Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here is # 6 in the every-other-year-Gold-Liberty-Series:
That's actually an amazing tree, a Bristlecone Pine... "It is thought to be one the oldest living organisms on Earth, living up to 5,000 years. Bristlecone pines grow in places where other plants cannot, and are often the species that is first to repopulate the land after cataclysmic changes such as a lava run or glacial runoff."

Coin flip anyone?? Roots I win, Claws you lose!!! :)

Being released in just a few months, looks like the HHL is set for 3, and pricing is anybodies guess, I'm guessing $2990.00.

The mint is also releasing the silver version this summer too.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse design credited to J.P. Morgan? ;)

"Gold is money, everything else is credit. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." JPM

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the design.
    But won’t pay to play.
    Maybe later.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, do we have the price yet?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll enjoy the silver version. The last release was lovely. This looks equally nice. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Trees on the obverse? What next? I do like the design of the reverse. Crazy typical premiums.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Well, do we have the price yet?

TBD.

Will be dictated by the spot price just prior to release.

Mint Pricing Policy
    Pricing Range Table (Min. of Range in a Given Row + $965.00)

• Options

Bit of whining but don't see why they need to strap us for more than 600 or so - I admit I do not know what their breakeven point is & prob. they lose money even at this "scheme".

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Bit of whining but don't see why they need to strap us for more than 600 or so - I admit I do not know what their breakeven point is & prob. they lose money even at this "scheme".

Well, if gold is $2000 and $600 ain’t enough mark up and more likely $800-&900 they should stop right now. I can’t think of any company that would look at that much mark up and not be happy. Just saying.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a pretty coin that would look even better in my PCGS69 holder at $600 less than full-tilt ain’t gonna happen retail.
    I do like the silver but it can’t compare to the POP of gold.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing design. Just can’t pull the trigger at that premium though.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, JM is currently buying the 2021 version (12,500 mintage limit) for nearly $3,100.00.

Source: https://www.jmbullion.com/my-account/buyback-products/

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Silver looks pretty good to me…I’ll wrap it in 29 $100 bills and it should look about the same.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that design!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that tree were in my yard I'd chop it down!
    Really
    Ugly
    IMO

• Options

Guess you wouldn't like bansai trees then? Well, beauty in the eye of the beholder.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Guess you wouldn't like bansai trees then? Well, beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I like the bansai, but not on a coin

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot, but won't buy one for that price.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@7Jaguars said:

I like the bansai, but not on a coin

Bristlecone Pine, not a bansai.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2023 8:40AM

Ditto on the lovely bristle cone and the significance is spot on. Thanks 🙏
    ( I too shall wrap a silver issue in hundred dollar bills).

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great design. Not a strong buyer at that level however.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    I think the bristlecone pine is a refreshing change from the political correct themes we have been bombarded with the last decade or more. Not sure that the eagle is that inspirational to me. Not soaring.... and watching it's backside.... but at least it has clawed it's way to the top of the peak and is watching for danger.... perhaps somewhat symbolic for our times...

Perhaps may be interested in one, but on the fence given the Mint premiums. Have not purchased for quite some time.

Watching its back or looking for prey and surveying the landscape below?

It’s feels slightly reminiscent of a modernized Peace Dollar eagle design.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2023 11:18AM

@Casabrown said:
    This design was chosen in large part because it best represented the theme of perseverance!

Casabrown, a member of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

Perseverance, great theme.
    OT but Perserverance was chosen as the name of NASA's Mars Rover.
    I helped judge several rounds of essays submitted by school kids suggesting names.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I really like this one. In gold it’s out of my reach, but I might try to land one of the silver ones.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

OK, everyone. Check the difference between bonsai and banzai.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:
    Trees on the obverse? What next? I do like the design of the reverse. Crazy typical premiums.

I'm gonna have to complain to the Mint on behalf of Victor David Brenner.

The designers initials are to large and prominent.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful design. Gold is not in my price range, so I pass on them all.

• Options

@MapsOnFire said:
    OK, everyone. Check the difference between bonsai and banzai.

Googled it, just as I thought:
    "Bonsai ( bone-sigh) are tiny little (3′ and under) potted trees. Whereas banzai (bon-zai) is a Japanese exclamation meaning “ten thousand years” (of long life) which was used as a cheer of enthusiasm or of victory such as in sports. If you have a keen eye, one is a tree, the other is a battle cry used in battle."

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that design is striking. I might have to get one. $70 express grading fee though, plus $18 First Strike...

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ronald Sanders had a wonderful design for Great Basin quarter. They probably could have gone back to him for a slight modification for the 2023 Liberty Gold coin.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

So much for originality :o

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it,,,,,, I think the Eagle is the best looking eagle of any coin.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I love your comments. My only request is that you also share your thoughts via the email address of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC). That address is Info@CCAC.gov.

We desperately need the suggestions/comments from the numismatic community via the CCAC email address and not just the message boards or the usual numismatic periodicals.

Casabrown

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@7Jaguars said:

Well, if gold is $2000 and $600 ain’t enough mark up and more likely $800-&900 they should stop right now. I can’t think of any company that would look at that much mark up and not be happy. Just saying.

Die preparation is expensive. When you only strike a few thousand coins, it adds a lot of cost to each coin.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@7Jaguars said:

Die preparation is expensive. When you only strike a few thousand coins, it adds a lot of cost to each coin.

Sounds reasonable but $600-800 expensive? Each coin. Still seems like a big time money grab. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@7Jaguars said:

Sounds reasonable but $600-800 expensive? Each coin. Still seems like a big time money grab. Thanks 🙏

They really don't make much on these. When the gold premium was $300 they were losing money every year on commems. I don't know if they make money now, but it's not much.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also consider the packaging. That can't be cheap to make/buy.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    Also consider the packaging. That can't be cheap to make/buy.

And website maintenance and special handling of each proof and ...

Given that it is the US Mint, not a for profit corporation, and profits are used to fund further mint operations, this seems reasonable.

I still won't be buying one (although I think the design is beautiful) because I don't want to put that kind of money into a modern but I don't blame anyone who does.

• Options

@mbogoman said:

Looks even better in the jumbo size!!

Beautiful~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file