Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 11:47AM

Another newp in PC40. 1903-O Barber Quarter replacing my VF30. Pictures attributed to Heritage.

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

I believe so. Id have to dig out the slab but to the best of recollection you are correct!

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Here’s a Half I like, it was tough to find an acceptable raw coin for my 7070 that didn’t break the bank.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to all in Dalton.

A 45 and a 53 that made a trip west today:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2021 3:50AM

Very nice Vern! that '98-S is a toughie in that grade. Another toughie traveling west is this coin. I now will have an S/S that IS RECOGNIZABLE by PCGS. My S/S/S East 1907-S in PC45 was not recognizable as a variety. I am looking forward to the updated Cherrypickers supposedly coming out later this year addressing this inconsistency (I hope).

Seller's pics, AU stated, I believe no more than XF:

• Tim

Edit: Finally had a chance to look closer to this coin this Saturday AM. I am now seeing excessive scratching so the coin will need to be returned. Ugghh.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brought this thread up from page 3.... It's been a while since I've added anything to my PCGS set. I've been on the lookout for an attractive example of this date & mm for quite a long time so when I saw this one I just had to get it into my collection. Thanks go out to Lenny, and great pics as well:

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 12:46PM

A while back I posted photos of a 1901 S Dime I purchased in a NGC VF 30 holder. I had a blank spot in my PCGS Dime set for the date, so off it went to our hosts for crossover. It came back with the same grade:

Now just the elusive '96 S is needed to complete my Dime set.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jed, Glad you like your new 98-O! I love that coin!

For tonight, a couple of 58 nickels belonging to my friend Mike and photographed by my friend Vern...

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Barber Dime article... https://www.gainesvillecoins.com/blog/key-date-barber-dimes-values

Apologies if I shared it before.

• Options

A sweet 12-D nickel heading over to my buddy in NJ....PC 58 CAC.

• Options

PC 58 and PC 55...

• Options

one of my favorite dates... PC20...

• T

• Options
    edited April 24, 2021 10:57AM

Going back through some old photos... Oh to know how it got there and where it had been. This one originated from South Korea.

• T

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Going back through some old photos... Oh to know how it got there and where it had been. This one originated rom South Korea.

• T

Likely made a trip from the Philippines. It would be interesting to know.

• Options

A pair of PCGS 58s.....

• Options
    edited April 25, 2021 7:36PM

I don't collect Liberty Nickels, but I'm forced to make an exception. PC-58 CAC!

• Options
    edited April 27, 2021 10:25AM

TrueView images just came out on this PC45 1895-S/S BQ (unattributed)...

S / S...

• T

• Options

Recently discovered... a variety we haven't seen cataloged before. 1901-O/O SW (southwest)

• Options

Nothing new here, but in an effort to bump this page up from the hinterlands here's one of my 1909 S Halves with an inverted MM:

It's surprising this didn't happen more often. Perhaps the MM Puncher was always one of the most experienced and careful Craftsmen.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nothing new here, but in an effort to bump this page up from the hinterlands here's one of my 1909 S Halves with an inverted MM:

It's surprising this didn't happen more often. Perhaps the MM Puncher was always one of the most experienced and careful Craftsmen.

One of my favorite varieties.

I [he said modestly] 'discovered it.

I remember picking up a 'bunch' of barber Half dollars that I need for my set, and was looking for RPM's.

This one just struck me as strange.

It took me months to get the variety verified, thru Coin World.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I remember picking up a 'bunch' of barber Half dollars that I need for my set, and was looking for RPM's.

Frank- what year was that? I'm curious how long the variety has been around.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Frank- what year was that? I'm curious how long the variety has been around.

I just checked, and it was listed Collector's Clearing House, July 19, 2004.

And it was first listed in the 4th Edition of the Cherrypickers Guide

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Frank, I agree with Jeff. We would like to learn more details about the inception of how the variety became known... what caught your attention when you first saw it? What transpired or what evolved to the point the inverted S became an entry into the Cherrypickers Guide (Fivaz/Stanton)?

Very cool!

Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Frank, I agree with Jeff. We would like to learn more details about the inception of how the variety became known... what caught your attention when you first saw it? What transpired or what evolved to the point the inverted S became an entry into the Cherrypickers Guide (Fivaz/Stanton)?

Very cool!

Tim

Well, to start with, I am a Barber hoarder. Over the years I have amassed a large number of pieces.
    Most likely this was one that I purchased by chance, not because I noticed it in a dealer's inventory. Call it dumb luck.

Anyway, that evening I was logging the newps into my inventory, and marking them with my purchase date, source and cost.
    At the same time I always check for MPD's and RPM's.

This one just looked strange to me, and I pulled out another of the same date/mintmark.
    I could see that they didn't match. I checked a few others that I had, and they were also different [read: normal].

I showed it to Frank Leone [of error & two cent pieces fame] at the next local coin show. He said he couldn't tell, since he didn't have a microscope handy. But suggested that I sent it to Collectors' Clearing house.

On an a chance, I sent a letter to Collector's Clearing house and was invited to submit it to them for examination.

They verified it in the above edition.
    I didn't know that it was to be in the CPG and happened to be at the ANA when it was issued. I looked for fun and saw it there. [Aside: I wrote for Whitman and they published one of my books previously]. Talking to Dennis Tucker, the Publisher, I jokingly mentioned the coin and how do I get credit for it. He asked if I had really found/discovered it, and I offered to show him a copy of Coin World that I had kept.
    I didn't know it, but I was listed in the next edition as a contributor.

Long story, much shortened.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 12:48PM

I would wager somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of 09-S Barber Halves are the inverted S. If not I have a knack for getting them!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I would wager somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of 09-S Barber Halves are the inverted S. If not I have a knack for getting them!

Darrell- I agree with your observation; I've owned many myself. I've come to the conclusion that there were at least 2- '09 S dies used for striking the coins. I've observed that there's a slight shift in the MM position. Here are two examples with a shifted MM (in my opinion):

It sure looks to me like the position and rotation of the "S" is slightly different.

• Options

PCGS MS-62...

• Options

Jeff! You are really getting Macro with these Barbers. Time for you to identify all the dies and write a VAM type guide for Barber Halves so I will have more varieties to collect! :# I'm actually contemplating getting a Micro O! I have the other 4 in 58 although only 1 is attributed on the holder. It's time for you to take over our good buddie MFH's fight with PCGS and get them to recognize the 1907-S/S as a major variety! I would recognize it before I did the 11-S/S. the 1907-S/S is way more visible and obvious than the 1911-S/S!

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Darrell- I agree with your observation; I've owned many myself. I've come to the conclusion that there were at least 2- '09 S dies used for striking the coins. I've observed that there's a slight shift in the MM position. Here are two examples with a shifted MM (in my opinion):

It sure looks to me like the position and rotation of the "S" is slightly different.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Jeff! You are really getting Macro with these Barbers. Time for you to identify all the dies and write a VAM type guide for Barber Halves so I will have more varieties to collect! :# I'm actually contemplating getting a Micro O! I have the other 4 in 58 although only 1 is attributed on the holder. It's time for you to take over our good buddie MFH's fight with PCGS and get them to recognize the 1907-S/S as a major variety! I would recognize it before I did the 11-S/S. the 1907-S/S is way more visible and obvious than the 1911-S/S!

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@amwldcoin D - Jeff and I are starting down that road a bit in conjunction with BCCS. Halves are just beginning to be under study right now. See the most recent BCCS Journal for additional information.

Thank you for your interest! currently for me, I am capturing the provenance of first discoveries of varieties... recording this information. Any help you can give would be appreciative. Already getting some very insightful information to support the project.

Thanks again, T

• Options

PC-62 CAC. Pix courtesy Vern!

• Options

Added this one yesterday from Milo's second set (formerly from the Iowa Collection), PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys That is really tough for that grade and date. Nice pick-up. - T

• Options

@sedulous said:
    1894-O dime. New pics.

• T

Crossed over this previously shared dime into a PCGS XF40 from this NGC XF45... new pics here but no TV yet:

• T

• Options

You got me to thinking. Just trying to figure out the logistics of the bank visit etc. If you 2 are game why don't the 2 of you pay me a visit sometime this summer with your weapons in hand(loop, camera). Between my collection and inventory I've got over 2500 halves in F-AU.

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@amwldcoin D - Jeff and I are starting down that road a bit in conjunction with BCCS. Halves are just beginning to be under study right now. See the most recent BCCS Journal for additional information.

Thank you for your interest! currently for me, I am capturing the provenance of first discoveries of varieties... recording this information. Any help you can give would be appreciative. Already getting some very insightful information to support the project.

Thanks again, T

• Options

Centered S '95-S quarter in worn grade. Maybe 3% of the population is the centered S. Just as rare as the '97-S ctr MM. A newp...

• T

• Options

Vern, Nice 99-O!
    A pair from Srotag's collection, both PCGS 58 CAC.

• Options

Lenny,
    Love the 92-O,

• Options

Buy It! :#

@No Headlights said:
    Lenny,
    Love the 92-O,

• Options

Another update. I attempted a crossover of this 1894-O quarter from ANACS XF45 to PCGS. The result was a straight grade equivalence into a PCGS XF45 holder...

• Tim

• Options

Here's my '94 O Half; let's create a mint set:

• Options

And here's a fake '94 O Half I received in the mail once from an eBay purchase:

I returned it. Interesting, however.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few colorful Proof NEWPS for the Eldorado reg. set:

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my '94 O Half; let's create a mint set:

Jeff, that is just plain gorgeous!

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2021 4:55AM

It took a long time for PCGS to release a bunch of the coins I bought from George Harrison's collection. I was about to start the arduous task of sending pictures of the coins when I discovered they were finally released! Was supposed to get an email when they did but didn't or missed it.

• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

Darrell--very nice set, but where the heck did you get that awful 1901-S :wink::smile:

• Options

Darrell, glad to see your set. Congratulations on fully joining the barber quarter fanatics (can dimes be far behind)?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2021 4:43AM

Verne, as much as I try, I just can't get the passion for the dimes.

edit to add since Verne makes rare appearances these days! ;)@barberkeys

• Options

Spring is here. Verne is golfing. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file