Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I’m trying to upgrade my 82 zinc LD it’s currently a 67, wanting a 69, but will settle for a 68 or three :)
    I purchased a few rolls on the bay and even though they showed some corrosion each roll still had some strong possibilities so I went back and cleaned the guy out.
    Crazy is this hobby, I could have bought a graded 68 for around $100 but instead WE like the hunt, maybe it’s greed but I doubt it. It’s just plain fun even if it ends up costing me $300 for a $100 coin because it was still a shot of a $10,000 coin.
    The graded coin came from a customer roll.

Sorry, had to show you my 82 from a customer wrapped roll as well, about 20 years. Thought you would appreciate it.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cross that puppy!

Nice coin!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Never thought of doing that until you just mentioned it.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I’m trying to upgrade my 82 zinc LD it’s currently a 67, wanting a 69, but will settle for a 68 or three :)
    I purchased a few rolls on the bay and even though they showed some corrosion each roll still had some strong possibilities so I went back and cleaned the guy out.
    Crazy is this hobby, I could have bought a graded 68 for around $100 but instead WE like the hunt, maybe it’s greed but I doubt it. It’s just plain fun even if it ends up costing me $300 for a $100 coin because it was still a shot of a $10,000 coin.

I wonder if the many tiny blisters would hold it back a bit...but the one in the slab does look like a finer example to me.

I think they do if like you said “many” some are okay according to CoinFacts pics. That shiner was just for show as you still must have a strong strike.
    I think it’s the 1988 but in CoinFacts there is a toned 68+ that is completely blistered but again the strike is very strong.

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Sorry, had to show you my 82 from a customer wrapped roll as well, about 20 years. Thought you would appreciate it.

Nice coin! Thanks for rubbing it in :D
    I’ll have one for you soon ;)

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 8:06PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

@USSID17 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I’ll have one for you soon ;)

If it's not a 69, I don't want to see it!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 1:42PM

Disappointing trip to the bank today. While taking care of other business, I asked for 5 rolls of Q's, along with a roll each of Nickels & Dimes, and 2 rolls of pennies. I just figured I'd waste away some time that night looking for 2020 "D" and 2021 "P" & "D" mints we needed to keep our collections up-to-date.

They gave me what ended up being 1 mixed-date & 1 BU roll of 2020-P pennies, a BU roll of 2020-P Nickels, a roll of 95% 2020-P dimes, & 5 BU official "U.S. Mint/Treasury State Quarter" rolls (white center with the Mint logo & "50 State Quarters", surrounded on both ends by an orange & then a black stripe, with the 2-letter state abbreviation & mintmark in large letters in the orange). 2 KS "P", 2 KS "D", and 1 WV "P"..................

Is there any value in keeping the quarter rolls as-is to sell or trade, or should I just open them up to look for errors, etc, or give to my wife to use for her MahJongg games?

Bummer............ didn't think it would be so hard to find 2020-D & any 2021's ............... Most interesting find today out of everything was just a 1976 Canadian cent......

:(

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have opened rolls from the U.S. Mint and now regret it. They should be saved as is in my opinion.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Disappointing trip to the bank today. While taking care of other business, I asked for 5 rolls of Q's, along with a roll each of Nickels & Dimes, and 2 rolls of pennies. I just figured I'd waste away some time that night looking for 2020 "D" and 2021 "P" & "D" mints we needed to keep our collections up-to-date.

They gave me what ended up being 1 mixed-date & 1 BU roll of 2020-P pennies, a BU roll of 2020-P Nickels, a roll of 95% 2020-P dimes, & 5 BU official "U.S. Mint/Treasury State Quarter" rolls (white center with the Mint logo & "50 State Quarters", surrounded on both ends by an orange & then a black stripe, with the 2-letter state abbreviation & mintmark in large letters in the orange). 2 KS "P", 2 KS "D", and 1 WV "P"..................

Is there any value in keeping the quarter rolls as-is to sell or trade, or should I just open them up to look for errors, etc, or give to my wife to use for her MahJongg games?

Bummer............ didn't think it would be so hard to find 2020-D & any 2021's ............... Most interesting find today out of everything was just a 1976 Canadian cent......

Hi, may I ask, what is your end goal? Thanks

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 1:57PM

joe_360:

We've always just collected various denominations as raw singles in blue Whitman folders. One exception was the State Q's, as I worked close enough back then in downtown Philly to walk at lunch to the Mint/Federal Reserve buildings & get fresh rolls as they were released - - thinking they might be nice for the kids.

Fast forward to several years ago, when I realized they weren't worth anything in regular "String & Sons" rolls, and would be a pain to relocate down the line. So we opened most of them up looking for a few nice ones to replace some in our folders, turned most back in at the bank, and traded/sold just a few rolls to others on the Forum who expressed interest.

So now we're back to just looking to fill a few holes from rolls & stay current each year (2020 & 2021). So every now & then, I get some rolls from the bank to search in my free time.

So while these "official" rolls might have been a welcome find years ago, unless they're of interest to anyone else or worth looking thru for a known error, I actually consider them a "wasted effort" today..............

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorful "Colorful Colorado"

How about that?
    How ironic is that? Lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

Think positive :smiley: We all hit big old rolls of nothings here and there!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Modwriter said:
    I have opened rolls from the U.S. Mint and now regret it. They should be saved as is in my opinion.

I LOOOOOOVE opening my mint rolls!!! Depends on what you're looking for...it's almost always going to be about searching for exceptionally great MS condition coins...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Modwriter said:

I LOOOOOOVE opening my mint rolls!!! Depends on what you're looking for...it's almost always going to be about searching for exceptionally great MS condition coins...

It's like Christmas morning!

• Options
    edited April 29, 2021 7:42AM

@Kurisu said:

Yep, have to agree. Here is just one example. This came fresh out of a mint box from the Mint at my favorite B+M shop she sold me. The "S" minted Tuskegee Airmen Quarters. The find and end result after submission.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

16 Rolls of Dollars

Let's try these. :*

• Options

Got some Loomis rolls from Chase today and one of my regular tellers (who actually likes seeing the photos of my finds!) told me that someone from a small business just gave her 3 rolls of quarters... I said yes :blush:

They are still out there...just a couple coins in to it I got my first Tallgrass W :)
    A bit circulated but also it's my first W find in a customer roll so that was neato!

There was also a really nice Tuskegee in there...haven't seen the Washington Crossing the Delaware yet... but I have a bunch of Loomis quarter rolls to open tomorrow :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Way to go, dude! Nice catch. ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

16 Rolls of Dollars

Results

Not one find. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :/

• Options

Back To Chase

If at first you don't succeed, TRY TRY AGAIN. Lol Weekend fun

40 Quarter rolls / 10 Half dollar rolls

• Options

• Options

@USSID17 said:

I’m feeling silver...

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 12:28PM

@USSID17 said:

Lol. Looks like many sticks of Dynamite! I know, it's ready to "explode " with SILVER/W's. :D
    Good Luck

Quarter Sticks,

Get it?

• Options

Hey- We all love the smell of silver shrapnel in the morning!!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 4:04PM

@joeykoins said:

Back To Chase

My favorite teller at Chase told me yesterday she'd be happy to order a box of halves for me! First time I'd ever get halves from that branch...considering it...!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

A weekend box!
    Not sure I'll through them during the whole weekend... @joeykoins would probably get through them on the drive home :wink:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

Back To Chase

My favorite teller at Chase told me yesterday she'd be happy to order a box of halves for me! First time I'd ever get halves from that branch...considering it...!

Look out for those NIFC's. Chase is known for those in rolls. At least my Chases? Lol. 2019p and d are my favorite. Only 1,700,000 mintage. The lowest number for the p and d's. ;)
    Good Luck

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    A weekend box!
    Not sure I'll through them during the whole weekend... @joeykoins would probably get through them on the drive home :wink:

The first thought that came to mind, was to look for W enders in that box.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 7:07AM

Keen Find

That's it for the 10 Half Rolls.
    Not silver, no variety but an

AWESOME Proof

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 7:16PM

2nd Proof Kennedy hunted down from the two last Chase Bank visits. Separate banks. B)

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 10:24PM

What a way to start the month of May off!

Back to my Chase Bank rolls and Already found two great finds :D
    Right now, these 2019 W's are HOT,HOT,HOT.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Saturday Morning Follow Hunters! $230 in quarters for the Weekend, wish me luck.

Looking for Silver, W's, rarities. Not an error hunter as I'm not that good. GLTA!

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Good Saturday Morning Follow Hunters! $230 in quarters for the Weekend, wish me luck.

Good Luck, dude. Catch the FEVER! ;)

• Options

Had to run a quick errand...haven't even started the other quarters and figured what else do I need?...
    More quarters!!!

Stopped at chase and got yet even more of a nice looking variety! I even see some slightly older ones in amazing condition!

Then I went fishing for an hour...Caught and released a couple trout and...
    It's almost 90 in Denver...now back home to lunch and search for quarters I don't want to release :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Nice Catch! Now, next catch, the W's! ;)

• Options

Nice catch! What did you use for bait?
    I remember a trip to Colorado years ago catching rainbow trout from the river bank using a cheap Zebco while the fly fishers wading weren’t having much luck. There was a sign that read, No using Salmon eggs in this area.

Made sense to me :D The best fishing is always behind the No Trespassing sign.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 4:48PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I remember a trip to Colorado years ago catching rainbow trout from the river bank using a cheap Zebco while the fly fishers wading weren’t having much luck. There was a sign that read, No using Salmon eggs in this area.

Good old worms for these. It was in one of the older and bigger reservoirs in the area. They're tasty, I only take the even bigger ones home! The bass in this little lake are really really tasty...20 minutes away I can fish for river trout that are really really REALLY tasty lol :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Good old worms for these. It was in one of the older and bigger reservoirs in the area. They're tasty, I only take the even bigger ones home! The bass in this little lake are really really tasty...20 minutes away I can fish for river trout that are really really REALLY tasty lol :smiley:

You can’t eat bass thats downright blasphemy :D smallmouth right?
    Sea bass are good but sweet water largemouth are purely for sport here.
    Or at least I would like to think, kinda like the waders watching me using salmon eggs there ;)

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 9:24PM

2019 W

This might be my only 2nd Lowell W?
    Found in a customer wrapped roll.
    Chase Bank coming through, once again!

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

You can’t eat bass thats downright blasphemy :D smallmouth right?
    Sea bass are good but sweet water largemouth are purely for sport here.
    Or at least I would like to think, kinda like the waders watching me using salmon eggs there ;)

Those predator fish are always the tastiest in my opinion. That goes for tropical locations as well...best fish I've ever had in my life was probably barracuda. And my brother lives in Tokyo, I've had more than plenty of fish (raw and cooked) to compare!

Here's what's in this little lake where I caught the trout...!!!
    Bass: Largemouth
    Bluegill
    Carp: Common
    Crappie: Black
    Green Sunfish
    Perch: Yellow
    Pumpkinseed
    Saugeye
    Trout: Rainbow
    Crayfish
    Tiny clams

Coins are Neato!

• Options

2020 W Rockefeller

• Options

Monday Chase chase

Do you SEE what I see? Sammie?

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Monday Chase chase

Do you SEE what I see? Sammie?

I'm going to have to take my teller up on her offer and order a box from my favorite Chase :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Two '67's

One might be a SMS?

• Options

@joeykoins I'm thinking Phillies unless there is some mirrors under there, either way nice scores.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 2:51PM

Got It!

1967p DDR

• Options

Double?.. Looks more like a triple!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file