Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

Comments

• Options
    beachbumcollectingbeachbumcollecting Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:24AM

@Rofles said:

Nope. I saw the BST post. He was adamant about driving to BBCE for authentication on a Monday. Steve Hart prohibited from bidding (huge red flag), Steve hart deeming packs re sealed (🚩🚩🚩)
    And now he’s selling KNOWN re sealed packs on eBay.
    B/S/T Thread taken down, bc he knows nobody here will buy those from him.

Plenty of opportunity to defend himself here. Where is he? Crickets.
    I’m all for innocent until proven guilty, but these are FACTS.

not the facts , they were listed on and taken off ebay on monday.
    steve being prohibited is a red flag but I am pretty sure not many knew that before the auction.

the ebay listings were listed before he went to bbcexchange (if he was able to get an answer from steve) and were then taken down. I did not see the b/s/t board. my point is that everyone keeps saying he was selling the items AFTER he was told by steve that they were bad without any disclosure. If true then that is scum, I haven't seen that yet.

AGAIN I AM NOT CONDONING SELLING BAD PACKS BECAUSE I AM SURE THAT IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT COMMENT

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Rofles said:

Nope. I saw the BST post. He was adamant about driving to BBCE for authentication on a Monday. Steve Hart prohibited from bidding (huge red flag), Steve hart deeming packs re sealed (🚩🚩🚩)

steve being prohibited is a red flag but I am pretty sure not many knew that before the auction.

the ebay listings were listed before he went to bbcexchange (if he was able to get an answer from steve) and were then taken down. I did not see the b/s/t board. my point is that everyone keeps saying he was selling the items AFTER he was told by steve that they were bad without any disclosure. If true then that is scum, I haven't seen that yet.

AGAIN I AM NOT CONDONING SELLING BAD PACKS BECAUSE I AM SURE THAT IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT COMMENT

so we didnt miss that part about what you would do personally, though, right?

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I just don't understand why he has not told his story on here. I think that will put this all to rest. The silence does him no good whatsoever.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:
    Why was Gaspipe in such a hurry to sell them to begin with ? A guy who grades a zillion cards does not authenticate the boxes before selling? This is not good. If there is a reason for all of this.....the pitchforks may not be in hand; but they are in sight. And the sound of crickets is never good. Never ever ever good and makes an explanation that much harder even if legit.

Let's see , maybe because he probably spent a ton of money , a lot more than he expected, because the "deals" were too good to pass.

as for crickets, I don't know what he spent but if he has as much coin tied up as it looks like in bad product. keeping his mouth shut until there is a resolution also makes the most sense.

I am not singling out the poster but just pointing out a few ideas to the board. everyone acts like they have been in this position before and knows what gaspipe should do. I am sure some of you have spent tons of money on cards and mortgaged your houses at times to buy cards but most of you have not been in his situation before so don't act like you know exactly what he should be doing. There could be something not cool going on but take a breather and think of both sides. The items are not being offered up, at least publicly, at the moment so there is no reason for him to come on here and say I spent a quarter mill on bogus stuff. What does that accomplish? The board has already determined that for him. He has the most leverage to fight the mike and ike auction company at this early stage by keeping his mouth shut, not by pi$$ing on them publicly

objection.

cmon now. im sure he’s a close friend but seriously? theres plenty he could say w/o jeopardizing any position against mike & ike. in fact if it were me, you couldnt stop me from chastising ol mike & ike, confirming the junk AND warning fellow collectors. there is no consequence on his end.

your defense case does not hold merit.

I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway.

exactly. did i miss that part from him?

Ummmmmmmmmm. No doubt. Also Beachbum saying the packs looking legit when somenone said they were driving the boxes to BBCE is irrelevant. Sounds all whacky to me. Everyone knows...everyone...I repeat everyone knows that vintage boxes have to be authenticated by Steve "the Hitman " Hart. In case anyone missed it.....vintage has to be authenticated by Steve. Everyone in the hobby knows this.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Rofles said:

what is that supposed to mean my friend? I would have called you up, bought you a filet and a couple bottles of wine, then asked you to wire me a million dollars for the mystery package in my trunk that I would assure you would be worth more than you paid at sometime in the next 1000 years ;)

• Options

When I find a raw run of 52 high numbers in NM-MT-MT incredible condition......guess how many I'm going to sell quickly before authentication???

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@Rofles said:

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:
    Why was Gaspipe in such a hurry to sell them to begin with ? A guy who grades a zillion cards does not authenticate the boxes before selling? This is not good. If there is a reason for all of this.....the pitchforks may not be in hand; but they are in sight. And the sound of crickets is never good. Never ever ever good and makes an explanation that much harder even if legit.

Let's see , maybe because he probably spent a ton of money , a lot more than he expected, because the "deals" were too good to pass.

as for crickets, I don't know what he spent but if he has as much coin tied up as it looks like in bad product. keeping his mouth shut until there is a resolution also makes the most sense.

I am not singling out the poster but just pointing out a few ideas to the board. everyone acts like they have been in this position before and knows what gaspipe should do. I am sure some of you have spent tons of money on cards and mortgaged your houses at times to buy cards but most of you have not been in his situation before so don't act like you know exactly what he should be doing. There could be something not cool going on but take a breather and think of both sides. The items are not being offered up, at least publicly, at the moment so there is no reason for him to come on here and say I spent a quarter mill on bogus stuff. What does that accomplish? The board has already determined that for him. He has the most leverage to fight the mike and ike auction company at this early stage by keeping his mouth shut, not by pi$$ing on them publicly

objection.

cmon now. im sure he’s a close friend but seriously? theres plenty he could say w/o jeopardizing any position against mike & ike. in fact if it were me, you couldnt stop me from chastising ol mike & ike, confirming the junk AND warning fellow collectors. there is no consequence on his end.

I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway.

Ummmmmmmmmm. No doubt. Also Beachbum saying the packs looking legit when somenone said they were driving the boxes to BBCE is irrelevant. Sounds all whacky to me. Everyone knows...everyone...I repeat everyone knows that vintage boxes have to be authenticated by Steve "the Hitman " Hart. In case anyone missed it.....vintage has to be authenticated by Steve. Everyone in the hobby knows this.

it's posts like this that make me hate when we cant hit "lol" and "like". i ultimately went w/ like, but it made me laugh too! (in a good way)

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Rofles said:

what is that supposed to mean my friend? I would have called you up, bought you a filet and a couple bottles of wine, then asked you to wire me a million dollars for the mystery package in my trunk that I would assure you would be worth more than you paid at sometime in the next 1000 years ;)

read back thru the last few posts. it's a simple yes or no question.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 6:36AM

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

objection.

"I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway."

for your ease. did we miss the part where he posted exactly what YOU, me or anyone else on the board would do?

yes or no?

• Options

I gotta go. I'm meeting Sy before the barge sets sail to purchase some boxes. Nice group of unopened...so I've been told. LOL.

• Options

"The Sound of Silence" is playing in the background.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:53AM

When he had them listed on the BST boards.. He showed that a 1970 Super FB box sold. Did anyone here buy that box?

• Options

time to move on, good luck and hope this works out for you all

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Gaspipe still has the boxes currently listed on eBay. There are two likely reasons for the silence. One would be legal reasons or maybe he is trying to figure out what to say. If it is the latter... how bout telling the truth to a forum he has been a part of for 20 years?

• Options

looks like he put the boxes back up last night. > @Dgofwinter said:

Gaspipe still has the boxes currently listed on eBay. There are two likely reasons for the silence. One would be legal reasons or maybe he is trying to figure out what to say. If it is the latter... how bout telling the truth to a forum he has been a part of for 20 years?

looks like he put the boxes back up last night. that changes things. knowing that, he clearly should speak up otherwise he is looking shady

• Options

welcome back.

• Options

Maybe Gaspipe is really Keyser Soze but secretly sells baseball cards.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another update I'm communicating based on BBCE inspection:

18 more boxes from this auction were inspected today and they are all no good. Not even close. This batch is even worse than the one 2 days ago.

Everything is 100% homemade. All the OPC boxes that are “tape intact” are indeed tape intact, just not OPC tape! I cut those open and they are just garbage.

• Options

0 for 28 boxes. Odds are not looking good.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

18 more boxes from this auction were inspected today and they are all no good. Not even close. This batch is even worse than the one 2 days ago.

Everything is 100% homemade. All the OPC boxes that are “tape intact” are indeed tape intact, just not OPC tape! I cut those open and they are just garbage.

Holy crap!

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Wow. 0-18 on the inspection from BBCE today. This is looking like a legal nightmare for the auction house, and all the buyers, initial and second hand, and etc.

• Options

Plus another 10 so 28 boxes

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope whoever bought that 1970 supers box sees this thread. This is an absolute disaster. At this point, none of these boxes or packs should be listed for sale.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

WOW. This is a real eye opener for me. I honestly never thought someone could have that much material to reseal that amount of stuff. And a lot of the boxes/wrappers were in great shape. I always look at scammers/resealers as small potatoes. Someone who has a box, or a pack etc, and dumps it off on an unknowledgeable buyer. This is robbing a bank level stuff.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, this seems odd. You would think the original owner would sell these one box at a time on ebay to stay under the radar. We obviously don't know the whole story yet.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

And now it’s a pyramid scheme

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, we haven't heard from Gary in quite some time.

This isn't like stiffing someone on a $500 Acuna rookie. One million dollars in unopened going across state lines is going to set off some alarms. I would be scared shirtless if I were Gaspipe trying to push that stuff back on someone else. There are few things DAs love more than victim restitution.

But more importantly, why completely flush your reputation down the toilet when you know you're not going to be successful anyway? Just a matter of time before his buyers come right back on him and then what does he say? "I'd like to return these to the AH. Yes, I knew they were resealed garbage when they were in my possession and I turned around and sold them, only to have them returned to me, so now I'd like to return them to you."

Just a murderer's row of horrible decisions.

Arthur

• Options

@gemint said:

what about sealed cases? have any of those been presented or have they all just been loose boxes?

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 9:31AM

It’s easy to fake a case. You just open it carefully and glue it shut. So I have a theory

• Options

@handyman said:
    It’s easy to fake a case. You just open it carefully and glue it shut. So I have a theory

not ones w tape.

• Options

Same with tape you can peel it of carefully and then glue it back. Ask Steve

• Options

@handyman said:

again, i know what can be done. and not what i asked. do you have any input on whether or not any of the cases have came back bad. i would like to know.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 9:52AM

@handyman said:

but, you certainly can, but it's not near as easy as your one sentence implies. it's way more intricate and revealing then opening non-taped flaps and regluing them. but even then that's pretty easy to detect the cardboard creases from being opened.

• Options

Haven’t looked at any yet but all I said was I have a theory no claims though.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 11:29AM

No proof. But I only looked at the first case I pulled up and it was a 1987 Traded case.https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0629-1987-topps-traded-baseball-case-100-sets/?v=7516fd43adaa

Tape does not match this one on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184699120732?hash=item2b00ecec5c:g:jX0AAOSwutRgRRMt

They look like 2 different types of tape. The one on ebay is not just vertical lines(the lines in the tape itself) but also horizontal. The one from the auction house is only vertical. Also looks like new tape(similar but not topps issue) replaced the old tape.

Only one I looked at but it gives me question. Im guessing many are in question just after looking at the first one that came up.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

yup. Still up for sale

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lawyer up!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    No proof. But I only looked at the first case I pulled up and it was a 1987 Traded case.https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0629-1987-topps-traded-baseball-case-100-sets/?v=7516fd43adaa

If you right click on your mouse and open in new tab you can see the images full size.

• Options

Yeah looks like modern packaging tape from UPS.
    Not topps. Just my opinion I am not an expert.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Good Day,

Well if he won't answer here, somebody should try this! Contact him through one of his listings, randomly, and ask him if you buy one of his Boxes would he ship it straight to BBCE for Authentication? I have BBCE address as one of my E-Bay Ship to address's. See what he answers, although I am sure he is reading this and will not answer and block you!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

yes, entirely different tape is an obvious red flag. but its hard to produce vintage and aged looking topps factory tape. not saying it cant be done, just saying thats way more detailed than regluing flaps. anyways, we are on the same team here. arguing about nothing. :)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Well, we haven't heard from Gary in quite some time.

This isn't like stiffing someone on a $500 Acuna rookie. One million dollars in unopened going across state lines is going to set off some alarms. I would be scared shirtless if I were Gaspipe trying to push that stuff back on someone else. There are few things DAs love more than victim restitution.

But more importantly, why completely flush your reputation down the toilet when you know you're not going to be successful anyway? Just a matter of time before his buyers come right back on him and then what does he say? "I'd like to return these to the AH. Yes, I knew they were resealed garbage when they were in my possession and I turned around and sold them, only to have them returned to me, so now I'd like to return them to you."

Just a murderer's row of horrible decisions.

Arthur

Maybe a chance at retiring early is more important to him than his reputation. Or maybe he has made a big financial mistake and doesn't see any other way out of it. I am in no way supporting what could or is being done but if he never responds to this thread he can always plead ignorance in a court of law.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

yea, that tape job is the funniest thing i have ever seen!

drives home the point why this obscure auction house was chosen. any reputable or even non-reputable one woulda laughed at that consignment. i think probstein might even reject that case!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought a few cards from gaspipe over the years and have never had any issues. The ‘61 Uncle Jimmy set he bought was gorgeous and I am lucky to have a card I bought from it in my collection. I have always enjoyed negotiating with him even when we could not come to a deal.

Assuming these are not legitimate - he is for sure a victim of fraud. Many were taken advantage of - including him. It really sucks to spend 10s of thousands of dollars and not get what you paid for. He definitely did not deserve this to happen. The resealer is the most guilty - the auction house also bears quite a bit of responsibility. The consigner may have been duped but likely is responsible as well. Hopefully authorities get involved and they are able to trace this back to the person who resealed these packs. That person should be be given prison time for sure.

I imagine how I would feel seeing some of my cards in a BODA thread and know I got taken. Would definitely give me a sick feeling. But I would not turn around and list it or consign it - I would try to get my money back and loudly tell anyone who would listen what had happened to warn others. Odds are many of us have something in our collection that was altered and graded. We just don’t know it.

If he did indeed drive them to Steve and is listing them after Steve says they are bad - then I will be finished buying from him. If he makes it right by taking them down and refunding the sales I will still be a customer. Was going to defend him when they were taken down - but now that they are back up it seems like he is trying to take advantage of others.

In my opinion when you are a victim of fraud - it is your duty to take the consequences - not pass them on to somebody else. Otherwise you are committing fraud and are no better than the auction house and only marginally better than the resealer.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 12:16PM

I think they save the salvaged vintage tape for the higher dollar items is my guess

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

I have no opinion on legitimacy of any of this just pointing out what I see in the image.

I see two types of tape on this case. If you look at where the arrow is pointing there appears to be clear tape going under the flap.