Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭

Nice cameo reverse on that one.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

By mistake, I posted this already on the main page.
    However, I wanted to post it here
    Sorry for the double post. But here it is:

1940 Newfoundland 1 cent..I call it Pockface

I have no idea what happened or how it happened.
    Is it in the die or the planchet?
    It does not appear to be corrosion either, whether natural or chemical..
    the holes-indentations are all smooth..and are only obverse.
    any Ideas - suggestions???
    thank you all!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I'd guess sandblast or other grit got into the design recesses of the die.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 1:13AM

Just wanted to give a grading update on this 1930 dime as well. I sent it to ICCS in my most recent submission and am glad to say it graded MS-65. Really deserving of the grade in my opinion, it's a stunning coin! (If I do say so myself).

@Kyle said:
    Here's a recent newp, I'll get it sent off for grading in the new year sometimes.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful dime, Kyle!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@ShadyDave nice coin, love the die crack on reverse, MS62

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

Beautiful coin Dave! I'd guess AU-58.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice AU-55

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that while in the Cook collection the coin was cleaned? If so, that is a darn shame to have survived that long only to be in the hands of someone for a short period of time and get boinked.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Very early in this thread, if I recall correctly, I posted one of these medals in a PCGS MS68 holder. The one shared now is in a PCGS MS67 holder. I have been able to buy a few of these over the years, sometimes in their original holders, that have had terrific color. They are not easy to find like this, but I adore them-

• Options

What an incredible piece of history @bosox! Thanks for sharing the story.

• Options

I remember you talking about some of the atrocious things that came from the Cook Collection, bosox. It goes to prove that he was not a numismatist, but rather a collector of things that he could boast about.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the Cook stuff fell into three categories; 1) some stuff was original and not messed with, 2) some stuff was messed with and still straight graded (i.e. the 1911 dollar was downgraded), and 3) some stuff was cleaned and body-bagged. Unfortunately, quite a bit of it fell into the last two categories.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

This is a former Cook coin. It originally was graded MS65 and is now MS64.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2022 10:37PM

Unfortunately, lately I am seeing some stuff from category 3 in my last post offered for sale straight graded by other grading services. They have been cracked out of their PCGS body bags and submitted elsewhere.

I realize grades are always opinions, but in my opinion PCGS got the body bags correct.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

That die crack is one of the pick-up-points for the 1858 5 cent RPD.

@Kyle @bigmarty58 @1960NYGiants- all good guesses, it ended up grading 58.

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    This is a former Cook coin. It originally was graded MS65 and is now MS64.

That is beautiful. Coming from someone that loves toning on both Canadian caribou quarters and 50 cent pieces.

Coin Junky...

• Options

Here's a scarce inverted 9 variety I had graded at ICCS recently. It's an AU-50.

• Options

Very very nice. The 9/6's are hard to find.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 12:59PM

Thanks @syl! Yeah, they're very tough.

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

What is this? I Googled Acadian Canadian coin seeking old proto Cajun coins but got this instead. What is this?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124536445097

I'm sorry if I posted a thing that isn't real.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

My second Canada dollar via @airplanenut auction.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited August 9, 2022 8:09PM

This arrived today. Not too badly beat up for a Newfy. No apparent signs of cleaning to me. I like dark toning like this that highlights the portrait yet lacks corrosion or "black fuzz" in the lettering and along the rim found on many dark coins. The reverse shows nice color in the central field. I grade the wear at EF40. It looks better in hand than these photos show.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to be the photographer here- it's an older slab with no TrueView- and I'm not thrilled with my work, but this one is off at PCGS right now for photography, along with a bunch of other non-TV'ed stuff I own.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

These NFLD gold coins are a tough group to find, especially if you want them relatively nice. The entire series of eight coins had a total original mintage of less than 100,000 pieces combined. Yours looks nice and original.

• Options

Below is one of the more readily available dates. It isn't a high grade coin, but I liked the warmth of the surfaces so I picked it up.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    These NFLD gold coins are a tough group to find, especially if you want them relatively nice. The entire series of eight coins had a total original mintage of less than 100,000 pieces combined. Yours looks nice and original.

Thanks. After I bought it, I was explaining to someone how many times rarer that Newfie piece is than your typical 1909-S VBD cent or 1916-D Mercury dime, and yet even though it's rarer than either of those other two coins (and gold, unlike them), it only cost a fraction of what one of them would in similar grade.

I do like the road less traveled sometimes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

A fellow Newfy traveler! What remote numismatic road haven't you traveled, LM?

This is one of the more common Newfy half dates with a whopping mintage of 100,000.

Here's an 1870 & 1872-H I like (mintages: 50K & 48K, respectively):

• Options

New one this past weekend.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

Very very nice, Gene.

• Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    Picked this one up last week.

What a beauty Gene!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 5:45PM

To all collectors of Canadian….
    I will be at ANA Wednesday and Thursday.
    I want to start in the Canadian space, hope to meet you and would treasure your advice.
    Please PM me if you will be there and are willing to meet. I would offer my phone number to arrange a connection.
    Lee

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Got this one today.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

Beautiful lustrous 5 Cent!

• Options

Looks like substantial luster on that 1930. Did it come out of Europe? I ask because fo the way the TrueView image is formatted.

• Options

I forgot my sunglasses, Gene. Great example!

• Options

@TomB said:
    Looks like substantial luster on that 1930. Did it come out of Europe? I ask because fo the way the TrueView image is formatted.

I don't know. It was listed on the BST earlier this summer but I couldn't buy it at the time. A friend offered to buy it and hold for me. :) It has phenomenal lustre.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

1903 Newp. MS-65 Red, ex. Cook, pop 11/0. This thing has a bit more minor chatter than I would like for the grade, but 1903 is relatively tough year for high grade reds. I have been waiting a while for a good one. After seeing this one in hand, I am pretty sure that Cook did not play with it.

• Options

Nice, Rob.

• Options

Nice, Rob. Duplicate. Please remove. Tks

• Options

Snagged this one off GC last Sunday. Full lustre on this little beauty.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay