Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of nice coins and interesting stories! Here's a perfect AU-50 CAC. I'd sell all my 58's for a set of 50's like this one.

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another one of those slightly older PCGS-holdered Barbers... this one is an 1899-S in F12. Provenance is Glen Holsonbake of PonyExpress Coin (now Americana Rare Coin) from July 19, 2014.

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This raw 1900 S Barber Half showed up in the mail yesterday:

I don't quite know why I purchased it; I guess I just thought it looked nice for the price. This one came with a lot of grime on it.

Question for the audience; does the grime detract from the coins appearance or does it help create a patina of authenticity? There is no right or wrong answer, I'm just interested in opinions.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, Just going by your picture I will say this. I would remove the gunk if it is gunk. If acetone won't remove it it appears to me to be a coin that was darkly toned and dipped and dipped until who ever was doing it thought they couldn't remove the rest. It just has a washed out look in the picture to me.

• Options

Just got my grades. Here is the 1st + I made!

• Options

And another!

• Options

And Another!

• Options

And Another!

• Options

And Another!

• Options

And Another!

• Options

And Another!

• Options

And Last but not least!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    This raw 1900 S Barber Half showed up in the mail yesterday:

I don't quite know why I purchased it; I guess I just thought it looked nice for the price. This one came with a lot of grime on it.

Question for the audience; does the grime detract from the coins appearance or does it help create a patina of authenticity? There is no right or wrong answer, I'm just interested in opinions.

Jeff, We disagree a bit on this point I know. I believe you like it as is and it brings character to the coin. For me, if I could remove the grime without hurting the coin (like with the end of a q-tip), I would do it. This is because the blotchyness is on the prime focal areas and is visually distracting IMHO.

• Options

Darrell, Congratulations on your nice run of plus grades!!!
    Jeff, I don't see the distraction, especially on an original VF. Don't mess with it.

Pix for tonight, courtesy Vern, PCGS AU-50

• Options

Congrats Darrell, presumably they're all 58+ coins?

Tim- I don't have an opinion on the gunk on my coin either way. It is distracting, but it's also a part of history.

• Options

A toughie from the Srotag Collection, PCGS XF-40 & CAC. Pix courtesy Barberkeys...

• Options

A new raw Barber Quarter showed up at my mailbox a few days ago from Germany. It's likely rarer than the '01 S Quarter, but since there's not much interest in varieties, PCGS doesn't recognize it, and there were no mintage figures, it's not noticed.

The 1900 Type II OBV with the Type II REV is a very rare coin. I've been assembling a set of hub varieties for the 1900 Quarters; 4 varieties for each of the 3 mints. Here's the new arrival:

At first glance I thought the coin had a re-punched date. The last 2 digits in the date look doubled to the North. I took another photo with the extreme macro setup and discovered this:

I believe I was wrong- no doubling (probably). Photos can be deceptive!

I would guess this coin will grade VF something. I have found numerous examples in AG to G condition, but this is the highest grade example I've found looking for a year. I'm confident nicer examples exist, and I'm still in the hunt. But for now I'm happy with this example, believing it's rarer than the '01 S.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool Jeff! Certainly a rare combination of the earlier reverse of 1899 paired with the later obverse die of 1900 with the extra cartilage in the ear.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2021 3:57AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    A new raw Barber Quarter showed up at my mailbox a few days ago from Germany. It's likely rarer than the '01 S Quarter, but since there's not much interest in varieties, PCGS doesn't recognize it, and there were no mintage figures, it's not noticed.

The 1900 Type II OBV with the Type II REV is a very rare coin. I've been assembling a set of hub varieties for the 1900 Quarters; 4 varieties for each of the 3 mints. Here's the new arrival:

At first glance I thought the coin had a re-punched date. The last 2 digits in the date look doubled to the North. I took another photo with the extreme macro setup and discovered this:

I believe I was wrong- no doubling (probably). Photos can be deceptive!

I would guess this coin will grade VF something. I have found numerous examples in AG to G condition, but this is the highest grade example I've found looking for a year. I'm confident nicer examples exist, and I'm still in the hunt. But for now I'm happy with this example, believing it's rarer than the '01 S.

I totally agree Jeff, that is a rare hub variety. Glad you were able to locate it. Asking this solely from a learning perspective: Does the coin have a slight risk of a Details grade? the picture might be a bit deceptive in the lighter areas so it is hard to evaluate it fully on its merits - just curious about your in hand assessment. I am trying to learn how to better "read" a digital image. I see you have full vertical shield lines on the reverse... but the lower line below the LIBERTY headband is missing a little. VF30 to 35-ish. That 0 looks doubled but it isn't, however it looks like it slid south... weird... kind of like a recutting.

• Options

Speaking of stuff going on in the date, check out this 1908-D dime and look inside the loops of the 8:

• T

• Options

@paesan said:
    Lots of nice coins and interesting stories! Here's a perfect AU-50 CAC. I'd sell all my 58's for a set of 50's like this one.

Presuming Vern's pics are being portrayed, I put this coin of Lenny's onto my own macro camera set-up to compare lighting. I have been using special SANSI bulbs suggested by Jeff M. I like both resulting image sets of this coin.

• T

• Options

PCGS XF-45...

• Options

And a toughie from Srotag's collection, PC 45 CAC. Thanks for the pix, Vern!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Tim, I messed around with several types of lights, and settled on old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. You're taking some wonderful pics, Jeff did a good job of guiding us both.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Ah that 01o half. An old friend and one of the best strikes you can find on that date.
    Always loved that cute little cud at 10 o’clock on the reverse.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2021 5:13AM

Tim- who knows is my 1900 Quarter will straight grade. It flew "across the pond" from Germany; that might be considered cleaning.

• Options

It's listed on ebay like all his recent coins he's posted!

@dogwood said:
    Ah that 01o half. An old friend and one of the best strikes you can find on that date.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

I see it's there right along with two of yours Darrel.... they all look really nice!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@dogwood said:

So it is! I should have grabbed it a couple of years ago when it was up out of The Stash the first time.
    It would make a nice mate to it’s freshly graded cousin

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Hey Tim, I messed around with several types of lights, and settled on old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. You're taking some wonderful pics, Jeff did a good job of guiding us both.

I personally have never seen a picture I didn't like Vern from your lens over these past many years... even in the green dot days. Thanks for all you do in support of Lenny and everyone with your digital images! You are a very special person.

• Tim

• Options

@dogwood said:

@amwldcoin said:

@dogwood said:

So it is! I should have grabbed it a couple of years ago when it was up out of The Stash the first time.

Wow

• Options

@dogwood said:

@amwldcoin said:

@dogwood said:

Oohhh.... A nice 45! Was that a raw find or did it come out of another holder? Either way it's very nice and a TERRIBLY difficult coin to find.

• Options

One in my personal collection to throw Darrell off the scent....PC 63 and recently CAC'd

• Options

Nice dime!

• Options

A couple new Barbers arrived this week. Here's one of them, a raw 1912 Half:

The coin appears (to me) to have original surfaces and a nice strike. It might grade as high as a 64 if it weren't for the hit on the cheek.

Here's a 63 currently in my collection for comparison:

This was a raw pickup from about 3 years ago.

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, wholesome coin, nice surfaces!

• Options

Two from the Srotag collection PC 45 and 55, both CAC...

• Options

And one to throw off the hounds...PC-62 TDR FS-801

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 1:37PM

The hounds caught up:

Raw pickup a few years back.

• Options

Here’s another previously raw XF45 just back from grading, except on this one they miss-spelled XF45.

I’m joking, it is what it is.
    Tougher date than most. Happy to have it.

• Options

@dogwood said:
    Here’s another previously raw XF45 just back from grading, except on this one they miss-spelled XF45.

I’m joking, it is what it is.
    Tougher date than most. Happy to have it.

How in the world can that be VF35? No way.

• Options

1903-S in VF35 PCGS... can you tell the difference?

• T

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 10:55PM

Dogwood, you are flirtin' with 50 on your quarter. Gold bean that puppy. Cheek contact might give it a 45. Let me guess, the grading was done in the spring of 2017 or near there. I didn't look for the version of holder you have with that assessment.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Dogwood, you are flirtin' with 50 on your quarter. Gold bean that puppy. Cheek contact might give it a 45. Let me guess, the grading was done in the spring of 2017 or near there. I didn't look for the version of holder you have with that assessment.

Not 2017, but I remember that time frame well with the tightening on Barbers.

This grading was done just last week. Same group as the 97o half a few posts above- which was graded accurately I believe.
    This one, and an 07s quarter I’ll post here later, are shy of the mark in my opinion. But neither are big swings in value, just pride. B)

It could well be some cheek chatter, in addition to ample crust, that diminishes the desired state of preservation in The House’s valued opinion.

• Options

@dogwood that's a severely undergraded coin. If you don't send it to CAC send it in for reconsideration.

• Options

Here's a new addition to my Barber Quarter set, a1908D graded AU 58 by our hosts:

If one looks at the brow on Miss Liberty it looks like she has a tattoo. Upon closer inspection there are small regular depressions up there:

Although some might argue this is PMD, it looks like multiple small objects were struck through to me. I'm guessing the graders at PCGS saw these depressions and did not consider them to be PMD.

Opinions on what caused this aberration?

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Although some might argue this is PMD, it looks like multiple small objects were struck through to me. I'm guessing the graders at PCGS saw these depressions and did not consider them to be PMD.

Opinions on what caused this aberration?

I thought PMD when I first viewed but it has toned to match the rest of the obverse. Tattoo or a piercing of the eyebrow.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

ANACS 61. Not sure I agree...

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, wow, I don't know. It looks odd. A couple of points for consideration. The field in front of the forehead has a similar mark. I expect it is related to the forehead marks. Also, the area in front of the eye is interesting in context here. Is that mark incuse?

• Options

All of the marks on the forehead and field are incuse. The depressions (there are 2 that I see) in the field are not nearly as pronounced as the ones on the forehead. It's quite puzzling, but I feel quite confident it's a struck through error and not PMD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file