Options

FUN Cancellation List

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@golden said:

@amwldcoin said:
    How does CDN not being at a show affect anything to do with a show??? I can't think of a thing myself!

@spacehayduke said:
    FUN website says over 1500 dealers registered - it will still be a great show. However, having heavy hitters like an active Ha auction, US Mint, CDN, NGC and PCGS fully active, adds to the overall buzz. I will be curious to hear attendee reports about how it feels with keys missing.........

Best, SH

Or the US Mint.

Doesn't the US Mint sell proof sets, mint sets, current commemorate coins, etc?

Yes. They've even released new coins at major shows.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Pnies20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:

@golden said:

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone know how many dealers were scheduled to attend?

Not sure of the number, but it was probably going to be the largest coin show ever in the US.

Probably still will be if they don’t shut it down. Relatively low # canceled so far considering the negative chatter.

I'm not sure anyone is tracking the smaller dealers.

I care about the small dealers 😢

It seems like some big names pulling out should help the smaller dealers. There is plenty of demand and people with money to spend. If the bigger dealers are not there, it could translate to more eyeballs for the others (and likely more sales).

And less people looking might = more 🍒 for some 😁

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@golden said:
    I would guess that 99% of FUN attendees do not care.

My experience at FUN is that the US Mint area is always busy, lot's of their coins being bought, plus they bring alot of good stuff to exhibit. Very active at FUN. Equally busy to PCGS where it is always hectic........

Best, SH

It's the same at the summer ANA show. I would not have thought there would be a ton of interest, especially if there is no new release (like the 2014 Gold Kennedy) but there always seems to be people interested. I was equally surprised one year when there was a long line waiting to get a signature from a mint director.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet the vast majority of attendees at FUN are in the market for "stuff", including US Mint products. So the absence of the Mint will cause some disappointment. But I actually can't imagine a realistic scenario by which the show itself would be a great disappointment to most attendees.

For dealers, I suppose it depends. My impression is that for the big-ticket dealers the show is first and foremost an opportunity to buy from other dealers or wholesalers. In that case, the absence of five or six major players might have a big impact. For the smaller dealers selling "stuff", maybe not so much.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of at least one of those smaller guys who cancelled yesterday, even after being upgraded to a corner table. One guy doesn't make much difference but @jmlanzaf makes a good point in asking how many more like him are out there. Maybe enough to make an impact. But might some of the attending dealers have a better show because of less competition?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:
    @RYK said:

“The Platinum Night coins have not been vaxed and are staying home.”

Maybe expensive slabs need to be sanitized in the UV Phone Sanitizer Box, which kills up to 99.9% of Bacteria & Viruses😉

That could be useful before handling the coins.

I'm guessing no harm would be done to the coin or slab?

Can a small dealer fit in that thing?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add HLRC. Just got an email.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 2:20PM

@sellitstore said:
    I know of at least one of those smaller guys who cancelled yesterday, even after being upgraded to a corner table. One guy doesn't make much difference but @jmlanzaf makes a good point in asking how many more like him are out there. Maybe enough to make an impact. But might some of the attending dealers have a better show because of less competition?

There will be less competition and less of a market. There are potentially some good deals to be had but they may be challenging to find.

Good luck to everyone that goes!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Pnies20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:

@golden said:

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone know how many dealers were scheduled to attend?

Not sure of the number, but it was probably going to be the largest coin show ever in the US.

Probably still will be if they don’t shut it down. Relatively low # canceled so far considering the negative chatter.

I'm not sure anyone is tracking the smaller dealers.

I care about the small dealers 😢

It seems like some big names pulling out should help the smaller dealers. There is plenty of demand and people with money to spend. If the bigger dealers are not there, it could translate to more eyeballs for the others (and likely more sales).

Might help us collectors, too.
    I know that some of the smaller dealers save their nicer stuff to sell at FUN, and a lot of this is sold prior to regular show hours. Maybe more will be available for those of us without early bird passes.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Based on how short this list is, I would guess that at least 90% of the dealers will be there.

my thinking small `%

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 8:00PM

@tonedroosies said:
    Not sure if it’s been posted here already, but GreatCollections has also cancelled.

Ian @ianrussell just confirmed that GC is going.

For others, I wonder if there's a "domino effect" at play. For example, @alefzero mentioned in the other thread that he had a great table location but is pulling out partially due to PCGS and Heritage pulling back.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 4:51PM

GC is going

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2022 8:01PM
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you hear that the Heritage Platinum session lots won't be available for lot viewing? That really doesn't make any sense??

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mark. I hope to see you at the show.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    Thanks Mark. I hope to see you at the show.

I won’t be there, but appreciate the thought and would have enjoyed it. Have fun.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 7:32PM

WOW

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @byers what is your goal with the constant doom posting? Others as well.

I get it, you’re not going to FUN and I respect your reasons.

Now, respectfully, put a sock in it.

Very interesting response. Did you read the title ? 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 9:15AM

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/b4/04/179A4D4C-BCFA-4FE1-8D1D-AD15D7AF09CE/IMG_4442.gif

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to FlightAware, a flight-tracking website, 2,311 flights entering, leaving or within the U.S. were canceled as of 7:30 a.m. ET Saturday. Another 424 flights were delayed.

On the American Airlines website, I've been checking the corresponding flights that I will taking next Thursday morning. They've been on time, or early, every day this week. Doesn't mean it will continue that way but, so far, no problems.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

FUN might be the last national coin show until Central States.

Omicron is mild, but it still means business.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/12/30/la-county-reports-more-than-20000-new-coronavirus-cases-fueled-by-omicron/
    LA County reports more than 20,000 new coronavirus cases, fueled by omicron

• Options

@MFeld said:

@boiler78 said:
    Where did you hear that the Heritage Platinum session lots won't be available for lot viewing? That really doesn't make any sense??

Hi Mark. The Platinum Night session, as well as all of the other lots from the sale will be available for viewing at the show. They were shipped last week.

Good to know Mark!

@RYK mentioned Platinum Night not going earlier in this thread.

• Options

It’s not the first time that Heritage hosted their auctions the week after a major show. Platinum night has some exciting coins!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 12:42PM

Deleted, as the post to which I replied has been edited.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s no FUN. I don’t blame them a bit. It isn’t worth becoming ill for. Stay safe everyone!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@boiler78 said:

Hi Mark. The Platinum Night session, as well as all of the other lots from the sale will be available for viewing at the show. They were shipped last week.

Good to know Mark!

@RYK mentioned Platinum Night not going earlier in this thread.

I edited my post. I was horsing around. I thought it was fairly obvious and did not intend to start false rumors or spread (more) misinformation.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pioneer1 said:

@savitale said:
    I actually can't imagine a realistic scenario by which the show itself would be a great disappointment to most attendees.

I can. This situation of going to a show and discovering people I wanted to see not be there happened to me at the recent Long Beach CA coin show. I spent time and money as a private collector to get there, and some of the key dealers I wanted to see were not there. It was a lesson-learned but also made me lose trust in the show. I think anyone having a coin show should have a real-time live list of which dealers are planning on attending and which are not (who canceled). If a show organizer is not going to be clear who will be there, they might be risking brand / reputation damage.

Of course, maybe it's buyer beware and all my own fault for being naive, and I collect such a smaller area in exonumia, that it affects me more perhaps than the general coins market. But I can foresee interested new collectors being unhappy. I think this forum post is a valuable customer service for anyone planning on going to FUN. I was going to go (first time for me to FUN), but I'm not "wasting my time" or money due to the flight situation and lots of dealer cancellations. I don't think it would be any fun for me.

Yes, you don’t fall into the category of “most attendees”, in my opinion. You’re looking for rare and specialized material that only a handful of dealers may have. That’s a case where this list (or your own research) is valuable.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:
    According to FlightAware, a flight-tracking website, 2,311 flights entering, leaving or within the U.S. were canceled as of 7:30 a.m. ET Saturday. Another 424 flights were delayed.

On the American Airlines website, I've been checking the corresponding flights that I will taking next Thursday morning. They've been on time, or early, every day this week. Doesn't mean it will continue that way but, so far, no problems.

Good to know as I have an AA flight. That may put me "over the top" on my decision.

Tom

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case someone reads some of the posts above about GC not being at FUN, could
    @tonedroosies
    @Zoins
    @MsMorrisine
    please update their posts? GC will be at the show.

We've not told anyone we're not attending that I'm aware of.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@tonedroosies said:
    Not sure if it’s been posted here already, but GreatCollections has also cancelled.

Who said this? We didn't.

GreatCollections will be at FUN - Table 427.

• Ian

Excellent news and I'm so glad you cleared that up.
    I was checking your website and my emails and saw nothing.
    I was afraid of disinformation being spread.
    That's reckless.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who said this? We didn't.

Some poster named Tonedroosies - perhaps he'll show up and explain himself.

Glad you're going to be there, Ian. I will be stopping by your table to discuss something with you.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited!

Zoins has more than just the OP to edit

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Edited!

Zoins has more than just the OP to edit

Thanks!

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @byers what is your goal with the constant doom posting? Others as well.

I get it, you’re not going to FUN and I respect your reasons.

Now, respectfully, put a sock in it.

Happy New Year

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 6:31PM

Also a few more table cancellations as per the FUN website, to be added to the list.

• Options

@ianrussell said:
    Just in case someone reads some of the posts above about GC not being at FUN, could
    @tonedroosies
    @Zoins
    @MsMorrisine
    please update their posts? GC will be at the show.

We've not told anyone we're not attending that I'm aware of.

• Ian

Updated Ian. Sorry about that. This can be a fast moving thread and is based on the honor system.

• Options

@Byers said:
    Also a few more table cancellations as per the FUN website, to be added to the list.

Good updates. I added them to the list.

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    WOW

I was about to fly to the US from Europe next week and spend a month or so and then go to Long Beach in February... but I had to cancel... not so much due to my personal issues with COVID but how travel and other hospitality services will be effected.

In Europe we are starting to see a disruption of services just because people are in quarantine from being exposed. Flight cancellations can happen because of a lot of different reasons... its not just flight attendants and pilots that are at issue but also gate personnel, baggage handlers and TSA agents. I suspect that the travel in the US in the next month will be a real royal PITA. Even trains, cabs and Ubers will be affected.

Hotels here had to close restaurants and room service as well. I wont even get into supply chain issues. Omicron is affecting everything at this point.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 9:11PM

@TonerGuy said:

@Byers said:
    WOW

I was about to fly to the US from Europe next week and spend a month or so and then go to Long Beach in February... but I had to cancel... not so much due to my personal issues with COVID but how travel and other hospitality services will be effected.

In Europe we are starting to see a disruption of services just because people are in quarantine from being exposed. Flight cancellations can happen because of a lot of different reasons... its not just flight attendants and pilots that are at issue but also gate personnel, baggage handlers and TSA agents. I suspect that the travel in the US in the next month will be a real royal PITA. Even trains, cabs and Ubers will be affected.

Hotels here had to close restaurants and room service as well. I wont even get into supply chain issues. Omicron is affecting everything at this point.

It does seem like a lot of things are being affected now. Hopefully everyone going has a lot of FUN!

Total flight cancellations for the US reached 2,749 yesterday out of 4,740 total.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday

News outlets are running some homepage headlines on this today:

• BBC.com: US flight cancellations hit new holiday peak amid Covid and bad weather
    • CNN.com: Flight cancellations hit a new peak. A meteor shower is on the way

Hopefully things get better and they are a bit better today with just 2,279 US cancellations so far.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

• Options

@Zoins

New York’s infected numbers are extremely high as well as Florida’s, and the NY INC coin show is around the corner.

This discussion has been closed.