Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 8:30AM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Today’s pickins, hopefully something worthy of a trip to our host.

Went through half last night and it appears these have already been rummaged. The problem with customer wrapped is 9/10 times someone like JOEY has already been there. :D
    1/2 down 9 to go :)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 12:00AM

Finally, something

Searching through rolls of Quarters
    Memorial 2019p DDO / My 4th DDO

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 6:32PM

@USSID17 said:

@air4mdc said:

@USSID17 said:
    Got skunked!! All new 95-P's. Junk clad!!

That teller ripped me off!!

BTW: I only opened up 2 rolls to check. I'm not opening the rest. I'm taking them back to another bank.

I have two 1995 Kennedy’s with nice die cracks at the 7 O’clock position of the obv that I found roll searching. The only two out of about 700,000 searched. I would definitely take a look for errors.

Yes, I hear what you're saying. It's just no-way near the time and effort for me. Besides. I'm limited to my drop zones (banks) and I definitely don't want to give my problem to another bank. I'm lucky they will take the machine wrapped rolls.

I am going to do the time and effort...this weekend! :blush:
    I have never done a box of halves before, ever!
    I actually posted a separate thread in the forum because I'm totally giddy about it lol!

@joeykoins where's the best place for me to get a refresher on the list of NIFC's (2002 until present?) and things to cherry pick?! :smiley:
    I'll be reviewing varietyvista.com and doubledie.com and of course our host's guides (price guide and coin facts)...
    Did I miss anything obvious to refresh myself on???

The teller also had a few super shiny quarter rolls and a few customer rolls she knew were not from a collector. She's pretty sure they're change jar quarters...so wish me some luck there too!!! Knock on wood!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 7:36PM

Just click, on Google,
    "Kennedy half dollars mintages ". It will take you to Wikipedia's Kennedy pages.
    Then scroll down to, " Mintages ". They'll go.
    Good Luck, dude. Find some SILVERRRR! :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I received this beautiful 2021 quarter from pocket change.
    I was taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth and that was my intention until I saw this image just laying there.

On the other hand she still looks Pristine.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

This weeks half dollar finds. Ten silvers ! I searched 2 boxes of $500 each ($1000 total in half dollars. I finally found three 90%'ters! 2-1964 Kennedy's, and one 1962 Franklin! Also a complete run of 40%'ters from 1965-1969 and 2 extra 1969-D's.Total of 10 silvers and also a 1980-s Sac dollar (What is this doing in a half dollar roll?) And a half-a-half half. Also, 8 NIFC dates from 2002- 2015. A 1987-D. 3 -proofs 2005-S, 2006-S, and a 1976-S (not shown). The 1993-D half does not belong in the photo. What?? More silver coins then late NIFC dates?? (10-8) How is that possible?

Oh, yeah! Here is the half-a-half:

Half-a Half OBV.

Half-a-Half REV.

Someone has made this into a magicians' coin, but I only got the front half. Maybe Joey can find the Rev. half-a-half half for me.

• Options

Great finds, dude. Happy for ya. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice silver finds.... Now I know why I stopped getting half rolls from the bank... would have to search 1000 coins to find a couple... :/ No time for that.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 23, 2021 12:32AM

Canadian Find

2009 Proof Olympic quarter

Sledge Hockey

SILVER? Wt. 4.6

Paralympic Games

• Options
    edited May 23, 2021 12:01AM

Another Unusual Find

1977 s Proof Quarter

• Options

Another interesting one

Feeder Finger

2019p Memorial

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Another interesting one

Feeder Finger

2019p Memorial

I found an error last night too...my second Spitting Horse!
    Needs an acetone dip, not great condition...but still these little things are so exciting to spot!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 1:54PM

My last Fling

Couldn't Resist
    30 Rolls

Final Tally

15 40%er's
    11 90%er's
    1 Silver 2010s Proof
    My Biggest haul to date!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

...but still these little things are so exciting to spot!

Nice catch. Some have a continual crack going north, through the top of the horse's head. ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@Kurisu said:

...but still these little things are so exciting to spot!

Nice catch. Some have a continual crack going north, through the top of the horse's head. ;)

Yes...this appears to be a very early stage on. Makes me curious if the earlier stage or the later stage die crack is more valuable, or if it even matters.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@joeykoins .... Congratulations on that silver haul... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 10:25AM

Caught in the Wild Stunner

Silver

2010s Proof
    Found in my recent CRH.

Mintage: 585,414

Just one beauty from this recent haul. Will show some more soon...

Here are Some More Keepers

1969d

1968d

1969d

Then, the Last Three Keepers

The 1964's

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 7:10AM

The R looks tooled but then again I've never seen one.

Edit: After looking at the real deal, CoinFacts. It appears you are a winner winner chicken dinner :)

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

My small hoard of DDO's and other random stuff I've found in circulation over the past few years. They're still out there!!

• Options

Good idea what you done there with all those abnormalities.
    You should rename your book, "The Land of the Misfits". Lol

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Got just 5 rolls of Q's from the bank yesterday. Found 3 Bicen's, 2 "D"-mint ATB's still needed to fill an extra folder from circulation (just to amuse myself & pass the time), and a 2016 "Fort Moultrie" S-mint!!

My wife's having better luck finding me 2020 & 2021 P's I still need from her change from her daily Wawa coffee!! (Hopefully the boys will come thru with "D" mints from their respective homes out west when we see them next.........)

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 9:52AM

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Got just 5 rolls of Q's from the bank yesterday. Found 3 Bicen's, 2 "D"-mint ATB's still needed to fill an extra folder from circulation (just to amuse myself & pass the time), and a 2016 "Fort Moultrie" S-mint!!

My wife's having better luck finding me 2020 & 2021 P's I still need from her change from her daily Wawa coffee!! (Hopefully the boys will come thru with "D" mints from their respective homes out west when we see them next.........)

Keep on the hunt. Love the S mints (NIFC's) found in the wild! Very low mintages. Even lower then the new W's. :)

• Options
    _J_H_B__J_H_B_ Posts: 20 ✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Caught in the Wild Stunner

Silver

2010s Proof
    Found in my recent CRH.

Mintage: 585,414

Just one beauty from this recent haul. Will show some more soon...

Here are Some More Keepers

1969d

1968d

1969d

The 1964's

That 1964 is really cool! Nice find!

Things I always wonder 

"Are the 'e's in the word 'Bee' silent ?"
                                               &
         "When you say 'scent is the 's' silent or the 'c' ?"

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 10:29AM

J_H_B said:

The 1964's

>

Thanks! Which one? All three are beautiful. <3

• Options
    _J_H_B__J_H_B_ Posts: 20 ✭✭

@joeykoins said:

J_H_B said:

The 1964's

>

Which one? All three are beautiful. <3

The last one with the light Golden Tone to it, really neat!

Not as neat, but a couple roll finds, also found a couple 1776-1976 half dollars to complete a set of mine.

Things I always wonder 

"Are the 'e's in the word 'Bee' silent ?"
                                               &
         "When you say 'scent is the 's' silent or the 'c' ?"

• Options

Yes, nice toners there yourself, my friend. Very surprising how some of these coins could survive in the wild? To still end up in better condition than some coins in Mint bags? Amazing. ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, nice toners there yourself, my friend. Very surprising how some of these coins could survive in the wild? To still end up in better condition than some coins in Mint bags? Amazing. ;)

I'm betting they were tucked away in grandmas or grandpas dresser draw for years, someone needs the money, takes them to the bank to cash them in for bills, not knowing what they have is silver. More then once over the years, I've gotten costumer wrapped rolls of halves from bank tellers loaded with silver!!

People have turned them in, obviously not knowing what they had!

• Options
    HenryOHenryO Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

• Options

Welcome to the club Henry!

• Options

Anyone think they might be worth grading. I'm pretty new to this , but they looked nice to me. These seemed the best, but all 20 look nice.

• Options

@HenryO said:
    Anyone think they might be worth grading. I'm pretty new to this , but they looked nice to me. These seemed the best, but all 20 look nice.

It does look nice but the price of getting it graded, would be much more then the coin is worth.

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Welcome to the club Henry!

Thanks! My 12 year old son rekindled a childhood interest in coins during the pandemic.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 5:29PM

@HenryO said:

Welcome to the Forum.
    Those '93's you have posted are beautiful.
    Notice, the one particular. Do you see that unique gleemer and rotary shine around Kennedy's head? This is what is called a, "cartwheel" appearance. Very evident in a high conditioned coin. Usually, referred to in the Morgan Dollar Series. When you see that cartwheel, you know that coin is mint state. Meaning, high grades of a coin.
    Mint State grades start at a 60. It can go all the way to the best grade, the ultimate. 70! Good Luck in all your searches and/or interest. Welcome, once again. Don't be a stranger. - joey :)
    One More Thing about the cartwheel effect. If you hold the coin by its edges, and tilt and move the coin slowly back and forth, you'll see the cartwheel come alive!
    Thus, the reason it's called, "a cartwheel". :D

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 6:32PM

Hey, two can play this car, coin searching mission thing. :D

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@HenryO said:

It does look nice but the price of getting it graded, would be much more then the coin is worth.

I'm sure it's hard to tell from pictures, but I guess they don't look like 67-68?

• Options

Henry- What are your plans for these half dollars you find? Are you putting together a set of Kennedy's?

• Options

Welcome @HenryO I just wrote a 3 paragraph introduction that went poof :D Maddening, the notice said it would be shown once approved - I don't think that really happens, we'll see...

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Henry- What are your plans for these half dollars you find? Are you putting together a set of Kennedy's?

I actually was searching rolls for silver, not thinking much about what else I might do. But finding these has kind of got the bug to bite me.....I've been working on a lower grade Mercury Dime collection. I remember finding a few of these in circulation as a kid. Now I realize other coins I have been ignoring are fast becoming the kind of stuff I was fascinated with as a youngster.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2021 8:37PM

@HenryO said:

@USSID17 said:

I actually was searching rolls for silver, not thinking much about what else I might do. But finding these has kind of got the bug to bite me.....I've been working on a lower grade Mercury Dime collection. I remember finding a few of these in circulation as a kid. Now I realize other coins I have been ignoring are fast becoming the kind of stuff I was fascinated with as a youngster.

I'm doing the same thing right now, searching boxes for silver and errors. I have several sets of Kennedy's, just 64's thru 70-D's. Not interested in the clad stuff, just the DDO's.

Mercury Dimes are a good set to work on. Fairly easy to complete in lower grade, except that pesky 16-D! Good luck with your searching.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Welcome @HenryO I just wrote a 3 paragraph introduction that went poof :D Maddening, the notice said it would be shown once approved - I don't think that really happens, we'll see...

I'll keep a check back for it. Thanks for the welcome to a newcomer!

• Options

@HenryO said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I'll keep a check back for it. Thanks for the welcome to a newcomer!

No worries, I was just saying watch the rules here and some thoughts on grading. Too much to retype :)

• Options

At least for now...

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

My first off-center.

Nice. Those off center coins are very cool. Esp. If you can see the date and mm. B)

• Options

Congratulations on a neat off center find.... Even better, it still has the date/mm. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice off-center!!

Nice to know they're still out there!

• Options

Up to my usual tricks :D and on that side of town again I gave this bank another shot. They did not disappoint! The solid color wrappers have 78 through 82 toners, the striped rolls are all wheats aside from at least one that is all 69 D.
    The middle box clear rolls are 2012 and the box on the right looks like junk and from a different bank.
    Busy tonight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file