Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2021 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer they kept White. I like Burkhead, but he seems to be made of glass

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Has anyone heard anything new on James White or Rex Burkhead? I did read that TB was interested in White but not much else. I’d like to see both return but just one at the very least to have someone that catch the ball out of the backfield.

Haven’t heard a thing but it wouldn’t suprise me if White ends up in Tampa

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few more transactions:
    Signed former GB DT Montravius Adams to a one yr 2.5m deal
    Re-signed K Nick Folk on 1yr/1.6m deal
    Traded TE Ryan Izzo to the Texans for a late 2022 pick

• Options

yes, no more Izzo!!!!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    yes, no more Izzo!!!!

Agreed!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Away to the izzo !

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to hand it to the Patriots they have spent some money. Love your passion for your team but still a glaring hole at QB.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

It isnt a glaring hole, it is a humongous giant black hole that has enough gravity to suck the whole team in.
    its terrible to have a great team on paper and have a jag as your starting QB.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Got to hand it to the Patriots they have spent some money. Love your passion for your team but still a glaring hole at QB.

As I've been saying, don't count us out just yet. We'll be back.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2021 10:22AM

James White is coming back on a one year deal.

Edit: NFL also admitted that they originally screwed up when handing out compensatory picks to NE a few weeks back and just gave them another 5th rounder (to go with a 3rd & 4th.)

• Options

glad JW is back. I will take as many draft picks as they will give us!!

• Options

Malcolm Butler going to the Cardinals on a one year deal.

• Options

Pats re-sign C David Andrews and FB Jakob Johnson.

• Options

Reports have BB still hoping for a Jimmy G reunion. Also looks like WR NKeal Harry is on the trade block. A couple other moves:
    Re-signed DT Lawrence Guy to 4yr deal.
    Signed ST LaRoy Reynolds

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever Belichick is doing, he sure isn't getting much love from the bookies.

I looked at one bookie website. Unless they haven't updated it recently, the Patriots are 30-1 to win the Super Bowl which is only around the middle of the pack.

• Options

The San Francisco moves paves the way for a Garoppolo Patriots reunion.

• Options

He’s due 26m & 27m over the next two seasons,if BB can get SF to trade him back here I can see them reworking his deal and adding on a year or two. Would he cost more than what Indy gave up for Wentz,a 3rd this year and a 2nd next?

• Options

I don't think the cost would be more than that. It seems as though we should maybe get him for less. I don't know. 🤷

• Options

That would be even better,I just threw Wentz out there because they’re about the same age and both have had an injury history.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy G signs with the Patriots next year after Justin Fields sits behind him for a year. BB gets his man, next year.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Pats decline Sony Michel’s 5th year option and pick up Isaiah Wynn’s.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    last year was the least amount of interest in NE I have had in years. and you are right, BB was a big part of that. I have muddled through bad seasons before (1-15) but it is different if you feel like the GM is not giving it his all.

I certainly did watch every game, and will do so again this year.

it will be very strange when BB and Tommy go against each other this season. I am hoping for a Patriots victory where tom throws for 500 yards and 6 TDs. then I can be happy all the way around!!!

I don't feel the same way. I will not be happy until Brady retires then I will be for the Patriots again but not before. I want to see Brady win 2 more superbowls just to show BB what an a$$ he is.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Pats decline Sony Michel’s 5th year option and pick up Isaiah Wynn’s.

We knew Michel wasn’t in their plans

• Options

Pats re-signed Brad Hoyer to make it four QBs on the roster with Cam,Jones & Stidham. They also signed two offensive linemen for depth,James Ferentz & Alex Redmond.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Pats re-signed Brad Hoyer to make it four QBs on the roster with Cam,Jones & Stidham. They also signed two offensive linemen for depth,James Ferentz & Alex Redmond.

Who's Brad? Brian's brother? J/K.. 😂

Anyway, why are they bringing him in? Maybe to be a backup and mentor to Jones, with Cam potentially gone? Or atleast gone after this season for sure.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2021 8:25AM

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Who's Brad? Brian's brother? J/K.. 😂

Anyway, why are they bringing him in? Maybe to be a backup and mentor to Jones, with Cam potentially gone? Or atleast gone after this season for sure.

I can’t even blame that one on spellcheck lol. I only saw a headline that they were re-signing him but this writer thinks that adding him to their QB room would be a positive in Mac Jones development that I tend to agree with.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/why-brian-hoyers-patriots-addition-132729530.html

Over the weekend I read that NE has roughly 15M available in cap space but I’m not sure if that was before/after the rookies signings. You gotta think BB isn’t done adding to this team yet. He had veteran CB Dre Kirkpatrick in for a workout recently too.

• Options

Stidham will be the odd man out in my opinion

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Stidham will be the odd man out in my opinion

This makes sense. If Hoyer is there for Jones, and Cam is just there, Stidham should be out. Any theoretical upside would be outweighed by keeping him, imo. We'll see...

• Options

You can expect the Patriots to suck for a few years. They screwed the pooch when they would not run the team the way Brady wanted and went with what BB wanted. Bucs coach knew what he was doing and reaped the rewards so you decide who is the smarter of the 2 coaches and the is the most arrogant one, Me, I'm watching the Bucks again this year and I have watched the Patriots since my high school friend Butch Songin was the quarterback.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    You can expect the Patriots to suck for a few years. They screwed the pooch when they would not run the team the way Brady wanted and went with what BB wanted. Bucs coach knew what he was doing and reaped the rewards so you decide who is the smarter of the 2 coaches and the is the most arrogant one, Me, I'm watching the Bucks again this year and I have watched the Patriots since my high school friend Butch Songin was the quarterback.

Brady was smart to leave, even if he didn’t win the super bowl he was able to be way more competitive than he would have with the scrap heap Big Bill gave him to work with

• Options

Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

I've told you this before, but it's great that you knew Butch. He was the first Patriots QB. Amazing stuff!

• Options

We both went to Walpole high school. He was a couple of years ahead of me and lived a couple of streets over from me.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    We both went to Walpole high school. He was a couple of years ahead of me and lived a couple of streets over from me.

Thanks for replying! Like I said, I love that story. Legendary stuff, especially to a Patriots fan like me ( and so many others here).

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

As Eric alluded to in another thread, I definitely see an avatar bet coming for this game.

It would give me great pleasure to see Belichick avatars for a week, for some Patriots fans in this forum who never fully appreciated the GOAT NFL head coach.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

As Eric alluded to in another thread, I definitely see an avatar bet coming for this game.

It would give me great pleasure to see Belichick avatars for a week, for some Patriots fans in this forum who never fully appreciated the GOAT NFL head coach.

Coincidentally , I am a Patriots fan and my name is also Eric. But my avatar is just a purple box, ,,, B)

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

Coincidentally , I am a Patriots fan and my name is also Eric. But my avatar is just a purple box, ,,, B)

I don't gamble money on sports, but if Perkdog offered me a house for house bet, and gave me the Patriots +21 points in that game, I'd at least have to consider taking that mortal lock bet.

We could include car for car, card collection for card collection, everything else, etc.

But I'm a nice guy, after I easily win the bet and receive the deed to his house, title to his car, entire card collection, etc, i'd let Perk keep one of his Brady rookie cards as a memento. 😉

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

I don't gamble money on sports, but if Perkdog offered me a house for house bet, and gave me the Patriots +21 points in that game, I'd at least have to consider taking that mortal lock bet.

We could include car for car, card collection for card collection, everything else, etc.

But I'm a nice guy, after I easily win the bet and receive the deed to his house, title to his car, entire card collection, etc, i'd let Perk keep one of his Brady rookie cards as a memento. 😉

😂😂😂I like your style Steve! But hey I’m not trying to hope Brady beats the Pats I’m just stating what I think is going to take place. I am a Pats fan first and Brady second, but I’m telling you he will pour it on to shove it in Bills face if he can. Belichick would do the same thing.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

😂😂😂I like your style Steve! But hey I’m not trying to hope Brady beats the Pats I’m just stating what I think is going to take place. I am a Pats fan first and Brady second, but I’m telling you he will pour it on to shove it in Bills face if he can. Belichick would do the same thing.

And with rookie Mac Jones having what i've read is a great camp, and perhaps starting that game against the Bucs, it adds even more intrigue to it.

i still think Belichick finds a way to win that game, and I'm willing to bet a week's CU avatar on it. :)

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

And with rookie Mac Jones having what i've read is a great camp, and perhaps starting that game against the Bucs, it adds even more intrigue to it.

i still think Belichick finds a way to win that game, and I'm willing to bet a week's CU avatar on it. :)

Uhhk I would never root against the Pats but I’m so confident that Brady will dismantle the Pats I will take your bet. My terms will be a Patriots logo for you if I win vs whichever logo you want me to use if you win. We shaking on it?

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 4:39PM

Seeing one team blow out the other wouldn’t really be any fun so I’d rather see Pats up four, 90 seconds left in the 4th, Brady has 1st & 10 from the Bucs 10yd line and one timeout. This game will get Super Bowl worthy attention so let it live up to the hype and come down to the final drive.

I want to see NE win every game they play but if Brady finishes off one last game winning drive at Gillette stadium, I’m ok with that.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

Uhhk I would never root against the Pats but I’m so confident that Brady will dismantle the Pats I will take your bet. My terms will be a Patriots logo for you if I win vs whichever logo you want me to use if you win. We shaking on it?

Agreed.

Actually it's good to get the bet in now because after the Bucs lose that game, my plan is to have a smiling pic of Bill Belichick waiting for ya, to be used as your avatar until kickoff of the next Patriots game. And finding a pic of Belichick smiling might take me until October to find one. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Oh btw Bucs 38-17 week 4

Agreed.

Actually it's good to get the bet in now because after the Bucs lose that game, my plan is to have a smiling pic of Bill Belichick waiting for ya, to be used as your avatar until kickoff of the next Patriots game. And finding a pic of Belichick smiling might take me until October to find one. LOL

Hahaha ok we are on 🤝

• Options

Here’s a head scratching move from BB:
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/20/tyler-gaffney-returning-to-football-signing-with-patriots/

In 2018, Tyler Gaffney retired from football to go chase a baseball dream. Almost exactly three years later, Gaffney is returning to football.

The running back is signing with the Patriots, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

Add Gaffney to Harris,Michel,White,Bolden, JJ Taylor, the kid they just drafted Stevenson and two Fullbacks.

BB also just signed Giants free agent safety Adrian Colbert and another long snapper.

• Options

I couldn't remember his full story. Just did some reading. I wouldn't expect him to make the team, but you never know. Injuries have hurt him in the past.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2021 7:47AM
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Superstar WR Wants to Play With Cam Newton: Report
    https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/julio-jones-trade-cam-newton/

I love it but find it hard to believe he wants to play with Cam though. I think it’s lip service to get into New England maybe, either way I’d love to have Julio in a Pats uniform!

• Options

@erikthredd said:

This move makes a little more sense now. BB might as well get what he can for Stidham.
    https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/jarrett-stidham-trade-qb-deshaun-watson/

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Superstar WR Wants to Play With Cam Newton: Report
    https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/julio-jones-trade-cam-newton/

I love it but find it hard to believe he wants to play with Cam though. I think it’s lip service to get into New England maybe, either way I’d love to have Julio in a Pats uniform!

I would too. Atlanta couldn’t move him until June 1st for contract reasons so we should know soon where he ends up. Bill is still sitting on a decent chunk of cap space right now too,hopefully it’s related.

• Options