Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

That really does look like full luster, as if it is velvety smooth. I like it!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭

<3

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spirityoda1 said:
    This can also be called an off-centered broad strike. What percentage do you all think it is off-center ? 10-15% ??? I will check the reeding when it comes in the mail to me.

Considered a uncentered broadstrike.

Since none of the original design elements are missing it's broadstruck and no off-center percentage is assigned.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2022 9:28AM

@TomB Glad this thread surfaced as I'm really enjoying scrolling through these 12 pages as I eat my lunch.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the original packaging for this
    1960 set ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:
    1960 set ?

Yes it is

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:

@bidask said:
    1960 set ?

Yes it is

Thank you

How common ( or not ) is it to see original sets like this ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:

@1960NYGiants said:

@bidask said:
    1960 set ?

Yes it is

Thank you

How common ( or not ) is it to see original sets like this ?

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, it is not uncommon to find these sets still in their original packaging.

• Options

I see them often when attending shows in Canada. There are 4 known set types having to do with the stamp font. Typical sets sell for $80 to $100 CAD.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

New 1951 ICCS MS 62 Arnprior Dollar from last nights Colonial Acres Auction.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2022 10:10PM

I posted these elsewhere, but I'll post these here for Canadian coin enthusiasts. A few years back, I went on a brief Canadian dollar and half dollar buying spree of inexpensive, toned, mid-grade (VF-AU) dollars and halves in small bulk lots to serve as an attractive and fun 'store-of-value'. I bought small groups of common date George V, VI, and Elizabeth silver coins for close to bullion and even below bullion in a few cases. Some sellers would spice up their lots with 1938 and 1946 dollars or MS dollars for a bit more. My plan was to store the coins in Dansco albums, either in labeled albums or in generic half dollar and dollar albums. Maybe someday...

One seller also offered this nice set of higher-grade Canadian commemorative dollars in a Capitol-style holder for a reasonable price, so I bought it as well. My guesses as to their grade are: 1935 - AU58-MS63(?), 1939 - MS63, the rest are gem quality MS or PL coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2022 12:06PM

said:

@rwyarmch we could fix that as...

Broadstruck's penny token, PC-4, NGC AU58. ;):p

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Victoria Nobis Est (Charlton LC-49, Breton 982, Courteau 40NL, Willey 542)

struck over a 19th century British token from Bristol

• Options

Nice example!

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

A recent addition, LC-48C3, TF-04a with cud ay 3:00:

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2023 4:26AM

Grading Newfoundland half dollars is a puzzle to me. For example, the following TPG-graded coins are graded VF20:
    PCGS:

ICCS:

The PCGS 1880 is F12, and the ICCS 1894 is VF35-EF40 to me. Neither coin looks close to VF20 in wear, and I don't see any huge differences in the surfaces either. The dark tone on the 1894 appears to be a shadow.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭

Each TPG grades Canadian differently. ICCS is much tougher on circulated Newfoundland coins. PCGS is harder on mint state.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

@bosox said:
    Each TPG grades Canadian differently. ICCS is much tougher on circulated Newfoundland coins. PCGS is harder on mint state.

Ok, but to be off to this extent is absurd. What does ICCS call a EF40? Based on wear, the 1894 is almost an EF40 by my standards.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 6:26PM

Absurd or not, if you are going to collect a series, I find it a benefit to understand the ins and outs of how the two primary TPG's grading the series tend to treat them and particularly how they differ. I recommend some quality time on the PCGS and Heritage websites looking at previously graded coins. Heritage should have a limited amount of ICCS graded photos in their sold archives.

In addition, TPG's have good days and bad days. I agree your 1880 is overgraded, but not by a lot using past PCGS standards for circulated Victorian 50 cents. The ICCS 1894 looks pretty par for the course for a VF-20 by them in that it looks like it was cleaned in the past and net graded a bit.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 6:03PM

It's nice to see so many beautiful coins being posted. I've been sort of dormant, and this piece represents my first Canadian coin purchase since before the pandemic. I've spent the last two years doing what I call 'The Great Realignment' which is to say that I cleaned house, big time. For the rest of my days I plan to focus on five cent silvers, fifty cents and type coins for my Canada Dansco albums.

I picked this up at the 2023 FUN Show. The digital microscope photos do not do this coin justice. It was graded PCGS MS63 but it is a 64 all day long - 1947 Maple Leaf Fifty Cents, Curved Left 7.

Edited to replace the existing photos with better versions.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Had this tough variety/rpd graded a few weeks ago. “RPD3”

Anyone want to GTG?

My guess is AU58. That's a really interesting piece and carries a modest premium over the standard 1858 5c Large Date, according to my research. I have this one minus the die breaks, i.e. 'repunched 858'. Mine is only XF40, cracked out of an NGC holder.

If you don't have it already I'd recommend the book "Illustrated Reference Guide for 5 Cents Coins of Canada, Part 1, 1858-1936" by Brookstone Publishing, if you're into 5 cents silver that is. I've just started analyzing my five centers and the 1858's have a myriad of different repunchings, die breaks, etc.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

@TomB said:
    Here is another $2 NFLD. I believe I shared this in a thread on the US coin forum regarding something or another, but can't recall what it was about.

That piece is nothing short of fabulous, with a capital F. I owned one of these once in an ICCS AU58 holder and traded it for something-or-other, which I have always regretted. I've been looking for one that looks this nice since then, with no luck.

• Options

@bosox said:
    Absurd or not, if you are going to collect a series, I find it a benefit to understand the ins and outs of how the two primary TPG's grading the series tend to treat them and particularly how they differ. I recommend some quality time on the PCGS and Heritage websites looking at previously graded coins. Heritage should have a limited amount of ICCS graded photos in their sold archives.

Thanks for the advice. I think I've put in a fair bit of "quality time" and have acquired 4-5 PCGS-graded coins and a few ICCS Newfy coins. I've seen little rhyme or reason to PCGS's grading of circulated Newfoundland halves. IMO, ANACS seems to be the most consistent to me. I'll find some auction sites, talk to a Newfoundland dealer at a show, and keep trying to understand grading Newfy halves.

Here's a coin I recently purchased because, even though it has been lightly cleaned, it still has some original toning. appears to have retoned a bit, and overall, has a nice look to it. I would grade it at around VF30 without the light cleaning. I'm not sure if it will straight grade or where it would net grade. I paid around a VF20 price for it.

Here's my other 1874 that I grade as an F12. This looks original to me.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2023 2:38PM

Here's an 1904-H that I purchased recently. I hope to see it in hand tomorrow.

• Options

Not a rare coin, but I wanted a choice toner for my permanent collection because I got my start in numismatic photography with these. Plus I lived in BC at that time.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Not a rare coin, but I wanted a choice toner for my permanent collection because I got my start in numismatic photography with these. Plus I lived in BC at that time.

I love how the toning spills over onto the reeding of the coin!

• Options

From the latest Collectorama show in Lakeland, FL - 1903-H/H Five Cents:

• Options

Nice! I love this design, as well.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

a couple dove cents with interesting colors

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2023 9:19PM

I bought about 20 of Canadian coins this weekend. Here are few of them.

• Options

Nice album of cents @OnWithTheHunt. The 1936 Dot space might have to go unfilled for a few decades!

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭

My favourite reverse design on Canadian coins.
    This was used on the half dollar from 1937 to 1958

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Great coins, Gene. You are becoming the Canuck token man.

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    My favourite reverse design on Canadian coins.
    This was used on the half dollar from 1937 to 1958

I was going to hit agree but there are so many reverse designs that I like amongst Canadian coins. Even Newfies have their own simple functional charm to them.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    What is this? I Googled Acadian Canadian coin seeking old proto Cajun coins but got this instead. What is this?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124536445097

I'm sorry if I posted a thing that isn't real.

Ukrainian Easter Egg Commemorative.

thefinn
  • Options

That is a Commemorative Ukrainian Easter egg 20 dollar silver coin that is issued every year by the
    Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa.
    Each year has a different Easter egg design. If you scroll down that eBay listing, you will see
    some of the other years that have been issued.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2023 10:48AM

My favourite in the Canadian aviation series.
    There 20 diffent commemoratives isssued between1990-1994.
    This is 1 of only 2 Lancasters still flying and is located at the Mount Hope
    Airport Warplane Museum in Hamilton Ont. The other is located in the UK.
    I have had the honour of being in the plane on the ground but not flyiing in it.
    The pilot shown is J. E. Fauquier

• Options

@GotTheBug That 1919 is a sweet gem AU58.

@OnWithTheHunt The Canadian cent collection is really cool and brings back fond memories of assembling almost an entire set of large cents from junk boxes and small cents from change and rolls as a kid visiting relatives in Vermont.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@OnWithTheHunt The Canadian cent collection is really cool and brings back fond memories of assembling almost an entire set of large cents from junk boxes and small cents from change and rolls as a kid visiting relatives in Vermont.

Thanks. The large cents are a relatively recent project. I started the small cents set as a kid because I found so many of them them when searching penny rolls. Eventually had to buy the key dates of course. Actually have two sets of the small cents because when I purchased the LOC album a couple of years ago, the seller, believe it was ajaan, generously included many of the coins. Decided to finish that one off too.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options

@Greenstang said:
    My favourite in the Canadian aviation series.
    There 20 diffent commemoratives isssued between1990-1994.
    This is 1 of only 2 Lancasters still flying and is located at the Mount Hope
    Airport Warplane Museum in Hamilton Ont. The other is located in the UK.
    I have had the honour of being in the plane on the ground but not flyiing in it.
    The pilot shown is J. E. Fauquier

Not only a pilot, he also helped design the aircraft.

I'm partial to the F-86 because my dad worked on them on the flight line during the Korean War.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@Barberian said:

Thanks. The large cents are a relatively recent project. I started the small cents set as a kid because I found so many of them them when searching penny rolls. Eventually had to buy the key dates of course. Actually have two sets of the small cents because when I purchased the LOC album a couple of years ago, the seller, believe it was ajaan, generously included many of the coins. Decided to finish that one off too.

I had to purchase the 1922-1926, but I found the rest searching rolls and change in Massachusetts, Chicago, and Vermont in the mid-to-late '60s. Those searches bring back nice memories. If I ever got bored, I just grabbed $10 or my bankbook and went to the bank. The banks in St. Jay, VT (40 miles S of Canada) were really old 19th century stone buildings with a wonderful woodworking, granite countertops, and that faint smell of money. It was great to find say a George V cent, perhaps an Indian cent, lots of old Philly cents and 1954-Ps searching rolls there.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 1:37PM

I have had this quarter on my radar for over a year, just kicking the tires! Pulled the trigger today!