversion.

These guys have quit.

This team is toast. They have too much talent to play like this. This coach needs to go.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

True self-destructive madness.

Win or lose this football game, the Eagles are not showing any semblance of a possible championship team.

@BillJones said:
    What is wrong with this team? I have never seen a blocker force a fumble from his own returner on a kick-off.

What was Hurts thinking about at the end of the half? Does he have no clock awareness?

And the Italian Stalin is out of the game, which bad news for Eagles. Taylor is a second string quarterback which is too much for the Eagles as we saw in Seattle.

And it's not like the Eagles didn't make silly mistakes in the first half.

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:
    Come on Eagles, let the Giants score some points.

I don't wanna see no blow-out.

oh yes you do @stevek

This game should be around 35-3 right now. This is a meltdown of historic proportions, even if the Eagles win.

@BillJones said:

I agree with ya. Sirianni has to be held accountable.

Gotta score here. Field goal not acceptable.

Giants should just forfeit the rest of the season if they can't win this game.

Thank goodness for the Giants absolutely pathetic play calling. 😆

Come on Hurts - no interceptions for crying out loud, okay?

That's better.

70 yard TD pass from a long time stiff QB who can't throw.

Are you kidding me?

If the Eagles get into the playoffs, it will be one and out. The defensive secondary is the pits, and coach has become Rich Katie. He is like the captain of the Titanic.

What is Swift doing? He’s sliding like they are two touchdowns ahead.

@BillJones said:
    If the Eagles get into the playoffs, it will be one and out. The defensive secondary is the pits, and coach has become Rich Katie. He is like the captain of the Titanic.

Giants basically quit to begin the 2nd half, putting in the stiff QB.

But the Eagles wouldn't have it, they preferred to make it interesting. 😒

edited December 25, 2023 5:52PM

If the Eagles turn the ball over to the Giants, it will be a replay of the Seattle game.

The Eagles better watch out when they play the Giants at home. If they play like this, they will lose.

Yep, roughing the passer on the first play. Two plays the Giants should have made.

@BillJones said:
    If the Eagles turn the ball over to the Giants, it will be a replay of the Seattle game.

The Eagles better watch out when they play the Giants at home. If they play like this, they will lose.

Yep, roughing the passer on the first play. Two plays the Giants should have made.

I'm happy with the win...but not real happy. 😐

The Eagles survive!

It was ugly. If Taylor starts at quarterback in the home game for the Giants at home, the Eagles are toast.

@BillJones said:
    What is Swift doing? He’s sliding like they are two touchdowns ahead.

he was staying in bounds to keep the clock rolling. very good clock awareness.

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

I'm happy with the win...but not real happy. 😐

hey, a win is a win.

unless you are the 2023 Patriots where a win is really a loss

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Eagles are a scary team. and by scary i mean they have the propensity for puking up a lead and losing to anyone on any given night -- no matter what the score and the time left in the game. i said this once before and i'll say it again: their record is very deceptive. tonight counts as a W, but that's about it. allowing a collegiate team to scare the hell out of you at the end when you're up 17 at half..........that's the epitome of inexcusable. all of those amateur hour turnovers and allowing Tyrod Taylor to connect on bombs when you're up two scores with a handful of minutes left............they are a very hard watch. if the Eagles were truly an 11-4 team worth its salt they would have disboweled the Giants tonight.

i'm sure this assessment won't excite stevek, but deep down i think he would concur

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Barkley gets pushed out of the endzone on the last play and no call. Thanks to the refs for preserving that win.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@galaxy27 said:
    the Eagles are a scary team. and by scary i mean they have the propensity for puking up a lead and losing to anyone on any given night -- no matter what the score and the time left in the game. i said this once before and i'll say it again: their record is very deceptive. tonight counts as a W, but that's about it. allowing a collegiate team to scare the hell out of you at the end when you're up 17 at half..........that's the epitome of inexcusable. all of those amateur hour turnovers and allowing Tyrod Taylor to connect on bombs when you're up two scores with a handful of minutes left............they are a very hard watch. if the Eagles were truly an 11-4 team worth its salt they would have disboweled the Giants tonight.

i'm sure this assessment won't excite stevek, but deep down i think he would concur

I'm not sure what's going on out there, not just with the Eagles but with all NFL teams it seems.

BillJones mentioned former Eagles coach Rich Kotite in this thread or another thread. Yes Kotite will never be called a great head coach. However I will say this, to my recollection, the Eagles didn't make ridiculous silly mistakes that they are making this season when Kotite was there. And I would say that Kotite coached a fundamentally sound football game.

I'm not sure what it is. The long season certainly doesn't help. My old high school football coach used to say, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." I would have to believe these long seasons with the NFL, playing this brutal game, has to of course wear physically on players, but also mentally as well.

A few weeks ago, I watched a Youtube video of Jason Kelce, probable hall of fame center, at his home with his wife and kids. Without the painkillers and such that he likely receives before each Eagles game, he could barely walk without stumbling a bit. The fear of permanent disabling injury during a game has to wear at you mentally, and cause mental mistakes.

Could be any number of other reasons such as the complexity of today's NFL playbooks. I mean football players aren't exactly the brightest lightbulbs of society. Sometimes I think these NFL coaches get too cute with the play calling, and windup outsmarting themselves with their QB interceptions, coverage errors, etc.

@Steven59 said:
    So Barkley gets pushed out of the endzone on the last play and no call. Thanks to the refs for preserving that win.

Probably tough to see with all the bodies around the end zone for that pass play.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I'm not sure what's going on out there, not just with the Eagles but with all NFL teams it seems.

for sure. the Eagles aren't on an island by themselves. prior to tonight, i thought the only team that was truly riding high and capable of taking care of business on a consistent basis was San Francisco. then they get shellacked at home. this NFL season has been nothing short of insane. just when you think a team is establishing themselves as formidable, they prove otherwise in short order.

but as this topic pertains to your team, i just couldn't believe they were one missed Josh Elliott FG attempt away from giving the garbage Giants a shot at going down the field and winning a game that they had absolutely no business winning -- especially after what happened the previous week. i really did fear for Philly fans, including you. all things considered, it would have been one of the worst losses in recent Philadelphia Eagles history. granted it didn't happen, but geez with them basically trying to give that game away in the second half, your team had to have given you heart palpitations.

they play another substandard team at home next week in the Cardinals. i'm here to tell you that Arizona has very little talent on either side of the ball. so if the Eagles fool around with them or -- heaven forbid -- lose that game outright, Nick Sirianni should be interrogated relentlessly

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

for sure. the Eagles aren't on an island by themselves. prior to tonight, i thought the only team that was truly riding high and capable of taking care of business on a consistent basis was San Francisco. then they get shellacked at home. this NFL season has been nothing short of insane. just when you think a team is establishing themselves as formidable, they prove otherwise in short order.

but as this topic pertains to your team, i just couldn't believe they were one missed Josh Elliott FG attempt away from giving the garbage Giants a shot at going down the field and winning a game that they had absolutely no business winning -- especially after what happened the previous week. i really did fear for Philly fans, including you. all things considered, it would have been one of the worst losses in recent Philadelphia Eagles history. granted it didn't happen, but geez with them basically trying to give that game away in the second half, your team had to have given you heart palpitations.

they play another substandard team at home next week in the Cardinals. i'm here to tell you that Arizona has very little talent on either side of the ball. so if the Eagles fool around with them or -- heaven forbid -- lose that game outright, Nick Sirianni should be interrogated relentlessly

I watched Sirianni's press conference after the game. He must have used the word "clean" at least a dozen times regarding the Eagles mistakes in that game. IE: We have to clean this up, clean that up, clean it up, get it cleaned up, and on and on.

For a minute there, I thought i was watching a reincarnation of Iverson's "practice" press conference. 😆

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm Invoking the five.
    The fifth amendment provides that “no person shall be compelled in any case to be a witness against their home team.

Well the Eagles have a decent halftime lead.

Let's see if the Eagles can put away this inferior team, or make stupid mistakes and keep it interesting.

edited December 31, 2023 1:05PM

@stevek said:

Let's see if the Eagles can put away this inferior team, or make stupid mistakes and keep it interesting.

It's now 21 to 21. The Eagles HAD a decent half time lead. What is wrong with this team? The Cardinals are not this good.

The Tampa team decided not to show up this week. They are losing 20-0 to New Orleans. I turned it off. All they could do in the first half was call for running plays to the middle of the line which failed. Like the announcer said, "It's a wasted down."

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

It's now 21 to 21. The Eagles HAD a decent half time lead. What is wrong with this team? The Cardinals are not this good.

The Tampa team decided not to show up this week. They are losing 20-0 to New Orleans. I turned it off. All they could do in the first half was call for running plays to the middle of the line which failed. Like the announcer said, "It's a wasted down."

The Eagles are great each week at playing 30 minutes of football. 😒

Arizona trying everything they can to lose this game.

No comment. My profanity might get me barred from CU, but perhaps also the entire internet. 😣

Stick a fork in the Eagles. They DONE for this season.

It's shame they won't fire this coach despite the fact that they have useless place in the play-offs. He cannot motivate them to play well for 60 minutes. It will be one and out for them.

The Eagles remind me of the Atlanta team who blew a big lead in the Super Bowl to Patriots. After that, they were never the same. The Eagles should have beat the Chiefs in the last Super Bowl. They didn't, and this season they are mostly flat.

If they have to play in Dallas, they will get crushed.

Watch them lose to the Giants next week since the game won't count for much. This team seems to have no motivation to do well.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit this was a pretty funny spoof thread. 😂

edited December 31, 2023 2:12PM

There are no "spoofs" here. The Eagles were supposed to perform well this season and have ended up in heap.

Like the scene from the movie Network years ago, Eagles fans are sticking our heads out the window and shouting, "We're mad and hell and going to take it any more!"

We are in for long rebuilding period. It will take a couple of years to dump this coach who has failed this year.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    No comment. My profanity might get me barred from CU, but perhaps also the entire internet. 😣

Don't be so hard on yourself, look on the bright side, you're still better than the Cowboys, who stunk it up last night at the end of the game and were lucky to escape with a win.

The Cowboys were playing Detroit, which has a good team. The Eagles were playing a team with three win at home. They rolled over when they knew what was at stake.

Tampa had their fate in their hands and came out flat, nothing.

It’s been a bad end of the year. The players and coaches did not do their job.

@BillJones said:
    Stick a fork in the Eagles. They DONE for this season.

It's shame they won't fire this coach despite the fact that they have useless place in the play-offs. He cannot motivate them to play well for 60 minutes. It will be one and out for them.

The Eagles remind me of the Atlanta team who blew a big lead in the Super Bowl to Patriots. After that, they were never the same. The Eagles should have beat the Chiefs in the last Super Bowl. They didn't, and this season they are mostly flat.

If they have to play in Dallas, they will get crushed.

Watch them lose to the Giants next week since the game won't count for much. This team seems to have no motivation to do well.

Not looking very good.

I mean the Eagles are up by 21-6 at halftime as a 13 point favorite at home against a clearly inferior opponent, and lose this game? Are you kidding me?

Plus the stinkin' Cowboys were given a once in a generation gift by the brain dead refs.

In times like this it might be easier to be a Cumberland College fan.

@BillJones said:
    The Cowboys were playing Detroit, which has a good team. The Eagles were playing a team with three win at home. They rolled over when they knew what was at stake.

Tampa had their fate in their hands and came out flat, nothing.

It’s been a bad end of the year. The players and coaches did not do their job.

Nick Sirianni needs to learn end of game clock management. I'm not even going to bother detailing his bone head decisions, one of which was ludicrously stupid.

This is beginning to become a bad habit of his.

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl Off Season!

@Steven59 said:
    The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl Off Season!

I'm still keeping hope alive. Especially since there really seems to be no dominate team in the NFL right now, and erratic play these days seems to be the new normal.

Every playoff bound team this season, in my opinion, is capable of going one and done.

It just seems that there are teams heading towards the playoffs that are peaking in performance but the Eagles definitely are going the other way ↓ .

@Steven59 said:
    It just seems that there are teams heading towards the playoffs that are peaking in performance but the Eagles definitely are going the other way ↓ .

Valid point. Momentum is important this time of the year, i'll admit it. And it's quite obvious the Eagles don't have it right now.

So I'm hoping the erratic factor with other teams overcomes the momentum factor. LOL

Crazy idea. Since the Eagles are not likely to improve in playoff position after today, they would be better off resting their starters. Especially since the previous four games, they've been stinking up the joint. A rest sure couldn't do them any harm.

Of course I know there's zero chance of that happening.

@stevek said:
    Crazy idea. Since the Eagles are not likely to improve in playoff position after today, they would be better off resting their starters. Especially since the previous four games, they've been stinking up the joint. A rest sure couldn't do them any harm.

Of course I know there's zero chance of that happening.

I agree, sit the starters. maybe play them for the first quarter and then sit them

What the yell is going on out there?

Have the Eagles quit on this football season?

Eagles should just forfeit the second half of this game. A disgraceful performance, the likes of which I don't recall even from some inferior Eagles teams of the past.

Nick Sirianni should be fired at halftime.

@stevek said:
    What the yell is going on out there?

Have the Eagles quit on this football season?

Yep. They have quit. There were rumors that Hurts wants to retire. Maybe he’s doing it early.

I can’t see the current game, but in the other Eagle stinkaroo games, the defensive secondary decided to take it easy in the fourth quarter.

It will be one and for the playoffs and a Carolina type season next year.