Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pedigrees On Labels

2»

Comments

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    I care about the coin. I don't care who owned it before me.

I care about the coin FIRST. If someone I respect owned it before me it is a BONUS.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I care about who owned it if the collector or collection was assembled in a historically significant period or put away for many decades.

Example: some of the business strike Barbers in the Eliasberg collection were purchased from a dealer or collector who obtained them directly from the Mint. That is significant to the hobby/marketplace not just the purchaser.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

When I see a post about pedigrees, I always think of the Crazyhounddog's special label and the story behind it.
    His is great.
    I really do not care about pedigrees nor will I pay extra for one.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 9:07AM

Here's another one that was just posted into the New Purchases thread.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13103605/#Comment_13103605

The insert says H. Weinberger Collection. I didn't know who Weinberger was so I looked him up and he's very well known in his area! So, definitely worth adding in my opinion.

http://www.spaceflownartifacts.com/flown_moon_money_tokens.html

Howard C. Weinberger is considered one of the founding fathers of Space Collecting, with a specialization in coins and medallions. He is the one who uncovered the full background of the Robbins Medallions and authored two books about them, providing all the historical data, including which were flown. He also published the research on the Fliteline Medals as well as the Apollo 13 and Apollo 14 Franklin Mint Medals.

His influence is far reaching as he was also the one to get Numismatic Guaranty Corp (NGC) to agree to certify the Robbins Medallions, followed by the Fliteline Medallions, the Apollo 13 and Apollo 14 Franklin Medallions and then all the medals related to Space.

Weinberger is known to have a keen eye for what would become popular among collectors. He was the first to assemble a collection of the gold Robbins Medallions and paid large sums to acquire them when people thought he was crazy.

Over the years his expertise has been sought out by collectors, dealers, auction houses and journalists. After many years, parts of his collections have come to market for collectors to enjoy. Many of the finest Medallions that have surfaced for sale can be identified as from his collection by the certification letter being addressed to him from an astronaut.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    I care about who owned it if the collector or collection was assembled in a historically significant period or put away for many decades.

Example: some of the business strike Barbers in the Eliasberg collection were purchased from a dealer or collector who obtained them directly from the Mint. That is significant to the hobby/marketplace not just the purchaser.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

I like if for long time collections. Not so much when the coin passes through their hands for a pit stop.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin comes first but knowing the provenance is kinda cool especially if it’s from a well know collection. It adds a dimension of history and traceability. Whether it’s on the label holder, I personally don’t care but many others do and it will potentially add value. So - I try to get pedigrees added plain and simple.

Great to find one of your coins in an old auction catalog.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @MWallace I'm not sure if you would appreciate it, but I would certainly appreciate a slab that said "Wallace Collection", especially for small dollar pieces!

As you wish . . . . .

Zoid's got a bit of everything . . . . . . .

Z

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:
    @MWallace I'm not sure if you would appreciate it, but I would certainly appreciate a slab that said "Wallace Collection", especially for small dollar pieces!

I'll see what I can do. :D

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 11:38AM

Any provenance really worth noting does not need to be on the tag as it would be obvious as such coins are well studied and documented. Even an average Eliasberg coin is not particularly special. Ultrararities are another story and their stories are well known. AFAIAC, the pedigree relevant to a coin I have is that of myself and having vanity tags is not for me.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Provenance or "chain of ownership" can be important to folks looking to avoid counterfeits in the current marketplace.

They can also be misleading if an error is made B) ...

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

i buy coins cause they got my notice not cause of who owned them before me

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

@silverpop said:
    i buy coins cause they got my notice not cause of who owned them before me

I do too, but that doesn't mean it's still not nice to know who owned them before.

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    Provenance or "chain of ownership" can be important to folks looking to avoid counterfeits in the current marketplace.

They can also be misleading if an error is made B) ...

Very good point. This seems especially important for older, lower grade coins.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider the term Provenance is more correct here and I also believe there are two types:
    --- a Provenance to History which shows the previous owners of important or notable coins which I believe is important to the Hobby. examples are those such as Norweb, Ford, Garrett, etc. but I don't believe it's important to note every coin they've owned solely because they were the owner.
    --- a Provenance which tends to be ego based and is given either as an award or for a fee. examples might be Registry Set coins from yearly winners in each category, various "hoards" such as Binion with numerous ordinary coins and large submissions which receive a Provenance for no other reason than being submitted.

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

I am currently working on a book trying to track all of the coins that I collect and update rarity scale. Provenance on a coin certainly makes it much more simple to track versus trying to determine which coin is which from old crappy auction catalogs pictures. From an egotistical standpoint, I recently got my collection pedigreed because I am pretty damn proud that I managed to put together the most complete set ever after 45 years of collecting. So in my case important on two different levels

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options

Certainly one of my most interesting ones B) ...

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    Certainly one of my most interesting ones B) ...

But… but… that’s a light side coin!

• Options

Interesting story; sent to me as a counterfeit, I authenticated it and agreed to send it in as a bet. I won and added the coin to my collection as "ex-counterfeit, authentic S-260"!.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

A clarification:

Labels with the pedigree "Darryl Gomez Collection" identifies a specimen that is in my research collection of President of the United States special Government medals (POTUS sGms). To date, none have been sold and I do not plan to sell my collection. This label ties the POTUS sGm to me and my research (so far published in two books). https://potus-sgm.com/

What is not divulged on the label is that many of these research specimens have an unbroken chain of ownership (provenance) from the US Mint to a Sitting President to every owner to the current owner. This information has not been currently published in a book, but I have been working on it for my third book.

Therefore, the label's pedigree ties the specimen to my research. And in several cases, an active unbroken chain of ownership, that can be continued to a future buyer of the medal.

Example of the President Eisenhower Class 1 medal given to George C. Allen (friend and neighbor). Not shown it the Bureau of the Mint provenance memo identifying these medals as being manufactured for use by President Eisenhower (yes, it does exist, you can see a redacted copy in some of the videos at my potus-sgm website). Items redacted below is for privacy.

Example of the President Kennedy Class 5 medal given to Miss Mary Gallagher (personal secretary of Mrs. Kennedy).

• Options
    edited November 25, 2021 9:34AM

@DrDarryl said:
    Labels with the pedigree "Darryl Gomez Collection" identifies a specimen that is in my research collection of President of the United States special Government medals (POTUS sGms). To date, none have been sold and I do not plan to sell my collection. This label ties the POTUS sGm to me and my research (so far published in two books). https://potus-sgm.com/

What is not divulged on the label is that many of these research specimens have an unbroken chain of ownership (provenance) from the US Mint to a Sitting President to every owner to the current owner. This information has not been currently published in a book, but I have been working on it for my third book.

Therefore, the label's pedigree ties the specimen to my research. And in several cases, an active unbroken chain of ownership, that can be continued to a future buyer of the medal.

Example of the President Eisenhower Class 1 medal given to George C. Allen (friend and neighbor). Not shown it the Bureau of the Mint provenance memo identifying these medals as being manufactured for use by President Eisenhower (yes, it does exist, you can see a redacted copy in some of the videos at my potus-sgm website). Items redacted below is for privacy.

This is wonderful information and I'm glad to hear of your ongoing research!

The one thing I'll say is that you also have a wonderful collection of Hawaiiana and it would be great for those to have your provenance as well.

If you feel it's necessary to separate out the collections from your Presidential reference collection and your Hawaiiana collection, you could create a specific research provenance like Quentin David Bowers did. You could even add your photo if you wanted to :)

Like the situation with your slab provenance now, the QDB provenance often comes after a long line of other important owners that are not captured on the slab. Some of them are available from his price lists. It would be great to assemble all this available information into a reference.

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I like the provenance to be known when associated with a well known collector. I like the history that it brings. I would pay extra is some cases. I don’t like the gimmicky or small time collectors adding theirs.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've designed a very cool label !
    Weed Smoking Man is my favorite token !
    Never owned one, is that one yours Stef ?

@coinsarefun said:
    To bad this wouldn't fit on mine :p

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Very nice Mike @Byers! I consider your provenance the top provenance for errors as you've had so many amazing coins!

Thanks for participating on the forums and sharing your wonderful coins and knowledge with us!

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2021 9:13AM

@Zoins

Thanks Zoins!

Your threads are a wonderful way to initiate sharing info!

This forum is a great place for information.

Here is my archive of sold mint errors:

https://mikebyers.com/rarecoins-archives.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Yes, I own three actually. One Levick in silver and One Levick in brass. And, the third is Hill in copper.

@LindyS said:

@coinsarefun said:

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

AWESOME!!!

Please start a thread with images ?

Or direct me to an existing thread, I would love to see three or two or one , Please ?

Lindy

@coinsarefun said:

Thanks, Yes, I own three actually. One Levick in silver and One Levick in brass. And, the third is Hill in copper.

@LindyS said:

@coinsarefun said:

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

here you go.....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067149/as-requested-by-lindys-some-of-my-levick-and-hill-smoker-weed-tokens#latest

@LindyS said:
    AWESOME!!!

Please start a thread with images ?

Or direct me to an existing thread, I would love to see three or two or one , Please ?

Lindy

@coinsarefun said:

@LindyS said:

@coinsarefun said:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file