Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Uffdah’s RIPPING Journey – Packs and Vending – All Sports and Non-Sports

Comments

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very entertaining thread. Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

UFFDAH strikes again!...congrats!!...UFFDAH, I'm a Cleveland guy...what would you want for the Herb Score?

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

that McCovey is *****

Love that guy and never could understand why his cards aren't worth more.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wowsa. If I had your luck with packs, I'd be more tempted to open them.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PastaBoy said:

@UFFDAH said:
    Opened a 1969 Topps Football Wax Pack...

Nice! Richie Petitbon was my neighbor, 2 houses down, for most of my life...still lives there AFAIK. Used to hang out a lot, even after he became 'Skins HC for a season! Love Richie!

The guy came to my parents Halloween party in late 80's as a baby, pacifier and diaper and all! Think my mom still has a photo of that. lol

The good old days! HTTR

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. Those are some nice cloth stickers. Very sweet.

I don't know if I'm more excited to see you getting 10s or that there actually seems to be vintage coming out of PSA these days with 10s.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Amazing cards.

I doubt we will ever see packs of freshly ripped 62's ever again!

Only if someone like me wins the lottery

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet 10's on those cloths.

• Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

That McCovey is super awesome. Wow.

-- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those cloth stickers are amazing.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^Beautiful^^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Munsters were hilarious back in the day (1960s)...thanks for sharing!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Munster's casting was perfect!

The 81 Donruss cards look like 81 Fleer.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a Munsters documentary on YouTube that is very good. Great cards!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2023 8:23AM

Great News Chris!

It now resides in its proper holder…congrats! I see the serial number begins w/6. I assume then…you cracked it out of the old holder and submitted for review?

That is a stunning card…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always thought it was too sharp for an 8 - wonderful job!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the .5 bump. That is one great Jim Brown rookie card.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2023 12:01PM

Amazing 8.5 congrats I would think that it is now a 6 figure card vs lower 5 figures!!! That 0.5 makes a huge difference again congrats!!! I don't remember ever seen a PSA 8.5 for sale I have seen a few 8's but now many of them either.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Even though the white borders are perfectly centered, I wouldn't have thought this to be graded so high given the off center picture.> @UFFDAH said:

Top of the morning everyone. Monster News to share!!

Over a week ago my 1958 Topps Jim Brown ROOKIE that I personally pulled from a Cello Pack back in 2021 bumped to a PSA 8.5 !!

It's a bit surreal especially in light that Jim passed away this weekend.

A colossal high grade, important card in the Hobby with all the provenance to go with it.

A POP 6 with 6 Higher - NO TEN's.

>

Even though the white borders are perfectly centered, I wouldn't have figured this to be graded so high given the off center picture within the border.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2023 2:00PM

That card looks like a 9 so I see no issues with it graded 8.5. Have you ever seen the 2 PSA 10 1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky rookies geez this Brown rookie looks nicer and it was made 21 years earlier.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards - what you are seeing is present in other 8.5's and 9's. It's a non-issue.

• Options

@mintonlypls - hey Monte - Thanks!! The card was not cracked out.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing looking card.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

This is so awesome that your Brown bumped up! Most of us thought it was better than an 8 when you first pulled it. Super cool watching your video again. Somebody else probably asked you this, but how long did you wait to handle it after your celebration? As pumped up as you were I'm assuming it took a bit to calm down.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2023 4:20PM

@UFFDAH said:
    @RonSportscards - what you are seeing is present in other 8.5's and 9's. It's a non-issue.

Isn’t every copy of this card like that?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@UFFDAH said:

Isn’t every copy of this card like that?

Could be. Out of my wheelhouse. Just with so much focus on 'eye appeal' and half grading, one is instantly drawn to the offset. Amazing color, surface, corners, etc., but to me it just hits the eye wrong. JMO

• Options

Thanks @Canes8387899101 !!

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Congrats Chris!! Well deserved bump. If you don't mind me asking, what did this review cost you?

Brian

• Options

@BJY83 - thank you. Cost was $5K.

• Options

Man that is great news. Congrats!

Now can you sell me your 8? >:)

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@UFFDAH said:

was that because it bumped?...or was that the cost going in?

Congrats again!!...Should I try to bump mine?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2023 12:33PM

@azvike Part of the problem with the 8.5 grade is that PSA doesn’t seem to have a consistent view of what it means. Under the idea that a card that would be an 8 but is perfectly centered and has great eye appeal would be an 8.5, your card definitely qualifies. But I have seen just as many 8.5s that aren’t well centered. It’s also clear that certain graders just don’t ever assign half grades. So there isn’t a very reliable way to deduce what would bump and what wouldn’t.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 12:39PM

@azvike said:

@UFFDAH said:

Nice 8 but it does not look as nice as his 8.5 sorry. Like I said I think his looks like a 9.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:11PM

• Options

• Options

@Cakes said:

The 9 is sharper.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @azvike Part of the problem with the 8.5 grade is that PSA doesn’t seem to have a consistent view of what it means. Under the idea that a card that would be an 8 but is perfectly centered and has great eye appeal would be an 8.5, your card definitely qualifies. But I have seen just as many 8.5s that aren’t well centered. It’s also clear that certain graders just don’t ever assign half grades. So there isn’t a very reliable way to deduce what would bump and what wouldn’t.

To me an 8.5 is an 8. There are going to be 8's closer to 8 and some closer to 9. Having an 8.5 is supposed to take the guesswork out of it, but how many times have you seen crack outs of 8's return as 6's, 7's, 9's or even 10's. If the range of a grade can be that wide from the subjective grader on any given day, than a half grade becomes more meaningless. Number grades were for buying sight unseen, but now with everyone having a mini computer with hi-def cameras in their pocket, buying the card, not the holder, became a lot easier. I have 10's and 9's that are 8's at best. Half grades should be eliminated, but they're out there, so we have to deal with them, just like qualifiers like OC and PD.

The 100 point scale for cards was a bust. And in the coin world, can anyone honestly say they can see a difference between a PF69 and PF70? Just look at how many CAC stickers are on coins. And that's often between just .5-1 point difference using a 70 pt grading scale. I submitted coins in a damaged PF69DCAM holder. I was just looking for a reholder and they apparently reviewed them and they returned to me with PF70DCAM grades. Same coins.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@azvike said:

@UFFDAH said:

Nice 8 but it does not look as nice as his 8.5 sorry. Like I said I think his looks like a 9.

Never said it was...LOL. I think his should be a 9. Other than UFFDAH's I have yet to see a better looking 8 than mine. Check every other one on VCP and judge for yourself...

• Options

@azvike said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@azvike said:

@UFFDAH said:

Never said it was...LOL. I think his should be a 9. Other than UFFDAH's I have yet to see a better looking 8 than mine. Check every other one on VCP and judge for yourself...

Nice 8 for sure I just thought you meant it was like his sorry about the confusion. Anyone that owns a Brown rookie should be happy I remember years ago you could buy a PSA 5 or PSA 6 for a fraction of the cost I could have and should have ah well.