Home Sports Talk
Options

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Unfortunately, the Eagles look like a team that is going to lose early in the playoffs. They are not nearly as good as their record. While it is pretty remarkable that they keep coming from behind to win these games, great teams don't fall behind 4 straight games.

For their sake, they need to lose a game or two so that they don't keep believing Hurts will win it for them in the 2nd half.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and they romp to the Super Bowl but I feel like we see teams like this all the time. A record much better than they are actually playing (they are 7-1 in one score games) that then gets upset in the playoffs when they aren't able to pull off another miracle.

Robb

there is some value to having the experience to win close games and to be able to come from behind against good teams. It can give young players, especially the confidence not to panic if that type of situation were to occur during the playoffs.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a great game, and a great Eagles win.

With a chilly rainy day there, you gotta be a true diehard fan to sit through that mess. I guess once upon a time I would have gone to Foxboro to enjoy the GOAT. But, yesterday, I was very comfy with 40+++ outside and my fireplace doing its thing. Food was great, as always, parking is free, and I have a prime spot. Men's room with no lines, and 2 to choose from, no traffic to drive to the game and back home, just a little click. I didn't see any whackos without shirts on, but I'm sure they were there.

Congrats Stevek

• Options

@MCMLVTopps you know, the seats you were enjoying yesterday sound just like the ones I have season tickets to.

I used to go to many Sox games at Fenway, I finally came to the conclusion that the recliner in my living room had a much better view and was so much more comfortable than the plastic red ones at the ballpark. I haven't been to a live professional sporting event since 2007!!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    @MCMLVTopps you know, the seats you were enjoying yesterday sound just like the ones I have season tickets to.

I used to go to many Sox games at Fenway, I finally came to the conclusion that the recliner in my living room had a much better view and was so much more comfortable than the plastic red ones at the ballpark. I haven't been to a live professional sporting event since 2007!!

I guess I've mellowed over the years, I have zero desire to attend any live sports event or concert. I agree with those Fenway seats. Was gonna pop for a couple of Monstah seats with my cousin, but when I saw I had to tap my 401k for a 3 hour deal, I got kinda turned off. I really shouldn't get started on the Red Sox and Cora. :s:s

The hassle of it all is just crazy. I will admit, seeing something live does have a big attraction, but all the attached nonsense is just not for me. Oh, I forgot, my fireplace is a nice gas log insert and it has a remote control, one click and done. Yup, got season tix too!!! B)B)

Did I mention I also have a 5-star cook that lives with me? :):):)

Take care!
    Al

• Options

Looks like mike trout will be making it to the playoffs this season.

as a fan of the Eagles...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Definitely agree that there aren't any great teams out there this season. I just think the Eagles are playing down to their competition and then raising their game when they have to. That is great until an unexpected turnover or drop occurs.

None of that means they can't win. Just that the Eagles record is a bit of a mirage though if they do discover their "A" game down the stretch run, they could coast to a Super Bowl victory.

Robb

Interesting that Jason Kelce, the Eagles center, and one of the best centers in the league, in that drive to try to get closer in field position for the tying field goal, makes not one but two 5 yard penalties during that drive. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a center make two penalties in a single drive before at any level of football.

Just a lot of crazy chit going on out there.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@grote15 said:
    Thrilling finish to a very exciting game.

Billjones sure bails out at the first sign of adversity, doesn't he? :D

True, but it would good if the Eagles could get off to a good start instead of this come from behind stuff.

Yes but at 10-1, I don't have too many complaints.

Other than that one loss. 😉

If the Eagles win the rest of their games including the Super Bowl, I'll be mad because they didn't have an undefeated season. 😉😉

BTW - BillJones is a realist. The Eagles did look beat at certain times in that game.

I was listening to the game call by Merrill Reese, the long time broadcaster of the Eagles games who does a great job, and he's a true homer. Ever he "basically" said that 59 yard field goal wasn't going to be made in those weather conditions.

take it from me, undefeated seasons are definitely overrated!

You may very well be right - the one loss takes some of the heat off the Eagles, to try to go for an undefeated season.

I realize that you are probably referring to the Patriots-Giants Super Bowl.

• Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@grote15 said:

True, but it would good if the Eagles could get off to a good start instead of this come from behind stuff.

If the Eagles win the rest of their games including the Super Bowl, I'll be mad because they didn't have an undefeated season. 😉😉

BTW - BillJones is a realist. The Eagles did look beat at certain times in that game.

I was listening to the game call by Merrill Reese, the long time broadcaster of the Eagles games who does a great job, and he's a true homer. Ever he "basically" said that 59 yard field goal wasn't going to be made in those weather conditions.

You may very well be right - the one loss takes some of the heat off the Eagles, to try to go for an undefeated season.

Yes. by the end of the 2007 season, those players must have been completely mentally exhausted. They had to really grind out a couple of tough games at the end of the regular season. I think it may have done them well to lose one of them.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@grote15 said:

Yes. by the end of the 2007 season, those players must have been completely mentally exhausted. They had to really grind out a couple of tough games at the end of the regular season. I think it may have done them well to lose one of them.

I forget the bookies line, but I recall the Patriots were a heavy favorite in that Super Bowl. Over ten points for sure.

Yea i remember the media headlines. They were more interested in the undefeated season, than the Super Bowl. Understandable, because that could be a generational event, versus an every season event.

So I'm not knocking all that media attention, but I'd say it had to affect some if not many of the Patriots players to perhaps lose focus, in my opinion.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday's game vs the Niners is showing a weather report (at this time) to be the same conditions as the last.
    It's not gonna be... "Purdy"
    I know it Hurts, to say.
    Be Safe !
    ....................................WHAT ? lol

• Options

I've done an in-depth analysis of this. The Eagles could lose on Sunday against the 49ers, and still retain the best record in the NFL.

Isn't it nice. 😎

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly vs SF tilt this week

Looking forward to this, if it's close to being as good as Philly and Buffalo I will be ecstatic

• Options

Oh, I cant wait for this game. It almost feels like that 49ers vs. Giants game back in 1990 when both teams were 10-1.

• Options

If the eagles win this one, I am on board. they will win the SB!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagle’s - 49ers game should be the 4 o’clock game of the week, but I wouldn’t get to see it. My local Fox station is running a tiddlely winks tournament instead. They think Tampa fans will all be looking at their under performing team. Tampa is playing Carolina this week. If they lose to them, their pathetic season will over despite the fact that they are in the weakest division in pro football.

As we get to the end of the season, free TV coverage is becoming less and less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    If the eagles win this one, I am on board. they will win the SB!!

The Eagles have a bad habit of falling behind and always needing to come back. It’s going catch up with them in the play-offs. Just ask the Georgia Bulldogs who have the same bad habit.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Sorry, other than this one post, I'm not posting anything else today out of respect to Eric.

Everyone can grieve in any way they wish, that's fine, this is my way of doing it.

I'll be back on Monday as I think Eric would agree that life must go on, especially on Sports Talk which he so much enjoyed.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops.

The Eagles laid an egg and had their wings clipped today.

At full strength the 49rs look really, really good.

• Options

This game put Dallas in the driver’s seat. They will have the Eagles in the snake pit for the big game.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Oops.

The Eagles laid an egg and had their wings clipped today.

At full strength the 49rs look really, really good.

Yes, the Eagles dropped down from a team with the best record in the league, to a team with the best record in the league.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    This game put Dallas in the driver’s seat. They will have the Eagles in the snake pit for the big game.

I'd have to disagree with that. The Eagles are still in the driver's seat as of right now.

The Cowboys would have to beat the Eagles on Sunday, for the Cowboy's to be in the driver's seat. That game has yet to be played, and the Cowboys at home are only a mild favorite.

Even if the Cowboys do win the Sunday game, they have a bit tougher remaining schedule than the Eagles.

Don't worry too much about yesterday's game. That was a classic sandwich game that didn't favor the Eagles. The previous game win against the Chiefs, certainly took some juice out of the Eagles, and they were looking forward to playing the Cowboys. So that game was ripe for the 49ers to win, especially since the 49ers are a good football team.

There are no 1985 Bears in the NFL this season. The Eagles have as good if not better chance at winning the upcoming Super Bowl as any other team.

• Options

• Options

• Options

@stevek said:
    Sorry, other than this one post, I'm not posting anything else today out of respect to Eric.

Everyone can grieve in any way they wish, that's fine, this is my way of doing it.

I'll be back on Monday as I think Eric would agree that life must go on, especially on Sports Talk which he so much enjoyed.

I am with you steve. I didnt post yesterday either. wasnt feeling it. I watched the games, but the normal joy of watching football wasnt there yesterday. I am back because life must go on, but i still feel it.

man i miss that purple box...

• Options

by the way @stevek, I am sorry the Eagles lost yesterday. I was rooting for them. I still think they are one of the 2 best teams in the league and believe they will beat the stupid cowboys next week.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Eagles were exposed by the 49ers. They just aren't as good this year as last. That said, they have a cupcake schedule outside of Dallas the rest of the way, so if they can beat the Cowboys they have a cake walk to the #1 seed in the NFC. If the 49ers stay healthy, they will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. They have crushed both the Eagles and the Cowboys.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Eagles were exposed by the 49ers. They just aren't as good this year as last. That said, they have a cupcake schedule outside of Dallas the rest of the way, so if they can beat the Cowboys they have a cake walk to the #1 seed in the NFC. If the 49ers stay healthy, they will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. They have crushed both the Eagles and the Cowboys.

Robb

Not sure how it will play out, but an Eagles-49ers NFC championship game would be a barn burner.

Believe me, you would see a much better performance in that game from the Eagles than yesterday's game, for reasons already stated. But if the Eagles play their best and still lose that game, then hats off to the 49ers.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Eagles v. SF NFC Championship game (does not matter which team hosts the game) would be compelling.

I suspect that if both teams continue to perform as they have been the NFL, Broadcasters, Advertisers, Sports Betting and the general public would really want this game to happen.

If yesterday's game had been a blowout win by the Eagles, the NFC Conference during the remainder of the season would not be as exciting and compelling as it now will be (especially if Dallas beat the Eagles in week 14 and SF beats Seattle in week 14, resulting in SF, Philly and Dallas all being 9-3).

• Options

will the NFCCG be the defacto Super Bowl this season? It was that way for about 15-20 years or so back in the 80's-90's

I just dont see any team from the AFC that can beat the 49ers at full strength and I think Philly can also beat anyone from the AFC.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the NFCCG will be the defacto Super Bowl.

I think the Eagles can beat any team in the NFC and I think the Eagles in turn can be beaten by any of the top teams in the AFC.

As for the 49ers, they somehow managed to lose to the Vikings, Browns, and Bengals. If they play their best, they are the best team in the NFL but they don't always seem to and I would like to see how Purdy does in the playoffs when his team is behind and he needs to lead them to victory in the 4th quarter. I also don't trust the 49ers defense, they were lights out last year and they are just not as good this year.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

The Eagles play Seattle at Seattle after Dallas. That is not “a cupcake game.” After that it’s the lowly Cardinals, who upset Pittsburgh and two games with the Giants who think their young quarterback is the wave of the future.

The Eagle had a struggle with Washington in both games and managed to lose to the Jets. Nothing is certain.

• Options

Well here it is tonight, a very big regular season game. No hype needed.

I said this about the first Eagles-Cowboys game, and I’ll say the same thing about this one. It’s a tale of two quarterbacks. Both have great highlight reels, but both can make mistakes at inopportune times.

The QB who makes the least mistakes, his team will likely win this game.

I’d wish Cowboys fans good luck, but they’d know I wouldn’t mean it. 😉

• Options

I think Philly takes it tonight. looking forward to the game

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think Philly takes it tonight. looking forward to the game

As far as this game is concerned, I actually like the fact that the Eagles got beat-up last week. Without question, the Eagles had to be a bit steamed about that performance, and I think they will come back with a concerted effort tonight.

That being said, if Dak plays mistake free football, the Cowboys might be very tough to beat in this game, especially at home where the Cowboys are 6-0.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

"CHEERS" to the Eagles tonight!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Not going very well thus far.

• Options

The shutout has been avoided. 😐

• Options

This game is already over.

Oh well, both teams now at 10-3.

• Options

Dallas is playing well tonight. they look fast

• Options

eagles are a good second half team, but 24-6 may be too much to overcome.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly first half...................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 9:14PM

It’s 10:32 PM, Dallas ahead, no surprise.

I watched the 1951 version of “A Christmas Carol” instead of this retched game. Yes, I hate the Dallas Cowboys. Condemn me if you wish. I have hated them for over forty years.

The Eagles’ season is dead so far as a Super Bowel is concerned.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Credit where credit is due, McCarthy coached an excellent football game.

• Options

@BillJones said:

I watched the 1951 version of “A Christmas Carol” instead of this retched game. Yes, I hate the Dallas Cowboys. Condemn me if you wish. I have hated them for over forty years.

The 1951 version is still the best one.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Cowboys have been tough as nails at home this season.

Best home record in the NFL.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Ugly for sure. Eagles seemed a bit unfocused out there.

Still time to right the ship.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

The 1951 version is still the best one.

Would that be the 51 Eagles or the movie? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

It may have been like the last years of the Donovan McNabb era as the Eagles quarterback. The Eagles were battling Dallas for the division title and they had something like two of the last three games with Dallas.

The Eagles lost first game in Philadelphia. Before the second game in Dallas, there was a short clip of McNabb headed in to suit up. He was grinning and laughing and had nothing like “a game face” on. I knew they were doomed. Sure enough the Eagles lost with a lack luster effort.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

It may have been like the last years of the Donovan McNabb era as the Eagles quarterback. The Eagles were battling Dallas for the division title and they had something like two of the last three games with Dallas.

The Eagles lost first game in Philadelphia. Before the second game in Dallas, there was a short clip of McNabb headed in to suit up. He was grinning and laughing and had nothing like “a game face” on. I knew they were doomed. Sure enough the Eagles lost with a lack luster effort.

McNabb had talent, but he also had a massive choking problem. And so did Andy Reid at the time.

I like Nick Sirianni, I think he can get the team past this two game debacle. We're still a lock for the playoffs, so I remain hopeful.