Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2021 Discussion Thread

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Desean Jackson wants out of LA, anyone else here want to take a flyer on him? He’s not getting much use with the Rams and is only in a 1yr/4.5m deal that NE would pick up a little more than half of it. For a late round pick I’d do it.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32504513/los-angeles-rams-receiver-desean-jackson-seeking-trade-new-opportunity

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 2:54PM

Predictions for Sunday? I highly doubt Herbert and the Chargers have forgotten the 45-0 beat down last year. MHO? The Chargers score and don’t stop. I doubt we’ll see a mercy rule in play.
    The Bills and Chargers are my top plays and I’m pretty confident neither will be close.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Desean Jackson wants out of LA, anyone else here want to take a flyer on him? He’s not getting much use with the Rams and is only in a 1yr/4.5m deal that NE would pick up a little more than half of it. For a late round pick I’d do it.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32504513/los-angeles-rams-receiver-desean-jackson-seeking-trade-new-opportunity

That would be an interesting piece to this year's puzzle for sure. Quite possibly help us a lot. I'm in.

Big win against a very good team especially on a day where Mac wasn’t on point like we’ve seen. Definitely a good win to get them to 4-4 with half of the season still to go.

NE & NY knocked off some big ones with the Chargers and Bengals today.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice game by Big Mac

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

i feel we get better each week.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

No, we don’t need a boom or bust option. We got Agholar for that.

Great W yesterday, I am getting really happy about Mac Jones.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    i feel we get better each week.

I totally agree, and it is fun to watch.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I am all set with trading a draft pick for a rental on Jackson.

@craig44 said:

My initial enthusiasm about this was perhaps fueled by my "Macsanity".

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

My initial enthusiasm about this was perhaps fueled by my "Macsanity".

hahaha! I understand. I love that term. I believe I am also suffering from said infirmity.

@craig44 said:

I rate Desean Jackson about the same as Agholar. “Not dependable”

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t look now, but the Patriots are half a game behind Buffalo. True, it’s in the loss column, but they are a lot closer than I thought they would be in what is becoming a weak division.m

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Don’t look now, but the Patriots are half a game behind Buffalo. True, it’s in the loss column, but they are a lot closer than I thought they would be in what is becoming a weak division.m

They are looking good!!!

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

They are looking good!!!

BB's looking good, as usual, too...😆

edited November 10, 2021 8:42AM

This just in…..

Perkdog is calling it right now, the New England Patriots will win the AFC East Division.

I tend to agree. they are turning into a nice little ball control type offense. a good running game and mac taking care of the ball. they are just going to get better and start eating clock.

This next month and a half will be a good test to see how they fair against playoff caliber competition (Cle,Atl,Tenn,Buf x2) not to mention those two head to head games versus Buffalo should be huge toward winning the AFCE. They've also got a quick turnaround next week with the Browns on sunday then the Falcons on thursday.

the games vs Buffalo will be huge. I am so glad they were not at the beginning of the season. NE is a much better team right now.

@perkdog said:
    This just in…..

Perkdog is calling it right now, the New England Patriots will win the AFC East Division.

LETS GO!!

What are you seeing to make you so confident? Because i am more confident in them being a wild card team than the division winner. Have you lost all confidence in Buffalo?

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    This just in…..

LETS GO!!

What are you seeing to make you so confident? Because i am more confident in them being a wild card team than the division winner. Have you lost all confidence in Buffalo?

I think the D is getting better each week as well as Mac Jones getting more confidence and getting better each week.

The Bills are frauds after last week in my opinion. They have no running game and the Wr’s are lacking.

Josh Allen is a beast and I got big respect for him but he is going to burn out trying to do it all.

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    This just in…..

LETS GO!!

I think the D is getting better each week as well as Mac Jones getting more confidence and getting better each week.

The Bills are frauds after last week in my opinion. They have no running game and the Wr’s are lacking.

Josh Allen is a beast and I got big respect for him but he is going to burn out trying to do it all.

I feel great about the Patriots. I don't want to count the Bills out based on one week. My concern is that, even if you are right about them, they will be able to get up for the games against us and win them. Either way, I am excited for the season to unfold.

Sometimes, no longer living up in NE, I feel as though I miss out on a lot of the smaller stories and nuggets that goes along with following your favorite team. Here is an example......

I just noticed this. Is it being covered as a bigish story? I am referring to the Mac Jones leg twisting controversy with Panthers player Brian Burns. I just saw that Burns said some things that put a target on Jones. Any other info is appreciated.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Pats make the playoffs I'd like see them win the Super Bowl. Then we can get back to arguing if it is Brady or Bill. If the Pats beat Tampa it could really get feisty.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    If the Pats make the playoffs I'd like see them win the Super Bowl. Then we can get back to arguing if it is Brady or Bill. If the Pats beat Tampa it could really get feisty.

I cannot argue with you on this.

@thisistheshow said:
    Sometimes, no longer living up in NE, I feel as though I miss out on a lot of the smaller stories and nuggets that goes along with following your favorite team. Here is an example......

I just noticed this. Is it being covered as a bigish story? I am referring to the Mac Jones leg twisting controversy with Panthers player Brian Burns. I just saw that Burns said some things that put a target on Jones. Any other info is appreciated.

It is exactly what you read, the play in question was answered by Jones saying he actually thought Burns had recovered the ball and was trying to tackle him. If I’m Burns I’m going to accept that and realize that Jones had no idea where the ball was and that explanation was a pretty good one. Burns wanting an apology and wishing Browns players “Happy Hunting” only makes him look like a crybaby.

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    This just in…..

LETS GO!!

I feel great about the Patriots. I don't want to count the Bills out based on one week. My concern is that, even if you are right about them, they will be able to get up for the games against us and win them. Either way, I am excited for the season to unfold.

Part of this is I’m still sore after losing my bets last week and it being anchored by my Buffalo turning into the “Jill’s” against pathetic Jacksonville.

I do stand by my opinion that the Pats are getting better each week and I also believe they have a legit shot at winning the AFC East though.

Pats looking good taking advantage of Mayfield throwing into double coverage.

Offense looks good!

It’s great to finally have their original starting Oline back for once. Good start so far.

Pats are wiping the Brownies down.

We get better every week.

Like the Chargers game,this win was against a legit playoff contender with one of the best defenses in football and the Pats had their way with them all day putting up over 450 total yards on offense & 45pts.

Mac had by far his best game as a pro going 19/23 198yds 3tds w/142 passer rating. Another stat I saw was Mac's won more games so far this season than all of the other 2021 rookie QBs combined. If the Jags come back and win their game the rookie QBs total would tie Mac.

On a side note,glad to hear that Troy Hill could move his neck and other extremities. Hopefully he has a quick recovery.

This re-opens the argument about Brady vs. Belichick. The Patriots had Cam Newton at QB last year. I know that was Belichick’s choice, but it was a bandaid that slipped off the wound. This year is different.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    This re-opens the argument about Brady vs. Belichick. The Patriots had Cam Newton at QB last year. I know that was Belichick’s choice, but it was a bandaid that slipped off the wound. This year is different.

Mac is definitely benefiting from the coaching staff in New England, there is no doubting that but the Pats are 6-4. They are getting better but I’m not ready to say we got another dynasty on our hands.

Great game. Great win. I was worried about our return game without Gunner. It looked like we were ripe for a big negative play, maybe a fumble deep in our end, or something. Other than that, I don't want to nitpick because we seem to be on an upward trajectory.

I REALLY like the way Stevenson runs.

man, both the offense and defense are gaining every week so far. I can see improvement in both. I am loving the running game, and it is just a joy to watch Mac get a little better every week. The two Buffalo games will tell the story about the division.

I am not ready to get into dynasty talk for quite a while with this team, but so far, the most important single role, QB is looking good. it bodes well for the salary cap moving forward because NE will have Mac on his rookie deal for another 3 years and 4 years out his option year before we get into big free agency money.

@craig44 said:
    and it is just a joy to watch Mac get a little better every week.

So you feel it too?

I am feeling it. His decision-making is fast and confident. the most important aspect of the position.

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Mac is definitely benefiting from the coaching staff in New England, there is no doubting that but the Pats are 6-4. They are getting better but I’m not ready to say we got another dynasty on our hands.

It is way too early to be calling a nice turn around "a dynasty." There are a lot of things that can happen over time, even over this season. Just look at the Eagles and Carson Wentz.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to all of you Patriots fans here. I watched most of the game and they were really impressive!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Congrats to all of you Patriots fans here. I watched most of the game and they were really impressive!

Thanks buddy!! Your Chiefs looked good as well

@erikthredd said:
    This book looks like it might be a good read. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32294122/new-england-patriots-book-goes-secretive-controversial-franchise-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick

This book sounds like anyone with a gripe about the Pats over the last 20yrs contributed to the story. It might needs it own thread once it’s released in a few weeks lol.
    This anecdote was interesting:
    In the lead-up to Super Bowl LII against the Philadelphia Eagles, Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia traded heated words at practice over the former Super Bowl hero's lack of effort. Butler was demoted. At the team party after New England's loss, Butler responded to teammates asking why he was benched by saying, "These dudes," referring to the coaches, according to the book, "these mother f---ers."

I just started reading this new book about the Brady/Belichick era in NE, if anyone wants an ebook copy send me a PM.

I'm hearing a lot of people try to jump back on the Patriots bandwagon.

I'm also hearing the use of "Belibot" to describe Mac Jones.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

We know who the diehard Pats fans on this board are including you.
    This stretch of the season is so interesting. Teams either establish themselves as playoff contenders
    or melt down the stretch. NE has a great chance tonight to prove they are serious contenders.
    Good luck showtime and the rest of the Pats crew here! :)

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

We know who the diehard Pats fans on this board are including you.
    This stretch of the season is so interesting. Teams either establish themselves as playoff contenders
    or melt down the stretch. NE has a great chance tonight to prove they are serious contenders.
    Good luck showtime and the rest of the Pats crew here! :)

Darin your a class act.

Although I’m still recovering from my Mahomes handle 😩

@thisistheshow said:

The excitement has been renewed this year, we all expected a drought after Brady left and to think after one season we now got a rookie QB that is positively developing faster than we thought he would is awesome. We have lost some tough games, but I sincerely like our chances at the division but won’t be surprised if we have some hiccups along the way, we have had a good stretch of football recently but it’s a LONG season.

One game at a time.

Saw this posted elsewhere. :D:D:D:D:D
    @MullinaxWX
    Tonight the Falcons play the Patriots. Also tonight there is a partial lunar eclipse that will last 3 hours and 28 minutes. You can’t even make this stuff up anymore.
    The next time Earth will see a partial lunar eclipse as lengthy as tonight’s will be in 648 years.

Pats are looking as good as the Falcons are looking terrible lol

13-0 is the score but it’s not even that close, you almost feel bad for Ryan getting his clock cleaned