Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2021 Discussion Thread

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gronk not coming to Foxboro tonight. Apparently he has multiple fractured ribs

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Gronk not coming to Foxboro tonight. Apparently he has multiple fractured ribs

That’s probably for the best, the Bucs don’t want Belichick greeting Gronk pre-game with one of his Roger Goodell-sized bear hugs and fracturing a couple more. ;)
    Oh who are we kidding,Bill would probably try stabbing him in the back for coming out of retirement then forcing a trade to TB . >:)

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is such a shame for White and the team.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like it

Collins is a beast, hope this deal gets done

I understand what Collins is, and I am willing to take him on for sure. He likes to freelance, but he is a monster out there.

Patriots just cut Gilmore. move will give them 5.8 MM of cap space.

I am glad they are not going to extend an injured 31 year old CB. I love what he brought to the team, but i would rather cut ties a year too early than a year too late when signing bonuses and guaranteed money is involved.

same idea when they let Seymour go years ago. although he wasnt as old as Gilmore is now

this makes me wonder if TB is currently on the phone with Gilmore telling him how nice the weather is down in Tampa...

@craig44 said:
    Patriots just cut Gilmore. move will give them 5.8 MM of cap space.

I am glad they are not going to extend an injured 31 year old CB. I love what he brought to the team, but i would rather cut ties a year too early than a year too late when signing bonuses and guaranteed money is involved.

same idea when they let Seymour go years ago. although he wasnt as old as Gilmore is now

Bummer, I was kind of looking forward to what this defense looked like when Gilmore came back especially if they were to add Collins too. Hopefully Collins doesn't account for all of the 5.8M and Bill can go looking for preferably another right tackle and/or wide receiver.

edited October 6, 2021 9:26AM

@craig44 said:
    this makes me wonder if TB is currently on the phone with Gilmore telling him how nice the weather is down in Tampa...

If he can convince Gimore to sign there, that's going to be a pretty nasty secondary once they get healthy. Something tells me that Gilmore is going to go looking for the money though between this "holdout" and now losing a large chunk of his salary.

@craig44 said:

Unless Mahomes beats him to it first

BB ended up getting a 6th round pick for Gilmore which is better than nothing. I did find this a bit amusing considering that this is pretty much the exact opposite of everything that came out about him over this past offseason. If he was so open to playing out his final year of his contract and going into free agency then why all of the drama with his holdout/"injury"?
    Gilmore and the Panthers are both open to him playing out the final year of his contract, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. The sides could discuss an extension, but the Panthers expect Gilmore to reach free agency, which the cornerback would embrace.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32348731/new-england-patriots-trade-cb-stephon-gilmore-carolina-panthers

edited October 7, 2021 3:15AM

Honestly I think it’s embarrassing that they even bother with 6th round picks. Anything higher than a 4th then it’s a give away. Unless it helps with cap and orca salary dump

@perkdog said:
    Honestly I think it’s embarrassing that they even bother with 6th round picks. Anything higher than a 4th then it’s a give away. Unless it helps with cap and orca salary dump

except for that one 6th round pick, back in 2000...

I agree though that 96% of 6th rounders will never make it past year 1

I'm happy Gilmore is gone. He wasn't too hurt to play. He was essentially holding out. I usually don't like guys holding out, especially not ones making so much money. And I will never get over the Covid holdouts. Yes, I have mentioned this before, but it is worth mentioning again in my opinion.

edited October 7, 2021 8:53AM

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

except for that one 6th round pick, back in 2000...

I agree though that 96% of 6th rounders will never make it past year 1

Bill has found quite a few diamonds in the rough in those late rounds (6/7).
    Studs: Tom Brady, Julian Edelman
    Former AllPro: Nate Ebner
    Solid starters: Michael Onwenu, Elandon Roberts, Dan Stevenson, Matt Cassel,Tully Banta-Cain, David Givens

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm happy Gilmore is gone. He wasn't too hurt to play. He was essentially holding out. I usually don't like guys holding out, especially not ones making so much money. And I will never get over the Covid holdouts. Yes, I have mentioned this before, but it is worth mentioning again in my opinion.

As I just mentioned in the Gilmore thread, I am seeing new info (new to me at least) that the Patriots wanted him to take a pay cut this year. Is that true? While I don't like him holding out, I don't support him taking a pay cut either.

edited October 7, 2021 9:45AM

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

As I just mentioned in the Gilmore thread, I am seeing new info (new to me at least) that the Patriots wanted him to take a pay cut this year. Is that true? While I don't like him holding out, I don't support him taking a pay cut either.

I don't think they were asking him to take a pay cut. IIRC after he won DPOY they advanced 5M of his 2021-22 salary as sort of a guaranteed bonus but it left him making roughly around 7Mish for this season after making close to twice that in previous seasons. Again,IIRC he wanted a new deal and the team wouldn't give him it so we ended up where we are now. This is he cost of doing business with a guy who won DPOY and then thought he wasn'y getting paid like one not too long after. Like Perk said he helped them win a SB and I wish him the best in Carolina.

I wish him the best, but...

did we really want to extend a CB for the big money he is sure to want who will be 32 in the first year of the new deal??

generally, CBs dont age well. he is only 2 years younger than richard sherman is now.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't think they were asking him to take a pay cut. IIRC after he won DPOY they advanced 5M of his 2021-22 salary as sort of a guaranteed bonus but it left him making roughly around 7Mish for this season after making close to twice that in previous seasons. Again,IIRC he wanted a new deal and the team wouldn't give him it so we ended up where we are now. This is he cost of doing business with a guy who won DPOY and then thought he wasn'y getting paid like one not too long after. Like Perk said he helped them win a SB and I wish him the best in Carolina.

Supposedly they wanted him to restructure. I don't know. Either way, in my opinion he is not worth a new contract.

@craig44 said:
    did we really want to extend a CB for the big money he is sure to want who will be 32 in the first year of the new deal??

They didn't and that's why he's now a Panther. I would have been ok had he come back and played out his final year of his contract. He may not play at a DPOY level but he's still a really good CB that could have made a very solid pass defense even better. I just don't get his motives to holdout here then after he gets traded to CAR says he's ok with playing out his final year then head into free agency. It would make more sense playing this year in a system he's familiar with rather than head somewhere new and start over a quarter of the way into the season,especially if he's looking to get paid top dollar this offseason.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

Supposedly they wanted him to restructure. I don't know. Either way, in my opinion he is not worth a new contract.

I would have been fine with giving him an extension just not at top of the market money. He's still a very good CB that sort of became the scapegoat for a defense last season that wasn't very good due to cap restraints and covid sitouts.

Why do I think this Sunday’s game will not be a cakewalk like the spread of Pats -9 predicts?

i think the issue is that Gilmore will not play for anything less than top of the market money

@perkdog said:
    Why do I think this Sunday’s game will not be a cakewalk like the spread of Pats -9 predicts?

No matter who this Patriots team is playing, I will probably not be overly confident. We just haven't seen enough from them to warrant that kind of spread, in my opinion.

Jesus...no Shaq Mason, Michael Onwenu, Isaiah Wynn or Trent Brown on the OL today.

edited October 10, 2021 10:41AM

@erikthredd said:
    Jesus...no Shaq Mason, Michael Onwenu, Isaiah Wynn or Trent Brown on the OL today.

Yea that’s a disturbing amount of inactives

Harris is going to fumble himself out of a job like Ridley did years ago

@perkdog said:

Whose gonna take over, Brandon Bolden lol? White is down for the year,Taylor is inactive and after Stevenson fumbled on his only carry of this season before today he couldn’t even make it to BB’s doghouse he just went completely MIA for a month lol.

Good comeback by the Pats and I unfortunately missed most of it. :#
    I joked about Bolden above but he had a couple key plays on that last drive, hopefully that Harris rib injury isn’t too serious.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Whose gonna take over, Brandon Bolden lol? White is down for the year,Taylor is inactive and after Stevenson fumbled on his only carry of this season before today he couldn’t even make it to BB’s doghouse he just went completely MIA for a month lol.

Well they could sign Gurley but we know Big Bill won’t do that because he has a popular name.

edited October 10, 2021 2:03PM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Well they could sign Gurley but we know Big Bill won’t do that because he has a popular name.

I’d be curious to see how much cap space they have left and if there’s enough to go get a RB like Gurley. I know they had roughly 6M after the Gilmore trade but I couldn’t find how much Jamie Collins was signed for. Gurley played last season at 5.5M and something tells me he wouldn’t be open to a vet minimum type deal even though he’s currently unemployed.

I agree that we need a back. We are depleted. I enjoyed the comeback. Yes, things started ugly. But our defense got the stops it needed and we got the throws we needed. I'd like to see Jones put a little more air on his throws. That last TD pass looked like it could have been intercepted or deflected based on the placement. Bur our backup O linemen played well. And Folk was amazing.

As Patriots fans, our lives have changed. It's a week to week season, trying to get Ws and get into the playoffs. It used to be just wait for the playoffs and SB or bust.

Let’s be real here, the offense is going nowhere unless we address the WR position. The Two TE set with solid running backs is not really goi g to get it done in today’s NFL. We need speed and route running WR’s. I feel the D can be better and Jones will get better as well but it’s not enough to win without solid WR play

fun comeback today. hope the injury to harris isn't too serious because that Rb room is pretty thin.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the Bills beating a back up QB talk when out the window.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

These are the new New England Patriots. Every victory is worth savoring.

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

I agree. A win is a win and I needed the Patriots to cover -2 for a teaser. Not often do I find myself rooting for BB.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Why can't we play the Jets every week?

Had the Patriots again this week. Jets are a dumpster fire.

W.C.Fields

this sure was a fun game to watch. Seymour got inducted into the Patriots hall as well. glad BB kept the pedal down all game.

edited October 25, 2021 3:09AM

Well that was a fun practice yesterday lol

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Yes, it’s like the old days when a .500 season was thought to be a good one. I moved to Boston in 1980 and got to see those years when they won fives games or less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

This season is all about enjoying the little things forgotten when you are a dynasty. Yesterday, we started as an under .500 team that might not make the playoffs. And we ended the same way.

But all of that is easily forgotten when you are able to truly soak in and appreciate the sweet elixir known as crushing the JETS

I realize we are not a SB team this season. but I am having so much fun watching Mac develop every week. after watching both play yesterday back to back, he looks SO much more advanced than Justin Fields at this point. His decision making is worlds better. I think it was Boomer yesterday at halftime that said Fields does not know how to read a defense at this point.

.> @craig44 said:

but I am having so much fun watching Mac develop every week.

>

I just read an instagram post about his play over ther last 4 games:
    73% completion percentage
    1042 passing yards
    7 tds
    3 ints
    105 passer rating

And one doinked kick away from 3-1

@erikthredd said:
    .> @craig44 said:

but I am having so much fun watching Mac develop every week.

>

I just read an instagram post about his play over ther last 4 games:
    73% completion percentage
    1042 passing yards
    7 tds
    3 ints
    105 passer rating

And one doinked kick away from 3-1

I know, right! and one red zone fumble from beating the dolphins.

@perkdog Check your mail

W.C.Fields