Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2021 Discussion Thread

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! Atlanta!

Put me in! I want to throw an Int too!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a pretty thorough beat down and it was so nice of Atlanta to give away game balls at the end of the game :D
    Now they’re 7-4 with the Titans then Bills next up on the schedule,these next two games should tell us whether this team should be considered a legit contender or not.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

They looked good last night but Atlanta was awful. HUGE games on tap for the next couple weeks that will absolutely tell us if they are legit for this season.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    They looked good last night but Atlanta was awful. HUGE games on tap for the next couple weeks that will absolutely tell us if they are legit for this season.

sports exaggeration incoming

We are standing on the precipice of something potentially great!!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 11:32AM

right now, as it stands, in week 11, New England > Tompa Bay

who woulda thunk it

i have always given Brady the lion's share of the credit for the Pats' dynasty, but i must come clean, what Belichick is doing this season with a rookie quarterback is pretty masterful

I'd say the majority of complaints about Belichick over the years have been aimed at BB the GM not BB the HC and when you look at his moves as general manager in 2021 he's absolutely crushed it. He found major contributors from the draft including his franchise QB to build around and it seems like most,if not all, of his free agent signings have already paid off.

Others may not agree with this but this current team is starting to remind me of the 2001 Pats team; Young QB that doesn't make many mistakes, solid group of passing targets, strong run game and a defense that seems to get better by the week. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they stack up against some of the better AFC contenders in the coming weeks.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t look now, but the Patriots are in first place! The rubber going to meet the road when the Pats play the Bills in Buffalo next week.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they've already played 11 games vs 10 games for most other teams, so that partially explains it, but I was surprised to see that the Patriots currently lead the league in point differential with +123.

Yes, the hate and the love are both returning.

Came across this on Instagram, its pretty crazy how similar their stats are at this point.

edited November 28, 2021 8:56PM

Among the teams I follow, the Eagles are dead, the Tampa team does not have the horses to repeat, which is very hard, and the Patriots are young and hungry. If the Patriots beat Buffalo next week, they could be a force in the play offs.

The Eagles are a team that competes once every two decades, or less. It’s the nature of the franchise. Tampa’s hopes lie with Brady’s magic. The Patriots depend on Belichick. Without him, it’s back to the bottom of the division.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Among the teams I follow, the Eagles are dead, the Tampa team does not have the horses to repeat, which is very hard, and the Patriots are young and hungry. If the Patriots beat Buffalo next week, they could be a force in the play offs.

The Eagles are a team that competes once every two decades, or less. It’s the nature of the franchise. Tampa’s hops lie with Brady’s magic. The Patriots depend on Belichick. Without him, it’s back to the bottom of the division.

I am not counting out the Bucs yet. As long as they have Brady. I'd like to see my Patriots beat the Bills twice. But I think the most important thing would be to look good in both games and, if they are to win only one, win the second one.

Ok this is like the early 2000’s again

@perkdog said:

It definitely has that feel. When Bledsoe went down in that game against the Jets I felt like our SB dreams were over. Same way I felt with Brady leaving. But the Mac Attack has put Ws back on the menu.

And of course, as yo are alluding to, the team is similar in construction and performance. It's a lot of fun. I do not want to ruin it for myself by thinking SB or bust. I want to stick with being happy seeing Mac develop and watching the team week to week. But I will definitely be disappointed if we lose both Bills games. And as I said somewhere else, I think it is most important to play well in both games and, if we are to just win one, I'd rather win the second.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB the GM has certainly crushed it this year. a franchise QB, a really good looking RB, lots of free agency contributors.

took them a month to gel, now they are rolling. next Monday will tell much more of the story.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:
    BB the GM has certainly crushed it this year. a franchise QB, a really good looking RB, lots of free agency contributors.

took them a month to gel, now they are rolling. next Monday will tell much more of the story.

Agreed. Although I am firmly in the camp that the Bills are frauds this will be a big test, Tennessee was a big win but they were seriously under strength against us yesterday.

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

It definitely has that feel. When Bledsoe went down in that game against the Jets I felt like our SB dreams were over. Same way I felt with Brady leaving. But the Mac Attack has put Ws back on the menu.

And of course, as yo are alluding to, the team is similar in construction and performance. It's a lot of fun. I do not want to ruin it for myself by thinking SB or bust. I want to stick with being happy seeing Mac develop and watching the team week to week. But I will definitely be disappointed if we lose both Bills games. And as I said somewhere else, I think it is most important to play well in both games and, if we are to just win one, I'd rather win the second.

I’m saying we more than likely split with them but the Pats still win the division

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Agreed. Although I am firmly in the camp that the Bills are frauds this will be a big test, Tennessee was a big win but they were seriously under strength against us yesterday.

Tennessee was not their best version yesterday, but I know they were up for the game. I don't remember the specifics, but I know we have struggled somewhat against the Vrabel Titans. I know Belichick wanted to reinforce his reputation. I remember the talk of Vrabel out coaching Belichick.

@2dueces said:
    The Bills brought back 10 starters on offense and replaced John Brown with Emmanuel Sanders. They beefed up their DL and brought back the rest of the starters. There is no way the game in New England is winnable for the Pats. I believe the Bills hung 38 on the Pats in Foxboro when they got rolling.

Well its been awhile since everyone's favorite Bills fans chimed in and I'd love to hear his prediction for next monday night. Considering that he's already predicted that NE can't beat Buffalo in New England that surely must mean that Buffalo can't lose at home,right? ;)

The Pats (5-0) are just one of two teams still undefeated on the road behind the Cardinals (6-0) so this should be a great game next week.

Looks like their week 15 game @ Indy got moved up from sunday afternoon to a saturday primetime game at 8:20pm.

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:
    The Bills brought back 10 starters on offense and replaced John Brown with Emmanuel Sanders. They beefed up their DL and brought back the rest of the starters. There is no way the game in New England is winnable for the Pats. I believe the Bills hung 38 on the Pats in Foxboro when they got rolling.

Well its been awhile since everyone's favorite Bills fans chimed in and I'd love to hear his prediction for next monday night. Considering that he's already predicted that NE can't beat Buffalo in New England that surely must mean that Buffalo can't lose at home,right? ;)

The Pats (5-0) are just one of two teams still undefeated on the road behind the Cardinals (6-0) so this should be a great game next week.

In all seriousness I ask, is @2dueces alright? I see that he is putting his picks in, and around, but I haven't seen him commenting.

I see a lot of talk about this Pats team being similar to the 2001 team. I might have already mentioned this, but there are also comparisons to the 2006 team that are interesting. Leading me to wonder if we will see an obviously very good Patriots team not be able to get over the hump, and as a result Belichick bringing in reinforcements to prepare the team to do epic damage across the NFL landscape (as we did in 2007).

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

In all seriousness I ask, is @2dueces alright? I see that he is putting his picks in, and around, but I haven't seen him commenting.

Could it be shock that the Post-Brady demise in NE didn't last as long as he was expecting? B);)B)

I see a lot of talk about this Pats team being similar to the 2001 team. I might have already mentioned this, but there are also comparisons to the 2006 team that are interesting. Leading me to wonder if we will see an obviously very good Patriots team not be able to get over the hump, and as a result Belichick bringing in reinforcements to prepare the team to do epic damage across the NFL landscape (as we did in 2007).

It's hard to believe that Bill could top the reinforcements that he just brought in this past offseason after his historic spending spree in free agency but who knows. We'll probably still need to draft/sign more WRs this offseason when they still don't have a legit #1 WR not to mention Agholor will have a cap hit of 16M in 2022 which he'll probably not likely see and Myers will be a RFA. They also have McCourty,Hightower,JC Jackson,James White,Slater,Trent Brown and others hitting free agency with roughly 30Mish in cap space.

This is a short ten point article by Mike Reiss that I thought was a good read if anyone is interested. It has some good nuggets as we await the main event.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4824348/kurt-warner-impressed-with-patriots-qb-mac-jones-says-rookies-ceiling-still-a-mystery

Big game tonight!!

Pats 31
    Bills 24

I got NE winning 23-21 on a late FG by Nick Folk.

edited December 6, 2021 12:45PM

A buddy of mine bet $1250 on the Bills -3

I told him he was out of his mind

@perkdog said:
    A buddy of min bet $1250 on the Bills -3

I want to see us be very competitive and prove we are for real, either way win or lose. But I don't feel that confident.

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I want to see us be very competitive and prove we are for real, either way win or lose. But I don't feel that confident.

I’m throwing it right out there and saying I’m confident. I’m feeling shades of 2000 again, I really am. I’m optimistic and feel that we got the start of something good going on, I feel we still could use a legit WR but the past few games we are showing great results with what we got.

Now my disclaimer is I’m not going to be shellshocked and cry in my Cheerio’s if the wheels come off and we miss the playoffs because as I said before I’m MORE than happy with our success but I’m pleasantly surprised at the direction this team is going in.

As always GO PATS!!!!

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I’m throwing it right out there and saying I’m confident. I’m feeling shades of 2000 again, I really am. I’m optimistic and feel that we got the start of something good going on, I feel we still could use a legit WR but the past few games we are showing great results with what we got.

Now my disclaimer is I’m not going to be shellshocked and cry in my Cheerio’s if the wheels come off and we miss the playoffs because as I said before I’m MORE than happy with our success but I’m pleasantly surprised at the direction this team is going in.

As always GO PATS!!!!

It sounds like we feel the same way. I am just not getting my hopes up, ad won't be shocked.

edited December 7, 2021 6:31AM

Here is a little advice. If you hear or read anyone say that the Bills did more to lose* last night's game than the Patriots did to win it, dismiss them as haters. I can already envision this narrative coming out of some sports pundits to make the hot take crowd salivate.

Edited to change win to lose

That being said, the Buffalo play calling was atrocious in my opinion. I do not think their fans are very happy with their OC

@thisistheshow said:
    Here is a little advice. If you hear or read anyone say that the Bills did more to lose* last night's game than the Patriots did to win it, dismiss them as haters. I can already envision this narrative coming out of some sports pundits to make the hot take crowd salivate.

Edited to change win to lose

If it had not been for the muffed punt, the Bills probably would not have scored a touchdown.

Damien Harris ruled out for tonight's game

@erikthredd said:

Do you foresee us going heavier pass attack? It wouldn't surprise me.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Do you foresee us going heavier pass attack? It wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe. Bolden was also on the weekly injury report too so who knows what the run game will look like. I don't know if it will be an issue but Mac was also dealing with a thumb injury on his left hand.

Stinks that Harris is out but I think we will be ok running the ball still. I think the Colts will be struggling to get Taylor going and I don’t stress about Wentz.

I like our chances

Wow we look flat tonight

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally tuned it out...Jones is horrible tonight.

What's with Wentz getting in a player's face when he's not even in the play??? Kinda bush league crap to me.

If we can score here we got a shot

Tough loss

edited December 18, 2021 9:56PM

I only got to see bits and pieces of the first three quarters and it looked like Indy played tough. Those two picks and a blocked punt were tough to overcome. Hopefully Bill tears them a new one this week for when Buffalo comes to town.
    Having a healthy Harris would be a huge plus too.

@erikthredd said:
    I only got to see bits and pieces of the first three quarters and it looked like Indy played tough. Those two picks and a blocked punt were tough to overcome. Hopefully Bill tears them a new one this week for when Buffalo comes to town.
    Having a healthy Harris would be a huge plus too.

That blocked punt was brutal, they really didn’t play that well either in the first half. They are committing to the running game too much sometimes and kept trying to get outside with sweeps and the Colts stuffed them. Obviously missing Harris was tough as well.

They were due for a letdown so hopefully we got it out of the way.

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Thoroughly enjoyable game, no?

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

You Pats fans are wound so tight! Kinda reminds me of a joke that my buddy used to tell:

My buddy was very much into working on his cars -- and he liked to tighten the bolts to "exact specs". When he was uncertain of how tight to secure a bolt, he would call his friend who had a reference book of automobile torque specs. When questioned, his friend would often say in jest "Torque it til it breaks, and then back off half a turn".

Pats fans: Back off half a turn!

@charliej2356 said:
    Thoroughly enjoyable game, no?

The first half was uneventful I mean they got shutout so not enjoyable at all.

They made a game of it and had a chance, when they got inside the 5 and got that penalty and settled for a FG with 8 minutes to go down by 10 I wasn’t thrilled but the Colts played well so congrats to them for the win.

The bad start set the tone for the whole night.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

terrible loss. came out flat. colts line was winning just about every snap in the first half.

they wanted it more.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

edited December 19, 2021 12:49PM

I felt good after the game. Yes, we lost, but a lot of positives happened. We got our butts kicked until it was too late. Sometimes that is necessary in a long season. But we showed a lot of fight. The defense did get it together. But not enough. They didn't get the stop after our field goal at the end. But still, they played tough. I thought Mac looked good getting us back in the game after a rough, rough couple of quarters. As usual, my main gripe is with the play calling.

By losing this game, we no longer control our own destiny in terms of the bye. Other than that, I think we come out of this one all the better.

edited for spelling

No Stevenson and both Harris & Bolden are Questionable, It would be nice to have at least one RB today in a pivotal game in regards to winning the divsion.