Home Sports Talk

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

It begins with a good road win today over an opposing team in the junior NFL circuit, that has an old over-the-hill head coach who has morphed into a modern day version of an old over-the-hill Tom Landry.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your back!!!!!!!!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Welcome back Steve, great to see you buddy 🍻

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Your back!!!!!!!!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Couldn't resist some good Eagles-Patriots smack. 😉

edited September 10, 2023 2:11PM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Your back!!!!!!!!

Pile it on buddy lol

My Pats had a good run, it's all good 🍻😂

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back buddy, but you're forgetting one thing Steve, you still have to deal with dem boyz!

@doubledragon said:
    Welcome back buddy, but you're forgetting one thing Steve, you still have to deal with dem boyz!

All I know is tonight I'm rooting for those Giants.

@doubledragon said:

Just for the record, I gave the post a "like" but only because of the first three words.

The rest of the post is a definitive thumbs down. 😉

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

All I know is tonight I'm rooting for those Giants.

I bet you are! 😂😂😂😂

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Your back!!!!!!!!

Pile it on buddy lol

GOAT head coach and GOAT player - doesn't get any better than that.

Most amazing run in US professional sports in my opinion, for a multitude of reasons.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Your back!!!!!!!!

Pile it on buddy lol

GOAT head coach and GOAT player - doesn't get any better than that.

Most amazing run in US professional sports in my opinion, for a multitude of reasons.

The Celtics did win 9 titles in the 1960s. Thats pretty hard to beat

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @stevek!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back stevek.

Stevek yearning for those Philly cheese steaks finally returns from the mountain.

I guess that Tibetan monk thing didn't work out for you. Maybe no satellite service there?
    You know DD is gonna be all over you, especially on Nov 5th.

Enjoy the season, best wishes with the birds, hope its an exciting time.

Regards,
    Al

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Welcome back stevek.

Stevek yearning for those Philly cheese steaks finally returns from the mountain.

I guess that Tibetan monk thing didn't work out for you. Maybe no satellite service there?
    You know DD is gonna be all over you, especially on Nov 5th.

Enjoy the season, best wishes with the birds, hope its an exciting time.

Regards,
    Al

I realized that I made a mistake after I got there, when after a few parties, I noticed no women ever showed up. 🤣

No, I think Steve was bird watching again, that's where he's been, we all fall victim to the hobby eventually.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome back stevek!!!

I cant believe my Pats made a game out of it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:
    welcome back stevek!!!

I cant believe my Pats made a game out of it.

All kidding aside from my opening post, Bill Belichick certainly is no longer the great coach he used to be. Quite understandable as he is 71 years old, and that is very old for a NFL head coach, especially one with the intensity of Belichick and the long hours he has always put in.

That being said, no team that I've ever seen has quit on Bill Belichick. The Patriots were battling hard right up until the final seconds of this game.

Belichick is my favorite NFL head coach of all time, and I look forward to the day when he is unanimously inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. I expect that Tom Brady will likely give the introduction speech. 😊

Good game Steve 🍻

@doubledragon said:
    No, I think Steve was bird watching again, that's where he's been, we all fall victim to the hobby eventually.

If my grade school ever has a class reunion, and the question is asked who was the most enthusiastic baseball card collector in the school, the first name they will think of is me. I also very much enjoyed collecting coins, but many kids that age didn't relate to coins that much, at least not back then. Whereby with cards, it was always a cool event in the Spring, when the new Topps cards came out which many kids in the school got excited about.

Maybe to Robert Duvall, his favorite smell was napalm in the morning. My favorite smell back then was opening up a Topps wax pack, with the smell of gum permeating the area. And if there were only commons in the pack, I never complained, it was still enjoyable fun. 😊

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @stevek 👍👍

@perkdog said:
    Good game Steve 🍻

Some most interesting ups and downs in that last quarter.

Good thing I had my full prescription of nitroglycerin pills, or I might not have made it. 😆

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2023 8:07PM

this calls for a toast

welcome back homie

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back stevek.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    It begins with a good road win today over an opposing team in the junior NFL circuit, that has an old over-the-hill head coach who has morphed into a modern day version of an old over-the-hill Tom Landry.

Now all he lacks is a hat like Tom wore.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Steve!
    I almost didn’t survive the game as I had a sizable bet on the eagles at -4 and it took some serious mojo for that 5 point lead to hold up.

Sorry the Chiefs had to beat the eagles in the super bowl, maybe with a little luck it will be the Niners they beat this time and you won’t be subjected to that again.

@Darin said:
    Welcome back Steve!
    I almost didn’t survive the game as I had a sizable bet on the eagles at -4 and it took some serious mojo for that 5 point lead to hold up.

Sorry the Chiefs had to beat the eagles in the super bowl, maybe with a little luck it will be the Niners they beat this time and you won’t be subjected to that again.

In some ways with that Super Bowl, as much as the loss was very disappointing, I always liked Andy Reid, and if it was to happen that way, I didn't mind so much him getting the win.

No sense rehashing the details, but if it wasn't for some personal family drama going on with Andy around the time of his firing, which in my opinion affected his performance as a coach, he'd still be the Eagles head coach.

Congrats on that Super Bowl win. And congrats on winning that sizable bet - I love it when bookies lose.

That was a bit of a crazy 4th quarter, especially when as a gambler, you're sitting on the Eagles at -4. But you did have a nice edge towards the end with a 5 point lead, as it was late in the game and of course a field goal does the Patriots no good so they had to go for the touchdown.

I'm not saying that Mac Jones is a terrible quarterback. but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that Tom Brady had. But then of course not many do. That combined with Belichick, not being the Belichick that he used to be, with the bet you had, I think you were in pretty good shape to cash that bet, despite the uncertainty towards the end.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I am convinced that Belichick is staying around to beat Don Schula’s lifetime win record. After that, he will retire.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I am convinced that Belichick is staying around to beat Don Schula’s lifetime win record. After that, he will retire.

I googled it, and Belichick is 19 wins away from beating the record.

As long as Kraft keeps control of the team, and as long as Belichick stays healthy and motivated, which from what I've seen he appears to be, I think that Belichick will get there.

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

I googled it, and Belichick is 19 wins away from beating the record.

As long as Kraft keeps control of the team, and as long as Belichick stays healthy and motivated, which from what I've seen he appears to be, I think that Belichick will get there.

At the rate Belichick is going, it will take three years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

It's definitely about the record. Plus, Shula called the Patriots the "cheatriots", and as far as I know it's a personal thing with Belichick.

Hoodie wants the record just like Brady wanted the career passing yardage record

Thursday night game against the Vikings.

I'm expecting an Eagles home win tonight.

@stevek said:

They looked a little sloppy opening day against my Pats but I'm thinking they will get back on track against the Vikes

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

They looked a little sloppy opening day against my Pats but I'm thinking they will get back on track against the Vikes

Yup, I picked them in the picks contest tonight. Week 1 is tough to use as a litmus test. Eagles should be favored almost every week as of now.

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I haven't made a sports bet in over 20 years. But I still enjoy looking at the odds, which without question indicates the chances of a team winning not only individual games, but championships as well. Of course as well all know, anything can happen during a game to change the chances of a team winning, IE fumbles, interceptions, etc. Look at what just happened with Aaron Rodgers as far as the Jets chances of winning a championship.

All that being said, there was an old betting system that once proved very dependable. Not sure if it is still the same today, or that too many already know about it including the bookies, so it may do a bettor no good anyway. But the system is that the losing Super Bowl team usually underperforms the next season.

There is validity to that in a number of ways. One is that of course they play more games during the previous season than any other team except the Super Bowl winner. All NFL players are nicked up to some degree, and those extra games makes it worse. Yes there is time to heal in the off season, but the teams playing in the Super Bowl have less time to heal, and more games played to exacerbate any injuries.

While the winning team the previous season is jubilant, the losing team has to stew on it all off season, being hissed at the loss and wondering why they didn't win. It's a sort of depression, and depression is well known to be a negative to all individuals.

Of course these Super Bowl teams the previous season, have some players who get full of themselves, and they want more money even when they're under contract, which causes consternation in the locker room, which can spill over to the games and affect team performances. The winning owner is also jubilant and may not mind offering more money. While the losing owner either openly or tacitly, thinks why should I break a contract and give them more money when they didn't win the championship game.

Maybe in this era, this particular system isn't valid any longer. But I only bring it up because this season, the Eagles are the loser of the previous Super Bowl, and believe me, especially towards the end of that game with the Patriots where the Eagles offense really underperformed in the 4th quarter, I'll admit that I was thinking about that system. The Eagles offense had at least two excellent chances to put that game away late in the 4th quarter, but they didn't. Championship teams have to make those plays or they don't become championship teams.

So while I expect the Eagles to win this game tonight, especially their first home game of the season, the thought of what I just mentioned does worry me a little bit.

Getting closer to kickoff time. I just drank a fifth of Jack Daniels to calm myself down. 🥃

It'll all be ok. 😳

just before half, here's the rule. in case anyone doesn't know.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/fumbling-in-the-end-zone/

All things considered, I have no complaints about this halftime score.

Now we're playing Eagles football!

2-0

I'll take it. 😊

Eagles look like they can play even a lot better than they are, so they should be a team to reckon with.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Eagles win tonight. Nice to see the offense starting to shake the cobwebs off.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

good win for Eagles last night.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/fumbling-in-the-end-zone/

Welcome back!

Bad rule.

I didn't see where ball went out of bounds on the replay.

HUGE impact on the game just before halftime.

That being said, Vikings couldn't stop the Eagle's running game, so they lost to a better team.

Bad rule.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@thisistheshow said:

Welcome back!

Bad rule.

I didn't see where ball went out of bounds on the replay.

HUGE impact on the game just before halftime.

That being said, Vikings couldn't stop the Eagle's running game, so they lost to a better team.

Bad rule.

I didn't go anywhere, but maybe you are referring to the esteemed starter of this thread. Lol

I also don't like the rule. The ball was fumbled in the field of play. It went into the end zone and out of bounds. It actually went over the pylon, so barely went into the end zone. It's sort of an obscure rule, and can come into play when guys are reaching for a TD.

I know that you are one of our Vikings fans. What do you think about your team?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 7:43AM

Yes, I was welcoming back stevek.

Horrible horrible rule. In this case the Vikings should have retained possession at the point where Jefferson lost the ball.

I am afraid the Vikings could be in for a very bad year. Last year they had everything go their way at the end of games, it looks like that's not going to happen again.

Offense;
    Great receivers, borderline great QB (I know, he isn't mobile), below average O line (their refusal to sign a free agent to help baffles and infuriates me), especially at center/guard, below average running game. Dalvin Cook won at least 2 games last year with big plays.

Defense;
    Will probably be one of the worst again this year as far as yardage given up. They have drafted HORRIBLY on this side of the ball, their best new player looks like an undrafted linebacker, Ivan Pace jr., they picked up after the draft.
    Run defense looks poor, has for several years. Pass rush is ok. Defensive backs, young and unproven, except for Harrison Smith who is looking a bit old.
    New coordinator Flores is going to blitz a lot, so Vikings are going to need to be ahead in order for that to work.
    Our division looks like it could be pretty average to weak, so they could win it, doubt they can be a Wild Card team.
    Unless this defense can get real good real soon, they aren't going to be a playoff team, and if they are, won't be able to win in the post season.
    You could always depend on the Vikings to be a great defensive team, not any more.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    Yes, I was welcoming back stevek.

Horrible horrible rule. In this case the Vikings should have retained possession at the point where Jefferson lost the ball.

I am afraid the Vikings could be in for a very bad year. Last year they had everything go their way at the end of games, it looks like that's not going to happen again.

Offense;
    Great receivers, borderline great QB (I know, he isn't mobile), below average O line (their refusal to sign a free agent to help baffles and infuriates me), especially at center/guard, below average running game. Dalvin Cook won at least 2 games last year with big plays.

Defense;
    Will probably be one of the worst again this year as far as yardage given up. They have drafted HORRIBLY on this side of the ball, their best new player looks like an undrafted linebacker, Ivan Pace jr., they picked up after the draft.
    Run defense looks poor, has for several years. Pass rush is ok. Defensive backs, young and unproven, except for Harrison Smith who is looking a bit old.
    New coordinator Flores is going to blitz a lot, so Vikings are going to need to be ahead in order for that to work.
    Our division looks like it could be pretty average to weak, so they could win it, doubt they can be a Wild Card team.
    Unless this defense can get real good real soon, they aren't going to be a playoff team, and if they are, won't be able to win in the post season.
    You could always depend on the Vikings to be a great defensive team, not any more.

Thanks for the analysis. As I recently stated in another thread, I am a fan of your QB, and wish he had more success.

I agree with the comments about the "rule." I mean if he fumbles and the ball goes out of bounds in the field of play, the offense of course still retains possession of the football. So because he fumbles in that spot and the ball weirdly goes over the goal line and swerves out of bounds, the punishment should be losing the football to the opposing team and a touchback? In my opinion the rule logically doesn't make sense.

I'll admit, i was happy about it because it went in the Eagles favor. If it way the other way around, I might have a broken TV screen right now. 😆

@stevek said:

Sadly there was no way I could see that game. Thursday night games tick me off. The people who control them constantly limit the access. I guess they figure it makes sense to forego the higher advertising revenue to charge more to see them.

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

Sadly there was no way I could see that game. Thursday night games tick me off. The people who control them constantly limit the access. I guess they figure it makes sense to forego the higher advertising revenue to charge more to see them.

You're exactly right - corporate greed at its finest. Not that I'm against that because I'm a business guy. But sometimes it doesn't make sense in the overall picture.

They really should just focus on a goal of having as many folks as possible enjoy watching the game for free, and charge the advertisers accordingly per the ratings.