Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

* Dahlonega Gold Thread *

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see some Dahlonega Gold. :blush:
I’ll start with my only example, but hopefully the start of a collection of Georgia gold. >:)

Comments

• Options

@Mr_Spud that’s excellent! I like the color on it.

• Options

I think this thread will be really interesting as a lot of examples are shown and all the different colors and strike variations are shown in one thread. Same for the Charlotte thread.

• Options

Great coins so far! :)

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am on the hunt for a G$1 D!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... Now I am torn between Charlotte or Dahlonega gold.... :# Which one? Or both? Darn, the two threads have awakened the gold collector beast within.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@mark_dak said:
    My two. I have posted these before. Purchased them raw. Would love any comments on "Altered Surface" designation of the 1852-D. Had several very knowledgeable local dealers look at it and shrug their shoulders.

Maybe some hairlines? Doesn't look bad in the pictures...

• Options

@ricko said:
    OK... Now I am torn between Charlotte or Dahlonega gold.... :# Which one? Or both? Darn, the two threads have awakened the gold collector beast within.... :D Cheers, RickO

BOTH! >:)B)

• Options

@asheland....The trouble is, that would equal the price of a really good, custom firearm. Stiff competition. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko I could see that, they are a bit pricey...

• Options

@BryceM said:

@Smudge said:

@ricko said:
    @asheland....The trouble is, that would equal the price of a really good, custom firearm. Stiff competition. Cheers, RickO

Custom made firearms are still being made. There will never be another C or D coin minted.

I just checked my change from lunch. Lots of D coins in it.

;)

Here's my single piece of Georgia gold, by way of Doug Winter. A fun coin, I think:

Excellent coin! I have become very appreciative of the original surfaces that are occasionally found...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 5:35PM

@ricko said:

I have type sets of both, but Dahlonega gets the preferential nod from me. They are from a small town, have a Three Dollar Gold Piece in the series and made better coins for a number of years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones.... Thanks Bill... I must admit, I have been leaning in that direction, for those reasons. Plus, I like the way the name 'Dahlonega' sounds... ;) Not a great reason, but there it is... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Legacy said:
    My only Dahlonega coin, by way of Doug Winter as well. AU50/CAC - The Fairmont Collection

I like that one. 👍

• Options

@liefgold nice coin! Do you have the entire gold dollar set?

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

I have all the gold dollars except the 55-D, 56-D, and 61-D. Hope to some day get the 56-D, but the others are probably beyond my pocketbook!

liefgold
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2021 6:12PM

@liefgold said:

@asheland said:

I have all the gold dollars except the 55-D, 56-D, and 61-D. Hope to some day get the 56-D, but the others are probably beyond my pocketbook!

That sounds like a very interesting set you’ve built so far! 👍

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

That sounds like a very interesting set you’ve built so far! 👍

Thanks. 30 years in the making!

liefgold
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2023 5:01PM

@mrcommem said:
    I will throw a few coins into the pot.