Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it possible to save people from themselves, or should we let them learn?

2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will never end.

Sucks that someones out a grand for a $2 coin.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the description. It says it all.
    Sometimes people have to learn for themselves.
    Martin

• Options

Yes, i agree…rather pathetic i think, kinda hard to fault the seller

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Punish thieves -

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Since it doesn't say "COPY" on the coin, isn't that illegal?

If it was made before the Hobby Protection Act of 1973, it's legal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people just can't be saved.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not even a good fake.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 26, 2023 3:26AM

@gumby1234 said:
    Some people just can't be saved.

While this is true there are many who can. I bought a California cameo Morgan after having many many of them and thought it was nice. I'd never seen one before. I never knew they could be done so well. I've never seen anything like it before.
    You can bet the next time I see one that I will know what it is.
    You can't blame the seller if they didn't know but if they did and allowed the transaction to complete well that says something about them.
    Both party's might be wrong but whose the winner and who's the loser?
    Is it possible this coin was shill bid to that level knowing a sucker was on the hook?
    The buyer should be told they paid to much. I don't think that seller in good conscience should let that buyer walk away without telling them they may be mistaken.
    It would just be the right thing to do. If they said "that's okay I still want it" then it's on them.
    Once they find out what it really is that could be one less collector. I think that sucks.
    It's just my opinion.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes people have to much money and a lesson is in order.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to play this deep in the game, you'd better know what you're doing. Otherwise, you won't be playing for long.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also sold this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275796162649?hash=item4036bb7859:g:etsAAOSwp6NkOvFU&nma=true&si=wFo5xj4RAoNRDuxsvMmKliUlmck%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

To the OP's question, it is possible to help folks with junk like this and many of us spend some time each day having listings removed. But we can't save everyone, just ones we see. Unfortunately a bad initial purchase can sour someone enough to give up on the Hobby and that would be a shame.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that. given the Item Specifics, the buyer would have some recourse for a SNAD since it states values that do not apply to the item sold despite the seller's description. Tough lesson for someone though and I don't like the negative impact on the hobby.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither, but but an effort is noble.

“We have met the enemy and he is us”.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a riding partner that used to say “if you don’t tell them how stupid they are, how will they ever know?”

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

I would imagine the buyer very unwittingly will be happy with their purchase….until….they try to sell it

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@daltex said:
    Since it doesn't say "COPY" on the coin, isn't that illegal?

If it was made before the Hobby Protection Act of 1973, it's legal.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter48&edition=prelim

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a genuine reproduction. What could go wrong? Is that much of this stuff really sold?

You see something like it on TV. One of the items is a “1909-O half eagle layered in genuine 24 K gold! These were made to sell for $39.95, but for this pre-sale TV offer, you can get one for only $9.95!”

How many saps are drawn to this?

A slightly more legitimate game is “One pound of Morgan Silver Dollars, guaranteed to be in collector grade Very Good condition with fully readable dates and mint marks.” All the while they are showing you a Mint State coin that probably grades MS-65. They don’t tell you the price. You have to call. It’s got to be well over $500 for a 16 or 17 junky coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

If people care to learn, there are plenty of places to find quality information. This wasn't always true, but it is now.

The quest for more understanding lead me to this place, and I've gone from numismatic idiot, second class to enough knowledge to be right much of the time.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a link to my 50 Coin Week articles...

https://coinweek.com/?s=Jack+D.+Young+counterfeits

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

On and on it goes..................................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2023 11:32PM

Greed…buyers have to learn the hard hard. If the coin isn’t holdered for key dates, the seller and the coin are both frauds.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I still don't understand why somebody would buy a key date coin, or expensive coin, that has not already been certified by a major TPGS.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay sells life vests, too. Save yourselves.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Greed…buyers have to learn the hard hard. If the coin isn’t holdered for key dates, the seller and the coin are both frauds.

That statement hurts. I've submitted many key dates that were authentic and genuine. I lost money and made money in this process, due to issues with coins. I've sold keys with problems, raw. But full disclosure is not fraud , nor is it greedy.
    I don't think it's fraud to have raw key dates for sale. And incidentally , I've reluctantly cracked key date coins that I submitted....for buyers who insist their coins are raw. Always a caveat.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the response I received from seller weeks ago when I confronted.

It’s not our opinion that they are all cast, some maybe but well done & some are good high quality reproductions which I’ve put in the description. These are very hard to find even as high end reproductions.

Regards, Greg

I reported all of the seller's coins for being counterfeit.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@ARCO said:

That statement hurts. I've submitted many key dates that were authentic and genuine. I lost money and made money in this process, due to issues with coins. I've sold keys with problems, raw. But full disclosure is not fraud , nor is it greedy.
    I don't think it's fraud to have raw key dates for sale. And incidentally , I've reluctantly cracked key date coins that I submitted....for buyers who insist their coins are raw. Always a caveat.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with selling coins raw, key date or otherwise. I should not be forced to spend $35 to slab a coin to gain $0 in value...or even $34 in value. If you don't want to buy raw coins, then don't. It is the exact opposite of fraudulent for a buyer and seller to willingly engage in commerce on a raw coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience can be our best teacher (in most cases)

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't help them, it's their own fault.

• Options

You can't really help them.

Years ago I was at a country coin auction sitting next to a lawyer I knew casually from a local BM. There were a number of key date Lincoln fakes in the auction. He bought one. Then he was bidding on another. I quietly whispered to him that it was fake. He GLARED at me.

When he won it, for below catalogue, he turned to me and said, that's $500!!!

He bought a 3rd one.

Then he sent them in and they all came back fake. He was furious. He went back to the auction house, threatened legal action, etc.

Ever since then, I just sit quietly and let them buy the fakes if they want. They are more likely to get mad at you for trying to tell them than they are to listen.

It is a sad truth about human nature: people do not learn from other people's mistakes, only their own.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 9:54AM

At a similar country auction about 25 years ago I pointed out to the auctioneer/business owner that I believed the 1799 large cent in the auction to be an altered non genuine coin. I was on good terms with him and his wife, and when that lot came up, he announced that he was informed the coin could be an alteration and not authentic, so buyer beware.
    That corroded low grade pos STILL brought $1100.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2023 7:34AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@ARCO said:

Of course there are caveats. Dealer-client relationships are totally different. Time and trust have developed. Ebay shit stain scams like this are fraud. Look at the misleading headline: 1896-S Barber quarter dollar Low-mintage, key date!

No it is not a "key date", it is a F>>>ing cheap replica.

I disagree wholeheartedly on the key dates and grading. Grading a coin costs about $30.00. If you are selling to the general public and are selling a commonly counterfeited or higher priced coin (lets say $1,000 or more) and you promote a coin without TPG, then what that tells the world is that you KNOW that the coin is less than advertised or else it would be in a TPG that does not require the seller's subjective descriptions or grading of the coin.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 8:17AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@ARCO said:

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with selling coins raw, key date or otherwise. I should not be forced to spend $35 to slab a coin to gain $0 in value...or even $34 in value. If you don't want to buy raw coins, then don't. It is the exact opposite of fraudulent for a buyer and seller to willingly engage in commerce on a raw coin.

You don't holder 1896-S Barber quarters with AU details? You just sell it unholdered? That $35 is too much to spend? What high value key dates have you offered for sale that you felt spending $35.00 was not worth your time? What high value key date coin can you think of that would not have more value holdered and professionally authenticated vs raw? Did you offer these unholdered key date coins that are commonly counterfeited on an auction site? I would be curious to know.

No one is "forcing" you to spend anything. It is about your reputation as a seller. If you have trust with a buyer coming into your shop and you stand by your grading and authenticity of a coin, that is different.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing i learned is to let people fall flat on their faces from their errors they make how else are they going to learn?

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 8:48AM

On something of this caliber, if genuine, the grading fee would be chump change compared to the price difference caused by security in the coin’s certification by PCGS or NGC.

Get a 96-S Barber 25c in PCGS AU, crack it out, go to a big show, and try selling it to a dealer for AU money. Good luck!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes people hear what they want to hear.... So, an 1896s Barber quarter is a rare date just not the coin he's holding.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@ARCO said:

You don't holder 1896-S Barber quarters with AU details? You just sell it unholdered? That $35 is too much to spend? What high value key dates have you offered for sale that you felt spending $35.00 was not worth your time? What high value key date coin can you think of that would not have more value holdered and professionally authenticated vs raw? Did you offer these unholdered key date coins that are commonly counterfeited on an auction site? I would be curious to know.

No one is "forcing" you to spend anything. It is about your reputation as a seller. If you have trust with a buyer coming into your shop and you stand by your grading and authenticity of a coin, that is different.

I didn't mention any specific coin. But I have sold many crappy key or semi-key days coins in the $100 to $200 range raw because adding $35 and 6 months does not add any value to the coin. If you don't want to buy it, don't. But how dare you impugn my integrity. If I list a coin as a Fair details SVDB and sell it accordingly, that is COMPLETELY and totally ethical and honest.

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:
    On something of this caliber, if genuine, the grading fee would be chump change compared to the price difference caused by security in the coin’s certification by PCGS or NGC.

Get a 96-S Barber 25c in PCGS AU, crack it out, go to a big show, and try selling it to a dealer for AU money. Good luck!

For a 96-S in AU, yes. How about an 1877 Indian in Fair details? I gain nothing by the investment of time and money getting it graded because I can sell it as is at very near the slabbed price.

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

Many collectors are lost to the hobby forever after they discover that they were ripped-off by someone who sold them a counterfeit rare coin.

• Options

@PerryHall your comment is spot on. Can you imagine how much stronger this hobby would be?

• Options

@2windy2fish said:
    @PerryHall your comment is spot on. Can you imagine how much stronger this hobby would be?

Some would say that we'd have more competition for a limited number of rare coins. ;)

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let them learn since we learn best from our mistakes.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 9:31AM

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't mention any specific coin. But I have sold many crappy key or semi-key days coins in the $100 to $200 range raw because adding $35 and 6 months does not add any value to the coin. If you don't want to buy it, don't. But how dare you impugn my integrity. If I list a coin as a Fair details SVDB and sell it accordingly, that is COMPLETELY and totally ethical and honest.

Sure, I get it. Coins in the $100-$300 range equates to a 10%+ cost to holder. LOL, I wasn't impunging your dignity. I have already clarified that a dealer to client relationship is different because there is time and trust and the dealer will back up their coin. Did you miss that part? Did you ignore it in your rush to be offended? Obviously coins in a low price point have different metrics and considerations.

Here is what I know 100%. If an experience dealer who sells holdered and raw coins, consistently submits coins to the TPGs and then offers a raw coin that is a coin with a high price point, key date, or both, then I know 100% that the dealer KNOWS that grading the coin will bring less money than trying to pawn it off to a less informed buyer. That is an unscrupulus dealer and one that I will never buy from.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@johnny9434 said:

Many collectors are lost to the hobby forever after they discover that they were ripped-off by someone who sold them a counterfeit rare coin.

True. What I find for myself is that dealers lose my business forever. I keep collecting, but not from dealers who play stupid fraud games.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

making mistakes is part of the learning process one must go though in order not to make those errors again, yes advice can be given but will the person take that advice or not depends on them , we all have made errors just part of being human but will one learn from those errors it's all up to the person not us

and then you get the chasing after huge $$$ types no matter what is said they will jump head on onto messes cause they think they know better and they may hit huge profits

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Omegaraptor said:

For a 96-S in AU, yes.

Well, that is what we are talking about here. Glad you agree.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file