Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I adore many of the medallic, coinage and token issues of Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island. However, I don't own many pieces. We must have some cool things from members of this board. It might be nice to share images with one another.

To start, here is some circulated coinage I picked up at bullion a few years ago...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 5:21PM

I used to own a complete set of PEI coin. I also like NFLD 50c pieces.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful run of Canadian Dollars. While the first four can be found in an attractive state, I think most here would be surprised as to the difficulty in finding the next four that look like this. Well done-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! This is great. Thank you very much to all who have added images and information thus far.

The number of wonderful dollar coins is far more than I had anticipated at this point. The Parliament dollar is always one that I liked very much and I sold a really nice example of this issue last year, which leaves me with none at the moment.

I feel compelled to put a couple comments down about two coins. The first is toward Clio's twenty-cent piece and I think it is a beautiful, original example of the issue. Over the years I have tossed about putting together a set of these and someday I may cross the bridge. Also, coinkat's Edward VII quarter is really attractive and not messed with. It is my opinion that the central obverse of this issue has a rather high relief profile when compared with the detail elements within the central profile such that there really isn't much there to look at and, as a consequence, these can be devilishly difficult to grade in the AU-MS range.

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Here is a Newfoundland Edward VII half in MS that really shows how little detail is in the central obverse region-

Stunning example. I have been on the lookout for a 1917 25 Cent. Seems I will have to see about assembling a type set of sorts of the quaters/20c. Great series.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1904 NF 50Cents...easily very close to if not GEM. Now... imagine if it were a Canadian 1904 that looked like that. All one can see is $$$$

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Great countermark cent!

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 4:42PM

As always, Rob ... your examples are things to adore and dream about. Even I, who doesn't do "bright and shiny", have to let out a little gasp when I see them.

@TomB said:
    Here is another Newfoundland fifty-cents. I just love these things, but I don't find that there are many others who share my passion for them-

Surely anyone with a passion for nice coins would appreciate. Very impressive examples. I was actually reviewing your site and saw your 1874-H Victoria Quarter! Very nice example. You have dabbled in some nice Canadian & Provincial coinage.

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Wow! That Vicky is nuts!

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 8:01PM

@bosox said:
    This one has been posted here before. Ex. Landon. ICCS MS-67 Red, PCGS MS-66+ Red. Perhaps the finest Victorian cent still in existence. The nicest of the Landon cents, of which a great many were very nice.

@TomB said:
    Wow! That Vicky is nuts!

Agreed!!
    I’ve got to start hunting for Victorian cents.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
    edited January 27, 2021 9:23AM

Bump

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody has better CAN large cents than Bosox!!!
    his are simply said
    STUNNING!!!! :p

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@GotTheBug said:

Absolutely stunning pieces. I especially like your 20 Cent. May I ask the grade?

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:

@GotTheBug said:

Absolutely stunning pieces. I especially like your 20 Cent. May I ask the grade?

Thanks! The Twenty Cents is graded PCGS MS62, with the old green label. The 5 is re-engraved and there are numerous die clashes on both sides, which are especially visible on the reverse.

Ironically, I was getting ready to being selling off my collection to help fund my pending retirement, but I find that I can't bring myself to do it, at least not with my certified stuff. Too many good memories of scouring shows, eBay, dealer websites and horsetrading with like-minded collectors. I guess I'll put it off a while longer....

@YQQ said:
    Here is one even a bit more scarcer.!

Mine is only a G06 and is not much to look at. It wore heavily in the center on the obverse at the date, but it did cross over from ICCS to PCGS at the same grade. I had always intended at upgrading it but another suitable piece never came along, and I suppose I was quite fortunate to find this one, such as it is.

What I really like are Newfoundland fifty cents, and I used to have nearly all of the Victorian series in grades VF35 to EF45, but I traded most of them away to obtain the above-posted 1917 fifty cents in MS64. Victorian Newfound halves used to sell for inexpensive money, but I think that they have become much more popular in the last 5 years or so. Tom B may have something to do with that, having posted some real beauties over the years.

Thank you @brg5658, @GotTheBug and @YQQ for reviving this thread with such a tremendous variety of pieces! I love these coins and tokens and it always amazes me that they don't appear to elicit more interest in the greater community.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob, I wonder why the obv is so "speckled"?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some impressive coins here.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

Some is dust on the holder, some is discoloration on the coin, cause likely storage over the years..

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Beautiful coins, Clio! That 1888 20-cent is really special.

• TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Nice round 3 dime. I sold mine last year. Is that a vg8?

@TR said:
    Nice round 3 dime. I sold mine last year. Is that a vg8?

VG10, PCGS