Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the coins have a lot of eye appeal! Nice type set!

Thanks for the compliment. It was a lot of fun putting the set together. The “no drapery” ones are ridiculously hard to find with anything resembling good eye appeal.

Mr_Spud

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    I just got this PCGS XF40 to replace a VF details (cleaned). I don't have it in hand yet but it seems like a nice original coin. I would grade it VF35 but I only paid high VF money for it, so all good.

Nice example as the rarest "S" Seated Quarter to find in any grade.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    I just got this PCGS XF40 to replace a VF details (cleaned). I don't have it in hand yet but it seems like a nice original coin. I would grade it VF35 but I only paid high VF money for it, so all good.

Nice example as the rarest "S" Seated Quarter to find in any grade.

Thanks! I have it in hand now and it's a choice original gray coin. Going to get it reholdered with trueview soon.

edited August 8, 2023 5:50PM

@ldhair said:

Lovely toning and originality! Very rare this fine. One of the top 10 at PCGS!

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    A few of the nicer coins from my latest sub. VF20, VF25, and VF20.

Nice original coins! I noticed that sometimes your keys are even higher grades than the semi-keys. I think that's the smart way to go.

@semikeycollector said:

Nice original coins! I noticed that sometimes your keys are even higher grades than the semi-keys. I think that's the smart way to go.

Thanks, I'm just trying to find original (or close to it) coins and buy them as they pop up. Ultimately, I'd like the set to be VF-XF. An original VF will be in the set before a marginal XF.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian Your '43 has a lot going for it! Very sweet, thanks for sharing.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins Manifest, keep them coming!

Doug

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

Thanks, I love your 70-cc! I hope I can find a nice mid grade sometime to replace my G6. Don

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

Thanks, I love your 70-cc! I hope I can find a nice mid grade sometime to replace my G6. Don

Thanks Don. An 1870-CC quarter in any grade is a prize!

Doug

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever was in charge of making the dies for the proof 25c coins in 1890 hopefully got a promotion. There are more killer DCAMs for this date than any other.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden, all I can say is WOW! Those quarters are extraordinary.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking quarter, @Manifest_Destiny, even without a TrueView!

@Barberian said:
    ... > @Barberian said:

It's been a challenging year so far for me, but this 1855/54 in F12 for $79 BIN puts me in a better mood.

>

I thought it would be fun to 'fess up and admit that this coin fooled me. I posted this before I had seen the coin in-hand. It is NOT a 55/54, just a normal 1855. This is the second time I've been fooled by a 55 normal date from a photo. My thanks and apologies to the eleven members who put faith in me and liked the post. :blush:

Regardless, like the coin...

Nice 1884 quarter Don, congrats!

Doug

• LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow…. All are great coins…. The 1889 is my favorite!

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    I just got back the grades on an exciting submission of odds and ends. Stuff like Barbers, including a counterstamped 1892-O, a chopmarked SLH, a dozen seated halves including a chopmarked rarity, four circulated commemoratives, three cherry-picks, and even a 14-D Lincoln cent.

Let's see the chops!!!

edited September 15, 2023 9:43PM

@Barberian said:
    I just got back the grades on an exciting submission of odds and ends. Stuff like Barbers, including a counterstamped 1892-O.....

I didn't know they would grade counterstamps... I have seen graded chopmarked Trade Dollars...

Are there any situations where counterstamps would not be given a Details grade? I think it would in every instance. I can see the '92-O counterstamp on the Hayes thread so thanks @Barberian !!!

Tim

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown said:
    Wow…. All are great coins…. The 1889 is my favorite!

I looked up my notes on the 1889. It says, "light clean, VF30." I haven't looked at it much, but thought it looked nice and had toned beautifully on the reverse when I added it to the submission. The TrueView to me suggests it's a strong VF25 with some evidence of light cleaning or wiping in the obverse (streaky toning, likely very light hairlining, and from the effort made on the obverse, I would expect a few light hairlines under that nice toning on the reverse. This criticism may sound harsh, but I'm being very picky here. Keep in mind that three of my 'sure thing' AUs have graded MS63 and 64. It's a nice-looking coin and I had little doubt that PCGS would straight grade it.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:

This is the same coin in a well-lit TrueView (graded VF25). In hand, it looks like the upper picture until you focus a light on the coin.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

The coin pictured is an 1865-S but I would guess fine 15. I have an 1864-S that looks almost identical. my coin is in a PCGS holder. james

edited September 21, 2023 10:12AM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    The coin pictured is an 1865-S but I would guess fine 15. I have an 1864-S that looks almost identical. my coin is in a PCGS holder. james

Thanks for the correction.

Why Fine 15? Aside from the head and bust, the obverse grades around VF25. The reverse is VF30! So VF25/VF30 = F15?

Whatever caused the advanced wear on the breast and head most likely wasn't simply wear. Is this another instance where a poor or problematic die hurts the coin's grade?
    VF35

Fine15

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't do a comprehensive analysis. I just had my Seated Half dollar coins out at the time and did a visual comparison to the 1864-S I have. I will tell you this though. I have several coins I grade higher or lower than the holder grade indicates. What is more, I have a couple ICG coins that have far more detail than their PCGS /NGC counterparts of the same grade, yet everyone complains they are the faulty service. James

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file