Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2021 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turnovers and penalties which are usually rare cost the Patriots but you already knew that.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy with Jones all things considered. But not overall with the offense. If you hold your opponent to 17, you should win. Every time.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2021 6:17PM

I’m pretty happy with his play too. My only real nitpick of Jones play was that one throw to Meyers down by his ankles that would have set them up 1st&10 around the 12-13 yard line had he hit him in stride. Get that first and we might have seen more than just a FG there.
    Other than that he hung in there pretty well against the pass rush,moved the ball on third down and even extended some plays by moving around. Brian Flores knows their offensive playbook in and out and their defense didn’t really rattle him at all.

That Harris turnover was at the worst possible time and all those penalties in third alone were brutal. Hopefully we don’t see the 3rd string RT playing major snaps next week. I think Agholor,,Smith & Henry all looked great for their first game and for the most part the O moved the ball better than I expected especially in the passing game.

I don’t have any real complaints about the defense. Maimi’s Only TD drives were the first drives of both halves and the D adjusted pretty well. I don’t know how many passes deflected they had but it seemed like there were quite a few which was a good sign for week one. Next week it’s just the Jets so hopefully we see a nice mistake free turnaround.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I’m pretty happy with his play too. My only real nitpick of Jones play was that one throw to Meyers down by his ankles that would have set them up 1st&10 around the 12-13 yard line had he hit him in stride. Get that first and we might have seen more than just a FG there.
    Other than that he hung in there pretty well against the pass rush,moved the ball on third down and even extended some plays by moving around. Brian Flores knows their offensive playbook in and out and their defense didn’t really rattle him at all.

That Harris turnover was at the worst possible time and all those penalties in third alone were brutal. Hopefully we don’t see the 3rd string RT playing major snaps next week. I think Agholor,,Smith & Henry all looked great for their first game and for the most part the O moved the ball better than I expected especially in the passing game.

I don’t have any real complaints about the defense. Maimi’s Only TD drives were the first drives of both halves and the D adjusted pretty well. I don’t know how many passes deflected they had but it seemed like there were quite a few which was a good sign for week one. Next week it’s just the Jets so hopefully we see a nice mistake free turnaround.

That throw to Meyers hurt us for sure. I'll be watching for him to get the next one right. B)

Flores knows us as you said , plus we tend to under perform against Miami generally. Those two facts make me feel good about the offense.

Letting a team come out for the second half and score is often a costly mistake. I agree that we adjusted. I'll have to go back and look, but it seems like we were giving up too many rushing yards on first downs and that that was a big factor.

And that fumble was really costly.

Overall, the game had a really nice feel to it, in my opinion.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was extremely happy with Mac Jones yesterday, he is poised and buying into the Big Bill “Patriot Way”, I say that because after his first career TD toss he threw the ball away to the ground after someone handed it to him, which I honestly didn’t like, it was a nice gesture for the player to go out of his way to get it for him. A little appreciation would have looked better but that has nothing to do with the game. Bourne will be good in open space, Myers made some plays and Agholar didn’t have too many drops so overall they looked ok but definitely needs some spit shine, I like that he got the ball to White out of the backfield. The D was good, we lost because of Harris fumble. Overall I’m happy with the team

• Options
    edited September 13, 2021 6:03AM

.> @perkdog said:

I say that because after his first career TD toss he threw the ball away to the ground after someone handed it to him, which I honestly didn’t like, it was a nice gesture for the player to go out of his way to get it for him. A little appreciation would have looked better but that has nothing to do with the game.

He didn't throw the ball to the ground, Agholor handed it to him,he handed it back,Agholor handed it right back then he gave it to Hoyer who carried it to the sideline. That ball will still likely end up in his locker regardless so I wouldn't read to much into it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    .> @perkdog said:

I say that because after his first career TD toss he threw the ball away to the ground after someone handed it to him, which I honestly didn’t like, it was a nice gesture for the player to go out of his way to get it for him. A little appreciation would have looked better but that has nothing to do with the game.

He didn't throw the ball to the ground Agholor handed it to him,he handed it back,Agholor handed it back then he gave it to Hoyer who carried it to the sideline. That ball will still likely end up in his locker regardless so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Ok I thought I saw him toss it aside, I should’ve worded it differently I didn’t mean he threw it on the ground I meant just tossed it to the side, I didn’t see the whole thing

• Options
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Anyone hear any news on Trent Brown?

I can't find any updates. Is it the same calf that kept him out last year?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    Anyone hear any news on Trent Brown?

I can't find any updates. Is it the same calf that kept him out last year?

I'm not sure.

• Options

No news on Brown that I can see

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

very pleased with Mac yesterday. very poised for first NFL start. got the ball out quickly most times. seems to be a good decision maker. had a little stronger arm than I was expecting. was able to zip a few passes.

Missing Brown after the first series hurt.

It seemed absolutely refreshing to get use out of the TE position yesterday.

they gave that game away

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    very pleased with Mac yesterday. very poised for first NFL start. got the ball out quickly most times. seems to be a good decision maker. had a little stronger arm than I was expecting. was able to zip a few passes.

He showed a big arm at Alabama. He's not Matthew Stafford or Jeff George but he's far above Chad Pennington in that regard.

I thought Jones played well. He looked poised and comfortable. He didn't look like things were moving too fast for him by any means. He wasn't perfect but he was doing what needed to be done to win. Can't help it if a guy fumbles as you're driving for the winning score.

New England fans should be very happy with what they saw yesterday from Jones.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a glimmer of hope in Patriots land, but this won’t be the year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never again Bill, We now have Caserio! ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2021 3:39AM
  • Options

I haven't seen the entire list yet but looks like Trent Brown & Kyle Van Noy are definitely out today.

• Options

I know it has only been two games, but did we get the best QB in the 2021 draft?? guy looks like a veteran already

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I know it has only been two games, but did we get the best QB in the 2021 draft?? guy looks like a veteran already

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison yet. After all, Tom Brady would have tough sledding and against the Jets and Jaguars.
    Another unfair comparison would be the Patriots lost to the Dolphins and we saw the real Dolphins today even with a couple turnovers.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@craig44 said:

I have no complaints about his play today, sure he had a fumble but it was also recovered. He’s completing passes at a 75ish% clip after two games and that was with both teams blitzing quite a bit.
    My only real worry with how they’ve played after two weeks is they gotta find someone to fill that RT spot if Brown isn’t a go. It seems like Durant and Herron have both had their own injury issues filling in and their play hasn’t been all that great. At some point it might make more sense to slide Onwenu over to RT and let Karras play RG.

• Options

@craig44 said:

This year's Pats team, as it currently sits, has issues. O-line. Run defense. And I am just going to say it..... I still worry about our play calling. But yes, we got the best QB in the draft. At least it feels that way. (Time will tell, of course, but there should be no regrets about picking Jones) I don't feel very good about this year's squad for some reason, but I am looking forward to the journey ahead.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 7:29PM

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

This year's Pats team, as it currently sits, has issues. O-line. Run defense. And I am just going to say it..... I still worry about our play calling. But yes, we got the best QB in the draft. At least it feels that way. (Time will tell, of course, but there should be no regrets about picking Jones) I don't feel very good about this year's squad for some reason, but I am looking forward to the journey ahead.

I think once they decided to go with a rookie QB as starter this season became all about developing him on the fly and seeing where that takes them. At that point if it’s still a losing record then so be it, at least the team chose a direction instead of sitting idle with Cam.
    The one thing that has surprised me the most has been how well he’s connecting with literally everyone in the passing offense.
    It would be great to see McD take the training wheels off a bit so he could look downfield more but they really need to straighten out their OL first,imo.

• Options

I am more optimistic about this years squad. if they can get Brown back sooner than later that will be a huge boost to the OL.

similarly, when Gilmour returns it will reshape this defense. a lock down CB is a huge asset. it frees up safety help to the other side and they will be able to blitz more.

I am alright with McD keeping the training wheels on a bit longer. play possession football and let Mac continue to get acclimated to the speed/complexity of the pro game.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I am more optimistic about this years squad. if they can get Brown back sooner than later that will be a huge boost to the OL.

similarly, when Gilmour returns it will reshape this defense. a lock down CB is a huge asset. it frees up safety help to the other side and they will be able to blitz more.

I am alright with McD keeping the training wheels on a bit longer. play possession football and let Mac continue to get acclimated to the speed/complexity of the pro game.

I agree that shoring up the O-line will go a long way, including really opening up the offense, but I don't feel confident that that will actually happen. Brown had injury issues last year. I hope he is able to be available weekly. I am concerned with our run defense. I feel as though that is our Achilles heel. It looks a though you can run up the middle on us. I do see your point about Gilmour, and he would help. As for McDaniels, I have n problem with being conservative with Jones, I actually am just skeptical of him the sme way I have been for years. But overall, I like what I see. I am really enjoying the season.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I agree that shoring up the O-line will go a long way, including really opening up the offense, but I don't feel confident that that will actually happen. Brown had injury issues last year. I hope he is able to be available weekly. I am concerned with our run defense. I feel as though that is our Achilles heel. It looks a though you can run up the middle on us. I do see your point about Gilmour, and he would help. As for McDaniels, I have n problem with being conservative with Jones, I actually am just skeptical of him the sme way I have been for years. But overall, I like what I see. I am really enjoying the season.

I agree. the shine came of McD years ago for me. sometimes I am sitting there just scratching my head. I have also really enjoyed this season so far. last year was such a stinker for me. I felt like with Cam, we were in a holding pattern with no real direction for the future. this year, I love to watch the progression week after week. I just hope Mac can continue the upward swing and continue to build confidence.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭

I will wait out the NFL package until next year when I will have 2 teams to follow as the Pats are not that good yet. I will still have enough games to watch for free between the Buks and Pats this year to keep me going.

• Options

I did not watch the Manning brothers version of MNF last night, but I saw and read about the Patriots talk. I've seen Peyton joke publicly with Brady before about deflated balls. But I feel like going that far against the team with spying jokes was kind of unexpected,

• Options

I like what I’m seeing from Jones but I want them to be confident throwing the ball deeper downfield. If they get down I don’t trust that they can score fast enough. The short passing game and clock rating drives are great but not when you need to come from behind. Work in progress

• Options

This was the year which decide the question, was it Brady or Belichick? It’s more and more like Brady. This Patriots team looks pathetic against New Orleans. Beating up the Jets doesn’t count.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Blah performance, actually a very crappy game all around

• Options

We are not good enough to make the little mistakes. Too many penalties. That means the coaching and discipline needs to improve.

Our O line is suspect. Does one injury mean we can't protect?

In all honesty our defense has played well. But when we needed them today, after holding the Saints on a bunch of drives in a row, they caved. I felt like I was looking at a Patricia ( bend and sometimes break) defense. I'm just going to come out and say that I was never behind our big names opting out last year. And this year they are playing like they've been out of football. That year off can really cost you in terms of performance.

There were some big drops, through the hands, what have you, by one of our highly paid new additions.

And special teams was nothing to write home about.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 4:46AM

I am starting to think that Belichick might be like Tom Landry was at the end, over the hill as a coach. His offense plays as if they are wearing lead shoes and can't get off the dime. His special team play is spotty and error prone. When your offense is characterized by three outs, the defense is going to break down eventually. Who knows? This might be his last year. It would certainly be better than going out with a disaster like Landry did.

• Options

I’m not going to pile on
    But spending a ton of money in free agency doesn’t necessarily end up with wins. If it was the way everyone would.
    I warned Patriots fans preseason and I was always shown the line up of new and returning players.
    It’s still way too early and I’m sure they will look much different 6-8 weeks from now. As for BB it better or Mr Kraft will wonder if they should have kept Brady and traded BB.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I think it is time we get Dante out of retirement and coach up that O-line.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 2:06PM

As for BB it better or Mr Kraft will wonder if they should have kept Brady and traded BB.

imagining that probably makes Patriot fans' heads explode.

imagine it, if you will. Bill Belichick as Head Coach of another Team, Tom Brady playing for Tampa Bay and then the New England Patriots. that would be a daunting choice for the faithful every Sunday. who to cheer for?? who to support?? :p

• Options

Like with every team, we are 3 games in to a 17 game schedule. it is still early. after 3-4 more games, a more true picture of what each team really is will come into view.

and as with every season, injuries will happen to every team.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 7:00AM

I’m not worried about one all around horrible game from this team. They’re rolling out a rookie QB and a fairly new roster and the team as a whole played like crap. Same could be said of both of TB & KC yesterday, Buffalo has also looked just as bad at home in a Steelers loss and Cleveland blew a huge lead vs KC recently.

I also love how the peanut gallery acts like all of us Pats fans just sit around wishing we still had Brady and that any comment left here will get us all triggered. LoL. I’m glad Tom left because if he hadn’t he’d only have 6 SB rings right now. As long as he’s in the NFL I’m rooting for the guy to win regardless of which jersey he has on.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Like with every team, we are 3 games in to a 17 game schedule. it is still early. after 3-4 more games, a more true picture of what each team really is will come into view.

and as with every season, injuries will happen to every team.

These guys lol. Looks like someone forgot to close the balcony...

:D:D:D

• Options

I agree, after last season, I am glad Tom left as well. he would have been worlds better than Cam, but they didnt have enough horsepower to make it to the last game. i will always root for tom. just like if BB left for another team, I would root for him as well.

while I do give brady more praise for the dynasty, I am a BB fan as well.

• Options

Jonnu Smith was terrible. Three drops. One led to a pick 6. And a few of the play calls were really questionable. I long ago quit the Josh McDaniels fan club.

And i want to say again that Bolden and Hightower played like guys who have been out of the league for a year. I was never supportive of them opting out. If you are rich enough, just retire if you are seriously too scared to play. I know that won't necessarily be a popular opinion, but it is mine. That whole situation really bothered me. I saw the majority of Patriots fans supporting these guys and the others. But I just could not understand why.

• Options

Living in Tampa, having Tom come down here was a god sent. The truth was Tom had no one, except Edelman, to throw to in his last New England season. If they didn't address that, he would not have made a difference. He came to Tampa with a corp of great receivers who needed a quarterback. That's one of the reasons why it worked out for him.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options

Detroit just released former Pats LB Jamie Collins after not finding a taker willing to trade for his fully guaranteed 8.8M for this season. BB should try bringing him back on the cheap while the Lions keep paying him. He’s been pretty solid in a NE jersey but he’s left multiple times for more money.

• Options

Yea I’d like to grab Collins but understand he is “Me first” player, which I’m fine with btw as long as he is a stud LB.

• Options

why not bring him back on the cheap? would be Vet minimum right?

• Options

This book sounds like anyone with a gripe about the Pats over the last 20yrs contributed to the story. It might needs it own thread once it’s released in a few weeks lol.
    This anecdote was interesting:
    In the lead-up to Super Bowl LII against the Philadelphia Eagles, Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia traded heated words at practice over the former Super Bowl hero's lack of effort. Butler was demoted. At the team party after New England's loss, Butler responded to teammates asking why he was benched by saying, "These dudes," referring to the coaches, according to the book, "these mother f---ers."

• Options

looks like one i will be reading for sure

• Options
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    James White done for the season. :(

That’s a tough hit. He was the best option for Jones out of the backfield.