Home Sports Talk
Options

The road to the Super Bowl - NFL playoffs thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the beginning of a new season, the tournament is set, here is the bracket.

Comments

• Options

That loss to Washington yesterday was frightening, the Cowboys scare me, we can't have that against Tampa Bay.

• Options

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Cinn 31-Minn 28

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 5:19AM

Super Bowl

SF 20
    KC 17

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippcity said:
    Cinn 31-Minn 28

Huh?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 7:19AM

Playoffs notwithstanding, right now everybody is tied for first place for at least eight months. I see the Texans have fired Lovie Smith and the Browns have fired(thank you) DC Joe Woods. That means there's hope!! I assume there will be about 5-6 Head Coaching vacancies but who will fill them??

• Options

Jerry wants us to turn yesterday's nightmare into a positive, I certainly hope so because we can't have that again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/jerry-jones-wants-cowboys-to-turn-sunday-nightmare-into-a-positive/amp/

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Jerry wants us to turn yesterday's nightmare into a positive, I certainly hope so because we can't have that again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/jerry-jones-wants-cowboys-to-turn-sunday-nightmare-into-a-positive/amp/

Well, I just heard the "fake Jerry Jones" (is that you DD?) on the radio just now. He sounded despondent, and said that his team stunk worse than the team bathroom when Mike McCarthy tries Mrs Jones' New Years tamales.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Well, I just heard the "fake Jerry Jones" (is that you DD?) on the radio just now. He sounded despondent, and said that his team stunk worse than the team bathroom when Mike McCarthy tries Mrs Jones' New Years tamales.

It's going to be a long week, this Cowboys thing has spiraled out of control, and on top of that, Stephen A. Smith is already shooting his mouth off!

https://mobile.twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1612265892754096128/mediaviewer

• Options

In reference to yesterday's loss to the Commanders in the last week of the regular season, Jerry Jones said "we get to suck on that all week".

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    In reference to yesterday's loss to the Commanders in the last week of the regular season, Jerry Jones said "we get to suck on that all week".

As well they should, no excuse for playing that poorly. I'm getting sick and tired of having to face the media every time we play like crap, this has got to stop, what am I paying these guys for, to go to Washington and put up 6 lousy points!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 10:58AM

I’m thinking the Chiefs first opponent will be the Chargers.
    And if the Chiefs win it’s a toss up between bills-bengals as next opponent

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jax over Chargers
    Baltimore over Cincy
    Buffalo over Fish
    Tampa over Dallas
    Giants over Minny
    SF over Seattle

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Seahawks do not belong anywhere near the playoffs. The Ram/Seahawks game yesterday was the biggest farce of a game that I have ever watched. Disgusting. Unless a team scores a blowout victory in the playoffs anything close will be decided by the refs and whoever they're taking their orders from. And don't bother responding that I'm upset because the Lambs lost. I could care less about that part. I will say this though; I have 10 Rams season tickets for seven years now. After watching that game yesterday I'm just thinking why bother anymore. The fix is in, baby. Might as well be watching roller derby...What a joke.
    The Lions are the team that got Robbed yesterday.....not the Rams.
    Jared Goff is very, very good....Like it or not.

The Lions will be contenders for a long time.
    The Lambs can go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 11:45AM

@Hydrant said:

…............

@Hydrant also said:

Edited because I forgot the y in mighty 😂

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    The Seahawks do not belong anywhere near the playoffs. The Ram/Seahawks game yesterday was the biggest farce of a game that I have ever watched. Disgusting. Unless a team scores a blowout victory in the playoffs anything close will be decided by the refs and whoever they're taking their orders from. And don't bother responding that I'm upset because the Lambs lost. I could care less about that part. I will say this though; I have 10 Rams season tickets for seven years now. After watching that game yesterday I'm just thinking why bother anymore. The fix is in, baby. Might as well be watching roller derby...What a joke.
    The Lions are the team that got Robbed yesterday.....not the Rams.
    Jared Goff is very, very good....Like it or not.

The Seahawks will probably be one and done, I don't see them beating the Niners, so perhaps you'll have vengeance this weekend. Don't give up on the Rams, I'm still a Panthers fan and look at the embarrassment I've had to endure over the years.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see a Buffalo vs Tampa Bay Super Bowl. Does Tom Brady still retain ownership over the Bills organization or does Buffalo finally take their team back? 😉😎😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I want to see a Buffalo vs Tampa Bay Super Bowl. Does Tom Brady still retain ownership over the Bills organization or does Buffalo finally take their team back? 😉😎😉

I'd love to see the GOAT back in the SB. Unfortunately, as of now, I'd say either way this is the Bills' year.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

Niners 31 Seahawks 6

but remember when the season started I believe Espn had seattle 32 nd ranked out of 32 teams

• Options

Kings bury is out in Arizona. GM steps down and this after both were extended before the season. Along with the $250M for Minnie Mouse this organization has farted away money like it grows on trees for 4 wins.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2023 4:42PM

@2dueces said:
    Kings bury is out in Arizona.....

Kingsbury was not forced out.....He wanted out. ...My Secret Inside Source told me weeks ago it was a done deal at that time. It's all about Kyler Murray. Kingsbury thinks that Murray is no good (I agree) and that management is forcing Murray down his throat (quote) and making him look bad as the head coach. Kingsbury wants no part of Kyler Murray. No surprise here.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

Kingsbury was not forced out.....He wanted out. ...My Secret Inside Source told me weeks ago it was a done deal at that time. It's all about Kyler Murray. Kingsbury thinks that Murray is no good (I agree) and that management is forcing Murray down his throat and making him look bad as the head coach. Kingsbury wanted no part of Kyler Murray. No surprise here.

time for a new source

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Hydrant said:

Kingsbury was not forced out.....He wanted out. ...My Secret Inside Source told me weeks ago it was a done deal at that time. It's all about Kyler Murray. Kingsbury thinks that Murray is no good (I agree) and that management is forcing Murray down his throat and making him look bad as the head coach. Kingsbury wanted no part of Kyler Murray. No surprise here.

time for a new source

@hydrant Your comment suggests that you are at best easily misguided or at worst a limited hangout. However, I believe neither of these to be true. Something else must be afoot. So spill it...

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 5:19PM

I'm just telling you what was told to me weeks ago over cold ones at the SoFi patio bar..

.....Kingsbury Wanted Out.....Done deal at the time...Of course the press release, about it by management now is skewed in their favor...
    Only believe half of what you see...
    And nothing that you read.....

That's the REAL World, boys and girls...

P.S. I'm pretty sure that I posted about this at the time, weeks ago. Look it up somebody.... You'll find it.....Old News...

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 5:52PM

@thisistheshow said:

@hydrant Your comment suggests that you are at best easily misguided or at worst a limited hangout. However, I believe neither of these to be true. Something else must be afoot. So spill it...

Just this and nothing more.....If the Lambs don't turn things around next year, McVay will most likely be hitting the road. The announcers booth??...The Goff for Stafford trade was all over personal issues between McVay and Goff....They don't like each other. McVay got his way and a SB win...short term stuff...but folks aren't so happy about it now because the thinking is that the Rams could have just as easily won the SB with Goff. Did you see last nights Lion/Packers game????.
    The halo over "Boy Wonder Coach" has vanished....Pete Carroll and Kyle Shanahan have got McVay's number.... Period end of conversation...For now.....There's more.....

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I'm just telling you what was told to me weeks ago over cold ones at the SoFi patio bar..

.....Kingsbury Wanted Out.....Done deal at the time...Of course the press release, about it by management now is skewed in their favor...
    Only believe half of what you see...
    And nothing that you read.....

That's the REAL World, boys and girls...

P.S. I'm pretty sure that I posted about this at the time, weeks ago. Look it up somebody.... You'll find it.....Old News...

When you were being told this, did you question it...or just believe it. Because at face value it makes no sense.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 6:23PM

@thisistheshow said:

When you were being told this, did you question it...or just believe it. Because at face value it makes no sense.

You might be on to something Showboat. I should have had Secret Inside Source sign a sworn affidavit about what he told me but I didn't have one on me. I'll go better prepared next time.😵

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

You might be on to something Showboat. I should have had Secret Inside Source sign a sworn affidavit about what he told me but I didn't have one on me. I'll come better prepared next time.😵

....Are you using humor as deflection again? Either way, what I meant was...when your source told you something that doesn't make sense, did you question it? Or is the relationship such that they speak and you listen? The information they gave you flies in the face of what would seem correct... Did their words surprise you?

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 7:47AM

@thisistheshow said:

....Are you using humor as deflection again? ..... Or is the relationship such that they speak and you listen? ... Did their words surprise you?

Of course I'm using humor as a deflection.... It's all I have left in my old age to protect me!......
    And as far as my relationship with Secret Inside Source?...He's my child! Of course I listen to him!...Ever since he said...MaMa...DaDa!....
    Do his words surprise me?....Hell Yes!
    Ever since he told me that I was going to be a Grandfather!
    Now THAT was a surprise!

The first surprise turns 15 tomorrow!... I love her!
    She's the one on the left in the red shirt! That's Joey on her back. Joey is a firearms expert! Bolt action rifles are his current fascination.

Oh, And the kid in the middle? The one with the baseball mitt? That's Secret Inside Source's little boy.....If he's anything like his Daddy he's heading for the BIGS!.....Just a matter of time...
    PLAY BALL!

BTW...Interesting side note; From 1967-2011 there were 1,514 roster spots in the NFL that were filled by kickers. Punters and place kickers. JUST KICKERS!!!.....

Would You Like To Swing On a Star
    And Carry Moon Beams Home In a Jar
    And Be Better Off Than You Are
    Or.......
    Would You Rather Be a Mule

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I’m confused. Didn’t Kingbury draft Rosen, admitting it was a bust and then turn around and draft Minnie Mouse the next year as the future. Didn’t Kingbury design an offense around Kyler, trade for all those high profile and expensive players.
    Kingbury had his chance to get out during the Murray contract negotiations if he knew it was a mistake.
    Not sure who’s to blame with the collapse of the Cardinals. Murray is exciting but he’s a far lesser talented Lamar Jackson and Jackson isn’t a very talented QB IMO.
    Ownership wants full seats and Murray will give them that, for awhile but Championships. Err no.

I was asked why anyone would take a less than optimal head coaching job. IE Houston or Denver. My answer. There’s only 32 in the world.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

All I can say is, it's going to be painful if the Cowboys lose to the Bucs, more painful than getting hit in the face by a Franklin Delano Romanowski iceball.

• Options

• Options

That is an underrated episode of Seinfeld from the last season called 'The Betrayal' aka the backwards episode.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 8:49AM

@2dueces said:
    I’m confused. Didn’t Kingbury draft Rosen, admitting it was a bust and then turn around and draft Minnie Mouse the next year as the future. Didn’t Kingbury design an offense around Kyler, trade for all those high profile and expensive players.
    Kingbury had his chance to get out during the Murray contract negotiations if he knew it was a mistake.
    Not sure who’s to blame with the collapse of the Cardinals. Murray is exciting but he’s a far lesser talented Lamar Jackson and Jackson isn’t a very talented QB IMO.
    Ownership wants full seats and Murray will give them that, for awhile but Championships. Err no.

I was asked why anyone would take a less than optimal head coaching job. IE Houston or Denver. My answer. There’s only 32 in the world.

Murray is the quarterback of a team that had arguably the worst head coach, had arguably the worst general manager, and has arguably the worst owner in the entire league. i don't care if your name is Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady -- no quarterback is flourishing in a situation like that. four years of Kliff Kingsbury stunted his growth. anyone who follows the team (i do) and knows anything about football (i'd like to think i do) will tell you this. i could easily find 100 tweets from ardent AZ fans saying don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Kingsbury had no business being an HC in the NFL. none. but again, he was hired by an incompetent GM who was hired by an incompetent owner. as if that wasn't bad enough, prior to the season Michael Bidwill then dished out 5-year extensions to two men who had accomplished absolutely nothing. if that doesn't speak to the level of organizational dysfunction we're talking about here, nothing will.

it's a good thing the Kansas City Chiefs didn't take a lazy, face-value approach with Patrick Mahomes when he came out of Texas Tech.

hire Sean Payton, give it a couple of years and we'll see where the problem areas were

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 9:01AM

There are already rumors of the Pats and other teams sniffing around about hiring Coach Bro. He fits their MO. He's a failed HC, getting paid by another team, and could be hired for almost free to be a pseudo-OC with a title like Assistant Offensive Facilitator.

Edited to add...Coach Bro is Kingsbury

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    That loss to Washington yesterday was frightening, the Cowboys scare me, we can't have that against Tampa Bay.

The Cowboys are an enigma. One week the beat Philadelphia, although the Eagles were missing their starting quarterback. Then they lose badly to Washington in a game that might have given them the top seed. They should have been motivated.

I think that the Cowboys will get the by the lack luster Tampa team, but after that they might well be finished.

In the mean time my Eagles lost to New Orleans, and then they looked weak against the New York Giants in a game they needed to win to clinch the top seed. Have they peeked too soon? Maybe.

It doesn’t matter what you did all season, if your team loses its mojo at play-off time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2023 9:41AM

@doubledragon said:

• Options

It's good to see Christian McCaffrey being put to good use in San Francisco, he killed the Seahawks on that last drive.

• Options

The Seahawks leading over the 49ers 17-16 at the half, didn't see this one coming.

• Options

that vaunted SF defense sucked

another half like that and they're gone

• Options

The Niners are coming back to life, bang bang Niner gang!

• Options

It's 38-17 Niners lead, this one's over.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2023 5:41PM

2nd half Niners looked like SB champs

damn Purdy is impressive

• Options

Brock Purdy, very impressive, 332 yds passing, 3 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, Christian McCaffrey got off, Deebo Samuel got off, the defense started off poorly but picked it up in the second half. The 49ers are looking like a Super Bowl team indeed.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Brock Purdy, very impressive, 332 yds passing, 3 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, Christian McCaffrey got off, Deebo Samuel got off, the defense started off poorly but picked it up in the second half. The 49ers are looking like a Super Bowl team indeed.

I noted Purdy's performance with stats 37 minutes b4 you on your Purdy thread and yet you did not acknowledge, instead you point it out here as if you were first. Seriously? This is what makes these sports boards a problem............ Hm...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@doubledragon said:

I noted Purdy's performance with stats 37 minutes b4 you on your Purdy thread and yet you did not acknowledge, instead you point it out here as if you were first. Seriously? This is what makes these sports boards a problem............ Hm...............

I don't check every thread for posts, heck, half the threads I start on this forum I completely abandon after a few posts. Don't take it so personal.

• Options

Yes, I said on another thread that the Jags were a lock to upset the Chargers. This is the last time I get my locks from @brick.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Yes, I said on another thread that the Jags were a lock to upset the Chargers. This is the last time I get my locks from @brick.

Good call brick!