Home U.S. Coin Forum

2023 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin

Comments

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:
    FWIW, JM is currently buying the 2021 version (12,500 mintage limit) for nearly $3,100.00.

Source: https://www.jmbullion.com/my-account/buyback-products/

This is one Liberty I'm missing. I started collecting the series, but got priced out, missing #4 & #5. And here comes #6. At least I have the silver versions.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

One thing I forgot to mention is the beautiful leather presentation box. It’s probably the classiest presentation box ever on a silver coin. Beats WW 2 anniversary etc.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, now I am on the fence on this one.
    I might go out on a gold limb and pull the early trigger.
    I believe dealers will be going after this issue, too.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@7Jaguars said:
    Bit of whining but don't see why they need to strap us for more than 600 or so - I admit I do not know what their breakeven point is & prob. they lose money even at this "scheme".

Well, if gold is $2000 and $600 ain’t enough mark up and more likely $800-&900 they should stop right now. I can’t think of any company that would look at that much mark up and not be happy. Just saying.

Die preparation is expensive. When you only strike a few thousand coins, it adds a lot of cost to each coin.

Sounds reasonable but $600-800 expensive? Each coin. Still seems like a big time money grab. Thanks 🙏

Do people order these using a credit card ?
    If so, the US Mint will net 3% less than the sell price due to credit card fees.

The last time I offered for sale (in my store) a Clark Gruber 1-troy-oz gold was 2017. They were priced at $1,800 and gold "spot" at the time was about $1,550. I only sold 4 of them (and the final mintage was 6).

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 2023 but between the two (2021 and 2023) I like the 2021 better. As for buying them, the price doesn’t bother me. You’re going to pay more for quality, high relief coins and I don’t view buying them as an investment. For me it would just hoping not lose my shirt. I’d buy to enjoy for a time and hope to recover what i paid for them in the future.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Do people order these using a credit card ?
    If so, the US Mint will net 3% less than the sell price due to credit card fees.

The last time I offered for sale (in my store) a Clark Gruber 1-troy-oz gold was 2017. They were priced at $1,800 and gold "spot" at the time was about $1,550. I only sold 4 of them (and the final mintage was 6).

I had not thought about the additional CC fees but with all the associated overhead the mint has to deal with a 30% premium over spot does not sound unreasonable for gold. I would imagine they are not making much if anything off of these and are offsetting it with their silver products which are usually 2x spot plus and have a much higher volume.
    Kind of regret passing on the 2021 but am considering the 2023 of it’s under 2.9k. Love the obverse, not sure about the reverse. Looks like an eagle in search of a purpose.
    I picked up one of your 2,000 Gauden’s OS on a Maple Leaf. Awesome token and I think it was spot + roughly $650. Worth every penny.
    Cheers and big thanks.

@BucketHead said:

Looks like an eagle in search of a purpose.

He's just watching his back!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 5:12PM

I really like the designs on both sides of this coin. It would look better if hand-sculpted, but we're long past those days now. I might actually think about buying one of these. Easily the best design out of the mint for several years.

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@BucketHead said:

Looks like an eagle in search of a purpose.

He's just watching his back!

Probably sage advice these days.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shame. Last year the mint put these in really nice cases. Back to junk this year. Love the design and I’ll get one but too bad about the mints return to junk cardboard.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

I hear you, I still have some superb Mint cases (like the 2009 UHR) but I still prefer my bullion displayed in either a PCGS or NGC slab.

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    What a shame. Last year the mint put these in really nice cases. Back to junk this year. Love the design and I’ll get one but too bad about the mints return to junk cardboard.

Agreed. And it's not like the price is cheap either. It's a beautiful coin/medal and should be in a nice case.

The gold is getting a nicer case , it’s not all that but better than cardboard.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting design

At least they still come in capsules. Imagine if they just sent them out in flips with a rubber band!~

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    At least they still come in capsules. Imagine if they just sent them out in flips with a rubber band!~

Please don't give them any ideas!

• RwjohnRwjohn Posts: 12

Anyone hearing anything else about a possible 1/10th gold tree coin to go with the 1 ounce?

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the mintage limit of 12,500 for the gold. Same as 2021.

Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2023-high-relief-gold-coin-23DA.html?cgid=2023-product-schedule

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did 2021 sell out? Sell out fast?

• jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

Looks like 12,471 minted according to cumulative sales figure website. I don’t know how fast they sold.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.

@ProofCollection said:

According to this thread:
    ~ first went "unavailable" on 8/20/21 (page #5);
    ~ cycled between "unavailable" and available on 8/20/21 (page #5);
    ~ and, had sporadic availability in late AUG-2021, and on multiple dates in SEP-2021 (pages #7-9)

@Rwjohn said:
    Anyone hearing anything else about a possible 1/10th gold tree coin to go with the 1 ounce?

Doubtful any 1/10 gold trees will be minted.

@ProofCollection said:
    Did 2021 sell out fast?

Not so fast you couldn't get one. But if you want one, don't wait too long.
    The silver companion will probably sell out faster with a product limit of 52,500.

Given the household limit of three on the gold issue, this one may sell out quicker than assumed.

And this is why:

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

The 2021 went Back Order after 16 minutes with a shipping date of 11/11/2021.
    The coins went CU shortly after the 24 hour HHL was lifted.
    At least 100 coins were available w/e 10/03/2021, w/e 10/10/2021 and w/e 12/12/2021...

I like the fact that there isn't an imaginary lady liberty on these last two Liberty coins.

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

I have this being the 5th in the series. Could someone help with a recap?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

There's a couple of cool ones and a couple of ugly ones. I would rank this one #2 of 5.

@smuglr said:

U.S. Mint Webpage

Last year’s are still available. 🤔
    And eBay for less than release
    Here’s an offer and listing

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overpriced, but decent design, silver bullion medal.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe we're 2 days away. Who's in? I think I might just get one.

• BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭

I'm in for a couple. Great design.

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

Definitely the silver....gold would be nice, but my pockets aren't that deep.

• SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I believe we're 2 days away. Who's in? I think I might just get one.

I'm in for one Gold and 5 Silver......I love eagles.......

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat looking coin. Looks like it will be about $1000 over spot (Over 50% premium). Pretty steep premium but I guess we are used to that now.

• SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised that the price is not yet set and we are less than 2 days for the release date.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 3:49PM

@SilverPlatinum said:
    I'm surprised that the price is not yet set and we are less than 2 days for the release date.

Might be because Wednesday is their reprice day. Not sure though.

@pcgscacgold said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

Might be because Wednesday is their reprice day. Not sure though.

If I interpret the 'pricing criteria' correctly, the 'Wednesday London P.M. Fixed' price for gold is one of the data elements that the Mint uses to determine the 'range/row' in the 'pricing range table'.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

@Onastone I was looking at mint website and they have the silver mintage listed at 75,000(same as last year). I don’t see a sell out since 2021 is still available.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    One thing I forgot to mention is the beautiful leather presentation box. It’s probably the classiest presentation box ever on a silver coin. Beats WW 2 anniversary etc.

Nicer than the wood 2008 Prosperity set box?

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

Still no pricing....I'm guessing $2915.00

$2,865.00

• $2,865.00
    Showing on U.S. Mint website

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 80-90 more than the 2021's initial price.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

The 2021 went on sale for $2,715.00.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file