Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Persistence

Circulated W's. Wishful thinking. Lol

Welcome to my life. In the 2 years I’ve been looking for west points my bank only had brand new rolls once and I could only get 10 rolls, but I did get some Ws from it. So after searching this long I’ve found (not counting duplicates) 4 of the 2019 designs missing the Idaho and I’ve only found one 2020 the Vermont. Best of luck to you though. Hope you find west points and silver.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Persistence

I was actually wondering about this term "circulation" when it comes to these W quarters. I guess technically, they are circulated. If the coins went from the mint to the coin rolling companies to the banks and have hit the commerce chain yet, are they truly circulated?

I guess it's the old narrative or an oxymoron; How can find an uncirculated coin............in circulation? If you find an uncirculated coin "in" circulation............it must be circulated!.........right?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the Quarter Bank Box,
    After 10 rolls- No W's. Just a NIFC. The 2015s Bombay Hook

Mintage = 1,013,920

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:

@joeykoins said:

Persistence

I was actually wondering about this term "circulation" when it comes to these W quarters. I guess technically, they are circulated. If the coins went from the mint to the coin rolling companies to the banks and have hit the commerce chain yet, are they truly circulated?

I guess it's the old narrative or an oxymoron; How can find an uncirculated coin............in circulation? If you find an uncirculated coin "in" circulation............it must be circulated!.........right?

You are talking semantics in my opinion. Instead of referring to the W quarters as Uncirculated and Circulated I use the terms new coin rolls and old coin rolls respectively.

The new coin rolls W quarters will be in much better condition since they have not been dispersed to the public and used to buy something. The old coin rolls W quarters were "circulated" in to the economy and thus will be more "damaged".

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@USSID17 said:

@joeykoins said:

Persistence

You are talking semantics in my opinion. Instead of referring to the W quarters as Uncirculated and Circulated I use the terms new coin rolls and old coin rolls respectively.

The new coin rolls W quarters will be in much better condition since they have not been dispersed to the public and used to buy something. The old coin rolls W quarters were "circulated" in to the economy and thus will be more "damaged".

More semantics on my part...
    I tend to think of rolls filled with MS coins as uncirculated no matter what. Since in my mind I go by the definition of MS, no wear from circulation (even if they are actually circulated). Coins can be in very low MS condition if they've been "circulated" amongst other coins quite a bit (like in coin vendor bins and rolling machines) but haven't experienced pocket wear and wear from being handled by hands and other surfaces.

There was a thread recently where we discussed can a coin be in MS condition if it has a fingerprint? The answer is yes. Because MS is about the coin's surfaces condition relative to having wear from circulation or just dings from other coins.

I have about 4 bank roll types I talk about in my mind's reference...
    Mint Rolls - All MS always.
    New Bank Rolls - Mostly MS and often just one year (but they come from coin vendors like Loomis so there is always the possibility of random conditions and years mixed in). It's not uncommon that I see a roll of all seemingly brand new 2020 for instance, with one random 2015 in there.
    Circulated bank rolls - Could have anything from the coin vendor that got rolled up, including nothing but an order of coins sent from one bank branch and returned to the same bank branch. It could also have absolutely brand new coins just like the new bank rolls. My only 2021 Tuskegee quarter was in a roll of nothing but mostly older circulated quarters.
    Vintage Bank Rolls - Rare but sometimes I'll get the occasional nice tight coin vendor roll from maybe the mid 90's if it's been sitting in a bank vault. Not really vintage but also definitely not new.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to think any coin above MS66 as uncirculated but unfortunately all coins are not created the same which, is also good thing.
    And then somehow some coins that have been in circulation can still grade higher than MS68 depending on where they’ve been hiding ;)
    Happy Hunting.

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@USSID17 said:

@joeykoins said:

Persistence

There was a thread recently where we discussed can a coin be in MS condition if it has a fingerprint?

I can attest to that! ;)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I would like to think any coin above MS66 as uncirculated but unfortunately all coins are not created the same which, is also good thing.

So an MS65 isn't uncirculated?

• Options
    edited April 15, 2021 10:50PM

Found this

Exquisite one!

PCGS has this in their highest grade ms 68 for $900. I figure, this one has possibilities? ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2021 1:35AM

Hunted Down

Only my second Samoa

• Options

Joey- Is that a die crack going across his chin and neck?

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

So an MS65 isn't uncirculated?

Yes and no that was just my way of thinking not the world view.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Found this

Exquisite one!

PCGS has this in their highest grade ms 68 for $900. I figure, this one has possibilities? ;)

That does look nice.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 8:54AM

:D
    This Quarter box is turning out to be the BEST! Look what's lurking in the 40th roll of the box.

Yes, Silver!!!

1962d

What in the world is near the "1"?

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 10:18AM

An even BRIGHTER Future?

Another box.

They are Circulated.
    Still have 10 rolls left from the last box.
    Happy Weekend Guys :)
    I hope you wonderful people can get on a roll that I'm on too?

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 12:12PM

PMD?
    Thanks guys

• Options

Reeding from another coin??

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 12:26PM

@USSID17 said: lo
    Reeding from another coin??

But did it happen Post Mint or during? :*

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 12:29PM

Another find from my first box. 8 rolls left.
    Check this one out. Old, old reeds. Haven't looked yet?

Will reveal in one minute. Lol :#
    Standing Liberty? I hope!

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Another find from my first box. 8 rolls left.
    Check this one out. Old, old reeds. Haven't looked yet?

Will reveal in one minute. Lol :#
    Standing Liberty? I hope!

See what happens when I wish you luck on a box 😆

• Options

See what happens when I wish you luck on a box 😆

Lol. Thank You, sir. I owe you a dept of gratitude. Lol. BEST QUARTER BOX EVER.

• Options

ARE YOU GUYS READY?

Boy O boy, this BOX!

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 2:42PM

I was

RIGHT!

Old reeds.

Standing Liberty

Can't make out the date? Denver, yes but year?
    All I know for certain. Denver mint
    Whether, it's
    :D

• Options

Helluva find Joey!

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Joey- Is that a die crack going across his chin and neck?

No die crack. Thanks :)

• Options

So this is not a die crack?

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 8:24PM

Best of luck to you though. Hope you find west points and silver.

Man, you were right on! Here are my

Winners

in that box.

What a box!!!

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    So this is not a die crack?

No, unfortunately, it's actually a scratch. Ouch! :#

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 8:52PM

@USSID17 said:

Hurray! Looks like a SUPER box for you too? Get some more. Good Luck. ;)
    I would soak the proof in acetone. You'll see a difference.

• Options

The best of the two boxes of home rolled Jeffs. Like the Lincoln’s the lustrous ones really pop when they come out. Suppose that’s true for all coins as is the excitement when you first see it.
    One or two might be worth grading but most likely not.
    Close but no cigar :)

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 9:58PM

Roll 1

New Bank Box

Hunting for #50 W

• Options

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    The best of the two boxes of home rolled Jeffs. Like the Lincoln’s the lustrous ones really pop when they come out. Suppose that’s true for all coins as is the excitement when you first see it.
    One or two might be worth grading but most likely not.
    Close but no cigar :)

Shining Beauties! Don't forget to check for those DDO's, 2004p's. ;)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I had sum excitement last night and I will get to that latter on.
    First I'm gonna throw something in this thread.
    I found this Ky. quarter (pocket change) and I hope I'm not being a third wheel with a bluff photo.
    Or is it Old News ?

• Options

Extreme Finds

In previous box

• Options

Joey what the....are you on a mission.
    I've been taking notes on your quest, Your cool, and if I may say Take a deep breath and relax.
    Just for kicks, check this out more pieces of eight.

• Options

This was found in a coin roll from the local market,
    I asked for 2 rolls of penny's. Why? Who knows.
    Found a 1982 small date, 3.1, Denver.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 7:01AM

@emeraldATV said:
    This was found in a coin roll from the local market,
    I asked for 2 rolls of penny's. Why? Who knows.
    Found a 1982 small date, 3.1, Denver.

Some of those small dates1982p's are normally 3.1. :)

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finds in my lasted 2 half dollar boxes; 0 silver :/ 30 NIFC's and 9 Proofs.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Finds in my lasted 2 half dollar boxes; 0 silver :/ 30 NIFC's and 9 Proofs.

That's pretty much my world as well but I throw those NIFC's and Proof's back, unless they're silver Proof's! :p

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 10:40AM

I'm only a couple rolls into my Saturday afternoon halves...
    Any thoughts on what could cause a cotton candy like toning like this?!
    Heat plus chemicals? It doesn't look like there is gunk on the surface at all...
    No tricks or angels, this is how it looks!
    1977 S...it was a proof! lol!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 10:31AM

Give it an acetone bath, bet it will come off. Whatever it is, it looks like it's baked into the surface and destroyed the coin.

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Give it an acetone bath, bet it will come off. Whatever it is, it looks like it's baked into the surface and destroyed the coin.

I'm more curious about what may have caused it...it's a 1977 S in rough condition...not worth the effort of a bath.
    It might become one of my card protector coins for poker :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 10:39AM

@Kurisu said:

@USSID17 said:

I'm more curious about what may have caused it...it's a 1977 S in rough condition...not worth the effort of a bath.

I guess we can all use our imaginations on what caused it. But you're right, it's just junk clad.

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@Kurisu said:

@USSID17 said:

I guess we can all use our imaginations on what caused. But you're right, it's just junk clad.

I didn't even realize it...but actually this must've been a proof! lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 10:43AM

@joeykoins said:
    Make sure you treat your bank tellers with "sweetness " and with all the upmost respect! ;)

Haha!!! You know I've talked about bringing my tellers cookies before, true. ...Good on you Joey! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 12:02PM

After what ,emeraldATV said,
    Sorry, I'm going against your wishes. Lol.
    I just picked up 30 more Quarter rolls! Lol.

Even though I still have a half a box left from my recent acquisition. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file