Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

Comments

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 5:33PM

@handyman said:
    Sorry to hear!! Maybe sheet cut? Did the edges look flat?

I don’t recall; what would I even look for?

In fairness to PSA, it looks as though they only charged me for the Aaron, so THANK YOU PSA, I really appreciate that!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Seriously how would you even trim a ‘71? What’s the evidence? The card looks too good to be authentic?

finger test & all 4 edge colors equal colored?

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 5:40PM

Check edges of obvious from the pack cards like Ex grade. For comparison. They are not smooth and have an obvious look under a loop. Sheet cut cards are the right size but the edges are smooth and flat typically. or even laser cut. Do not jsut look at the size but also the edges before submitting. Its hard to learn and its not always the entire edge. It can even be as small as a MM of trimming on one corners edge.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Rofles said:
    Seriously how would you even trim a ‘71? What’s the evidence? The card looks too good to be authentic?

I’ll check when it comes back. If I may ask, what’s the finger test?

• Options

@handyman said:
    Check edges of obvious from the pack cards like Ex grade. For comparison. They are not smooth and have an obvious look under a loop. Sheet cut cards are the right size but the edges are smooth and flat typically. or even laser cut. Do not jsut look at the size but also the edges before submitting. Its hard to learn and its not always the entire edge. It can even be as small as a MM of trimming on one corners edge.

Good to know, thank you for the tips!

• Options

@Rofles said:

@blurryface said:

@Rofles said:

I’ll check when it comes back. If I may ask, what’s the finger test?

takes a little getting used to. its using the sense of feel vs eyes. take a card you know is not trimmed. close your eyes and rub your finger along the edges. repeatedly. then take a common card, trim it w scissors or paper cutter or what have you. cut an edge. close your eyes, and rub your finger along the edge. repeatedly. then go back and forth alternating between trimmed & factory edges. at a certain point you will be able to notice a distinct difference.

once up you get the feel. take about 30 or so commons. trim 5 and shuffle them and test yourself. hopefully i explained it clearly. like any other methods, its not 100% fool proof. there are ways trimmers can alter the super smooth like feel but for the avg trimmed card this trick certainly helps.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 6:59PM

Rofles, those cards are fine. They came from a massive hoard from Lelands. Some '71s measure short so you have to be careful. Measure them up before sending them off. '71 vending is especially notorious for being cut short. Also, I had a '71 Catfish Hunter come back as N1 even though I pulled it from a rack pack a few months before submitting it. I resubbed it later and got a 7.5. If the card measures up to full size or very close to full size, resubmit it when lower price tiers open back up. If it swims around when you place it on top of a known full size card, then don't resub it. It's really a min size reject. Too bad PSA went with N1. Otherwise you would get your grading fees back.

Edited to add - I just saw where you said they didn't charge you for it. Great!

• Options

@gemint said:
    Rofles, those cards are fine. They came from a massive hoard from Lelands. Some '71s measure short so you have to be careful. Measure them up before sending them off. '71 vending is especially notorious for being cut short. Also, I had a '71 Catfish Hunter come back as N1 even though I pulled it from a rack pack a few months before submitting it. I resubbed it later and got a 7.5. If the card measures up to full size or very close to full size, resubmit it when lower price tiers open back up. If it swims around when you place it on top of a known full size card, then don't resub it. It's really a min size reject. Too bad PSA went with N1. Otherwise you would get your grading fees back.

Edited to add - I just saw where you said they didn't charge you for it. Great!

this is very true. regarding the vending and a good bit of pack pulls. weve discussed and you know i love your subbing style. may want to tweak it just a tad to ensure that juice is worth the squeeze as far as factory shorts. may be worth a phone call to psa bc the wrong designation makes all the difference in the world. trimmed equals paying for sub. factory miscut doesnt. or at least that's the way it was.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    In fairness to PSA, it looks as though they only charged me for the Aaron, so THANK YOU PSA, I really appreciate that!

I would check that again because that has never been the case for N1 cards.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@Rofles said:

I would check that again because that has never been the case for N1 cards.

Sigh. You’re right. They sent an invoice right after the “your grades are ready email, only for LAST months submission. I got billed the full amount.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    this is very true. regarding the vending and a good bit of pack pulls. weve discussed and you know i love your subbing style. may want to tweak it just a tad to ensure that juice is worth the squeeze as far as factory shorts. may be worth a phone call to psa bc the wrong designation makes all the difference in the world. trimmed equals paying for sub. factory miscut doesnt. or at least that's the way it was.

Thank you my good sir, means a lot! I will definitely tweak my subs going forward; I can’t afford N1’s. I’m gonna email PSA and see if I can get some answers. I’m not expecting any bc I know they’re tight-lipped about that, but that’s ok. Plus, my Aaron got a 9! Can’t wait to get that back!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Arrived: 09/30/20
    Entered: 11/04/20

currently in Assembly...going on 3 weeks.

Modern sub.

This will be my first PSA sub to officially reach one year in their inventory....and 27 remaining (with over half still in Research phase).

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:
    Arrived: 09/30/20
    Entered: 11/04/20

currently in Assembly...going on 3 weeks.

Modern sub.

This will be my first PSA sub to officially reach one year in their inventory....and 27 remaining (with over half still in Research phase).

Wow. Who would have thought? I am cruising toward one year on one of mine now (Value Modern entered in January). It is still in grading. Ugh. :)

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Just shipped my first Super Express... this should be interesting.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Did an express order. Vintage cards.

Date received: 9/15/21
    Date shipped: 9/22/21

Quick turnaround time.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 4:47PM

Progress!

FWIW - 76 & 77 Topps AS Cards.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had any crossover orders pop lately? If so, what was the turnaround time?

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I keep thinking the actual grades are visible at the Assembly stage... just setting myself up for disappointment, LOL

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:
    I keep thinking the actual grades are visible at the Assembly stage... just setting myself up for disappointment, LOL

Express orders are progressing quickly. My last one arrived and entered 9/2/21 and shipped 9/9/21.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    20 card quarterly vintage special
    Arrived 27 Aug 2020
    Entered 26 Oct 2020
    Still in "grading" stage...being patient

Arrived at my home 22 Sep 2021. Good to see them again!

• Options
    TronTron Posts: 64 ✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Progress!

FWIW - 76 & 77 Topps AS Cards.

I had 11 orders...all of which were entered on 1/13, get shifted to assembly today so it was pretty clear to me that they had made that their objective to get those moved out of grading phase today. That being said I'm expecting a decently extended stay in the assembly stage because more often than not of late that's been the reality. Hopefully I'm wrong and get pleasantly surprised, only time will tell

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:
    Did an express order. Vintage cards.

Date received: 9/15/21
    Date shipped: 9/22/21

Quick turnaround time.

Lucky! I sent in a one-card Express order that was received on 9/14, grading on 9/15, but hasn't moved from there yet.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

Nice results @blurryface and great turnaround too. I have two single card express orders arrived 9/13, logged 9/14, one in grading 9/15 and the other (crossover) in grading 9/20. Last express crossover I sent in July took about 6 weeks, so am expecting about the same on this one. Thinking the other non-crossover one is done in 4 weeks, but looks like yours and a couple others have popped much quicker.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 12:30PM

@Soonerific said:
    Nice results @blurryface and great turnaround too. I have two single card express orders arrived 9/13, logged 9/14, one in grading 9/15 and the other (crossover) in grading 9/20. Last express crossover I sent in July took about 6 weeks, so am expecting about the same on this one. Thinking the other non-crossover one is done in 4 weeks, but looks like yours and a couple others have popped much quicker.

thank you! did you send in w usps or fedex? think the fedex gets in there first thing in the am and a slight time advantage as lesser folks us them as compared to the usps. no concrete evidence though.

• Options

I always use USPS. Will use USPS registered if high value.

• Options

@Soonerific said:
    I always use USPS. Will use USPS registered if high value.

collectinsure. 😉

• Options

Express, 1 card PSA/DNA sub

Received/Logged: 9/14
    Grading: 9/15
    Assembly: 9/24

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    12 card express.

arrived: 9/14/21
    logged: 9/15/21
    popped: 9/23/21

notes: lightning fast poppage, imo. was expecting a month or so. all the trevors were subbed for a buddy, so not mine. 6 for 8 gems w/ two upcharges. knew the luka holo had extremely low chance at gemming. the rj barrett is /5. so a 9 is fine. extremely happy. no problem giving psa “their cut”.

Interesting that only one of the four Topps Trevor Lawrence autos got a 10. My son has a 16/99 auto from that set that we plan to submit at some point...I'll try to keep his expectations in check.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    12 card express.

notes: lightning fast poppage, imo. was expecting a month or so. all the trevors were subbed for a buddy, so not mine. 6 for 8 gems w/ two upcharges. knew the luka holo had extremely low chance at gemming. the rj barrett is /5. so a 9 is fine. extremely happy. no problem giving psa “their cut”.

I assume on the cards that were up charged that the current market for each is over $2,500? What is the current market for each card?

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 11:05AM

@jayhawke said:

@blurryface said:
    12 card express.

I assume on the cards that were up charged that the current market for each is over $2,500? What is the current market for each card?

a melo just went for 6.7 and zions are steadily inching up going into preseason around 3.6-3.8.

@jayhawke said:

@blurryface said:
    12 card express.

this is the second round of trevor cards subbed for him. only other gem was a ‘70 red /5. did sub another platinum that got a 9 w 10 auto but thats it. all the rest 9s. he pulled most straight from packs.

• Options

@scmavl said:
    Express, 1 card PSA/DNA sub

Received/Logged: 9/14
    Assembly/QA1/QA2: 9/24

Been sitting in QA2 since Friday. Hoping for an upcharge email, but nothing so far.

• Options

My final order that was waiting at PSA arrived today. Now sadly I have no orders to look forward to, so I hope they open back up soon. 😀

Arrived 10/14/20
    Entered 01/14/21
    Shipped 09/24/21

Anyone like 9s? I got 41 9s out of 60 cards.

Pretty happy overall with the order though.

Some cards where I have either 2 of the exact same card or two cards from the same set for easy comparison, I seriously can't see the difference between the 9 and 10. I get that their expert eyes are supposed to catch things that my eyes wouldn't, but then I have cases where I get a 10, and it doesn't look near perfect to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

or this a good one:
    44 1 53955421 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1989 Hoops 21 Michael Jordan All-Star Card
    43 1 53955420 MINT 9 1989 Hoops 21 Michael Jordan All-Star Card

I don't see the difference between these two. lol

I wonder if the graders get bug-eyed after staring at cards closely all day and can't see the difference themselves by the end of the day.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    My final order that was waiting at PSA arrived today. Now sadly I have no orders to look forward to, so I hope they open back up soon. 😀

Arrived 10/14/20
    Entered 01/14/21
    Shipped 09/24/21

Some cards where I have either 2 of the exact same card or two cards from the same set for easy comparison, I seriously can't see the difference between the 9 and 10. I get that their expert eyes are supposed to catch things that my eyes wouldn't, but then I have cases where I get a 10, and it doesn't look near perfect to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

or this a good one:

I wonder if the graders get bug-eyed after staring at cards closely all day and can't see the difference themselves by the end of the day.

a 6 usually means a crimped edge or corner when holdering lately. if you get it back, it does seem like thats what transpired & you decide to call them on it will you let us know the outcome. i have about 10 now from various subs that are in a box. right now im just letting them slide, i guess vs creating a headache for myself…

• Options

@blurryface said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Arrived 10/14/20
    Entered 01/14/21
    Shipped 09/24/21

or this a good one:

a 6 usually means a crimped edge or corner when holdering lately. if you get it back, it does seem like thats what transpired & you decide to call them on it will you let us know the outcome. i have about 10 now from various subs that are in a box. right now im just letting them slide, i guess vs creating a headache for myself…

Interesting. I do have these in hand. I’ll try to take some pictures tomorrow. Do you have any pictures of any of yours to show what these corners/edges look like?

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@blurryface said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Arrived 10/14/20
    Entered 01/14/21
    Shipped 09/24/21

or this a good one:

Interesting. I do have these in hand. I’ll try to take some pictures tomorrow. Do you have any pictures of any of yours to show what these corners/edges look like?

i can take a few next time im up there. most seem to be top corners from my recollection.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 8:39AM

1 Card PSA/DNA Express Order.

Rec'd/Logged: 9/14
    Assembly/QA1/QA2: 9/24
    Popped: 9/28

Cert # Grade Description Type
    6323XXXX Item Grade: MINT 9 Auto Grade: Authentic 2016 Rittenhouse WNBA 95 Breanna Stewart PSA/DNA Cert

While I was hoping for a 10, I knew a 9 was more likely so I'm happy. The only other graded copy is a PSA 6, so a 9 is huge for me. I know there are not many WNBA collectors here, but this is the only RC of the best player in the game which there are just 500 copies of. And I love a signed RC.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Yay @scmavl !!! Nothing wrong with a nice WNBA auto in PSA 9!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@blurryface said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@blurryface said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Arrived 10/14/20
    Entered 01/14/21
    Shipped 09/24/21

or this a good one:

i can take a few next time im up there. most seem to be top corners from my recollection.

Cool. I took pictures of my PSA 6. I did spot a small printing defect on the front which I circled. Other than that, I don't see any differences between the 9 and 6. Would this kind of thing knock a card down from 9 to 6?

I took a whole bunch of other detailed pics of all the corners and back if anyone wants to see. Nothing really stood out on the corners or edges that I could see, so I'm think this mark was more likely the culprit.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 2:34PM

Is there a dint or scratch on the bottom left edge corner area directly under the stars going to the bottom edge. Or is that a glare

• Options

@handyman said:
    Is there a dint or scratch on the bottom left edge corner area directly under the stars going to the bottom edge. Or is that a glare

I don't think there's anything there, but here's a corner shot:

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 3:21PM

I can maybe see it still. Its in the red part starting at the bottom of the stars.
    Maybe not. Hard going by a scan. How about the back.

• Options

@handyman said:
    I can maybe see it still. Its in the red part starting at the bottom of the stars.
    Maybe not. Hard going by a scan. How about the back.

Here are bunch of back pics:

• Options

Hard to tell by the scan. Mail the card to me with a hundo and Ill find the flaw and mail it back with an essay.

• Options

@handyman said:
    Hard to tell by the scan. Mail the card to me with a hundo and Ill find the flaw and mail it back with an essay.

Do you take a year to perform your grading services like PSA? 😁

I’m assuming there must be something I cant’t see. Not that I care much for this card, but I’m just trying to learn for future submissions.

• Options

There must be a bend dint or ding is my guess. Not the print dot. move it in the light at all angles and something should show up is my guess. Just mail me a fiver once you find it

• Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

In my experience, a 6 that looks like a 9 is usually a light surface wrinkle on the back. Wrinkles on the front usually get a 5.

They can be hard to see sometimes depending where they are. I had a Kobe e-x2000 rookie where the wrinkle was in the seam of the basketball. Took me forever to find it.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options

That could be. I'm not seeing any obvious ding or wrinkle, but the card may not be flat. It's super hard to tell in the holder, but the top edge look angled as if the card may be slightly warped.