Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not Expensive but Here It Is

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have anything that is not expensive but want to say - here it is? Now may be the time.

When I was cleaning out the 3 ring binder with the pvc pages of mostly foreign coins, there were a few other things.

Here are a couple. I got these too long ago. The 1960 is getting a little brown on the edges but I kind of like that. Have not found a place for them so back in the folder. The boxed shelves are getting a little bit full. Maybe I need another one.

PS - I did not check these and now someone might inform me that one (or more) of them is not what it says it is. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2023 8:26PM

@U1chicago said:
    Cool token that came from the person whose sticker is pictured along with it.

Some of these are worth $1000! Here's one that sold for $1,125.

Even without the pedigree, it could be worth $75! Here's a set of 4 that sold for $300.

I was happy to pick this one up:

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

Even without the pedigree, it could be worth $75! Here's a set of 4 that sold for $300.

The first one was definitely helped by the Neil Armstrong pedigree.
    I've seen more of these on eBay over the last year in various grades. The most recent sale of a 69 RD was $63 plus shipping. I recall some lower grades going for about half (same as it would cost to grade it-unless the seller sent them in a bulk sub).

Your silver example is awesome! I did not know they were made in that composition.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2023 9:05PM

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

The first one was definitely helped by the Neil Armstrong pedigree.
    I've seen more of these on eBay over the last year in various grades. The most recent sale of a 69 RD was $63 plus shipping. I recall some lower grades going for about half (same as it would cost to grade it-unless the seller sent them in a bulk sub).

Your silver example is awesome! I did not know they were made in that composition.

Thanks! These are all fun pieces and designs. I love how many of the copper ones come in great condition. I've only run across 2 other silver specimens, also sold as part of the Armstrong Family Collection.

Howard C. Weinberger published some good info on these here:

http://www.spaceflownartifacts.com/flown_moon_money_tokens.html

• Options
    edited January 16, 2023 11:24PM

@fluffy155 said:
    Not coins, but here they are:

Steve Hanke has talked inflation a lot but this type of stuff I just can not comprehend.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@ricko Yes sometimes the monetary value is not the important thing.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 6:56PM

@lilolme said:
    Do you have anything that is not expensive but want to say - here it is? Now may be the time.

When I was cleaning out the 3 ring binder with the pvc pages of mostly foreign coins, there were a few other things.

Here are a couple. I got these too long ago. The 1960 is getting a little brown on the edges but I kind of like that. Have not found a place for them so back in the folder. The boxed shelves are getting a little bit full. Maybe I need another one.

PS - I did not check these and now someone might inform me that one (or more) of them is not what it says it is. :)

Great idea for a thread! Sorry but I have to say something after seeing those nice '82 cents in the pvc - please get them outta there and into something better for long term storage. :o

• Options

@jedm Thanks for the warning. I had looked at them previously when I was cleaning up the 3 ring pvc pages full or mostly foreign coins. The 'holder' for the 1982 does not have the typical bad smell. Also the slot in the upper right is empty and not sealed and I can grab that edge/corner and pry it up. It is not soft and flexible but more firm like the saflips that I have. Since the holder seems okay and they have been in there for maybe close to 40 years, I left them alone.

• Options

@vulcanize I like that old holder. Want your two bucks back? :)

@OAKSTAR Now that seems like a deal.

• Options

Digging in the old boxes again and more bicentennial. A few of these. Might have to give to kids/teens at Xmas or something, wether they want them or not. :)

• Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

More junk from the 70's. Gold plated Bicentennial half dollars and a 23 karat gold stamp. I think I got this from a newspaper ad.

Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

This was given to me by my wife(still) on our 25th ann. Has never been out of it's plastic holder, always in it's original vel

vet box. Don't know what toned it but I love it, and her!

• Options

@BeeMan I have some gold plated Kennedy's of another 'thing' and have seen other types. Now this one. I am beginning to wonder how many millions of gold plated Kennedy's there might be. :)

@Spawnfreek A definite 'keeper'. That toning is different and some of it almost looks 3D (or with a thickness to it).

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more... (MPC fractionals)

• Options

@OAKSTAR That is one of the things I have thought about getting many times. That is some inexpensive errors. Just kind of neat. Maybe I will finally pick up a few. But recently I have been going through boxed up stuff that has been around awhile and figuring if it is time to go. :)

@clarke442 I can remember when I was a kid seeing/getting 'free' stuff at the bank, gas station or similar. Days gone by.

@BillJones I like the label of shell case copper on that one. Will look into that.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    This one was in the box with the Ike.
    Hey, where is the blue'ish? :)

I've got the same set without the outside packaging to hold the coins.

Had it for years, and it's not as nice looking as yours. Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Okay looked up those shell case copper cents. Hope I don't mess it up but from coinfacts, redbook and a couple of other sources the composition of the cent was changed for 1944, 45, and 46 to 95% copper 5% zinc. Before and after this the wheat cent was 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc. Then it is stated that (war) copper shell casings were used to make the 1944, 45 and 46 cents. However, it is not clear (found various opinions) in the sources what percent of the mintage were shell case copper. It is noted that the 1944 P cent was the first one to exceed 1 billion mintage (1,435,400,000). So a lot of them with the D and S mintage putting that year well over 2 billion. Cool.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    @OAKSTAR That is one of the things I have thought about getting many times. That is some inexpensive errors. Just kind of neat. Maybe I will finally pick up a few. But recently I have been going through boxed up stuff that has been around awhile and figuring if it is time to go. :)

@clarke442 I can remember when I was a kid seeing/getting 'free' stuff at the bank, gas station or similar. Days gone by.

@BillJones I like the label of shell case copper on that one. Will look into that.

@lilolme The shell case cents were made from metal recovered spent World War II shell cases. It is mentioned in The Red Book. The comment was, “The color was a little different, but few people saw the difference.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

As I wheat collector love that set!!!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice @CoinHoarder! They just seem to have a lot of character.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR @CoinHoarder
    Yes - some more of those small holders. I don't recall anything about the one I have. Just found it in the box that I packed up years ago. Oakstar yours appears to be in very good shape. Mine was a little scratchy and foggy (and the noted crack) and why I opened the lid to take picture. Again, nice and compact. :)

• Options

@lilolme- Your initial post of the 1982 set, reminded me of mine with a slight twist. Again, I tested my nonprofessional grading skills and this one somewhat paid off.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @lilolme- Your initial post of the 1982 set, reminded me of mine with a slight twist. Again, I tested my nonprofessional grading skills and this one somewhat paid off.

How do they say it - Whaaaaat?
    I would not even have thought to look at them close enough to attempt a grading.
    Good job on that one.

• Options

@lilolme said:

@OAKSTAR said:

How do they say it - Whaaaaat?
    I would not even have thought to look at them close enough to attempt a grading.
    Good job on that one.

Same here. I've seen several of these sets over the years. I look at them very closely from now on!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file