Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great image of the Upper Canada token on the map!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

@rwyarmch said:
    QCCoinGuy, now having seen the images of your beautiful PC-1B3 halfpenny, I think my piece (slabbed PC-1B4) is another PC-1B3.

That's a beauty! And I think you're right about the attribution.

• Options
    TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Nice. Mine had a strong 3 like yours. Was a PCGS G6. Most 1893 RT dimes seem to have a mushy 3. You have some nice Canadians.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 12:04AM

Not a great coin-poor photos on my part. The date is more readable in hand.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 1:10AM

I bought the Norweb trio of Specimen 1875-H (Heaton Mint) 5c in SP-67, 10c in SP-65 and 25c in SP-67 over 25 years ago in PCGS/ ICCS SP-65 and SP-67 but misplaced my pictures.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:
    I picked up this coin 6 years ago, for no other reason than that I liked it. I don’t generally go for “MS61” graded coins, but I can’t honestly say I care much about that grade in this case.

A good looking 61 if I ever saw one.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

man, you must have first crack on all HB tokens.....
    nice stuff... and hard to find, even for high $$$$.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Great topic! I just started getting into Newfy halves and Canadian halves and dollars recently. They're beautiful, rare, and inexpensive in modest grades! I sure wish Dansco was back producing albums for Canadian dollars and halves, blank pages as well as printed albums.

Beautiful examples! These conditions are closer to where my wallet can afford haha. Really awesome coins. I need more!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

I am saying this for 2 decades now:
    one morning you get out of bed, sit and have a nice breakfast.
    And the coin forums announce that NFL coins have tripled in Value.
    The world has finally realized that these, and other Canadian coins, are bargains .
    Mintages are some of the very lowest. Just look at the NFL $2 gold series....
    If NFL would be a US State, these coins would be valued at least 3x as they are now.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 5:43PM

H ... I had to read your post 3 times before I knew that you were talking about Newfoundland and not professional football.

• Options

Syl,
    you are too funny..... not a football fan at all..
    I too had to think for a second what u said.
    good joke for Sunday AM and minus 6 degrees...and a super sunrise.
    have a good one..
    H

• Options

Very nice Canadian coins.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin @Clio!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

here is a "sort of younger" dark side nickel.
    Many Canadian Nickels were used way back in the hand operated mechanical parking meters.
    often the friction inside the meters caused the coins to be scratched when you turned to handle.
    This why u can find a serious lot of diagonally scratched Canadian Nickels.
    This nickel has also striations from the denticles to the inside, on the reverse from the left towards the center.

• Options

I love the coins and tokens! Also, that envelope for the Vicky 25-cent is outstanding!

• Options

@TomB said:
    Similar to YQQ's thoughts (though I keep wanting to refer to you as YYZ), if these were produced in the US the prices would be extraordinary. Here is a Newfoundland specimen cent with a total PCGS population of three coins (one in BN and two in RB). My coin is the only certified BN coin and is tied for highest graded overall.

That's a gorgeous cent! I picked up another Canadian coin today actually with a mintage of around 50,000. I'll be sure to share that one when it arrives.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

Wow! I have 2 of the old fountain/quill pen coin envelopes as well ... an 1876 and an 1859. I love the penmanship/script and I thought that I was the only one to have anything like that. I think that I got them on Ebay from the same seller, about 6-7 years ago. I've tried to find a way, even through PCGS or elsewhere to have a 2-coin plastic holder for side-by-side, where one side would be the envelope and one for the coin. I think that the envelopes, in my case, to be worth more than the common coins.

• Options

@syl said:
    Wow! I have 2 of the old fountain/quill pen coin envelopes as well ... an 1876 and an 1859. I love the penmanship/script and I thought that I was the only one to have anything like that. I think that I got them on Ebay from the same seller, about 6-7 years ago. I've tried to find a way, even through PCGS or elsewhere to have a 2-coin plastic holder for side-by-side, where one side would be the envelope and one for the coin. I think that the envelopes, in my case, to be worth more than the common coins.

It would be great if PCGS decided to do something like that. Do you have photos of your coins and flips? I’d love to see them.

• Options

I got a new computer and it has no disc input, so I no longer can use my microscope that I always took photos with. I'll see if the wife can take a photo and I'll post them here. It sure looks like the same hand did the two envelopes before in this thread.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 9:42AM

very interesting history
    I have a similar coin envelope with a note from a very well known Numismat.
    Although the handwriting on mine is not even near like yours.
    Yours is a piece of art.
    very nice.

• Options

That's a beautiful five-cents!

• Options

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1933 is a great example of eight strong beads, excellent strike.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2021 2:56PM

Ok guys (and Gals?)
    I have decided to make this Coin envelope I have sort of a contest.
    About 12-15 years ago I purchased an 1871 PEI 1 cent coin from this Gentleman, a well-known Canadian Numismat.
    The 1871 1 cent is the only coin that was ever issued by PEI. (Prince Edward Islands)
    The 1cent coin came in the envelope pictured below.
    HOWEVER, to the best of my knowledge, the seller was not correct with his descriptions of the 1871 cent coin inside the envelope, even though at a first glance it sure looked like it. Once the Vicky-Grudd was removed, it was clear that it was a V and not an inverted A.
    Little did he know that a few years later exactly the Variety he described on the envelope, an inverted A, was discovered on a few Canada Quarters 1872 quarters and 50 cent coins, and the 1880 quarter. This variety is now recognized and pricy. However, I am not aware of it on any other Canadian or provincial coinage.

Who is this well known Canadian Numismat??
    Some of you might even personally know him.

The contest will end on March 04 at 18:00 hrs PST.
    The first correct answer posted will be the winner and will receive a nice Canadian coin from me in the mail.
    After the contest has closed, I will then post the other side of the envelope which has this Numismat's name and hometown on it, apparently all in his handwriting.
    Your answer must be definite and Guesses or maybe's or I think do not count
    Good luck to all.
    Here is the one side of the coin envelope.