Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2023 9:34AM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Lovely @Project Numismatics

I had to go see if it had a TV ... love the misplaced digits and lettering!

Thank you! The TV turned out fantastic - great job by PCGS. Considerable die rotation too as you can see in my slab shot. I bought this raw from Cole Hendrickson early this year - it's an upgrade from a NGC AU55 F-165BJ-24a.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics , is that Vine street in Cincinnati?

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    @Project Numismatics , is that Vine street in Cincinnati?

Yes - From Fuld:

"Stanton shop, Cincinnati. Haas is the German word for rabbit, the motif shown on certain tokens. Carl or Karl in German is equivalent to Charles in English. Listed as Charles Haas during the Civil War at the address on the token. In 1862 he also had a bakery at 320 West 5th Street. The typical coffee house of the era was a higher-level establishment than a saloon and often served as a meeting spot for clubs, groups, and businessmen. Coffee and food were served along with alcoholic beverages (unless if was a temperance establishment). The Haas token series extensive and tokens with the rabbit motif are especially popular."

There are numerous Cincinnati CWT issues - Fuld has 65 pages of Cincinnati issues and has this to say:

"The store cards attributed to Ohio are the most numerous among the state series. Over 100 towns and cities yielded over 3,100 different die and metal combinations. Particularly extensive is the series relating to Cincinnati, this being the home of two especially important makers of tokens, the shops of W.K. Lanphear and John Stanton, both of whom obligingly made special strikings for numismatics. In addition, several other die sinkers and/or token makers produced varities of such pieces, some working with the aforementioned Lanphear and Stanton facilities."

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Morning folks, having a cup of coffee on the porch and at least thinking about coins.
    Spent part of last night looking through rolls of coins with my youngest daughter, and I was taken back by her enthusiasm for it all.
    We hadn't searched through coins in a long time, so I went to the bank yesterday and grabbed a box of cents. To see the excitement in her eyes to discover a 1938 wheat penny with all the modern cents really invigorated me. While we didn't find anything of real value, it was valuable time spent. Who knows? Maybe she becomes a collector like me, and it's something we can share together throughout life. All I know is she didn't want to go to bed last night, knowing the next roll would bring another great find. :)
    I've got to get her into Civil War tokens now.
    Have a great weekend, all. Stay positive and stay caffeinated!

Ironically, my grand daughter and I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon going through rolls that I put away in the mid 60's as a kid. We found 11 of her 15 Lincoln cents that she needed for her folder. You gotta just love these memories. She was also wearing her IHC necklace that I had put together for her last birthday. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little coffee and flipping thru the lastest issue of Coin World. Nice to see the modern prices restored. Last month apparently caused some uproar. They underestimated the collectors who have moderns as one of their focuses and don’t mind seeing stable prices which they seemed to think was repetitive. Alas, it’s nice to see my SP 70 2018 reverse proof nickels holding at $85. ( back in 2021 they were $150).

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I looked through the box of coins.

Some interesting US coins going back to 1833, with likely none being valued at more than $75.00.

Plenty of non US coins going back to about 1815, from across the globe.

It was fun to snoop.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Well I looked through the box of coins.

Some interesting US coins going back to 1833, with likely none being valued at more than $75.00.

Plenty of non US coins going back to about 1815, from across the globe.

It was fun to snoop.

Half Dimes?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

No half dimes.

There is an 1833 capped bust half.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    3 crusty bucks, and a cup of coffee.

Love that Peace dollar!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Cup o Joe and checking out ole King Charles. $31 was a dollar more than I wanted to pay but he here is. Not a very flattering depiction. Jowls a hanging. Oh my 😁😂😁

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Tomorrow morning I will be spending time with a big, heavy box of coins that represent 60 to 70 years of collecting by a friend's 90+ year old father in law.

The "treasure hunt" aspect of looking through this box of coins has me wishing it was Saturday morning already.

Make sure to let us know how it works out, Kevin. Sounds like it could be very interesting.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

😳😎👍🏼
    Fantastic

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    My chemical romance

My crack addiction

Nice 108. I always liked the reverse on this one. One wonders how it held together long enough to press as many coins as it did.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Greetings folks
    Tis Saturday morning and I’m enjoying it with a delicious cup o Joe and here’s my new acquisition. Any one recall the cost of grading for the special 35th anniversary pcgs label. Got the whole ball of wax for $61. Release price for the ase was $67. Believe I did good. It’s a 70 too boot 🥾.

Answer is about $25-30. Plus shipping. Thanks buddy

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@asheland said:
    I brought Adelaide out for the day. Yes I named her. :D

And what a beautiful lady Adelaide is

Thank you! :)

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Wow, that is a beautiful piece of history! Does she have siblings

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dollarfan said:

@asheland said:

Wow, that is a beautiful piece of history! Does she have siblings

I wish! :D
    Hoping to add a similar $5 and $2.50 at some point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file