Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

March 2023 Pick-Ups

Will start it out with Stan the Man. Even though I am a Cubs fan, I think his cards are way under/priced. Should be a tick below Mays and Aaron.

Comments

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'll be able to contribute to the March madness Pick-Ups...my card cash is running a little low right now... :)

• rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Will start it out with Stan the Man. Even though I am a Cubs fan, I think his cards are way under/priced. Should be a tick below Mays and Aaron.

Such a nice pickup. Good start to March!

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad...

Beautiful Stan the Man! Congrats!

mint_only_pls
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some might see greater value over Aaron and Mays given the years Musial played without having a card issued. The 1953 Bowman Musial is a classic... while it seems readily available, it just has a great look.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Mathewson is beautiful. Love the color on it. Congrats.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    Here's another vintage pickup I made. This is my first HOF none Pirate T206. I feel the card has very nice eye appeal even with the creases.

Great looking 1.5 for sure. Congrats.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Star Wars cards are cool!

@BPorter26 said:
    Here's another vintage pickup I made. This is my first HOF none Pirate T206. I feel the card has very nice eye appeal even with the creases.

I think that Matty is exactly what such a card should look like. Natural and stunning. Odd time, perhaps, to bring this up, by wouldn't it be "nicer" if PSA would put "Authentic/Unaltered" on such cards rather than a grade? Who wants to wear a shirt that says "Poor" or "Fair" on it? Like anything below a VG 3. Maybe that's an option--I don't know.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Topps' Throwback Thursday has a new Star Wars set run - 3 per week

I like the simple design - so I decided to add it to my PC - here's the first 3:

What are we Throwing Back to? Because they look very little like '52 Topps.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:

I like the simple design - so I decided to add it to my PC - here's the first 3:

Good point….Exactly which Star Wars set prior to 1977 do you think they should have Thrown It Back to look like???

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Neither do '52 Topps Heritage but most forgave them.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

@1951WheatiesPremium Fabulous stuff… thanks for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.
  • PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2023 6:36AM

@threeofsix said:

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:

Good point….Exactly which Star Wars set prior to 1977 do you think they should have Thrown It Back to look like???

They are "throwbacks" for baseball designs applied to Star Wars. So sets #1-4 are '52 Tops, set #5 (probably through#8) are '84 design now. (https://www.topps.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+throwback+thursday+star+wars)

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 said:
    These were February pickups but just got around to scanning them.

Pretty great centering on that ‘65 Mantle; not easy to find for that card. Incidentally, that was my first Mickey Mantle card.

(I still have it. 😁)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@PastaBoy said:

@threeofsix said:

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:

They are "throwbacks" for baseball designs applied to Star Wars. So sets #1-4 are '52 Tops, set #5 (probably through#8) are '84 design now. (https://www.topps.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+throwback+thursday+star+wars)

Got it!!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

That Clemente Auto is off the charts!

It's been a long, long time!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

A nice one came in today!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Here is a POP 1 - no others. A last year purchase I forgot to share.

Wow! That's incredible!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:

The colors pop on that Banks. Looks great for the grade. Love seeing all the Chicago cards you post.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@Chicago1976 said:

The colors pop on that Banks. Looks great for the grade. Love seeing all the Chicago cards you post.

Thank you brad. I was looking for a low to mid grade copy that didn't look like a total beater. This one looked great for a 3.5 and was priced right for my budget. Had centering and corner issues I could live with...lol.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

Holy Cow, Batman. How in the world did you ever find an 81 Fleer that's a 10? Those things are the worst-centered things ever made. I just opened a box over the weekend on a lark I picked up a while ago and I don't think there were 6 cards in there with good centering.

Seriously. Nice card. I love McCovey and I believe his cards are so underappreciated.

Agreed about McCovey. I was stoked to find the 10 to go with the raw example in my SFG binders. When I saw it pop up for auction I thought for sure I'd have more competition for it. Turns out I either just got lucky or I over valued it in my bid. Doesn't really matter to me either way as I'm ecstatic to add this one to the collection.