Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I ever posted these nice ones I got from my rare half dollar search a couple weeks ago.
    Hoping they're Joey approved?!
    :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2021 4:41PM

@Kurisu said:

Lol. Are you kidding? Those are EXQUISITE, dude! <3 Love da 2011. Low mintage 1,750,000
    Lower than any "W". ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2021 5:04PM

Here are most of my NIFC's. Still more laying around somewhere?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Kurisu said:

Lol. Are you kidding? Those are EXQUISITE, dude! <3 Love da 2011. Low mintage 1,750,000
    Lower than any "W". ;)

Hey Joey! Don't be talking trash about W quarters!😂🤣

• Options
    edited April 4, 2021 5:09PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

That's funny! Lol. Well, my last W (#45), did turn out to be a "trashy" looking one. Ring Of Death. Lol.

• Options

Tonight's Mission

After the Wifey goes to bed. Lol
    Work on Part 27

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

That's funny! Lol. Well, my last W (#45), did turn out to be a "trashy" looking one. Ring Of Death. Lol.

I saw...couldn't bear to look at it. Broke my heart 💔

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @JoeyCoins .... Is that the special 'no steps' variety??? :D;) Cheers, RickO

Yea, he’ll need a handicap parking sign for that one...Wheelchair access only :D

• Options

Just picked up.

Hoping for these

Circulated

• Options

Pulling a @Joey doing a photo shoot from my fossil fueled gas guzzling truck while running teslas, leafs, twizzys, rice burners and the like into the ditch. Figuratively speaking of course and still asleep at the wheel😎

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

19 rolls into my latest box of halves yielded 30 NIFCs (most 2018), 1 1973 S Proof, and some nice 1971 D halves. No silver.
    NIFC count is up to 155 or so with 31 rolls left to open in this box. Since I have so many 2018s I might open a trade in kind only NIFC in the buy sell trade forum, what say you? Cheers.

• Options

Nice NIFC finds. Some of these have lower mintages than any W Quarters. Cool 73 Proof also. Keep hunting. Catch that silver! ;)

• Options
    edited April 6, 2021 9:47PM

Not a W but just as cool, maybe better?

Lower Mintaged S Mint

Only 855,674.

Have 20 rolls left. :)

• Options

A Trip to my Bank

Box Of Nickels and 14 Rolls of Quarters :)

• Options

@joeykoins Man, your wearing those people out :D They prolly got you on speed dial...
    Hello is this Joey? Your daily box of quarters has arrived :D
    I do the same thing.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

So for everyone who are devoting substantial time and energy to CRH in 2020 and in 2021 I have a question for you.

How old are each of you?

If you are under 55 years old then all I can say is have fun in your CRH endeavors.

If you are older than 55 then I have a second and a third question for you.

When did you start your CRH?; and if you did not start in 1965-1966 why not?

I suspect that none of the current forumites who CRH started CRH in the mid 1960's.

Had they done so I expect that the number of high grade ("Gem") clads from 1965 -1989 that remain in existence today would be higher than they are.

• Options

@SanctionII I must be on the cusp as I turn 54 next month however, I only began in this hobby 4 years ago. Oh how I wish I had started earlier like you say. I was too busy partying and chasing women in my younger years to have ever had the clarity or have had an intellectual moment at home one night to discover this wonderful hobby.

Speaking of 1989 four of these rolls that showed up today are. A modest price at roughly 10x face but also 10x what they would have costed then.

I'm working on those numbers by the way ;) Apparently PCGS didn't have too many Pics in CoinFacts for 86 D so, I filled two of those recently. I currently have 8 to 10 of those spots, no big deal but they're like trophies to me.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 8:13PM

Found today.

Cud or Rim Burr?

Thanks ;)

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 9:46PM

@SanctionII said:
    So for everyone who are devoting substantial time and energy to CRH in 2020 and in 2021 I have a question for you.

How old are each of you?

If you are under 55 years old then all I can say is have fun in your CRH endeavors.

I suspect that none of the current forumites who CRH started CRH in the mid 1960's.

Had they done so I expect that the number of high grade ("Gem") clads from 1965 -1989 that remain in existence today would be higher than they are.

Started in 1955.
    65 to 69 was in South East Asia for 3 years relaxing on my Uncle's dime visiting exotic countries, most of the people were friendly except for a few malcontents.
    Picked it up again in the mid 70s, off again, on again to date. Ran my own company until I retired 10 years ago. Started pennies, nickels again and only recently started cracking halves. 75 years old, Cheers.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 11:12PM

2019 W Rockefeller

Found Tonight

• Options

@SanctionII said:

How old are each of you?

I don't know what counts as a substantial amount of time...but everything requires a substantial amount of energy at the moment for me since I'm unfortunately in month 4 of Covid long-haul torture... but on a lighter note :blush:
    I'm 51 and still doing a few rolls a week. I didn't do many rolls from the banks for most of last year as I took staying away from the virus darn seriously...but it still found me this last December, oh well, shtuff happens.

I started searching in the late 70's which is when my family moved back to the states due to my Dad's job. Both my parents were New Yorkers but my Dad's career took us around the world for a while.

I also have a substantial collection of vintage mixed bank rolls...some from pre-ebay and a lot from the early days of ebay and some more recent. As well as some truly unusual rolls. I also have quite a few U.S. Mint rolls going back to about 2000 as well.

I was originally involved professionally in the internet, or World Wide Web as we once knew it in the very early 90's after college. But believe it or not I have been an totally offline collector until only early last year when I started participating in the coin forums. Until then I would sporadically go to coin shows since around the mid 80's when my family moved to Southern California.

There are definitely plenty of gem clads around and some wonderful vintage bank rolls still readily available (besides the ones in my collection lol) if you know where and how to find them. Many are the original bank rolls with all or mostly coins from one year but there are also the rolls we would call customer rolls available here and there.
    Surprisingly those gem clads even show up in more modern rolls a few times a year for us regular searchers...as Joey and CoinScratch can attest to :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Found today.

Cud or Rim Burr?

Thanks ;)

Looking like a little cud to me :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@SanctionII said:

I didn't even start collecting until 1998. Started CRHunting about 1999? I'm 64.
    This year and most of last year is all gungho! Probably because of the Covid thing? Found many treasures since. Esp. my most valuable coin yet while CRH. 2020 W Tallgrass Prairie Quarter. ms 67.

$750

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 4:15AM

@SanctionII said:

How old are each of you?

I am 69
    Started in 1958
    Almost no one was interested in saving or collecting clad coins when they came out. Grading companies did not exist in the 1960's.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 4:42AM

My finds from 2 boxes of half dollars: No silver found. 2-1987-P, 1-1987-D, 9-2009-P, 7-2009-D, 1-2003-P, 1-2004-P, 1-2004-D, 1-2011-P, 1-2014-D (Total 21 NIFC's) Proofs-1973-s, 1974-s, 1979-s, 1984-s, 1985-s (Total 5 Proofs) 29 coins in total. 3 of the proof coins and 2 of the 2009-P's were all in the same roll. Someone marked both of the 2004's with a black ink sharpee. While NIFC issues are "not-intended-for-circulation", the mint will release what they don't sell in rolls, mint sets or however else they sell them, after a certain time period. This is why there are so many "NIFC"
    issues in circulation. Most non-proof NIFC issues found in circulation, are from mint overruns and not collection dumps.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 5:25PM

Catch 22

Hoping out of this recent pick up of 22 Rolls, I'll "Catch", one or two W's? Lol :D

• Options

Three in one roll and the rest blanks.
    Let me know what I won :-)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked up six boxes of quarters today, all bearing shiny new Tuskegee Airmen. Too bad there's no W's for this issue.

• Options

@derryb said:
    picked up six boxes of quarters today, all bearing shiny new Tuskegee Airmen.

2021's are cool but like you said, no W's! All 6 boxes? Don't be too sure that ALL contain the Airmen. I got stuck a couple of weeks ago with one box when I opened it. So tried to open them all to get rid of them to cash in. To my surprise, about 3/4 of the box were mixed rolls after all. Circulated Quarters in between many 2021 enders! Lol I remember, I did find a W. Along with some cool ones as well. So maybe there is hope for you? Good Luck. ;)

• Options

@derryb Maybe some 67s & 8s.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    My finds from 2 boxes of half dollars: No silver found. 2-1987-P, 1-1987-D, 9-2009-P, 7-2009-D, 1-2003-P, 1-2004-P, 1-2004-D, 1-2011-P, 1-2014-D (Total 21 NIFC's) Proofs-1973-s, 1974-s, 1979-s, 1984-s, 1985-s (Total 5 Proofs) 29 coins in total. 3 of the proof coins and 2 of the 2009-P's were all in the same roll. Someone marked both of the 2004's with a black ink sharpee. While NIFC issues are "not-intended-for-circulation", the mint will release what they don't sell in rolls, mint sets or however else they sell them, after a certain time period. This is why there are so many "NIFC"
    issues in circulation. Most non-proof NIFC issues found in circulation, are from mint overruns and not collection dumps.

Thanks for the info. Maybe that's why I keep finding 2018 Ds from the boxes I order from the bank. I am in the Los Angeles area. I found a few of other dates as well. The best box was marked 1999 which had more than half of the rolls with 99s or earlier with some silver. Cheers.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 9:51PM

After the 22 Roll search

First one in the River of No Return Series

First one in the Samoa Series

Then This!

Do ya see it?

YES, SILVER-R-R-R.
    1963d

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

Was your post aimed at me? Lol

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Was your post aimed at me? Lol

Yes, and I almost said, and a silver then I thought nahhh :)

• Options

Dude! You're scaring me. :#

• Options

Nice scores dude, go back to where you found those. There should be more! ;)

• Options

Thanks. Great prediction too. Thanks. I feel you actually helped me in some crazy way! Lol. Yeah, the bank I got those from was not even my branch bank. Chase! Thank you, Chase. It's funny I started my first post about the quarter rolls with the words, "Catch 22". It turned out to be a great catch after all. Lol.

• Options

The mintages of 2018-D kennedy' s is the highest of the so-called NIFC's with a mintage of 6.1 million and the 2018-P's 4.8 million per wikipedia. The 2018 Kennedy half mintages seem to be too high to be called NIFC.

• Options

@rec78 said:

The 2018 Kennedy half mintages seem to be too high to be called NIFC.

Yes, I agree. So does the 2013's. Too high of a mintage. I toss all the 13's back. The 10's and the 19's are couple of the best years. ;)

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 12:16PM

From 4 Different Banks

Picked up 10 more Quarter rolls from that Chase Bank. This time all 2020
    Rockefeller's. Hoping maybe for some W's this way? :*

Red= Chase

Green= TCF All Three Different Branches

Blue= TCF

Yellow= TCF

Total
    23 Rolls
    Here We GO...

• Options

My chase bank had such good rolls of cents last week that I went back today for Jeff’s. No shortage of customer wrapped rolls plus another box of cents.
    Gotta love it when you see some vintage rolls mixed in.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 5:15PM

@joeykoins said:

From 4 Different Banks

Picked up 10 more Quarter rolls from that Chase Bank. This time all 2020
    Rockefeller's. Hoping maybe for some W's this way? :*

Red= Chase

Green= TCF All Three Different Branches

Blue= TCF

Yellow= TCF

Total
    23 Rolls
    Here We GO...

All Chase. Red= Nothing

Next, yellow pile...

• Options

Update:

Yellow = Nothing

Next, blue pile...

• Options

I keep seeing Tuskegee enders and whole rolls...nothing but that single one I found so far from the Chase branch right by the Denver Mint.
    Just came home with these from my Chase about 6 miles from the Denver Mint...no Tuskegee ends... "W"ish me luck! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Good luck bro!

• Options

I gotta brush up on the FS Jeffs and such before digging back in, so as not to miss anything good. I've been on the Lincs so long... Plus, three jumbo Hibiscus Margaritas at dinner and I can't find my loupe :D:D:D

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    I keep seeing Tuskegee enders and whole rolls...nothing but that single one I found so far from the Chase branch right by the Denver Mint.
    Just came home with these from my Chase about 6 miles from the Denver Mint...no Tuskegee ends... "W"ish me luck

Good Luck mman. Catch some W's. ;)

• Options

Found it :D

Seriously though, did you know the 81P FS MS63 is priced at $70 and MS65 at $600? Along with several other ultra moderns.
    Talk about a conditional rarity! But...Probably as likely as 69 FS. :|

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

rec78: Thanks for the info regarding the Mint "dump" of NIFC halves! I was wondering how they managed to get into circulation/rolls other than someone unloading from sets or rolls/bags ordered. Now, at least I have a sliver of a chance of someday finding 2020 & 2021 halves needed to keep our collections up-to-date........... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file