Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tonedeaf said:
    I need to get better images, but this is my latest purchase.

That is a seriously nice Cent! Congrats!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 8:50PM

@lkenefic said:

That is a seriously nice Cent! Congrats!

Thank you! I am very happy with it.

Shiny things distract me.

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 6:30PM

@AlanSki said:

Was in a PVC flip.

I have had the same thing happen. I avoid acetone on copper.
    Of course, I could be doing something incorrectly.

Shiny things distract me.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:
    Always love some early CAC gold.

VERY nice!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 7:43PM

@lkenefic said:
    First Type Set purchase of 2023... seller's pics...

I used to own one exactly like this except it was AU58FH, and I could not see the difference between it and an MS64. I'm sure there is a microscopic rub somewhere that determined it to be a 58, but I could not see one, and yours is exactly the same. Do you have any idea why?

Edit to add: I think yours should be FH as well. I don't see why it was not designated as such.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

A potential cherry is on the way, due to arrive in two days. Stay tuned.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

@lkenefic said:
    First Type Set purchase of 2023... seller's pics...

I used to own one exactly like this except it was AU58FH, and I could not see the difference between it and an MS64. I'm sure there is a microscopic rub somewhere that determined it to be a 58, but I could not see one, and yours is exactly the same. Do you have any idea why?

Edit to add: I think yours should be FH as well. I don't see why it was not designated as such.

Thanks! I was outbid on an earlier auction for an AU58FH that also looked low MS as well. After that one hammered at over the BIN price for this coin, I pulled the trigger. For whatever reason, I've seen these jump in price significantly in the last couple of years. Anyway, I bought this one because I'm seeing full rivets on the shield, nice detail on Liberty's face, and I'm also thinking I see an ear-hole that would give the FH designation. The seller's pics lose resolution when I tried to enlarge, so I guess I'll find out once I have coin in hand, As far as rub... I think I see some disruption in the skirt draped over Liberty's left thigh above the knee. It's minimal and the reverse looks exceptional. Additionally, it's in keeping with the overall look of my 7070... which is the destiny of this piece.... in between an AU53 Barber and an MS62 SLQ... the majority of this set is XF-AU.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@alefzero That is one gorgeous Trade dollar!

• Options

Sorry that the above pictures aren't that great. They're seller's photos (copies of NGC photos) and their lack of clarity and resolution is the source of the drama at the moment. You see, I'm about 90% certain this coin is an 1855/854 overdate that was overlooked by the graders. I purchased it off of eBay and waiting for it to be delivered to my mailbox now. I won't know for certain if it's the overdate until I see it in hand. I thought it would be fun to share the drama with y'all (or "yinz" if you're a "Yinzer").

This is like waiting for the results of a pregnancy test on the Jerry Springer Show.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2023 9:58AM

"Delivered in/at mailbox!"

I'll be back with the results after this commercial break...

• Options

@Barberian said:

It's been 15 minutes! How far away is your mailbox? How did it turn out? :)

• Options
    edited February 24, 2023 11:07AM

This NGC EF40 1855 is...

**NOT **

an 1855/854 overdate.

Fooled by a tiny piece of white microplastic (created reflection as if there was a prominence on the surface) and some tar-like toning. Like swinging at a loaded pitch.

Anyway, I'll have to examine it more to see how I was fooled by it. This is only the 2nd time I've missed properly recognizing this often-misidentified variety. Did you get that?

The goal here is to find the overdate misidentified in TPG holders, and particularly an early die state 55/54 straight graded and mislabeled as a "normal date" for maximum laughter and rewards. There's another NGC graded 1855 in VF30 that's actually an 1855/54 on eBay now, but the seller wants way too much for it and there's no guarantee the coin you see is the coin you'll receive. In other words, no reward.

Now, back to regular posts...

• Options

@dsessom said:

@Barberian said:

It's been 15 minutes! How far away is your mailbox? How did it turn out? :)

Sorry. I was in momentary disbelief and was writing and editing my response.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

Neat !

What did you put in the "1965-D" and "1966-D" holes ?

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    1799 B-5 /BB-157 Die State IV (Terminal) Bust Dollar - Not easy to find this one with that final radial break through the first T of STATES through the cloud to the star.

Very nice. I saw the seller with this coin up for sale, do these characteristics add any value to the coin?

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

I was watching this one for about a week.. glad someone pulled the trigger. Hopefully you score some nice gems!

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mavs2583 said:

@alefzero said:
    1799 B-5 /BB-157 Die State IV (Terminal) Bust Dollar - Not easy to find this one with that final radial break through the first T of STATES through the cloud to the star.

Very nice. I saw the seller with this coin up for sale, do these characteristics add any value to the coin?

To me, they do. I generally go for rarity and for more common die varieties, I try to locate the rarest die states. The coin is very nice in hand. I expected issues. It should not grade lower that VF25 Details and no problems significantly take away from the overall presentation IMO. I believe the market is going to wise up to true rarity and early dollars broadly (and Colonial currency too) should get more of a following as we approach 2026 (250 years since 1776). I know some of the flowing hair and bust dollars I acquired in years in the not too distant past would be much more expensive today.

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@mavs2583 said:

@alefzero said:

To me, they do. I generally go for rarity and for more common die varieties, I try to locate the rarest die states. The coin is very nice in hand. I expected issues. It should not grade lower that VF25 Details and no problems significantly take away from the overall presentation IMO. I believe the market is going to wise up to true rarity and early dollars broadly (and Colonial currency too) should get more of a following as we approach 2026 (250 years since 1776). I know some of the flowing hair and bust dollars I acquired in years in the not too distant past would be much more expensive today.

Thank you for the info, the bust dollar is #1 on my wish list, but the pricing has been hard to gauge lately, I thought yours was a good buy regardless of what it ultimately grades at.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    Just arrived:

Go to Rickey’s.

Why did PCGS say "No Date" on the label when the token clearly shows 1863? Another "mechanical error"? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file