Options

EBay to Authenticate all Raw Cards over $750

Comments

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 2:00PM

^^^^^^^ $500 now instead of $750.... For a "limited" time. Then who pays and how much??

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 4:44PM

@NGS428 said:

@jeffcbay said:

Ha…. Same here. I was surprised to see how quickly they went to $500. Must be confident in the system and can also see the upcoming $.

The lower the threshold the more income for eBay and CSG/CGC (Blackstone). Revenue I might add that will be coming from what was previous seller profit and possible buyer's pockets. Seller bend over and prepare for a good fistin'

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, what is the issue with this? Not sure I see a problem.

@jeffcbay said:

@jeffcbay said:
    How soon until you see people relisting their "sealed and QR-coded" cards? And will they have to go through the whole authentication process again?

Welp... that didn't take long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134024044278?epid=93932340&hash=item1f34749ef6:g:qXsAAOSwOG5iCb3R

• Options

Jesus I hate defending eBay but card authentication has been around for a long time, and its impact on card prices has been inflationary. The raw cards that qualify for this program very likely will sell for MORE then they did previously.

Blown away by how negative the general opinion on authentication is, on a forum that is focused on…..card authentication. When did we become against steps in the card buying process to ensure what we bought is what is was supposed to be, even if that costs more.

Price accordingly, this should create more buyers, more demand and whatever comes next, which usually isn’t less profit.

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@NGS428 said:

@jeffcbay said:

Ha…. Same here. I was surprised to see how quickly they went to $500. Must be confident in the system and can also see the upcoming $.

The lower the threshold the more income for eBay and CSG/CGC (Blackstone). Revenue I might add that will be coming from what was previous seller profit and possible buyer's pockets. Seller bend over and prepare for a good fistin'

• Options
    edited February 15, 2022 7:42PM

and $250 PSA slabs?

CSG/CGC (Blackstone) make mistakes all the time. CGC's QC is non-existent.

Then there is the matter of integrity; "Promise Collection" anyone!

CGC has less than 20 graders, Blackstone is cheap, cheap, cheap,cheap. As the flood of cards hit, expect cards to pile up faster than their thin staff can handle and remain in hot and humid Sarasota Florida for an extended stay. BTW they only work business days! If the items are paid for after action ends and the cards are in Florida 6+ months, do buyers loose Paypal and Card issuer protection in event of an issue?

@80sOPC said:
    Jesus I hate defending eBay but card authentication has been around for a long time, and its impact on card prices has been inflationary. The raw cards that qualify for this program very likely will sell for MORE then they did previously.

Blown away by how negative the general opinion on authentication is, on a forum that is focused on…..card authentication. When did we become against steps in the card buying process to ensure what we bought is what is was supposed to be, even if that costs more.

Price accordingly, this should create more buyers, more demand and whatever comes next, which usually isn’t less profit.

@NGS428 said:

@jeffcbay said:

• Options

BTW it's easy for me or anyone to speculate now. However all will be revealed by end of the year and we will know if the negativity is warranted. If it is I personally love saying "I told you so" :smile:

• Options

and $250 PSA slabs?

CGC has less than 20 graders, Blackstone is cheap, cheap, cheap,cheap. As the flood of cards hit, expect cards to pile up faster than their thin staff can handle and remain in hot and humid Sarasota Florida for an extended stay. BTW they only work business days! If the items are paid for after action ends and the cards are in Florida 6+ months, do buyers loose Paypal and Card issuer protection in event of an issue?

@80sOPC said:

@NGS428 said:

@jeffcbay said:

the thought of paying CSG to authenticate PSA cards is dumbfounding

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:

and $250 PSA slabs?

@80sOPC said:

@NGS428 said:

@jeffcbay said:

the thought of paying CSG to authenticate PSA cards is dumbfounding

Perhaps PSA should offer to partner with eBay to authenticate CGC slabbed comic books. Seems only fair.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like a great way for CGC to learn first hand from inspecting (in the privacy of their building no less) every competitors slabs. I know if I were PSA or a competitor of CGC, I wouldn't want them stealing my ideas/time/effort to make my slabs the best. At least make them work for it, not just allow them to have as many slabs as they want to inspect my way of doing things.

• Options

Not sure that will be a problem. I don’t see myself ever subbing to CSG but I have a few of their slabs and the quality and clearness if the slab is far ahead of every other TPG. Not like slab technology is something that needs to be studied, this is pretty old technology

@swish54 said:
    Seems like a great way for CGC to learn first hand from inspecting (in the privacy of their building no less) every competitors slabs. I know if I were PSA or a competitor of CGC, I wouldn't want them stealing my ideas/time/effort to make my slabs the best. At least make them work for it, not just allow them to have as many slabs as they want to inspect my way of doing things.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Sorry, what is the issue with this? Not sure I see a problem.

The issue with this is the Ebay sticker and packaging can easily be tampered with, and card can be swapped out with a fake one. If we don't trust PSA slabs, how can we trust a sticker sealing a card saver??

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh.... the idea of buying raw on ebay in todays environment just does not appeal to me in the least ... at a card show? no problem.... I think ebay is doing the correct thing however confirming the authenticity for that very risky market.

• Options

Does this affect Canadian sellers? Just sold a PSA 10 card for $1500 CAD to a US buyer and no mention of a authenticity check etc and mailing direct to the buyer (do not use the rip off GSP)

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Crashingwaves said:
    Does this affect Canadian sellers? Just sold a PSA 10 card for $1500 CAD to a US buyer and no mention of a authenticity check etc and mailing direct to the buyer (do not use the rip off GSP)

Read their policy...I believe it is only when both addresses are in the US.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 12:27PM

jeffcbay, but won't the card have to be re-authenticated by CGC since the card is being sold raw on eBay for over $500? You don't think CGC will recognize a fake card? Isn't that exactly what the service being offered is for?

Robb

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2022 7:30AM

“It’s ridiculous to have CGC authenticate a PSA slab”

Except this happens every day:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1071355/tough-situation

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake slabs are getting better and better. The ones that were found at trade night in Houston would have fooled me. I would not be surprised if PSA and SGC work with CSG to help them ensure slabs are real. It is in PSA’s best interest to have anything that is a deterrent to fake slabs. Would rather have overkill now than EBay react after it has become a bigger issue.

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I agree, I understand the trepidation about increased fees for this service, that is still an open question at this point.

Many folks are asking why we should trust CGC's opinion over PSA, when the question they should instead be asking, is CGC better at this than the average eBay buyer. In my opinion, CGC/eBay would essentially be authenticating the PSA slab as legitimate, not so much the card itself. An important distinction.

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    jeffcbay, but won't the card have to be re-authenticated by CGC since the card is being sold raw on eBay for over $500? You don't think CGC will recognize a fake card? Isn't that exactly what the service being offered is for?

Robb

They don't authenticate cards that are already authenticated.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

They would if the seller set up the listing properly. The Seller should NOT be selecting that the card is GRADED (because it really isn't graded). In some cases there are sellers currently listing the eBay / CCG Authenticated cards as GRADED=YES. That is preventing the eBay automation from recognizing the card needs to go through the eBay/CCG Authentication process again.

• Options

Imagine that... a loophole. Who saw that coming?

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:

@jeffcbay said:

They would if the seller set up the listing properly. The Seller should NOT be selecting that the card is GRADED (because it really isn't graded). In some cases there are sellers currently listing the eBay / CCG Authenticated cards as GRADED=YES. That is preventing the eBay automation from recognizing the card needs to go through the eBay/CCG Authentication process again.

This has become a pain overall on ebay. Some sellers think if they assign a grade to a card, they should select "yes" in the graded attribute. The result is a lot of raw cards listed in the "graded" category.

• Options

They're already having problems. Issues with packaging and shipping. Cards being damaged. Cards were slipping out of the card savers. This is going to be a disaster/already is a disaster. When they do the $250 graded cards ....OMG. They will be completely overwhelmed.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I now see the eBay Authenticity Guarantee showing up on items other than cards, a vintage wax wrapper for example. So this incredibly fragile wrapper is going to be sent to an authenticator to handle and examine. Does the authenticator have experience handling and shipping wrappers? Will it then be shoved in a card saver so it can receive its “authentic” sticker?

If I were a seller, I would be afraid this process would drive away buyers. I personally don’t want anything to do with it.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay should then send the cards to several of the contributors here and we can triple check their work.

Then off to PRO grading and everyone will be happy that their cards now grade a 10.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2022 10:38PM

https://youtu.be/newHGkzgqxc

Here is Probstein’s take on it - I imagine he may be the most affected seller and he seems to think it is a good thing.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it’s been said but I was wondering why my raw cards never got a “eBay authenticity” and just got shipped to me.

Turns out they won’t do it if the buyer has a P.O. Box.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Not sure if it’s been said but I was wondering why my raw cards never got a “eBay authenticity” and just got shipped to me.

Turns out they won’t do it if the buyer has a P.O. Box.

Authenticity matters only for cards shipped via Fedex or UPS.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I now see the eBay Authenticity Guarantee showing up on items other than cards, a vintage wax wrapper for example. So this incredibly fragile wrapper is going to be sent to an authenticator to handle and examine. Does the authenticator have experience handling and shipping wrappers? Will it then be shoved in a card saver so it can receive its “authentic” sticker?

If I were a seller, I would be afraid this process would drive away buyers. I personally don’t want anything to do with it.

This is my concern also. I am seeing this now for packs, too. What kind of holder is the "authenticator" going to use after examining the pack? I can examine my own packs, I don't need some clueless joe handing my items to tell me what I already know and possibly damage the pack in the process.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

This is my concern also. I am seeing this now for packs, too. What kind of holder is the "authenticator" going to use after examining the pack? I can examine my own packs, I don't need some clueless joe handing my items to tell me what I already know and possibly damage the pack in the process.

Heck Grote, you probably know more about the pack than the "expert" authenticating it.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Lot of > @swish54 said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

Heck Grote, you probably know more about the pack than the "expert" authenticating it.

FTFY

Heck Grote, you definitely know more about the pack than the "expert" authenticating it.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

It's all well and good that Grote knows more about pack-grading than the experts at TPG's. But what about the large majority of folks who do not know as much about grading packs? I think the Authentication is geared towards protecting the those who don't know how to spot fakes, reprints, doctored cards, etc...

I see they are verifying slabbed cards now over $2K. I think that's good. Remember, they are not "Grading" the card, they are authenticating that the slab is legit. This is good for the hobby (imho). I feel sorry for the poor collectors who bought the fake slabs I saw get auctioned off -- one of which sold for about $10K. This eBay Authentication process could have prevented that crime...

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

@jeffcbay said:
    How soon until you see people relisting their "sealed and QR-coded" cards? And will they have to go through the whole authentication process again?

Welp... that didn't take long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134024044278?epid=93932340&hash=item1f34749ef6:g:qXsAAOSwOG5iCb3R

LMAO i dont think it should work that way

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

i received on on a suprfractor i just bought, it was cool to have a little piece of mind.... I am going to check my cards to see if i find a franco !!!!

• Options
    edited April 29, 2022 12:36PM

@DotStore said:
    It's all well and good that Grote knows more about pack-grading than the experts at TPG's. But what about the large majority of folks who do not know as much about grading packs? I think the Authentication is geared towards protecting the those who don't know how to spot fakes, reprints, doctored cards, etc...

I see they are verifying slabbed cards now over $2K. I think that's good. Remember, they are not "Grading" the card, they are authenticating that the slab is legit. This is good for the hobby (imho). I feel sorry for the poor collectors who bought the fake slabs I saw get auctioned off -- one of which sold for about $10K. This eBay Authentication process could have prevented that crime...

The question still remains: what particular expertise do these authenticators possess that allows them to vett fake slabs, fake raw cards, fake wrappers and resealed packs? That sounds like a very wide breadth of expertise.

Here’s an auction for a BBCE wrapped wax box. What are they authenticating here, that the BBCE wrap isn’t fake? All purpose authenticators don’t fill me with confidence, sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223461947528?hash=item34075eb888:g:tpwAAOSwFqNZVvkh

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@DotStore said:

The question still remains: what particular expertise do these authenticators possess that allows them to vett fake slabs, fake raw cards, fake wrappers and resealed packs? That sounds like a very wide breadth of expertise.

Here’s an auction for a BBCE wrapped wax box. What are they authenticating here, that the BBCE wrap isn’t fake? All purpose authenticators don’t fill me with confidence, sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223461947528?hash=item34075eb888:g:tpwAAOSwFqNZVvkh

Regarding packs, wrappers and boxes, my gut tells me that those listings have been setup incorrectly. For instance, the item you listed is listed under
    Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop>Sports Trading Cards>Trading Card Singles

And if the seller listed under Sealed Trading Card Boxes instead, then it would not get stamped as Authenticity Gauranteed

Regarding fake cards or doctored cards, they are in the business of grading cards. Over time, the hobby will judge them on how good or how bad their service is by the actual grades assigned to cards in their slabs. All TPG's let some bad cards slip through.

Regarding fake slabs, I am not sure. I'm just thinking they have a team of resources that can review the slab to ensure its authenticity. Some slabs will be obviously fake. The fakes that are too good to tell, if that becomes a reality then it's game over. The average collector will have no chance knowing what they bought is good or not...

========================================================

According to the Authenticity Guarantee eligibility (as of this posting)

What items are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee?
    Authenticity Guarantee is available for individual sports trading cards, collectible card games, and non-sports trading cards $250 and above for ungraded cards, and $2,000 and above for graded cards. Check back for updates and new eligible price points. Sets, lots, kits, decks, boxes, packs, autograph cards, art cards, redemption cards, and cards that contain additional items, embellishments, or memorabilia, such as patches, jersey, swatch, equipment, props, relics, costumes, or wardrobe cards do not qualify for Authenticity Guarantee at this time. U.S. territory locations (incl. Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Armed forces postal locations are not currently covered. Listings that offer only local pickup or items shipped to P.O. Boxes will not be eligible for Authenticity Guarantee. If the seller gifts a card free of charge to the buyer, the bonus card will not be eligible for the Authenticity Guarantee service.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@PaulMaul said:

@DotStore said:

Regarding packs, wrappers and boxes, my gut tells me that those listings have been setup incorrectly. For instance, the item you listed is listed under
    Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop>Sports Trading Cards>Trading Card Singles

And if the seller listed under Sealed Trading Card Boxes instead, then it would not get stamped as Authenticity Gauranteed

Thanks for pointing that out, the wrapper I was referencing is listed under Trading Card singles as well. It makes me feel better that these items are not intended to be authenticated. I may contact the seller and ask him to relist it, because it would likely cause logistical problems if an item like this is purchased as is.

• Options

PSA is doing the authentication of the graded cards. That kind of came out of nowhere.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    PSA is doing the authentication of the graded cards. That kind of came out of nowhere.

How the heck does PSA have the time to take that on?!

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

That is good news. I had not heard or read that anywhere. Maybe with the PWCC deal - Ebay is looking to cut ties and PSA will eventually take over the whole thing.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

Perfect! You gotta believe the idea of a third party checking that the slab is authentic is a great idea and long overdue. Kudos to eBay!!!

• Options

I just can't wait to see how much this is going to cost sellers. It will be expensive.....is my guess.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

hey PaulMaul,
    That's a Pretty Cool looking box... :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

Could not this same reasoning apply to cards?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

Could not this same reasoning apply to cards?

Raw cards, definitely. Authenticator is a bit rushed, damages the card putting it into the card saver. Hopefully he does the right thing, but it could be stamped authentic and the sale is final, no?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

The expansion continues. Graded trading cards $2,000+ are now included.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    I just can't wait to see how much this is going to cost sellers. It will be expensive.....is my guess.

I'd also expect that the price of this authentication will increase based on sale price of the card. Similar to PSA does for grading. Many seller folk here thought the hobby exploding in 2020-2021 was a great thing - won't debate that either way but soon the time to come to pay the pipers. Actually it's already occurred with PSA costs it will now occur with eBay. The boom will be gone but the higher costs left in its wake will remain. My guess sometime in the in the next couple of years it will begin long lean spell for Card sellers.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

All my graded cards for sale have authenticity guarantee. Now we have to pay tax on buying/selling with grading fees along with authenticity for the grading lol

• Options
    edited May 6, 2022 9:17AM

This is why the slab verification service is a good thing. Pulled this screenshot off of this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/UvJRRhC7V0E

In this case barcode goes to wrong card but the number on the slab is the same as the real one. The fake was sold on Goldin Auctions and outed in blowout. Think PSA a needs to provide this same service to their sister company. I look up the cert but do it by typing in the number. Think most of us do this for on-line auctions.

Which slab is the fake one in the photo above? Side by side you may be able to tell but can everyone? Would you have noticed without the side by side?

As I have said from the beginning. - fake slabs are getting better and better. I think it is a good thing that Ebay and PSA are proactively stopping this before it gets out of control. In ultra-modern selling a 9 as a 10 in a good fake slab is hard to tell.

On the vintage I buy - think the risk is a bit less unless the crIminal puts a trimmed card in the slab. Easier to tell say a 6 or 7 for an 8 or 9 than it is an ultra-modern 9 for a 10. But I still welcome the peace of mind.

This fooled Goldin in April 2021 - can you honestly say it would not have fooled you?

PSA/EBay can eventually get to the source and hopefully there will be consequences to those who try and cheat us.