Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 10:15AM

Wow...amazing color. Too bad it was not on the caribou side. What grade is it ?

Coin Junky...

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spirityoda1 said:
    Wow...amazing color. Too bad it was not on the caribou side. What grade is it ?

NGC says its a 65

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

I like it! Five Cent silvers are my favorite.

• Options

@GotTheBug said:

I like it! Five Cent silvers are my favorite.

Thanks!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Nice! Good pick up.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 7:34AM

erwindoc,
    I sense some skepticism about the 64 quarter being a 65?
    what happened to the Cariboo's eye?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    erwindoc,
    I sense some skepticism about the 64 quarter being a 65?
    what happened to the Cariboo's eye?

Perhaps. But Im not a pro.

• Options

Griffin shows a couple varieties where the 8 is lower and some digits minor doubling. It looks like this 8 is lower.

• Options

@Barberian said:
    I don't think I've posted this one yet. Roughly two months after I purchased a raw VF-35-ish 72H (shown earlier), I saw this coin and couldn't resist buying it as well.

Nothing wrong with buying duplicates if they are nice looking! I do it all the time.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:
    I don't think I've posted this one yet. Roughly two months after I purchased a raw VF-35-ish 72H (shown earlier), I saw this coin and couldn't resist buying it as well.

Nothing wrong with buying duplicates if they are nice looking! I do it all the time.

I'm well on my way to a second set without finishing the first set. For a while, I was buying what I liked before I realized I had a half dozen duplicates.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:

I'm well on my way to a second set without finishing the first set. For a while, I was buying what I liked before I realized I had a half dozen duplicates.

Haha, yeah we've all been there.

• Options

@syl said:
    Griffin shows a couple of varieties where the 8 is lower and some digits minor doubling. It looks like this 8 is lower.

Thanks Syl.
    on a closer look, you might be right

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:

Sounds like me with Barber half dollars years ago!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:

Sounds like me with Barber half dollars years ago!

I did the same with Barbers as well. I got frustrated with all the crappy, cleaned Barber halves I got off of eBay, and the ridiculous bidding wars for the nice coins that appeared, so I switched to Seated Liberty halves and circulated commemoratives. Now it's crunch time with both sets. The remaining ten or so SLH's are $$$, and the last four commemoratives are ugly, expensive, or hard to find in circulated grades. So I decided to have some fun with Canadian halves and dollars, looking for inexpensive toners while stacking some silver.

At that time I discovered low-mintage Newfoundland halves and the challenge of finding nice specimens amidst the sea of cleaned and beat-up coins available. In my mind, the average Newfy half reflects the hard life of Newfoundlanders - beat-up, scratched, cleaned, and often punched with sharp objects. They're neat coins with no stopper in the set unless one collects uncirculated grades.

• Options

Strike through on the reverse.

• Options

That's a pretty cool strikethrough!

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<3 it!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thank you for posting, @Kyle! I thought I killed the thread... :(

• Options

Hard to follow up such a nice coin!

• Options

congrats Gene
    these are hard to find, never mind toget!!
    H

• Options

@chini said:
    ** Couple Canadian Beavers**

A friend of mine is still flying his. he had it painted Fire engine red.
    what a machine. the work horse of the Canadian north. :o
    he keeps it at a dock at YQQ in the summer and in his hangar in the winter.
    it is quite a tourist attraction in the summer.

• Options

Thank you @YQQ
    @chini here is mine:

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    Thank you @YQQ
    @chini here is mine:

Awesome coin 1960NYGiants! I guess I’ll have to pick one more up in the future and go for the turkey.

I adore aviation on coins, I just wish the RCM came out with some more gold, I haven’t collected much modern silver out of fear for milk spots.

Here’s another; I’ve logged about 1500hours on the DH8.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given how scarce these are in this thread, I can only conclude that these are the rarest of the rare . . . . . . .

I find these Canadian tokens quite fetching. The design quality is significantly above that required for the original purpose. What I find most intriguing about these is the amazing colors they develop in the toning. I tried to capture them but my photog skills aren't the best.

So far I have managed to acquire about half of the set. I find these quite beautiful and thought I would share.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister those are nicely toned, not often seen that way. These are Shell gas station tokens and generally common individually (found in dealers' junk boxes). Finding a nice set in the original cardboard holder is a challenge.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

Very Nice @bidask!

• Options

Pretty darn scarce to find a Vicky that looks like that, @bidask!

• Options

I wouldn't mind owning either of those! Of course, that will never happen...

• Options

TomB
    all you need to do is write a check!!!

• Options
    edited September 6, 2021 11:52PM

@Barberian said:
    Two nice Newfoundland halves from the Saskatoon Coin Club website. Wow!
    http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/35n_nl_50-cent_coins.html#nl-50c-1898-1s

Just a note in case people don't know, that website is a great resource for grading guides (think PCGS photograde) and variety attribution reference photos! Definitely worth bookmarking if you haven't already.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2021 1:26AM

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:
    Two nice Newfoundland halves from the Saskatoon Coin Club website. Wow!
    http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/35n_nl_50-cent_coins.html#nl-50c-1898-1s

Just a note in case people don't know, that website is a great resource for grading guides (think PCGS photograde) and variety attribution reference photos! Definitely worth bookmarking if you haven't already.

Big Thanks! I have struggled with grading Newfoundland coins and have trouble finding photos of different varieties.

Just checked out the site. Nice but unfortunately, they don't have grading guides for Newfoundland coins. The Canadian grading guide is excellent, though.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    TomB
    all you need to do is write a check!!!

Not certain that even that would work in this case as both coins are in the fabulous Perth Collection, which features some of the most beautifully toned (and high grade) Newfoundland pieces that I have ever seen.

• Options

Wow! It's too early in the morning to deal with that glare. Great coin, Rob

• Options

@bosox! Holy Crud that's gorgeous!

• Options