Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

@WorldGold - Nice specimen 1858 cent.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

am just curious, is this your coin?
    this is one fantastic sample of beauty.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful pieces being posted to this thread. This is terrific.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy I found this thread. I have a few I need to get much better images of, but here is what I have on hand.

I would be interested to hear if any of these are noteworthy.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

A copper as well.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

I love Newfoundland coinage! The 1940-C five-cents is a slightly better date in AU. The two half dollars would both be considered "generics" for their series and their values would contain a premium on top of, but still tied tightly to, bullion.

• Options

And then, the medals. Numismatic medals . . .

Z

• Options

• Options

@WorldGold said:
    1858 Cent

Hello,
    is this your coin? do you own it? did you take the pictures?

• Options

I think it's pretty dang special. It is beautiful.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful wood grain surfaces. I enjoyed enlarging the picture and examining that toning.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I think it's pretty dang special. It is beautiful.

Hey Tom,

No, absolutely love the coin!!! I was speaking about the cert number, four consecutive zeroes along with a 2,3,4 and 5 (but out of order). :D:D:D Just something my OCD mind would notice!!!

Great thread by the way!!!

Take care,

Jeff

• Options

That 1919 cent is cool. It reminds me of something hidden behind a veil. I like that look a lot.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Just arrived. VF25

Nice original coin!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

here is one that has a lot going for itself:
    NFL Rep Date (full) and it is a Woody, and a decent grade, I think. :)

• Options

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:
    Just arrived. VF25

Nice original coin!

It has some light abrasion and hairlines suggesting it had been lightly scuffed or wiped. That may have dropped the grade a level or two as a result.

I'm having trouble figuring out the grading for these coins. Coins with similar surface wear can be several grades apart and likewise, a particular grade will show considerable variation in surface wear. I need to hit a coin show or two and talk to people who deal or collect these Victorian Newfoundland halves.

• Options

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:
    Just arrived. VF25

Nice original coin!

It has some light abrasion and hairlines suggesting it had been lightly scuffed or wiped. That may have dropped the grade a level or two as a result.

I'm having trouble figuring out the grading for these coins. Coins with similar surface wear can be several grades apart and likewise, a particular grade will show considerable variation in surface wear. I need to hit a coin show or two and talk to people who deal or collect these Victorian Newfoundland halves.

I believe I know what you mean with respect to grading. It seems that in many ways the situation is similar to grading US Barber half dollars in the same grade range. This may read very odd (heck, it may even be very odd) but I used to get frustrated by how TPGs graded circulated Barber half dollars until I had seen enough of them that my own version of the grading scale was in my head and I would just grade them automatically. Please note that "my own version" wasn't based upon some fantasy, but was simply derived from looking at scads of coins until I knew immediately what it is I wanted at each grade level with respect to how they were graded by the TPGs.

I'm not at that level yet with Newfoundland pieces, but a goal of mine is to get that comfortable with these coins.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2021 2:59PM

@TomB said:

I believe I know what you mean with respect to grading. It seems that in many ways the situation is similar to grading US Barber half dollars in the same grade range. This may read very odd (heck, it may even be very odd) but I used to get frustrated by how TPGs graded circulated Barber half dollars until I had seen enough of them that my own version of the grading scale was in my head and I would just grade them automatically. Please note that "my own version" wasn't based upon some fantasy, but was simply derived from looking at scads of coins until I knew immediately what it is I wanted at each grade level with respect to how they were graded by the TPGs.

I'm not at that level yet with Newfoundland pieces, but a goal of mine is to get that comfortable with these coins.

Exactly, TomB! I do the same as well with coin grading, developing my own cues for grading that best fit conservative TPG grading standards.

This reminds me of my insect taxonomic work with pupal exuviae where the distinction between intraspecific and interspecific variation within a large genus isn't clear until you look at enough material and then voila! - it all falls into place in your mind.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya on Barber Halves! I remember back in the day when folks tried to pull the old B+D drawings as a grading guide on me demanding every letter of Liberty had to be clear to grade F. It is an extremely rare Barber Half that has a clear Liberty where all the rest of the details of the coin are F, They usually meet the standards of VF! The only exception to this are those dated 1909.

@TomB said:

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:
    Just arrived. VF25

Nice original coin!

• Options

Barry Borseliono is a undisputed expert in NFL coins.
    he wrote a book (unpublished) as far as I know. the book is all about NFL coins and its varieties.
    if anyone wants his email please PM me.

• Options

Thank you!

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    A work in progress...

Awesome little set there! Are you editing those photos in place?? Or are they cracked out. Beautiful examples the lot of em.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2021 4:40AM

I really like the Canadian issues. Since I prefer to scan my collection some of them don't show that well, but here's some anyway.

I actually found the 1946 cent in circulation here in New York about a dozen years ago.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

TomB
    nice, really nice. I HAD one of these with the NFL $2 gold complete.
    But, someone wanted it badly....

• Options

@Clio said:

@TomB said:
    A work in progress...

Awesome little set there! Are you editing those photos in place?? Or are they cracked out. Beautiful examples the lot of em.

I own the coins, but the image has been edited to drop the coins into the holder.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@Clio said:

@TomB said:
    A work in progress...

I own the coins, but the image has been edited to drop the coins into the holder.

I like it. Nice way of displaying them :)

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone read or heard of this book ?

Hardcover first edition 288 pages interesting published by a coin club !

https://www.icollector.com/Gilboy-Aspects-of-the-Numismatics-of-North-America_i30112333

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Never heard of it, but I agree it sounds interesting.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Never heard of it, but I agree it sounds interesting.

Says it’s mostly about Canadian coinage

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I found an extremely short review written by the PEI Numismatic Association in 2000-

https://www.angelfire.com/art/peina/Newsletters/apr2000.html

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I found an extremely short review written by the PEI Numismatic Association in 2000-

https://www.angelfire.com/art/peina/Newsletters/apr2000.html

Here is the Table of Contents page.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thank you, @1960NYGiants.

• Options

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Is the 9 R/P'd on the tail knob?

• Options

@syl said:
    Is the 9 R/P'd on the tail knob?

Unfortunately not. Here's a close-up shot of the date.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2021 6:04PM

@TomB That's a beauty! What's the grade?

• Options

Thank you! The coin is graded AU58.