Home U.S. Coin Forum

2023 peace dollar "one of 200" signed Willie Wonka golden ticket tracking thread - UPDATE!

Comments

• robecrobec Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 6:27PM

@rip_f said:

@Rockdogz said:
    Decided to list it. If it sells - great! I can buy some more coins. If it doesn't - great! It's a pretty neat item and I feel lucky to have one of my coins selected.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/195895824999

Indeed a nice ROI Way to go!
    You might want to clarify that it's #82 of 200 - to avoid any buyer disappointment - if they think they're getting #1.

He does provide a photo of the signed certificate showing it is number 082 of 200.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping for 69's, they're gonna be rare.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    This from Coin World online today....

Mint Director Ventris Gibson personally struck 200 of the Uncirculated 2023 Peace dollars and then signed and numbered a certificate of authenticity for each coin. The 200 coins themselves, however, are indistinguishable from the other tens of thousands of identical examples of the product, and that lies at the heart of the negative reactions being voiced online at collector forums. (It should be noted that everything you read here is based on what collectors and dealers are reporting. We have bombarded the Mint with questions, but as of the close of this issue on July 19, no response had been received.)

Personally struck? Or pressed the button?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

Mint Director Ventris Gibson personally struck 200 of the Uncirculated 2023 Peace dollars and then signed and numbered a certificate of authenticity for each coin. The 200 coins themselves, however, are indistinguishable from the other tens of thousands of identical examples of the product, and that lies at the heart of the negative reactions being voiced online at collector forums. (It should be noted that everything you read here is based on what collectors and dealers are reporting. We have bombarded the Mint with questions, but as of the close of this issue on July 19, no response had been received.)

I believe that it's all buttons these days when coins are "manually struck".

I struck a coin at the Royal Mint in England. I pressed a button from behind a plexiglass screen. But I got to take it home after having paid for the privilege. :)

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin with certificate #82 on Ebay now has seven bids. latest is $1,518 + shipping

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    edited July 24, 2023 10:11AM

@ProofCollection said:

@JBK said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

I believe that it's all buttons these days when coins are "manually struck".

I struck a coin at the Royal Mint in England. I pressed a button from behind a plexiglass screen. But I got to take it home after having paid for the privilege. :)

Cool. Did you create a COA for it?

They popped it into a special folder with a description of what it was. :)

If I ever go back I'm going to see if I can brave the attendant to let me make an error. (I think the burning only allowed one press at a time).

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

I’m sure a button was pushed and left on for a specific amount of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if several hundred to a few thousands were minted during that time, but only 200 were used for the signed certificates.

@robec said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

I’m sure a button was pushed and left on for a specific amount of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if several hundred to a few thousands were minted during that time, but only 200 were used for the signed certificates.

What! So you're saying the process is automated, and no operator action is required for each coin? A coin with a mintage of 200,000 doesn't require 200,000 button pushes? :p

@ProofCollection said:

@robec said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

What! So you're saying the process is automated, and no operator action is required for each coin? A coin with a mintage of 200,000 doesn't require 200,000 button pushes? :p

Not exactly what I’m saying, but you are correct. I’m only saying the director probably didn’t do exactly 200.

@ProofCollection said:

@robec said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

I'm assuming these are struck one at a time. If they were done on the automated high-speed presses they would be heavily "bag-marked".

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    The coin with certificate #82 on Ebay now has seven bids. latest is $1,518 + shipping

Insane...................
    I wonder when the ones from china will start showing up

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't open my boxes. (Have 12 Peace and 12 Morgan.) But put a note on my submission form to slab the COA if it a signed and numbered director's one. Not sure what else to do.

I got one Morgan and one Peace. both had dings and marks and I had to return. Oh well.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ProofCollection said:

@robec said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldbully said:

I'm assuming these are struck one at a time. If they were done on the automated high-speed presses they would be heavily "bag-marked".

No, the current presses at the San Fran mint have the capability to eject the coins into trays. Take a look at this video, from 2:00 to 2:20.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMAY-53a-A

Coin Photographer.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@HATTRICK said:

Insane...................
    I wonder when the ones from china will start showing up

They don't have to fake the coin now. Just the cardboard and paper inserts.

Insane is right. Congrats for selling it right away before people realize that the coin is exactly the same as all the others.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

82/200 cert sold for $2700 on the bay and nobody here talking about it any longer. ????? no other certs found? no mad rush to buy sealed mint packages of these peace dollars? I thought there'd be a lot more interest/intrigue. what happened?

@Onedollarnohollar said:

82/200 cert sold for $2700 on the bay and nobody here talking about it any longer. ????? no other certs found? no mad rush to buy sealed mint packages of these peace dollars? I thought there'd be a lot more interest/intrigue. what happened?

The one I saw sold for $2850. Which is an impressive for a COA.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is PCGS labeling these if the sealed box is sent in and one happens to be found within? I have a sealed box of 5 and am debating opening it to try my luck at a golden ticket or subbing the box to PCGS.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Is PCGS labeling these if the sealed box is sent in and one happens to be found within? I have a sealed box of 5 and am debating opening it to try my luck at a golden ticket or subbing the box to PCGS.

open and take the money and run

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@Onedollarnohollar I have no interest in these. Others might. If I received one I would sell it immediately. Take the money and run.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

open and take the money and run

I’m in a different camp. I reduced my subscriptions on the Morgan and Peace uncirculated dollars from five of each to one a few days before the cutoff. I have three of the 2021’s and am not in a hurry to open the one 2023 I received but in the event one of the TPG’s does decide to slab with the attribution of “Congratulations Peace” it will be well worth the risk.
    I know the chances are slim to none but I don’t see the harm in holding out on what otherwise is an 85-135 dollar coin if it grades well.

• Danno44Danno44 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2023 5:05PM

PCGS pop report shows 1 “Directors Strike” MS70 (sorry if posted elsewhere)

edited August 1, 2023 5:31PM

Be interesting what the label says and what value the price guide eventually shows for it. Only price guide currently available is for David Hall signatures on Peace MS 70 @ $750.

added thanks to MetroD:

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danno44 said:

The 'Pop Report' currently shows two of them:
    ~ 1 x FS (926931);
    ~ and, 1 x FDOI (927084).

Moon Money !!!

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    edited August 1, 2023 5:28PM

Interesting, isn't FDOI for bulk submitters only? I would have thought the 200 COAs would have been allocated to non-bulk purchasers (accompanied only with complete mint packaging), but I guess that is not the case.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Danno44 said:

~ 1 x FS (926931);

Not sure how that submitter knew he/she had the Director's Strike COA. PCGS must have alerted that submitter.

@ProofCollection said:
    Interesting, isn't FDOI for bulk submitters only? I would have thought the 200 COAs would have been allocated to non-bulk purchasers, but I guess that is not the case.

I expect you will see a number of them.

edited August 1, 2023 5:32PM

@Goldbully said:

@MetroD said:

@Danno44 said:

~ 1 x FS (926931);

Not sure how that submitter knew he/she had the Director's Strike COA. PCGS must have alerted that submitter.

likely PCGS automatically upgraded the label at no charge. Submitter got two bonuses.

@ProofCollection said:
    Interesting, isn't FDOI for bulk submitters only? I would have thought the 200 COAs would have been allocated to non-bulk purchasers (accompanied only with complete mint packaging), but I guess that is not the case.

Source: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13543522/#Comment_13543522

edited August 1, 2023 5:35PM

@derryb said:

@Goldbully said:

@MetroD said:

@Danno44 said:

~ 1 x FS (926931);

or PCGS automatically upgraded the label.

You're saying they saw the special COA and just upgraded the submission? They would have to alert the submitter because of the $25 up charge(Big Deal in this case). Am I not correct?

edited to ad: And the $20 COA slab charge.

Apparently not. But one way or another, if you can get your coin slabbed as Congratulations 1 of 200 you are looking at a coin that will equal the 1995 W Pr in pricing.

edited August 1, 2023 5:44PM

guesses for first documented sale of certified MS70 director label?

I'll start with $8500

Be interesting to know if anyone with an order of three or less Peace dollars found the Director Cert in the box or did mint just stick one in larger orders only?

@derryb said:
    guesses for first documented sale of certified MS70 director label?

I'll start with $8500

Be interesting to know if anyone with an order of three or less Peace dollars found the Director Cert in the box or did mint just stick one in larger orders only?

@Rockdogz reported finding one in a box of two. Link

Meanwhile, I get to sit and stare at my Director's Strike COA and wonder.

Weren't they all made at the same time do what is with FDOI? Wouldn't they all be FDOI in that case?

I have no idea what the PCGS standard will be for certification but I’m guessing that “Unopened Packaging “ will be a big part of the process.

@gumby1234 said:
    Weren't they all made at the same time do what is with FDOI? Wouldn't they all be FDOI in that case?

I think most coins are fully produced before they go on sale so in those cases every coin should be FDOI-eligible, technically. For some reason though there seems to be a value to knowing that a coin was either submitted immediately or submitted after 30 days but without looking at it first.

@ProofCollection said:

@gumby1234 said:

I think most coins are fully produced before they go on sale so in those cases every coin should be FDOI-eligible, technically. For some reason though there seems to be a value to knowing that a coin was either submitted immediately or submitted after 30 days but without looking at it first.

But these 200 director strike coins should have all been made at the same exact time.

edited August 1, 2023 7:28PM

@gumby1234 said:

@ProofCollection said:

@gumby1234 said:

But these 200 director strike coins should have all been made at the same exact time.

The FDOI designation is not based on manufacturing 'timing/dates/order'.

Source: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13543522/#Comment_13543522

Edited - added "timing", and FDOI screenshot.

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

@ProofCollection said:

@gumby1234 said:

The FDOI designation is not based on manufacturing 'dates/order'.

OK but if one is certified FDOI shouldn't all 200 of them be?

@gumby1234 said:

@MetroD said:

@gumby1234 said:

@ProofCollection said:

@gumby1234 said:

The FDOI designation is not based on manufacturing 'dates/order'.

OK but if one is certified FDOI shouldn't all 200 of them be?

No. A specific Director's coin will be designated FDOI, if, and only if, it meets the FDOI criteria.

See my edited 10:16 PM post above for the FDOI criteria.

Glad I don't chase all these inane labels.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it's time to send my sealed box of 5 to PCGS after all for a spin of the wheel!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@gumby1234 said:

FDOI is a BS designation to separate fools from their money. To me the only worthwhile designation is 70 for condition.

@BucketHead said:
    Apparently not. But one way or another, if you can get your coin slabbed as Congratulations 1 of 200 you are looking at a coin that will equal the 1995 W Pr in pricing.

I highly doubt that they will be worth the same as a 95W Proof ASE. The 95W proof ASE was only available with the purchase of the gold set AND its not the same as the millions of other ASE of that year. These coins are exactly the same except they come with a COA that is different.

I would suggest to anybody that gets one whether they get it certified or not is to take the moneyed run as quickly as possible.

@gumby1234 said:

@BucketHead said:

I highly doubt that they will be worth the same as a 95W Proof ASE. The 95W proof ASE was only available with the purchase of the gold set AND its not the same as the millions of other ASE of that year. These coins are exactly the same except they come with a COA that is different.

I would suggest to anybody that gets one whether they get it certified or not is to take the moneyed run as quickly as possible.

Well these will be rarer but I don't see them being included in any registry sets so hard to say.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file