Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 6:49PM

I couldn't find an image - Inside Texas joke as most of the small town general stores would have BREAD * MILK * BEER posted on the top front of them.

Edit: Apparently those are the 3 main staples here in the Lone Star State.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2022 12:18AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    found my first war in the pacific W. yay

one of the last coins in this present batch, i asked someone going to a different side of town to pick up so i can get a broader sample of different banks and they can be really sticky for those that don't have accounts.

i'll try to test a different bank or two tomorrow.

Congratulations!
    I have 134 W's in my collection that I found while CRHunting. The "War in the Pacific" are the ones I have the least of!
    Out of the 134. I'm guessing I have only
    Good catch!
    Keep hunting.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

ddr 2022p Maya Angelou?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

# 135 W

2020W Tallgrass Prairie V75

My favorite W Quarter!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    ddr 2022p Maya Angelou?

I think there is more than one variety of these DDR's. I have found 2 of the VDDR-001 varieties so far. Yours appears to be different than the one shown on variety vista. Maybe you can send it for attribution. VDDR-002? I don't know.
    Either way, a great find! Congrats!

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 6:54AM

@rec78 said:

@joeykoins said:
    ddr 2022p Maya Angelou?

I think there is more than one variety of these DDR's. I have found 2 of the VDDR-001 varieties so far. Yours appears to be different than the one shown on variety vista. Maybe you can send it for attribution. VDDR-002? I don't know.
    Either way, a great find! Congrats!

I'm thinking nope... maybe that's a very slight ddr but a different unknown one or a touch of ejection doubling?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 7:07AM

Are a coin in this state and mediocre photography of interest here? I am more sorter than grader at this moment. I ain’t pestering for a grade or value.

I started buying cents from a grandma who works at the thrift shop. They are part of her grandsons’ education savings plan. I gave her a marked tube and some small ziplocks. The first bags were ninety-five percent copper with a lot of AUs. I felt guilty and now give here a dollar a roll. When she started getting low and shields started popping up I suggested that she ask her peers in her community. The copper and nice early zinks flowed for a while, but the shields are showing up again. I have examined around twenty rolls out of the that small crossroad’s hoard. I probably should stop because of the new stuff appearing.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins,

Joey I caught some of your luck Bud! On my 25th roll, a 2019 Memorial W (Fairly Nice!) and 1964D Silver quarter
    "In The Same Roll!!!"

• Options

@Fraz said:
    Are a coin in this state and mediocre photography of interest here? I am more sorter than grader at this moment. I ain’t pestering for a grade or value.

I started buying cents from a grandma who works at the thrift shop. They are part of her grandsons’ education savings plan. I gave her a marked tube and some small ziplocks. The first bags were ninety-five percent copper with a lot of AUs. I felt guilty and now give here a dollar a roll. When she started getting low and shields started popping up I suggested that she ask her peers in her community. The copper and nice early zinks flowed for a while, but the shields are showing up again. I have examined around twenty rolls out of the that small crossroad’s hoard. I probably should stop because of the new stuff appearing.

Well, if the zincs and shields are coming from the same sources then you stand a great chance of finding numerous varieties and high graded coins that have been locked away for 30+ years. Your coin has a cool looking cud regardless of grade AU55.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2022 2:56PM

@Joe_360 said:
    @joeykoins,

Joey I caught some of your luck Bud! On my 25th roll, a 2019 Memorial W (Fairly Nice!) and 1964D Silver quarter
    "In The Same Roll!!!"

Good for you, dude!
    Awesome feeling when you first spot that "W"!
    Then, silver to boot.
    ;)

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 10:23PM

DDR 2009d District of Columbia?

Extra Key?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:
    @joeykoins Knowing you? At least 3 W's and 3 40%ers.

Knowing Joey...he's going to end up opening a solid roll of W's at some point :wink:

Not even Joey is going to find that UNLESS some customer cashes them in at a bank unknowingly. Then they would be in a customer wrapped roll not a armoured car service wrapped roll😉

• Options

My Wife said that "Your on a Roll" LOL! I say, "Ride a Hot Streak" Good start to Sunday Morning!!! SRB W V75!

• Options

Did those customer rolls I got from Chase on Friday...SO MUCH FUN!!!
    I only have a few rolls of pennies left to do.
    There are so many pics it's going to need it's own post lol.

In the mean time, here are a few fun ones from the Loomis rolls I grabbed Friday...

Impaired proof?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

From my bank closure purchase nickel box:

3 war nickels, a 1987 Canadian beaver nickel and a Bermuda fish 5 Cent coin dated 2000. An AU 1941 Jefferson nickel and a bunch of low mintmark 1970-1973 nickels. I don't know if these have any numismatic value as of yet. And a 1939 Jefferson. A 2009-D Jefferson and a 1937 buffalo nickel.
    Also, dimes I forgot to mention in my last post. (not pictured) dimes 2009-P-8 and 2009-D-1.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2022 3:40PM

Ironic, just found my second one! Maybe, with a bonus?
    A "Strike Through"?
    2022p DDR

Or maybe just damage?

:*

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2022 5:27PM

@joeykoins , "Not to piss you off" but watch out for falling into that "High Mag Trap". Them super closeups are blurry and can't really see what you are trying to describe. :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2022 5:23PM

Found this today going thru a roll of Lincolns .........wonder where this was hiding all these years?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited August 1, 2022 5:07PM

@Steven59 said:

...your close up pics are way to close and are blurry and can't really see anything clearly.

No, I agree. Trying to get the micro shots but also trying to not make it blurry or too bright also. Yep, you're right.
    Thanks.
    I'll get it better.
    ;)

• Options

#136 W

2020W Samoa V75

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

for those of you that DIDN'T see THISSSSSSSSSS thread.

i can say for my part i have kinda looked over the edges of coins that look like they are broadstruck but don't have any noticeable diameter increase but have no reeds on the edge. so far the ones i've looked at and maybe i'm not paying enough attention, looked like PMD to me but there may have been some super tilted collar errors in the bunch.

the good thing is that these will most likely look like minor o/c or minor MADs which are fairly prevalent on statehood quarters although the easiest way is the same method as looking for silver, just look at the edges, then pull the ones that appear to have no or minimal reeds and inspect.

hope it helps!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Going to do a separate post with my customer rolls results. Super fun and relaxing, It was like a little vacation :blush:

From that search...
    Blue! A bunch. A few of them...

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited August 3, 2022 3:44AM

I am reporting my worst box ever of BWR (Bank wrapped rolls) quarters from the federal reserve.
    Silver-0
    Errors-0
    Varieties-0
    Newer dates (2019-2020) Very few.
    Quarters dated - 2021-2022 -0
    Proofs-1 a 1979-S clad proof quarter.
    Canadian and other Foreign - 0
    Only 1 keeper out of a $500.00 box of quarters?

This job gets very tedious and boring with a box like this. So, future boxes can only get better. There were a lot of 2018 quarters that were BU in this box, but I don't need any 2018's.
    Super Skunkola box.

Forward to the next box. I have done 4 rolls in the next box which seems like a sister box at this point. We shall see.
    This box is from the same bank a week later.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    I am reporting my worst box ever of BWR (Bank wrapped rolls) quarters from the federal reserve.
    Silver-0
    Errors-0
    Varieties-0

This job gets very tedious and boring with a box like this. So, future boxes can only get better. There were a lot of 2018 quarters that were BU in this box, but I don't need any 2018's.
    Super Skunkola box.

Forward to the next box. I have done 4 rolls in the next box which seems like a sister box at this point. We shall see.

Yep, I get it!
    Just some of the bad perks in CRHunting.
    We must learn to take the good with the bad, that's all.
    When the good comes, it most certainly makes up for the bad.
    ;)

• Options
    edited August 3, 2022 9:14AM

A CRHunt metaphor;
    Almost similar to visiting Disneyland.
    To experiencing all the fun and excitement and all the joy you receive from it but without the expensive's.
    Yes, no admission fee. All the profit of fun and results are FREE!
    # House Money!
    Just paying the gas money to reach that destination.

:D

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Silver-0
    Errors-0
    Varieties-0

Super Skunkola box.

good. i'm glad you or someone else here got skunked. (i have recently too) why you ask? am i cruel, despotic, jealous of other success.? what can be the reason?!!?!?

well, getting skunked is usually a good time for some change (no pun intended) and i asked in this thread a little while back about people's list of stuff they look for and i was KINDA hoping something could come about from it (but nothing did) and if several of us put our lists together, we could increase what to look for (that is generally worthy actually pulling out) and therefore hopefully increase what we may find. ya know? of course there will be a lot of overlap but i wouldn't mind expanding my list.

like a top 50 or something? so for those of you wanting to increase what to look for i propose each of us offer up 15 things we personally look for and share. now if you don't want the ENTIRE world in on it, i'm ok with that. we can come up with an easy way to share w/o giving all the secrets away to lurkers and trolls. it'll be especially for those that put for a lot of time and effort here and would be a residual benefit.

something like
    1. 1999 p/d delaware high au or unc
    2. 2021 p washington delaware hat chip

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

ok. i got all quartered out, so i picked up a bunch of 1c, 5c, 10c rolls and i'm like 3-4 rolls in and already regretting it. the 25c, 50c and 100c are SO much easier. lol

PLUS, every SINGLE time i see a 92p or d bu lincoln, i hold my breath as i flip it over only to be disappointed. how many times can a heart be broke. geeze :s

the SINGLE redeeming quality about these denoms is there is a TON of stuff to look for. one of those bitter-sweet things, ya know?

• Options

Respectfully -> @LanceNewmanOCC said:

ok. i got all quartered out, so i picked up a bunch of 1c, 5c, 10c rolls and i'm like 3-4 rolls in and already regretting it. the 25c, 50c and 100c are SO much easier. lol

PLUS, every SINGLE time i see a 92p or d bu lincoln, i hold my breath as i flip it over only to be disappointed. how many times can a heart be broke. geeze :s

the SINGLE redeeming quality about these denoms is there is a TON of stuff to look for. one of those bitter-sweet things, ya know?

I flipped a lot of 88s till I found a wide AM...Still flipping 82, 83, 92, 94, 98, 99, 00 occasionally a 96 too.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

I flipped a lot of 88s till I found a wide AM...Still flipping 82, 83, 92, 94, 98, 99, 00 occasionally a 96 too.

you ever mess with the 82s? looking for the scarce off-metal flans?

i still need to pick up a jewelry digit scale for small items.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@rec78 said:
    Silver-0
    Errors-0
    Varieties-0

Super Skunkola box.

good. i'm glad you or someone else here got skunked. (i have recently too) why you ask? am i cruel, despotic, jealous of other success.? what can be the reason?!!?!?

well, getting skunked is usually a good time for some change (no pun intended) and i asked in this thread a little while back about people's list of stuff they look for and i was KINDA hoping something could come about from it (but nothing did) and if several of us put our lists together, we could increase what to look for (that is generally worthy actually pulling out) and therefore hopefully increase what we may find. ya know? of course there will be a lot of overlap but i wouldn't mind expanding my list.

like a top 50 or something? so for those of you wanting to increase what to look for i propose each of us offer up 15 things we personally look for and share. now if you don't want the ENTIRE world in on it, i'm ok with that. we can come up with an easy way to share w/o giving all the secrets away to lurkers and trolls. it'll be especially for those that put for a lot of time and effort here and would be a residual benefit.

something like
    1. 1999 p/d delaware high au or unc
    2. 2021 p washington delaware hat chip

For me it's maybe the thrill of the hunt some...but really, it's zen time.
    I lose myself in it. It's 100% at my own pace. I stop and look things up. Or maybe I put them aside.
    Maybe everything searched in some order of denomination, maybe not.
    It's one of my many meditations. It actually adds to my perspective of all things, as meditations should.
    The coolest thing for me is maybe the fact that it ALWAYS involves genuine surprise in one way or another :smiley:
    ...It takes me to childhood often as well. It feels nice sometimes to have a smaller awareness of things :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

aren't all 88 wide AM but not serif FG?

• Options
    edited August 3, 2022 4:42PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

'59-'92 should all be wide.
    Great little reference here - https://www.lincolncentcollection.com/closeamwideam.php

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited August 3, 2022 6:55PM

@Kurisu said:
    I lose myself in it. It's 100% at my own pace. I stop and look things up. Or maybe I put them aside.
    It's one of my many meditations. It actually adds to my perspective of all things, as meditations should.
    The coolest thing for me is maybe the fact that it ALWAYS involves genuine surprise in one way or another :smiley:
    ...It takes me to childhood often as well. It feels nice sometimes to have a smaller awareness of things :blush:

we are for sure playing a different sport here. your's sounds quite pleasant as it should be.

for me, going through these lower denoms is kinda like doing a self-cath with no lube and to top it all off, i'm watching tropic thunder for the first time, since i watched it last time for the first time. it really is like a double whammy going on around here.

to be fair, when i picked up the rolls, i figured it was going to take a few days. that plan it seems, is still on. lol

this just goes to show, if you are going to do qty on small coins, you MUST have a good setup, which i don't for this sort of thing and this lesson is proving it. i'll probably give it some thought tomorrow how i can make it a bit less painful and a bit faster. i think doing all those rolls of quarters and halves REALLY spoiled me.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Kurisu said:

we are for sure playing a different sport here. your's sounds quite pleasant as it should be.

for me, going through these lower denoms is kinda like doing a self-cath with no lube and to top it all off, i'm watching tropic thunder for the first time, since i watched it last time for the first time. it really is like a double whammy going on around here.

to be fair, when i picked up the rolls, i figured it was going to take a few days. that plan it seems, is still on. lol

this just goes to show, if you are doing to do qty on small coins, you MUST have a good setup, which i don't for this sort of thing and this lesson is proving it. i'll probably give it some thought tomorrow how i can make it a bit less painful and a bit faster. i think doing all those rolls of quarters and halves REALLY spoiled me.

Well I have been known to, for instance, describe dime rolls as mean evil little horrible nefarious things designed to torture me.
    And I loooooove it. A slow challenge :smile:

But also, my setup is nothing spectacular and I rarely use my digital scope.
    I have two setups...one is table based so I can sit and film at it. The other way I do more is with pads on my couch because I also have my laptop setup there rather than an office style desk.

My work is split between home and a public environment so my (non-coins) work area at home is set up as a little traveling office so operating at my office space at work is an easy "dock".
    Usually a small very old loupe and great lighting, lots of natural window light preferred.

I have patterns of how I'm rotating and scanning coins for details so I'm certainly not always slow (whatever we take that to mean lol). The supermarket bags stuffed with opened roll paper attests to my volume. I recycle it every few bags.

On that note...here's a dime I pulled from a roll earlier this year during one of my "white glove" searches.
    Got it back fairly recently :blush:
    2020 D MS67 10c https://www.pcgs.com/cert/44679027

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

Yes, they’re all Wide AMs but the so-called wide AM does have serifs. Here’s the one I found.

• Options

@Kurisu Nice looking dime, the reverse is borderline PL.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Yes, they’re all Wide AMs but the so-called wide AM does have serifs. Here’s the one I found.

gratz. i've only ever found one a LONG time ago.

usually i just call it the serif G. i'd love something formal and short to call it. transitional reverse sounds too inappropriate.

• Options

Found another under rated DDO.

2020p Salt River Bay

B)

• Options
    edited August 4, 2022 11:25AM

Double Barrels

From 2 different banks
    Let's GO...

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Double Barrels

From 2 different banks
    Let's GO...

Good Luck Dud!!!

• Options

1 - 37p buff full date vg
    1 - 19p 1c vg/f
    1 - 44s 1c xf dmg

found a rhythm today so not nearly as painful as yesterday. will finish out the cents, do a lot of nicks and put a big dent into the dimes.

setting all 82s aside for later evaluation.

i see now from wearing gloves that it is not a viable option but i did get the powder on my hands which will prohibit finger prints so maybe we should start putting talc or baby powder on our hands. (just a bit?) the coins slide in the hand a bit easier too.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

you ever mess with the 82s? looking for the scarce off-metal flans?

i still need to pick up a jewelry digit scale for small items.

Yes, of course but I might be missing something. I know about the bronze 82 D Small date. But isn't there another one that is supposed to be copper but is zinc? Prolly not, it seems like I heard something like that somewhere.
    Then there are some ddo & ddr's in the 82 series (in of itself :)

• Options

I think I need a more powerful macro lens. The one I'm using doesn't seem to make hi res pics that I can enlarge like a TV for example.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Yes, of course but I might be missing something. I know about the bronze 82 D Small date. But isn't there another one that is supposed to be copper but is zinc? Prolly not, it seems like I heard something like that somewhere.
    Then there are some ddo & ddr's in the 82 series (in of itself :)

ya.

i don't know the spec off the top of my head but i've also read about someone finding some in ohio or somewhere nearby like that. i'll check the pops here in a bit. found about 10 more wheats today but nothing big. i started out looking for some double ears, dates, lib etc but decided just to look for the normal dozen things or so since i got so much change here.

probably the neatest (minor) thing is a 2019 RD nice crescent obv/rev toner w/o spotting/corrosion. found a nice rd bu 92 p/d but no CAM. awe

• Options
    edited August 4, 2022 4:59PM

a 46 silver dime. not much to speak of but i did get to do the silver ring test.

silver is a ting (high pitched)
    clad is a thud (no pitched)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file