Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭

@THKCollections - the catalogue you need for Canadian Municipal Trade Tokens is authored by Serge Pelletier.

The Embrun piece is catalogue # ON132, mintage of 10,000 in CuNi, and valued at $3CAD in UNC.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    @THKCollections - the catalogue you need for Canadian Municipal Trade Tokens is authored by Serge Pelletier.

The Embrun piece is catalogue # ON132, mintage of 10,000 in CuNi, and valued at $3CAD in UNC.

A MASSIVE thank you for the reference information. I'll add it to my list of books to pick up. I'm just starting out in Canadian municipal tokens and, as always, a great reference source is key!

Amateur, omnivorous numismatist with some focus on Canadian and US coins!
    Instagram account: thkcollections

• Options

Here is an old (1992) edition. With patience you can find one much cheaper. In the early 2000's he issued updated catalogues for individual Provinces. They are a little tougher to find. Try Richard Stockley Books out of Winnipeg.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324780652010?hash=item4b9e6f75ea:g:hCAAAOSwnbxgJxtm

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

For "The Record" . . . . I managed to find some interesting Canadian Tokens the past week . . . . .

Direct from Owen Sound, Ontario . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it, that’s a nice one @PCGSPhoto!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

As always, Kyle, you post great coins with excellent photography

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great coin.
    I believe it is under-graded by 2 points, compared with others the same grade
    And a question: looking at the rev 10:00 from the ear is this PMD or ????
    I checked 5 other high-grade MS, the same year, and none looks like that.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Thank you both!

Which spot exactly @YQQ? I'll take a closer look in hand.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

looking at it about 10:00 just below the band. it is not a spot it is sort of a rectangle aera
    maybe I see something which is not there.

• Options

Very few things will make your heart sink and stomach turn simultaneously, but these two coins that I found in a junk box that has been in our family for decades sure did it for me - especially the second one . . . . . .

Is there any "redeeming value" to either of these?

Z

• Options

Well, the first one is from a small caliber bullet .. maybe WWl? The second one is from a shotgun with pellets or just from someone practicing with a pellet gun or air pistol from pretty close range.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    looking at it about 10:00 just below the band. it is not a spot it is sort of a rectangle aera
    maybe I see something which is not there.

Nothing stands out to me in hand even when rotating it under some good lighting.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some tougher to find Canadian bars:

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I handled lots and lots of these 1912-1914 Canadian $5 and $10 coins back in 2013 when they were finally released by the RCM and the 1912 issues are by far the toughest to obtain. I realize these coins did not come from that group and were marketed as being from the GSA, so I don't know how often they were moved or sold or handled prior to the GSA salting them away, but the best of the RCM pieces had a wonderful hue or originality to the patina that was quite warm. I like them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of "show and tell", I'm asking for an opinion here. What do folks here think of this 1870 Newfoundland half? I like the overall look and toning but it appears as if it's been tooled on the upper neck and lower jaw near the braid, possibly to hide pitting. I'm also cautious about the black crud around the rim and lettering. I grade the wear at VF30-35, not sure the surfaces will support that grade. The coin is priced at around the VF20-25 level ($120).

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

I don't see any tooling. Looks like an original crusty silver coin. VF35. The black crud can be removed by acetone bath. Worth about $300 CAD or $240 USD.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

Like @1960NYGiants I don't see any signs of tooling on the coin. The wear looks to be consistent with what you might expect around this grade range. I like it as a VF-25. I found an ICCS VF-30 graded example online and figured I'd share that photo here to compare with (not my coin).

• Options
    edited December 13, 2021 2:53PM

@Kyle said:
    Like @1960NYGiants I don't see any signs of tooling on the coin. The wear looks to be consistent with what you might expect around this grade range. I like it as a VF-25. I found an ICCS VF-30 graded example online and figured I'd share that photo here to compare with (not my coin).

To me, that looks like an EF40 that's been gently cleaned in the past, with nice surfaces except for two scrapes and the light cleaning. I could see it being knocked down to VF35 or 30. However, I have trouble grading Newfy halves. The wear is comparable to EF40s and even EF45s I've seen in TPG holders.

I grade the coin in question as having VF 30-35 detail but with some light scratches and fine surface and rim porosity, perhaps from spending time in a corrosive environment such as a PVC plastic flip. Black crud around the rim is also a concern as I've had some experience removing it recently. Once removed, it can expose corroded surfaces. I net grade it to VF20-25. What attracts me to it is its natural-appearing toning that provides a nice contrast with the devices (the circ cameo look). What concerned me was the corrosion and what I saw as small depressions around the braid that looked like someone had tried to tap out some problem.

I write this without any presumption of expertise in grading. I view this is an opportunity to learn more about grading from experienced Canadian coin collectors.

• Options

Well, I was the sole bidder at the $119 opening price so I'll get a closer look at this coin in a week or so. Thank you 1960NYGiants and Kyle for offering your assessments of this coin.

• Options

Keep us posted @Barberian.

• Options

@Kyle said:
    Keep us posted @Barberian.

The coin looks natural, a little lighter than shown, and with golden-brown toning rather than the dark gray shown in the seller's photos. It looks like it was wiped from time to time and has very fine hairlines but no rashes of lines going in one direction suggestive of a cleaning. There is no problem with the neck region (no tooling). There is some light corrosion visible at 15X suggesting it may have been in a PVC flip for a while; the dark spot is a small patch of this corrosion. There's plenty of dirt and crud in the dentils and recesses, and I see no green PVC "emeralds" or other signs on the coin. I will dip it in acetone to make sure everything is stabilized.

Unfortunately, the reverse shows a patch of tiny, bright, fresh scratches between the 1 and 8 from a tiny sand grain or piece of glass inside the flip. Nothing too alarming, it's hardly noticeable in-hand and it should fade with time. Six months ago I accidentally put a rim scratch on a coin I had cherrypicked off of eBay when it hit the end of my fiber optic lighting. It was really bright and annoying at that time and I was kicking myself for it but has since toned down and is not so bad now.

All things considered, it should grade at around VF20-25 considering the issues mentioned. I like the overall look, I see no major problems, it fits well with my other Newfies, and therefore, I'll keep the coin.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2021 11:24PM

All things considered, it should grade at around VF20-25 considering the issues mentioned. I like the overall look, I see no major problems, it fits well with my other Newfies, and therefore, I'll keep the coin.

Glad to hear it @Barberian!

• Options
    edited December 19, 2021 12:13AM

Once rode high with the best. Now it's down with the rest.

I've shown this coin before in this thread. However, I stumbled onto past auction results that got me speculating on the reason for its fall from a shared top pop coin. It was originally part of the Sid and Alicia Belzberg collection as an MS65 (3/0) and sold by Heritage Auctions in January 2003 for $920. The Belzberg collection was a complete collection of Canadian coins, including the 1911 Canada dollar, once considered the most expensive coin in the world.

https://coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/canadian-1911-silver-dollar-brings-552-000-dollars-at-auction

The 2003 HA catalog stated: "1943 50 Cent Far 3 MS65 PCGS. Mottled cobalt-blue, steel-blue, and silver-gray toning over full luster. This piece is tied with two other coins for the finest certified by PCGS." - No mention of the gold, orange, and magenta toning.

It appeared next in the sale of the George Cook collection, another prominent collector of Canadian coins, along with the 1911 dollar mentioned above, in August 2019. My hunch is that it apparently had been cracked out for Trueviews and reholdered with the Cook pedigree added in preparation for this auction.

During reholdering, it properly dropped a grade to MS64, causing its value to plummet. It sold for only $132. Though I struggle a bit with grading Canadian coins, I believe the lower grade was warranted as the obverse had too many hits (not clearly visible in Trueview) to be a 'gem'. I saw the coin on eBay four months later, liked its toning in the Trueview glamor shot, and purchased the coin for a BIN of $275 Canadian or about $210 at that time. It's fun to speculate what it may have sold for had the Cook family kept the coin in the old holder with the Belzberg pedigree. Would bidders buy the holder again and not the coin?

• Options

@Barberian - Part of the reason for the downgrade was Mr. Cook did crack out many of the coins in his collection. Some were were cleaned and reholdered as "details" coins. Most generally received lower grades due to his handling of the coins. Many collectors of high grade Canadian pieces would not buy the holder or not pay a premium. I know of a few that resubmitted Cook coins to have the name removed from the label.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

I am sorry Kyle, I was mistaken.

• Options

Gene, you are 100% right.

• Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    @Barberian - Part of the reason for the downgrade was Mr. Cook did crack out many of the coins in his collection. Some were were cleaned and reholdered as "details" coins. Most generally received lower grades due to his handling of the coins. Many collectors of high grade Canadian pieces would not buy the holder or not pay a premium. I know of a few that resubmitted Cook coins to have the name removed from the label.

Aha! Now we know the rest of the story. That explains the overly dinged-up look for a coin that was graded gem 20 years ago.

Did he mess with the 1911 silver dollar as well? The two pictures I saw looked quite different in terms of the extent of toning, as if some of the toning had been wiped away.

• Options

@Barberian said:

@1960NYGiants said:

Aha! Now we know the rest of the story. That explains the overly dinged-up look for a coin that was graded gem 20 years ago.

Did he mess with the 1911 silver dollar as well? The two pictures I saw looked quite different in terms of the extent of toning, as if some of the toning had been wiped away.

Yes.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    I am sorry Kyle, I was mistaken.

Don’t sweat it.

• Options

@Kyle said:

I take my comments back. Though it has retoned nicely, it's been cleaned. More than just hairlines from wiping.

• Options

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

I take my comments back. Though it has retoned nicely, it's been cleaned. More than just hairlines from wiping.

That’s a shame. Was the cleaning more evident under good lighting?

• Options

1891 Large Leaves Large Date (LL LD) ICCS MS-62 RB

• Options

@Kyle said:

@Barberian said:

@Kyle said:

That’s a shame. Was the cleaning more evident under good lighting?

I don't know why I missed it earlier. Coin still has a nice original look but it "flashes" when rotated.

• Options

Happy New Year!

• Options

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Once rode high with the best. Now it's down with the rest.

I've shown this coin before in this thread. However, I stumbled onto past auction results that got me speculating on the reason for its fall from a shared top pop coin. It was originally part of the Sid and Alicia Belzberg collection as an MS65 (3/0) and sold by Heritage Auctions in January 2003 for $920. The Belzberg collection was a complete collection of Canadian coins, including the 1911 Canada dollar, once considered the most expensive coin in the world.

https://coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/canadian-1911-silver-dollar-brings-552-000-dollars-at-auction

The 2003 HA catalog stated: "1943 50 Cent Far 3 MS65 PCGS. Mottled cobalt-blue, steel-blue, and silver-gray toning over full luster. This piece is tied with two other coins for the finest certified by PCGS." - No mention of the gold, orange, and magenta toning.

It appeared next in the sale of the George Cook collection, another prominent collector of Canadian coins, along with the 1911 dollar mentioned above, in August 2019. My hunch is that it apparently had been cracked out for Trueviews and reholdered with the Cook pedigree added in preparation for this auction.

During reholdering, it properly dropped a grade to MS64, causing its value to plummet. It sold for only $132. Though I struggle a bit with grading Canadian coins, I believe the lower grade was warranted as the obverse had too many hits (not clearly visible in Trueview) to be a 'gem'. I saw the coin on eBay four months later, liked its toning in the Trueview glamor shot, and purchased the coin for a BIN of $275 Canadian or about $210 at that time. It's fun to speculate what it may have sold for had the Cook family kept the coin in the old holder with the Belzberg pedigree. Would bidders buy the holder again and not the coin?

I love that toning. Envy is thee word. I collect toned Canadian coins.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    edited January 26, 2022 10:57AM

It seems like many of the coins that had Cook's fingers touch them suffered downgrades, just because of what he did to some, but not all, of the coins.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2022 9:37AM

**Canada 1858 1 cent **
    1858 by itself is reasonably scares. BUT this is extremely seldom and hard to obtain.
    There are not very many around. Coin was purchased for me by a friend from a dealer in Australia.
    any comments about condition and grade will be appreciated.
    will post my own images once I have it in my possession.

• Options

From the photos, the surface seems to have a texture to it, on my computer screen. It IS one of the hardest to find of all Vicky varieties, any date with just 4-5 ahead of it for rarity. It's a full, unbroken vine with 16 stems. Only the '58 full vine 15 stem (leaf 9) is scarcer of the '58's. It's still a $1,000 coin in high AU, which is what I view this one as.

• Options

Thank you SYL
    for your very kind and comforting words.
    I was aware that it was a bit on the scarce side. I do have 2 the same already. they all have the Dbr on leaf 13.
    this appears to also have a Dbr on leaf # 10??? it may be a scratch or some other PMD?
    what do you think?

• Options

I think that the "line" at 10 is post mint, since it goes through the design .... a die crack wouldn't. Hard to tell without it in hand.