Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 peace dollar "one of 200" signed Willie Wonka golden ticket tracking thread - UPDATE!

derrybderryb Posts: 36,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 18, 2023 6:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received email from NGC saying that they will be doing nothing special with labels or encapsulation for these Willie Wonka certificates. Hopefully PCGS will soon confirm they are encapsulating the cert with a special label for the coin.

How many have received this special certificate with their coin(s)?

Also, tell us how many coins were in the mint sealed box. Be nice to know the mint didn't leave us little guys out of their bonus lottery.

Edited to add: Thanks to Goldbully here's PCGS's standing rule on certifying a coin with a certificate.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another special for label collectors... Mint is getting in on this niche market. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Any guidance from PCGS or NGC on submitting these for a special label? Unfortunately you don't know you have one unless you unseal the mint shipping box. Good possibility that PCGS and NGC will require them to have been submitted in sealed mint box to be eligible for "200" label.

@PCGS_Moderator

Reference

• Options

@MetroD said:

@derryb said:

Any guidance from PCGS or NGC on submitting these for a special label? Unfortunately you don't know you have one unless you unseal the mint shipping box. Good possibility that PCGS and NGC will require them to have been submitted in sealed mint box to be eligible for "200" label.

@PCGS_Moderator

Reference

???????!!!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two Peace coins being delivered today, where is the certificate? Thanks

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to prove which coin it came with? If not there's no way to tell which coin the certificate belongs to.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    At least One forum member got one so far (not me)

@Joe_360 said:

Apparently tucked into the outer sleeve of an individual coin. Check out the 2023 Morgan and peace thread. A recipient got one tucked into their box like this

Thanks!
    That Theard is a bit too long for me... But good info from you.
    Check out the 2023 Morgan and peace thread.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    At least One forum member got one so far (not me)

@Joe_360 said:

Apparently tucked into the outer sleeve of an individual coin. Check out the 2023 Morgan and peace thread. A recipient got one tucked into their box like this

Thanks!
    That Theard is a bit too long for me... But good info from you.
    Check out the 2023 Morgan and peace thread.

It’s only long because most all of it was done before the coins shipped. Just go to the end and back up a couple of pages.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for starting this thread. All posters please remember this is for the 200 Signed Certificates information only.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@derryb said:

@MetroD said:

@derryb said:

@PCGS_Moderator

Reference

???????!!!

Unless I missed it, PCGS has not responded to any "Director's Strike" posts. Nor have they posted anything about this on their main website. (IIRC, the latter is the method they employed for 21XC.)

Just trying to 'tickle' PCGS on the issue. The telephone queue was full for the day, so I 'flagged' your thread.

My apologies if I offended you.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Is there any way to prove which coin it came with? If not there's no way to tell which coin the certificate belongs to.

The Gibson coin comes with a special COA. Reference

'How/if' PCGS is handling is TBD.

• Options

Does anyone know if most of these 200" signed certificates are mostly from preorders??

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Does anyone know if most of these 200" signed certificates are mostly from preorders??

As far as I know there isn't even any official acknowledgement of their existence yet.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are they going to say? "Hey we inserted some neat signed postcards, try to tell the difference on the coin".?

Probably inserted this way to prevent a feeding frenzy.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes I know about the COA. But it seems like it is just loose in the box and could be switched with any coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes I know about the COA. But it seems like it is just loose in the box and could be switched with any coin.

There is a "congratulations" card that is tucked into the coin's sleeve, and there is also a special COA (different color and wording, handsigned) inside the coin's case.

• Options

@JBK said:

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

There is a "congratulations" card that is tucked into the coin's sleeve, and there is also a special COA (different color and wording, handsigned) inside the coin's case.

Yes, but they can both be removed and placed into a different coins box.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@JBK said:

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yep. Hence the probable 'sealed box' requirement for a PCGS attribution.

• Options

Unless there is some way to differentiate the coins from one another the only way they could be certified is a sealed box sent to be graded. Other than that paying a premium is unwise. You would essentially be buying a signed certificate and COA that could go to any coin.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@derryb said:

@gumby1234 said:

@JBK said:

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

I suspect, if submitted in a sealed box of many coins that PCGS will recognize the coin the the Golden Ticket is inserted to.

• Options

@Goldbully examine the coins closely to see if there are any differences.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@JBK said:

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes, of course. But for what purpose?

As I posted elsewhere, the only reason would be to have an MS70 rather than a lower grade. I assume that's the reason for the TPGs' policy.

But as a special coin independent of grading, the paperwork provides the provenance. So, collectors who are interested in raw coins would presumably be fine with the arrangement.

I am still hoping someone can scrutinize the reading. The mint has the technology to use a collar with a missing reed. ;)

• Options
    edited July 17, 2023 5:34PM

Deleted

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sealed box is tho only option for the coin and certificates to be certified together. Just common sense as the only way to prevent fraud

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    The sealed box is tho only option for the coin and certificates to be certified together. Just common sense as the only way to prevent fraud

So much for me sending in only the best looking coins. They all gotta go sight unseen.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2023 6:25PM

The TPGs are loving this. Send in your entire unopened box to be graded just in case you got one of the 200. ;)

Of course, many people were going to submit anyway.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The TPGs are loving this. Send in your entire unopened box to be graded just in case you got one of the 200. ;)

Of course, many people were going to submit anyway.

So we can open the mint box just to see if we got the cert and still have these graded as FDOI and just leave the cert inside?

• Options

Have 2 boxes, tomorrow, I will post either way...

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that these will be available for sale very soon. Pick your number, any number is available. Buy 10 and receive 1 free.
    Shipping might take a few weeks from China.
    Act fast, Only $19.95 each + $5.00 shipping, combined shipping available
    Prices are subject to change
    Sorry, no returns

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, signed by Willy Wonka himself! Count me in! ;)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did the mint not use this tactic/free gift as a sales promotion? Has the mint even publicly knowledge that these are included in some boxes?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭

with only 200 certificates, the odds are pretty good that there WON.T be a certificate in any given shipment.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Joe_360 said:

As far as I know there isn't even any official acknowledgement of their existence yet.

There’s pictures of them… why would you need “official” acknowledgement?

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    with only 200 certificates, the odds are pretty good that there WON.T be a certificate in any given shipment.

At least Willy Wonka let people know that 200 existed.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2023 7:58AM

@jwitten said:

@JBK said:

@Joe_360 said:

There’s pictures of them… why would you need “official” acknowledgement?

Normally I'd expect them to confirm, announce, or otherwise publicize a special program. I was also hoping there was a distinction on the coin itself, which seems unlikely at this point.

Also, many of the questions people have been asking (including the one I was responding to) would give been answered by a mint press release.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great idea and fun for the hobby. Too bad they didn't put something on the edge of the 200 to make them stand out.

• Options

@Glen2022 said:

1 per 1375 is pretty slim pickins. There is a good chance @Goldbully may be the only member of this forum to get one directly from the mint.

• Options

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

1 per 1375 is pretty slim pickins. There is a good chance @Goldbully may be the only member of this forum to get one directly from the mint.

Link

• Options

I opened my 2 boxes, nothing special. I wonder if these will be selling on eBay?

• Options

@MetroD said:

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

Link

:D I’m still hoping one of my 2 coming today will have one, but I’m not going to send the original box unopened for grading. The odds are too long. Lots of luck to those hoping to receive one.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Normally I'd expect them to confirm, announce, or otherwise publicize a special program. I'm was also hoping there was a distinction on the coin itself, which seems unlikely at thus point.

Also, many of the questions people have been asking (including the one I was responding to) would give been answered by a mint press release.

There is also the 'advance notice' aspect.

Not everyone reads this forum, and not everyone here immediately detected the revelation from @Goldbully on page #18 of the "official thread".

I am NOT saying that advance knowledge would have changed the unboxing plans for a majority of customers. Notwithstanding, I am confident that some customers would have taken the chance on submitting a sealed box, if they had known in a timely manner, due to the potential payoff. For example, @Rockdogz.

In the past, the Mint has announced signed COAs in advance. For example, 21XK. Failing to do so this time deprived some customers of the opportunity to pursue a PCGS certified COA, and the 'associated/potential' payoff.

• Options

The mint prefers to be reactive and not proactive. Why would they ever want to plan for success!

• Options

Savvy move by the Mint.

Pre- announcement of a limited certificate would create too much noise, speculation.

Disappointed customers creates discontent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file