Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 peace dollar "one of 200" signed Willie Wonka golden ticket tracking thread - UPDATE!

Comments

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    I got my usmint sealed box of 2 today.
    I'm going to keep it sealed for awhile, unsubmitted.
    I think I have COAs 1 0f 200 and 2 of 200 in there ;)

you could have the famous "brick in the box" lol

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is too bad they did not indicate which boxes had the special COA on the outside of the box. Then you would know before you opened the box.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

possibly the first 200 of the run they have the director of the mint do the honors

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has there been any word about a golden ticket hiding in the Morgans yet?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGS_Moderator said:
    This has been escalated on our end and we are still waiting to hear back from the US Mint on the details of the "Golden Ticket". Thanks for your patience.

You folks are the best!

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Has there been any word about a golden ticket hiding in the Morgans yet?

None in my box. I haven't heard anyone else reporting one in the Morgans yet either.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:
    with only 200 certificates, the odds are pretty good that there WON.T be a certificate in any given shipment.

1 per 1375 is pretty slim pickins. There is a good chance @Goldbully may be the only member of this forum to get one directly from the mint.

If you read through the other thread, you would have seen @Rockdogz opened his order of two Peace Dollars and had a signed COA... There is a good chance those will be the only two members of this forum to get one directly from the mint.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:
    with only 200 certificates, the odds are pretty good that there WON.T be a certificate in any given shipment.

1 per 1375 is pretty slim pickins. There is a good chance @Goldbully may be the only member of this forum to get one directly from the mint.

No doubt, VaultBox has better odds. :D
    Sorry I couldn't resist.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 4:54PM

@UpGrayedd said:

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I get it, but a forum member recently mentioned, "does the Mint include the bulk buyers in this special 'signed Director's Strike COA promo?' I think this would send the wrong message to the modern coin collecting public. A David vs Goliath thing if you will. JMHO.

edited to add: I think it's awesome that @Rockdogz got the signed COA with only 2 out of 275,000 chances.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I get it, but a forum member recently mentioned, "does the Mint include the bulk buyers in this special 'signed Director's Strike COA promo?' I think this would send the wrong message to the modern coin collecting public. A David vs Goliath thing if you will. JMHO.

edited to add: I think it's awesome that @Rockdogz got the signed COA with only 2 out of 275,000 chances.

I understand and I was just making a dumb joke. As my wife often tells me "you're the only person that thinks that's funny." I should probably take a hint, but hey life's too short to not have fun, IMHO. With that said, I really do appreciate you sharing your find with the forum. It was definitely breaking news.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

I understand and I was just making a dumb joke. As my wife often tells me "you're the only person that thinks that's funny." I should probably take a hint, but hey life's too short to not have fun, IMHO. With that said, I really do appreciate you sharing your find with the forum. It was definitely breaking news.

I chuckled and I'm sure others did too.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the concern if you scored a cert that if do not open the box it could / would be stolen? Ie no way to know number 1 belongs to coin #1 since it’s not marked on the coin?

Are TPA’s under camera review?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Is the concern if you scored a cert that if do not open the box it could / would be stolen? Ie no way to know number 1 belongs to coin #1 since it’s not marked on the coin?

Are TPA’s under camera review?

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/faq

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGS_Moderator said:
    This has been escalated on our end and we are still waiting to hear back from the US Mint on the details of the "Golden Ticket". Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for looking into this ASAP. All are waiting to hear the full info on this

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened my box and nothing.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody tried using a ultraviolet light to see if the mint put a number on the coins???
    That's about the ONLY way that you can attribute a specific coin to the "Golden Ticket" slash "Willie Wonka" certificate.
    I certainly hope that people don't get burned by this hype over a piece of paper.
    JMHO

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2023 5:22PM

I wonder if Goldbully still believes special labels, signatures and other “hype” on related modern coins should carry nearly no added value? 😂

Wondercoin

P.S. - Congratulations Goldbully. 😜

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2023 5:44PM

In the days before slabs I think this sort of provenance would have been more accepted as significant in the hobby. :*

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you can direct to encapsulate the COAs and pay $20/coin for that with the speculation that you might have a serialized one of the 200 (and another $25 if so). I guess if opting out of the first strike labeling, it is pretty equivalent. Not sure if the market cares much for the first strike labels anyway, at least any more than the certified COAs. (I generally have lost money on the first strikes, which are of dubious merit anyway.)

Any evidence that there are signed COAs among the Morgans too?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the packages are opened to check for the “Golden Ticket” does that mean the coins inside are no longer eligible for First Strike label.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 9:23PM

@alefzero said:
    So you can direct to encapsulate the COAs and pay $20/coin for that with the speculation that you might have a serialized one of the 200 (and another $25 if so). I guess if opting out of the first strike labeling, it is pretty equivalent. Not sure if the market cares much for the first strike labels anyway, at least any more than the certified COAs. (I generally have lost money on the first strikes, which are of dubious merit anyway.)

Details TBD.

Best Case - You would not have to pay to encapsulate every COA. If PCGS discovered a Director's COA in a sealed submission, they would notify the submitter, and get their authorization to add a single COA encapsulation to the order.

Edited for content.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 7:50PM

@robec said:
    If the packages are opened to check for the “Golden Ticket” does that mean the coins inside are no longer eligible for First Strike label.

You are able to submit 'unboxed/raw' coins for the FS designation prior to the cutoff date.

The Rule:

The Cutoff Dates:

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

Edited for clarity.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:
    Is there any way to prove which coin it came with? If not there's no way to tell which coin the certificate belongs to.

The Gibson coin comes with a special COA. Reference

'How/if' PCGS is handling is TBD.

Yes I know about the COA. But it seems like it is just loose in the box and could be switched with any coin.

It looks to me like it’s tucked securely into one box.

This is why you can't open the box. You must submit it sealed.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

Which coins are you losing money on with first strike labels? I always pay a premium for first strike coins.

• Options

An article in Coin World yesterday confirmed the 200 Peace coins were struck on July 10 and randomly inserted in orders. There was no mention of the Morgan having anything.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2023 5:48AM

since pop reports show no Willie Wonka labels it is likely none of the 200 special coins were shipped in all those hundreds of bulk submissions that got autographed labels. Likely that the "special" coins were not placed in "early" shipments? Otherwise wouldn't PCGS have attributed them in the pops report?

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options

Coin World...................

Production at the Philadelphia Mint of Uncirculated 2023-P Peace dollars included 200 coins struck July 10 by U.S. Mint Director Ventris C. Gibson and packaged with certificates of authenticity and “Congratulations” cards announcing the special strike.

The boxed coins struck by Gibson were randomly inserted into shipments to customers who ordered the numismatic product. Sales for the coin opened to the public at noon Eastern Time July 13, priced at $76.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/specially-struck-2023-peace-dollars-randomly-shipped

• Options

@derryb said:
    since pop reports show no Willie Wonka labels it is likely none of the 200 special coins were shipped in all those hundreds of bulk submissions that got autographed labels. Likely that the "special" coins were not placed in "early" shipments? Otherwise wouldn't PCGS have attributed them in the pops report?

Bulk sales from the mint are in capsules only and do not include any packaging and therefor no golden tickets

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said:

Bulk sales from the mint are in capsules only and do not include any packaging and therefor no golden tickets

so the little guys got one over on the big boys. :)

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I'm pretty sure bulk buyers don't get the packaging, so I really don't think that's a legitimate worry. And, yes, the Mint is acutely aware of the value of getting things like this in the hands of retail buyers, which is why we are seeing these turn up in random boxes on the forum.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I opened my boxes and nothing!
    Just classically beautiful silver coins in perfect condition. Darn!

• Options

So they weren't the first 200 struck...or even necessarily the last 200 struck.

Just a novelty, then. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to get one in my shipment. But the people who sold on ebay for $1000+ were probably smart. ;)

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Just a novelty, then. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to get one in my shipment. But the people who sold on ebay for $1000+ were probably smart. ;)

Correct, just 1 of 200 coins struck by Ventris herself, randomly throughout the 275,000 total. Still a neat item

• Options

@JBK said:

I would be happier than pigs in mud to get $1,000 for one or even $500 from one of my friends on the Forum. :)

• Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Decided to list it. If it sells - great! I can buy some more coins. If it doesn't - great! It's a pretty neat item and I feel lucky to have one of my coins selected.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/195895824999

• Options

@Rockdogz said:
    Decided to list it. If it sells - great! I can buy some more coins. If it doesn't - great! It's a pretty neat item and I feel lucky to have one of my coins selected.

Good luck!

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Hope to have one in my box of Peace Dollars but I was lucky enough to meet Director Gibson at the WFOM US Mint Booth last year where she had a meet the people and card signing . She also posed for a photograph of herself holding the card with the patron. She is a very nice person.

• Options
    edited July 22, 2023 5:51PM

@Rockdogz said:

I see you have a bid. :)

Personally, I would have gone with a shorter auction or BIN, but presumably it will work out as is.

Nice return on investment!

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@Rockdogz said:

Indeed a nice ROI Way to go!
    You might want to clarify that it's #82 of 200 - to avoid any buyer disappointment - if they think they're getting #1.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGS_Moderator said:

You folks are the best!> @HATTRICK said:

@derryb said:

That is not true for all products. You're thinking of the ASE's, I think?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally opened my 3 Peace Dollars to find no Golden Tickets....just the normal ones. But the coins looked great!

• Options
    edited July 22, 2023 4:45PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@PCGS_Moderator said:

You folks are the best!> @HATTRICK said:

That is what Magic Mike said when he was selling his FDOI Morgan and Peace dollars. You know his word is gospel. :D

• Options

@HATTRICK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

FWIW, there is a separate line in the sales report for "40 coin".

Source: https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

On the 2022 Proof-S ASE, "40 coin" meant "bulk pack" (i.e., no packaging, but included COAs).

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2022-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-bulk-pack-22EM040.html

• Options

@MetroD said:

@HATTRICK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

FWIW, there is a separate line in the sales report for "40 coin".

On the 2022 Proof-S ASE, "40 coin" meant "bulk pack" (i.e., no packaging, but included COAs).

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2022-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-bulk-pack-22EM040.html

Never seen the bulk submission order page before....thanks @MetroD.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Another special for label collectors... Mint is getting in on this niche market. Cheers, RickO

Maybe they'll team up with the Vault Box people next.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2023 2:23AM

Don't need the ASE "bulk pack" reference any longer.

The Unc. Peace 'was/is' available in a "bulk pack" (i.e., no packaging, but includes COAs).

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/peace-silver-dollar-uncirculated-coin-bulk-pack-23XH040.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file