Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pro and Con Opinions of buying a VaultBox

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@U1chicago said:
    The retail value is higher than the 255 but the market value of that box is closer to 155. So I am surprised that the vault box offer is $130 on the one coin that would normally see offers of 50-70 from most coin dealers.

NGC did the grading and the random selection from the three pools.

Minshull Trading sets the offer price. Might it initially be a little higher than actual wholesale and then drift lower as the hype for wave 1 subsides? Why that might be just smart marketing. Might they recycle what they buy back into wave 2? Somebody should start a cert# list.

I think that will be the way it goes: higher than market offers initially to show people they are strong buyers of the material and to potentially repackage it into future boxes (where they can still make money and save the need to grade more coins).

• Options
    edited January 27, 2023 8:52AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    To me, the interesting part is that they said “the 1st round we’re gonna be working of SLIM margins and the next 2 rounds will be more profit built in”

Seriously? These are “slim” margins? What can a wholesaler acquire graded silver eagles for, $30-$60 max depending on year? What does it cost them to cross to NGCX with a bulk deal, $15-20? I bet you could buy all 6 of those coins at retail on a $350 budget, instead this poor guy spent $1200. Then he manages to conceal his disappointment and turn his video into a sponsored ad for vaultbox by saying how cool and fun it is while his buddies are dying laughing because he got the worst possible outcome (or is it?)

I’m a little intrigued by the $130 offer but we’ll need to see how that plays out. I imagine they need to try to create a market for these NGCx/vaultbox slabs in order to keep this project selling. If my box has coins like that I’d probably take their offer immediately and not even try to sell them on eBay, does their offer have an expiration?

Regardless, there’s definitely more to come and we’ll have to compare the results of others. I guess I’m not the target demographic here. Speaking for myself only, I don’t see how opening a box and losing $300 is “fun”. Especially if one isn’t as fortunate as some of us to have disposable income like that.

I’m guessing the overall total is a relatively slim margin. They need to make up the losses on the big dollar coins with large margins on the cheaper coins.

And I recall from the interview that the vault box guy said the offers would change. They could go up or down. One example he gave was for gold coins. Since spot went up, he said the offer would be revised up as well.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@tincup said:
    The generous buy back offer is worth it for Valulbox.... to create the impression that it is a ready market, to help promote the next round. ALSO... the returned coin will be included in the next round..... saving ValutBox some money for less grading fees. The returns WILL be recycled!

I’m impressed by the offer I will admit that. That’s a $60 coin. They could likely produce another one of those for $80 including slab fees, but they’ll buy it back for $130 like you said to make the market, even if they take a loss on that buyback they still made $70 off of it and will likely make $70 again on the next round. They will make so much more money if everyone keeps all of these coins rather than selling back.

There are no $60 proof eagles. Dealer wholesale on OGP is $70. Greysheet on a 70 is $88 wholesale, $120 CPG. [$130 is still generous.]

Slim margin would apply to all of the boxes in aggregate, not a single box. Remember, there are higher value coins ou there. The $20k coin alone adds $25 to the cost of each box.

If you look at the data on the other thread. (copied from Arkie)

Adj Value ROI % Vector N Vector Avg $ Adj
    100% YES 34.0% 174,193,580 1314
    NO 66.0% 337,806,420 419
    90% YES 26.7% 136859940 1352
    NO 73.3% 375140060 395
    80% YES 21.3% 108981490 1365
    NO 78.7% 403018510 366
    70% YES 17.1% 87425560 1352
    NO 82.9% 424574440 332

If you take his 100% data, the average value of each box is $723. Even at the 70% value, the average value of the box is $506. That is a pretty slim margin since that doesn't take into account the slabbing, packaging or distribution costs.

If I were running the op, I think I would have gone with cheaper coins and create the ability to fill in the sets. Maybe do all Proof Silver Eagles for example. Or do all 1964 proof coins. Or something like that. It would be much more like cards that way without as large a discrepancy in value between the most expensive set and the cheapest set.

Then again, who cares how I would do it...

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Well, I do. Please sign me up for your newsletter. :)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@tincup said:
    The generous buy back offer is worth it for Valulbox.... to create the impression that it is a ready market, to help promote the next round. ALSO... the returned coin will be included in the next round..... saving ValutBox some money for less grading fees. The returns WILL be recycled!

I’m impressed by the offer I will admit that. That’s a $60 coin. They could likely produce another one of those for $80 including slab fees, but they’ll buy it back for $130 like you said to make the market, even if they take a loss on that buyback they still made $70 off of it and will likely make $70 again on the next round. They will make so much more money if everyone keeps all of these coins rather than selling back.

There are no $60 proof eagles. Dealer wholesale on OGP is $70. Greysheet on a 70 is $88 wholesale, $120 CPG. [$130 is still generous.]

Slim margin would apply to all of the boxes in aggregate, not a single box. Remember, there are higher value coins ou there. The $20k coin alone adds $25 to the cost of each box.

NO 66.0% 337,806,420 419
    NO 73.3% 375140060 395
    NO 78.7% 403018510 366
    NO 82.9% 424574440 332

If you take his 100% data, the average value of each box is $723. Even at the 70% value, the average value of the box is $506. That is a pretty slim margin since that doesn't take into account the slabbing, packaging or distribution costs.

If I were running the op, I think I would have gone with cheaper coins and create the ability to fill in the sets. Maybe do all Proof Silver Eagles for example. Or do all 1964 proof coins. Or something like that. It would be much more like cards that way without as large a discrepancy in value between the most expensive set and the cheapest set.

I can go on eBay and use “buy it now” for a proof 70 eagle for $89. If one is a bit more patient and waits for auctions, you can get a proof 70 for $75-$80.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping we could all agree to not use this thread to debate the merits of ValuBox. 🤞

There is already a thread for this issue. I created this thread to be more of a CRH type thread where ValuBox owners can share their experience and coins without having to worry about members taunting them for getting a bad box😎

• Options

As far as what the coins are worth, people post pictures here of coins they've recently bought that they've paid far more for than I would ever consider. Doesn't make the purchase right or wrong. If you don't like the Vaultbox concept, perhaps you're not the type of buyer the sellers had in mind? Not everybody will be- different people like different things.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    If you guys really want to gamble, crack all your slabs and send the coins to PCGS. That would be a fun unboxing video.

I have played that game.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@tincup said:

NO 66.0% 337,806,420 419
    NO 73.3% 375140060 395
    NO 78.7% 403018510 366
    NO 82.9% 424574440 332

The coin with the $130 offer was the most valuable coin in that box, wasn’t it? I watched the video again this morning and I thought It was a 2006-w proof dcam, here are the sold listings for that coin. You’re telling me a wholesale dealer pays more than this?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    edited January 27, 2023 9:09AM

@DeplorableDan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@tincup said:

NO 66.0% 337,806,420 419
    NO 73.3% 375140060 395
    NO 78.7% 403018510 366
    NO 82.9% 424574440 332

The coin with the $130 offer was the most valuable coin in that box, wasn’t it? I watched the video again this morning and I thought It was a 2006-w proof dcam, here are the sold listings for that coin. You’re telling me a wholesale dealer pays more than this?

Yes, if you are talking about the $60 number. Upstate has an open bid on OGP proof eagles of any year for $70, $63 if they are loose without boxes or COA. And that's actually DOWN from the $80 they were buying them for last year. 70s, of course, sell for more.

Edited to add: I would pay $80 for any Proof 70 (NGC or PCGS).

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 9:36AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    To me, the interesting part is that they said “the 1st round we’re gonna be working of SLIM margins and the next 2 rounds will be more profit built in”

Seriously? These are “slim” margins? What can a wholesaler acquire graded silver eagles for, $30-$60 max depending on year? What does it cost them to cross to NGCX with a bulk deal, $15-20? I bet you could buy all 6 of those coins at retail on a $350 budget, instead this poor guy spent $1200. Then he manages to conceal his disappointment and turn his video into a sponsored ad for vaultbox by saying how cool and fun it is while his buddies are dying laughing because he got the worst possible outcome (or is it?)

I’m a little intrigued by the $130 offer but we’ll need to see how that plays out. I imagine they need to try to create a market for these NGCx/vaultbox slabs in order to keep this project selling. If my box has coins like that I’d probably take their offer immediately and not even try to sell them on eBay, does their offer have an expiration?

Regardless, there’s definitely more to come and we’ll have to compare the results of others. I guess I’m not the target demographic here. Speaking for myself only, I don’t see how opening a box and losing $300 is “fun”. Especially if one isn’t as fortunate as some of us to have disposable income like that.

Agreed on all of your points. It's probably too late to try to move it at $1,000 on eBay, but it might be worth a try.

Beyond that, there will always be an Instant Offer. It will move at their whim, so there is no guarantee you will be able to sell common coins above wholesale, but there will always be an offer. The "expiration," if you want to call it that, is there and then. Either you take it or you don't. If you don't, it could be higher or lower the next time you scan your code.

Just wait until you get coins in your hands before getting all excited about way above market buy back offers. That guy might have read the screen wrong, or anything else. Until you have an offer to buy a $60 coin for $130, I wouldn't bet my life on it being there.

Also, bulk submitters don't pay anywhere near $15-20 to grade moderns. This is a special case, due to the packaging, sealing, etc., so who knows what they paid? Could be a lot, due to all of the extra work NGC did. Could be very little, since this is huge for legitimizing NGCX with its target market.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    I was hoping we could all agree to not use this thread to debate the merits of ValuBox. 🤞

There is already a thread for this issue. I created this thread to be more of a CRH type thread where ValuBox owners can share their experience and coins without having to worry about members taunting them for getting a bad box😎

@MasonG said:
    As far as what the coins are worth, people post pictures here of coins they've recently bought that they've paid far more for than I would ever consider. Doesn't make the purchase right or wrong. If you don't like the Vaultbox concept, perhaps you're not the type of buyer the sellers had in mind? Not everybody will be- different people like different things.

For the record, I’m not attempting to debate anyone, I was just sharing my initial thoughts after the first unboxing, as I thought we had all figured that there would be pre release and post release discussions. I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from participating, but I’m a paying customer expressing my own opinion from my own point of view. @WQuarterFreddie ill respect your wishes and I’ll leave this thread alone

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

Dan, you aren't the one I was addressing....🤣😂

They are still going to debate but at least I tried. 🙄

• Options

Isn’t that the same 2006 1 Oz proof Eagle that PWCC had in their “promo” box video?

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Dan, you aren't the one I was addressing....🤣😂

They are still going to debate but at least I tried. 🙄

Dont worry, I moved it back over to the original thread, R.I.P to @DCW 's inbox, my apologies! :D

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering why the word Proof is not on the grading labels of any of the ASEs?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    The generous buy back offer is worth it for Valulbox.... to create the impression that it is a ready market, to help promote the next round. ALSO... the returned coin will be included in the next round..... saving VaultBox some money for less grading fees. The returns WILL be recycled!

I was just about to bring this up. Of course they can offer slightly stronger money on their instant offers; the pieces returned are obviously going to be the low value silvers...no one's going to return the gold... and it makes them look good for offering "strong money"...The returned items will simply be thrown into the mix for the next round of $600 boxes after a reholder with a Series 2 label.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I'm wondering why the word Proof is not on the grading labels of any of the ASEs?

On the one for sale on ebay linked above, it does say "Proof" in tiny letters above the giant "10" grade, and "Ultra Cameo" in tiny letters below the grade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, now I see it. Thanks

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

Absolutely the most hilarious contribution to this odyssey. Many LOL's. But, if you had thrown in a few parking lot finds, would of added a nice touch.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first review on YouTube, that I seen anyway.

https://youtu.be/NvXxGaxoAjg
    At least no bickering or complaining.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Good luck to that delusional person. That's a $2500 coin that they are trying to sell for a $1500 premium due to the label.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2023 12:31PM

@U1chicago said:

Isn’t that the same 2006 1 Oz proof Eagle that PWCC had in their “promo” box video?

Yes it is. I wonder if the seller is in any way connected to PWCC. If so, oh boy!!!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one will "sell" tonight at $1,000+.

ebay.com

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to another unboxing video. Maybe the guy who uploaded to youtube last night will post one of the 2 boxes that his son purchased.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating! Perhaps the plastic is more “rare” then the coins😆

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

ebay.com

I like how you put "sell" in quotes. I have been thinking the same thing.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 1:55PM

@kranky said:

@VanHalen said:

ebay.com

I like how you put "sell" in quotes. I have been thinking the same thing.

I'd bet that there will be one or two more sales on ebay before they fall off. I noticed this with the silver 8 coin proof sets this year... A handful would sell at a premium then all of a sudden no sales. Not surprising tho considering they were still for sale at the mint so not exactly the same, but I suspect the same fate.

People will be stuck with boxes no one will buy especially if all the good coins have been revealed. Or worse, posted for sale on eBay 😅

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

Good luck to that delusional person. That's a $2500 coin that they are trying to sell for a $1500 premium due to the label.

A few have sold between $3500 and $4k on ebay... But I added to watch list. If he sends an offer I'll be sure to counter a 'reasonable' offer. Reasonable being near the average of $2400-2500. 😅 Wish me luck lol.

• Options

@SlipKid there we go! You definitely lucked out by getting a gold coin, especially a 1/4 oz. Congrats.

Look at this listing on PWCC There’s a box for sale for 3k lol

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@SlipKid said:
    Well, here are mine. Instant offer for all 3 is $743, so I guess I lucked out. Was happy to see some gold. No 10's though

Congratulations! You got gold! Nice family heirloom if you decide to keep it😉

• Options

@telephoto1 said:

@SlipKid said:
    Well, here are mine. Instant offer for all 3 is $743, so I guess I lucked out. Was happy to see some gold. No 10's though

Awesome. Congratulations. Really nice.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking retail on the three pieces w/current eBay BINs: 2016 MS69 = $54.95. 1986 S PF69 UC = $109.99. 1986 AGE 1/4 oz MS69 = $699.99. Total retail = $864.93. The instant offer of $743 is about 86% of these retail prices. The comparison makes no allowance for whatever value the Vault Box Series 1 labels may add.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a marketing scam, plain and simple.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2023 6:28PM

@ms71 said:
    Checking retail on the three pieces w/current eBay BINs: 2016 MS69 = $54.95. 1986 S PF69 UC = $109.99. 1986 AGE 1/4 oz MS69 = $699.99. Total retail = $864.93. The instant offer of $743 is about 86% of these retail prices. The comparison makes no allowance for whatever value the Vault Box Series 1 labels may add.

And if we compare average sales, it is about $40 + $90 + $625 = $755 ....take out the eBay fee of 12.9% and you net $657.60 (without accounting for shipping). So the instant offer is the better choice for a quick and easy sale.

• Options

@ms71 said:

You also need to consider ebay fees and shipping. With a store, that's about 10%.

• Options

By the way, can someone here that has an account check what the instant offer is on the 2006 PF 10 Gold Eagle that is now listed on eBay for 4k?

• Options

Thanks @DeplorableDan
    That one is a bit under eBay sales (I see a few between $2,378 and $2,560) but still more than you would net when accounting for the eBay fees.

• Options

@dsessom said:

@U1chicago said:
    And if we compare average sales, it is about $40 + $90 + $625 = $755 ....take out the eBay fee of 12.9% and you net $657.60 (without accounting for shipping). So the instant offer is the better choice for a quick and easy sale.

Can't be both, can it?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@U1chicago said:

Can't be both, can it?

In the same way a lottery is, sure! I am just not a gambler I guess.

• Options

@dsessom said:

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@U1chicago said:

Can't be both, can it?

Lotteries are a scam?

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Thanks @DeplorableDan
    That one is a bit under eBay sales (I see a few between $2,378 and $2,560) but still more than you would net when accounting for the eBay fees.

2350 is solid. Greysheet is around 2500

• Options

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@U1chicago said:

Can't be both, can it?

Lotteries are a scam?

Here we go again...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@MasonG said:

@dsessom said:

@U1chicago said:

Can't be both, can it?

Lotteries are a scam?

Here we go again...

You mean- "I don't like it, so it's a scam?" Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

• Options

@MasonG said:

You mean- "I don't like it, so it's a scam?" Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Hey man, some people love throwing away money at Casinos, some like lottery tickets, and plenty like games of chance of various kinds. Maybe "scam" isn't the correct term, but it is most definitely a marketing gimmick in which most people will lose money in terms of the value of the box contents. Call it what you will.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

We’re having fun on the other Vault Box thread where gut and emotion reign. This thread has empirical stuff in it.

This discussion has been closed.