Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@jmdvm7 said:
    By the way, we know the rookies for Ellard, Lewis and Evans. What would be the best choices for London Fletcher and James Harrison?

2000 Topps for Fletcher.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

Not that I am unbiased or anything, but why does Patrick Willis get so little love for the HOF?

Matt

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I think it’s the same reason that Serling Sharpe didn’t get more attention. I think it’s because of his early retirement. It may not be the best comparison but it’s the first that came to mind. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe Willis deserves and will eventually get in. Can’t say the same for many that are in the same boat.

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

I like Ware, Revis and Joe Thomas. Agree on Zach Thomas being deserving as well. Does Holt get in before Reggie Wayne? I’m intrigued by Hester, his greatest impact was on special teams but he was arguably the best to ever do it at the time. Is that enough to get him in?

• Options

Since the Hall of fame is a museum of the greatest to ever play. I’d love to see more special-teamers make it in. Guys like Steve Tasker, Devin Hester, Shane Lechler, and Adam Vinatieri should absolutely be in the Hall. There are plenty more in the history of the NFL that have had an impact like them that haven’t even sniffed the Hall of Fame. Not sure how you compare their impact on a game to a guard, center, tackle or an interior defensive lineman. I can say that I have watched games come down to a kicker making or missing a game winning kick or a punter flipping field positions. I have seen Devin Hester’s affect on a game where a team is afraid to kick a ball in his direction and shanked it 15 yards out of bounds. In my opinion the top percent on special teams isn’t valued enough. Rant over!

• Options

@shawther
    I am not opposed to him getting in. I just don't hear much about him anymore. It would be really good if he made it on the modern, because he would be down on the list in senior. Thankfully one of the seniors was on the list this year.

• Options

Thanks for the Harrison and Fletcher info.
    Hester played WR and DB as I recall. Corderelle Patterson is putting up impressive return numbers, surpassing Hester.
    In regards to shortened careers, I think there will be more of it. If players make enough money, why risk long term injury to lengthen a career? Willis, Keuchly, Calvin Johnson prime examples

• Options

@shawther
    I hope you are right because if he gets to the senior list he will be behind several.

• Options

@shawther i agree completely. Dante Hall was another that made teams kick away from him. My question was more around the HOF overlooking the special teamers. While Hester did play both ways he wasn’t particularly special from what I remember so his accolades are really just as a ST player IMO. Vinatieri should get in and I think Justin Tucker probably gets in at some point too. Tasker, Lwvhkwe and Landeta were all talked about for a while and kind of dropped off the radar. I think Kuechly and Willis probably both make it eventually too.

I’m still leaning more towards Wayne going in before Holt. Both had HOF qb’s, both won SB, multiple pro bowls, smaller market teams but Wayne has 1000 catches doesn’t he? I should probably double check that. 😁

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

While I absolutely think Revis is deserving of a first-ballot nod, something tells me the voters will make him wait a year. Maybe because the end of his career was very lackluster. That said, I'll go with 4 finalists from last year plus a first-ballot player:

Z. Thomas
    J. Thomas
    Holt
    Hester
    Ware

Aside from Revis, I think Willie Anderson, Reggie Wayne, Jared Allen or Ronde Barber could grab one of the spots. I really don't think anyone else has much of a chance of making it this time around.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

A Slew of Joe Thomas rookies just hit Ebay if anyone is on the lookout (auctions, not BINS)...I have several already...would guess he is a cinch 1st ballot guy in 2023.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

PATRICL WILLIS!!! :D:D:D

Matt

• Options

Narrowed to 15 players

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2023/15-modern-era-player-finalists-pro-football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2023/

The slate of candidates in the Modern-Era Player category will be considered when the Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee meets virtually prior to Super Bowl LVII. The Class of 2023 will be unveiled publicly Feb. 9 during the “NFL Honors presented by Invisalign” broadcast from Phoenix on NFL Network, NBC and Peacock. The players, along with their positions, years and teams are:
    Jared Allen, Defensive End – 2004-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2008-2013 Minnesota Vikings, 2014-15 Chicago Bears, 2015 Carolina Panthers
    Willie Anderson, Offensive Tackle – 1996-2007 Cincinnati Bengals, 2008 Baltimore Raven
    Ronde Barber, Cornerback/Safety – 1997-2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Dwight Freeney, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker – 2002-2012 Indianapolis Colts, 2013-14 San Diego Chargers, 2015 Arizona Cardinals, 2016 Atlanta Falcons, 2017 Seattle Seahawks, 2017 Detroit Lions
    Devin Hester, Punt Returner/Kick Returner/Wide Receiver – 2006-2013 Chicago Bears, 2014-15 Atlanta Falcons, 2016 Baltimore Ravens
    Torry Holt, Wide Receiver – 1999-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Jacksonville Jaguars
    Andre Johnson, Wide Receiver – 2003-2014 Houston Texans, 2015 Indianapolis Colts, 2016 Tennessee Titans
    Albert Lewis, Cornerback – 1983-1993 Kansas City Chiefs, 1994-98 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders
    Darrelle Revis, Cornerback – 2007-2012 New York Jets, 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2014 New England Patriots, 2015-16 New York Jets, 2017 Kansas City Chiefs
    Joe Thomas, Offensive Tackle – 2007-2017 Cleveland Browns
    Zach Thomas, Linebacker – 1996-2007 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Dallas Cowboys
    DeMarcus Ware, Linebacker/Defensive End – 2005-2013 Dallas Cowboys, 2014-16 Denver Broncos
    Reggie Wayne, Wide Receiver – 2001-2014 Indianapolis Colts
    Patrick Willis, Linebacker – 2007-2014 San Francisco 49ers
    Darren Woodson, Safety – 1992-2003 Dallas Cowboys

• Options

I like seeing all of the defensive players on the list. I hope Hester gets in eventually. Surely they couldn’t keep Tasker out then.

• Options

Alright who has the insider news? Any leaks? WHo is it gonna be?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2023 3:39PM

It was leaked that Hester is NOT in.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I read that Barber got in, but I only saw it from one source, so it's very unconfirmed at this moment.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

barber
    thomas j
    thomas z
    ware
    revis

coryell
    klecko
    riley
    howley

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Surprised there are no WR but I am happy with the results.

• Options

@shawther said:
    Surprised there are no WR but I am happy with the results.

Yeah, I thought we'd see Holt get in. Now the backlog of WRs remains, with Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson also waiting. I think at least 2 of them will get in in the next 2 years as there are no first-ballot WRs up for election in 2024 and 2025.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I forget - how long until the new inductees get added to set lists?

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:
    I forget - how long until the new inductees get added to set lists?

My guess would be 2-4 weeks. It used to happen much sooner.

• Options

My wayyyyyyyyy too early picks for next year's class:

Peppers, Gates, Hester, Holt, J. Allen.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

I'm still holding out hope Patrick Willis gets in.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Since I'm new to cards, what does this typically do for value once someone is elected. Specifically, I have Klecko RC. Thanks.

• Options

@lusterlover said:
    Since I'm new to cards, what does this typically do for value once someone is elected. Specifically, I have Klecko RC. Thanks.

Value becomes higher.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

I'm still holding out hope Patrick Willis gets in.

He's definitely deserving. I'd have no problem with him sliding into Jared Allen's spot and him waiting an additional year. The only knock against Willis is the short career.

• Options

A good list. I would have put Freeney ahead of J Allen and Peppers, but looking at 1st team all pros, I'd say Peppers is a 1st ballot.

• Options

To me Peppers and Gates are the biggest locks next year.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

What injustices does the Hall correct with the coming year’s senior nominees? I’d like to see Shofner, Gradishar and not sure for the last spot. I’d like to see the candidacy of Tyrer debated again.

• Options

@shawther said:
    What injustices does the Hall correct with the coming year’s senior nominees? I’d like to see Shofner, Gradishar and not sure for the last spot. I’d like to see the candidacy of Tyrer debated again.

I like all of those but full transparency, mostly because I just sent them in on the $15 special 😁

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harvey Martin belongs in the HOF.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

Now that Chuck Howley is in, Ken Anderson is at the top my list for Seniors. It may be a stretch for a Bengal to go in 2 years in a row, but I hope it happens. I think we'll see one of Nobis or Gradishar. Shofner is absolutely deserving. It'd be nice if Wistert finally got his due, but I think that ship (sadly) may have sailed.

• Options

I agree on Whitey. Not sure on Harvey. Good player though.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    I agree on Whitey. Not sure on Harvey. Good player though.

I only found out last year, so don't feel bad if you didn't know, but Whitey Wistert did not play in the NFL (heckuva college player though). His brother, Al, the player featured on the 1948 Leaf card, did. Leaf apparently thought Al's nickname was Whitey when that was in fact his brother.

• Options

@shagrotn77 thats crazy - I had no idea!

• Options

I'll rearrange that info in my brain. LOL
    So, brother Al is the HOF snub.
    Interesting read about the 3 brothers on Wikipedia.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@shawther said:

Roger Craig
    Lester Hayes
    LC Greenwood

• Options

New enshrinees are now added to the HoF sets on PSA!

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@lusterlover said:

Value becomes higher.

Value sky rockets and then normally comes down. This is especially true for cards from the junk era like 2007 Topps Chrome cards for Reevis or 2005 topps chrome card for ware.

• Options

@DMasci said:

@DBesse27 said:

@lusterlover said:

Value becomes higher.

Value sky rockets and then normally comes down. This is especially true for cards from the junk era like 2007 Topps Chrome cards for Reevis or 2005 topps chrome card for ware.

Doesn’t “junk era” refer to the massively overproduced sets of the 1980s and 90s?

Yaz Master Set

• Options

IMO Topps chrome is not junk era.
    Agree with Dan

Now can somebody get me a junk era Rhonde Barber PSA 9 RC cheap !!!!!!!!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Just sold the two extra Rhonde 9's I had for cheap - @$280.

• Options

Ya know at one time I had your email Bill.
    I hate missing the cards of the newest hofers. I didn't think Barber would go in this year. If at all.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Buddy Parker headed in for coaches/ contributor! A week away from finding out the other 3 finalist.

• Options

From everything I've read, Randy Gradishar would seem to be a lock for one of the 3 spots.

• Options

I thought Gradishar was a lock the last 4 years. Gradishar is still at the top of my list. After him, it gets a little muddled. Many deserving candidates, easier for me to pick a few that should have to wait a little longer so others can get in. Just for kicks, I’ll go with Gradishar, Wistert, Taylor

• Options

RIP Maxie Baughan
    Too bad he won’t be alive to get his jacket. Being 39 I never got to see him play but through research, he definitely had the credentials to be in the HOF.

• Options

Sounds like Steve McMichael has made it.