• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Nothing today as of 10:30

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

after seeing the feeding frenzy on ebay,

who's in for a HHL of 1?

I am.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

I would do a hhl of 3

• Options

email them -

usmint-support@usmcatalog.com

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2021 8:00AM

as for predicted complaints if the web site worked:

I mentioned this in a recently past thread.

I have bought some high demand items from Amazon. Their web site did not have error or ordering issues. Sometimes I was shut out, sometimes not. I'll also add that the HHL imposed by Amazon was imposed for months after. I was shut out of re-supplying.

I have no complaints with Amazon's ordering nor HHL enforcement

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

This stuff always cracks me up. Yes, I have been disappointed when I didn't get a "hot" item, but I accepted it. The Mint, like any business, makes things to sell, if the item is popular, it sells out quickly, end of story. The collectors who "boo hoo" if they don't get one, are the same guys who complain about the Mint constantly. They complain about quality, they complain about availaility, they complain about lost value....
    Trick is, if you don't like the vendor, don't do business with them. Problem solved!
    One more thing: Most collectors like the rarity of the pieces, whether by grade, or actual rarity. Would any of you, truthfully now, collect any coin that was available cheaply and endlessly? Okay, State Quarters from circulation, but, other than that....

• Options
    GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    What will the mint try now? Captcha was terrible, refresh lock-outs were a nightmare, bad gateway wasn't much fun...this is truly a version of musical chairs.
    Perhaps a voice recognition system like Alexa?
    Maybe the mint will develop some type of reservation system.
    Perhaps you will need to wait in line for hours (on-line) to purchase.
    How about raising the prices so high the number of purchasers would diminish.
    Maybe they come up with an in house purchasing card that you have to pay dues on yearly...the mint club card.
    How about releasing them at random times so nobody knows when to buy them.
    All terrible ideas mind you.
    The problem remains the same...100,000 people calling in at the same time.

This calls for a new T-Shirt.

lol, agreed with above. I'm interested to see what they do, but I don't think they have a good answer. I think this is more about them needing to secure the silver then it is about the website.... but we'll see. At the end of the day though, I think they are in a very hard place to make people happy. Making things hard for bots makes things hard for people. Captcha caused a ton of pain and I'm not sure it really shifted the dial. Short of just saying they will have a ton more processing power/bandwidth I don't see this really changing. Making a large infrastructure move to the cloud to try to better plan for the requirements seems like something that isn't quite so short term.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    after seeing the feeding frenzy on ebay,

who's in for a HHL of 1?

I am.

emailed !

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 9:18AM

If the issue is actually getting the product into the hands of collectors and making the website run smoothly, they just need a 1 HHL. End of story. Keep that for the entirety of the pre-order. Have an announced time each day that the additional product is released. You eliminate all the collectors buying max to resell, reduce all the traffic of existing buyers returning to try for more. It won’t stop buying networks and bots, but for most, it’ll no longer be worth their time.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

There is a buying frenzy on eBay now because collectors want to ensure that they get these. eBay is the only way now since the dealers are not offering them yet. If the dealers (who know their allocations) were to offer them, the eBay frenzy would be reduced (and most likely the prices would drop). There is currently no competition for the flippers.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2021 9:21AM

dealers would likely match the ebay pricing

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we have a new mint director or he bit off more then he can chew, normally they are space out every quarter this time they where what a week apart. And they probably only have half of there work force working. Then we come in and wipe them out and reload then say bring on the rest it made there heads spin around and they pumped the brakes. That’s why we get a new one every 5 years to much stress. It’s a lot to do 6 new coins in 5 months with all the other stuff in play crazy.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of months I went to the Debenham's website when they announced they were going out of business. They had a queue system, I was something like #35,000 in line. Took about an hour, but got into the website no issues, checkout was a breeze. Maybe the mint should give this a try, they've done everything else.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

the mint director is a political appointee and I am guessing they resign with new administrations.

• Options

@3stars said:
    A couple of months I went to the Debenham's website when they announced they were going out of business. They had a queue system, I was something like #35,000 in line. Took about an hour, but got into the website no issues, checkout was a breeze. Maybe the mint should give this a try, they've done everything else.

Unfortunately, this will not solve the problem. All it will do is decrease the number of collectors who actually get one. In the queue lottery you'll be competing against people who have hundreds to thousands of "unique" browsers in line. This is what happens with concert tickets.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@3stars said:

The Perth Mint also has a queue system. During the crazy time of 2012, the queue usually was about an hour long. You enter all the information and sit there to wait. These days not many hot coins, so haven't experienced that for a while.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:

@Weather11am said:

@Samuel8 said:

@Weather11am said:

@Samuel8 said:

@Weather11am said:
    Does anyone not have a payment method listed? I have two orders, one with a payment method and one like this

I have exactly the same problem.
    In the PAYMENT METHODS section of the ORDER SUMMARY, is blank, no credit card info. That's why my credit card does not show pending transaction.

I called the mint and got through... the lady couldn’t or wouldn’t understand what I was saying so I’m trying again. 😥

Why didn't you just ask her to add your payment info in the order?

I did... it wasn’t clicking. 😥

I called again and this lady said that she did see no payment method and she believes it will be canceled and she can’t do anything about it.

😭😭😭

Let me know if you hear a different answer.

I saw @jwitten said that a manager was going to call him. Hmmm.

I called just now, on hold for 70 min.
    I just asked the lady directly to add my credit card info in my order, she said, she can't.
    She kept saying before they ship they will send email to ask for credit card info.
    I asked whether the mint would cancel the order, she said no.
    I asked why some orders have the info, some don't. She said probably a system glitch.

She kept saying the same thing again and again, I suspect she has a piece of paper beside her and she just read it.
    Probably the mint is aware of the problem?

They will say anything to get people out of their face

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    Wow, I am a bit surprised at the dealers not offering these for sale yet. I contacted one of them and they said that they will be waiting closer to the October shipment date. They should be selling these while the interest is still hot. Why wait another 4 months to begin offering these? Seems to be what all dealers are doing (at this point).

going to be hot ,whenever they go on sale

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 10:45AM

@jessewvu said:
    either mint to demand; ordering window from x to y, close it, ship.

or

Dutch style. Sell 100,000 coins opening price is high, say $1,000 and drops $25 every 30 minutes until they are all sold.

I like the first option. Open a four-hour ordering window WITH NO CANCELLATION OPTION!, and fill every order.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

[A few months later the coins showed up at the house on a Friday.]

Exactly...you mailed your order form to the Mint and a few weeks or months later the doorbell rang and the mailman handed you a box.

But noooo....that's much too slow for flippers and eBay...so here we are today!

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@mbogoman said:
    My first US Mint mail order was for a 1969 Proof set. I remember how excited I was to be able to order it directly. I think it cost $5.00...

Yep. THey resumed Proof sets in 1968 and jacked up the price from $2.10 in 1964 to an outlandish $5!!!

I was starting college in the fall of 1968 but scraped up $85 (!) to buy 17 sets. Did not have a checking account so my Ma wrote the check and I gave her the cash. A few months later the coins showed up at the house on a Friday. There was a local show that weekend so I took them there and nobody else in the room had them! Found a dealer willing to pay me either $12.50 or $13 each for the lot so I dumped them. Paid my tuition for the Winter Quarter with the profits.

So...you're the original flipper that started this craze!

:)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foraiur said:
    If the issue is actually getting the product into the hands of collectors and making the website run smoothly, they just need a 1 HHL. End of story. Keep that for the entirety of the pre-order. Have an announced time each day that the additional product is released. You eliminate all the collectors buying max to resell, reduce all the traffic of existing buyers returning to try for more. It won’t stop buying networks and bots, but for most, it’ll no longer be worth their time.

A hhl of 1 does NOTHING to help web traffic.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Of course it does. When you reduce the potential profit you reduce the number of people willing to take the time to try. You also reduce the willingness of buy networks to devote their individuals to the effort vs. other endeavors.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do flippers get badmouthed so much? It's not like they buy bunches of coins and sit on them- they get them into the hands of collectors who, for whatever reason, don't want to deal directly with the mint. And isn't getting the coins to collectors what everybody thinks is important?

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

But it does increase the time the product is around. Maybe you have to hit refresh more but at least you have a wider window of getting the item you want.

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:

@3stars said:

The Perth Mint also has a queue system. During the crazy time of 2012, the queue usually was about an hour long. You enter all the information and sit there to wait. These days not many hot coins, so haven't experienced that for a while.

The United States Mint also tried this foolishness in around 2009 thru 2011. They called it the waiting room. You would log on to the mint site and were placed in the waiting room on a first come first serve basis. As people checked out new people were allowed to shop for items. The wait was at least 30minutes long to place your order. If you were lucky you would get an order confirmation but if your were unlucky you would get a place on the bottom wait list which means as orders were canceled or rejected the coins would be assigned to the next person on the list. Customers hated this as it was a waste of time and you didn't know if you got the coin for about a month.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

But it does increase the time the product is around. Maybe you have to hit refresh more but at least you have a wider window of getting the item you want.

Dean

I don't think it even does that. You had more than enough people logged on to each buy one.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigole said:
    Anyone trying to get the O or CC coins today? Any luck yet?

I’m still trying 🤪

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I don't think it even does that. You had more than enough people logged on to each buy one.

You are treating demand as if it is static. The web traffic is partly a result of the high profit potential. As you reduce the guaranteed profit the level drops more in line with demand from individual Morgan collectors & gifters. Could that be greater than they can deal with? Of course, but to know you have to lose the bots, buy networks, resellers who rearrange their schedules to try, and all the friends and family told by posters here there's a possible easy $600+ coming up.

• Options

@foraiur said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You are treating demand as if it is static. The web traffic is partly a result of the high profit potential. As you reduce the guaranteed profit the level drops more in line with demand from individual Morgan collectors & gifters. Could that be greater than they can deal with? Of course, but to know you have to lose the bots, buy networks, resellers who rearrange their schedules to try, and all the friends and family told by posters here there's a possible easy $600+ coming up.

The demand is static, the number of coins produced is static, the only variable in this equations is the number of users trying to fill the demand. The lower the HHL is set the more users there are. The more users there are the less your chance is of getting a coin.

With a higher HHL you have fewer users going after the fixed demand, and some will not want to send the money to get the full HHL. There will be less traffic and increase your chances of getting a coin.

The other thing that low HHL cause is FOMO which cause users with only a passing interest in the coin to purchase one.

• Options

From the U.S. Mint's website:

"The mission of the U.S. Mint is to serve the American people by manufacturing and distributing circulating, precious metal and collectible coins and national medals, and providing security over assets entrusted to us."

Assuming that they're "American people", why shouldn't resellers and friends and family have the same chance to buy these coins as anybody else?

• Options

@MasonG said:
    From the U.S. Mint's website:

"The mission of the U.S. Mint is to serve the American people by manufacturing and distributing circulating, precious metal and collectible coins and national medals, and providing security over assets entrusted to us."

Assuming that they're "American people", why shouldn't resellers and friends and family have the same chance to buy these coins as anybody else?

Speaking of friends and family, coin clubs and buying clubs what if the mint changed there policy to minimum purchase of 100 coins.

• Options

@djm said:
    Speaking of friends and family, coin clubs and buying clubs what if the mint changed there policy to minimum purchase of 100 coins.

Just like everything the mint does, that would make some people happy and piss other people off.

• Options

@foraiur said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I've said that the best way to cut traffic down is make a million of them. But there is also a demand issue due the big guys. You make it harder for the dealers, they will pay higher premiums and recruit more buyers. PFS was only offering $15 over on these. If they offer 50 or 60, you would have more flippers in the game not less.

You need the rarity to make them desirable, but with rarity comes value and corresponding demand.

Ultimately, this is a problem with no solution. Well, there's one solution, have the government distribute them for free to whomever wants them.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

SHIPPING NOTICE....I wonder who gets theirs first...... o:)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Did yours really ship?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, some are shipping already???

That really adds a twist to this insanity now. Prices will skyrocket if only a small batch ships.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@Bullsitter said:

Did yours really ship?

No, I was just wondering who would be first.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 1:34PM

We have a Mint who has no coins, selling to flippers who have no coins, selling to 3rd parties who have no coins. I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see 3rd parties selling to 4th parties who, you guessed it, have no coins.

If no one knew the context of what was going on with the US Mint, it would sound like a ponzi scheme.

• Options

up from just over 600 auctions a few days ago, ebay is showing 750 auctions now.

true auction prices are softening on the "O" and on the "CC" it can vary as some bidiots just have to win "This Auction" and will take a would be $260 finish to over $300 a few rare times.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Okay so please...the silver planchets are not an issue for these. The USM has the planchets in hand for the product limits announced. I would like to see them split up the release days, lower the hhl, maybe to 1 or 2 or a total of 3 if multiple mints are released same day. I'm not a dealer of flipper fan, but anyone collector or not that got confirmed for 'CC' or 'O' should not have limits changed retroactively. What about a random unannounced time for availability and then for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time?? That would spread them out and by time word spread it would limit the bottleneck. Those that really want them collector or not would have to work for them and it may eliminate some of the recruiting buyers. I just want to build a set. I got 4 orders through for 1 each and only did that to have a couple to trade anticipating the big demand and the USMs usual issues.

• Options

Oh and I forgot do away with the 10% advanced sale to the chosen few.

• Options

@smuglr said:
    I'm not a dealer of flipper fan...

@smuglr said:
    I got 4 orders through for 1 each and only did that to have a couple to trade anticipating the big demand and the USMs usual issues.

Hate to break it to you, but you're a flipper.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@smuglr said:
    I'm not a dealer of flipper fan...

@smuglr said:
    I got 4 orders through for 1 each and only did that to have a couple to trade anticipating the big demand and the USMs usual issues.

Hate to break it to you, but you're a flipper.

How so? I have a 'CC' and 'O' to trade even up for two of the others I don't get. I'm not selling anything or making any profit. Maybe I don't understand what a flipper is lol.

This discussion has been closed.