Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How About Some Canadian and Provincial Coinage, Medals & Tokens?

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭

@bosox - sweeeeeeeet!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need for sunglasses with this Newfoundland 50 cent piece. I wonder what could be wrong with this nice 1896 Obverse 2 that I grade as 'Fine'.

I like original-looking Newfoundland halves but can mistake cleaned and darkly retoned coins for original coins. The surfaces look good, perhaps too good except for the punch on the obverse, which is so common it's almost a privy mark for Newfoundland halves. Any comments as to its quality for the grade and originality would be appreciated.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is beautiful and from the images has original surfaces.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 12:14PM

@TomB said:
    I think the coin is beautiful and from the images has original surfaces.

Thanks, TomB. The coin surprised me when I saw it and I wondered if it was too good to be true. I couldn't see anything wrong with it except for the punch and the small rim issue. It's nice to have more experienced eyes confirm that.

• Options

@Barberian that coin looks original to me. F-15 would be my grade. BTW it is the small W in NEWFOUNDLAND variety.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    @Barberian that coin looks original to me. F-15 would be my grade. BTW it is the small W in NEWFOUNDLAND variety.

Yup. It looks like a small W to me. Do 1896 halves come in a large W variety as well? I understand there is also an obverse #1 as well.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 1:02PM

@1960NYGiants said:

How would you grade this coin? NGC grades it XF45. It looks to be at least an XF40 to me and perhaps XF45. Not sure if it's XF45 because of some hits and the upper rim on the obverse. The problem is there is a steep price gradient between XF40 and AU50. I also have a lack of confidence in NGC and PCGS grading of Newfoundland halves. I definitely lack confidence in my own grading of Newfoundland halves. Apologies if this is off topic but it is a nice-looking coin, IMO.

• Options

@Barberian said:

@1960NYGiants said:

Yup. It looks like a small W to me. Do 1896 halves come in a large W variety as well? I understand there is also an obverse #1 as well.

Obv 1 is the large W, actually a large W over a small W.
    Obv 2 is the small W.

Obv 1 has a higher premium in grades of EF and up.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

The 1899 is the wide 9s variety and has a higher premium than the narrow 9s. I agree with the EF grade - nice strong detail and what looks to be lustre in the protected areas around the ear and ribbon. Nice coin.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as an EF-40 @Barberian nice-looking coin!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

I think those are great photos, too!

• Options

@Kyle said:
    I like it as an EF-40 @Barberian nice-looking coin!

@1960NYGiants said:

Yup. It looks like a small W to me. Do 1896 halves come in a large W variety as well? I understand there is also an obverse #1 as well

Obv 1 is the large W, actually a large W over a small W.
    Obv 2 is the small W.

Obv 1 has a higher premium in grades of EF and up.

OK, thanks. After some research, my understanding now is that "obverse #1" represents QV with a curled upper lip and this also has the large W (over small W) in 1896,
    The portrait of an older QV with a straight upper lip is "obverse #2", and it coincides with having a small W in 1896.

Here's another obverse #1 - an 1881, mintage 50,000.

I compared all EF40's and EF45's on eBay. Out of four EF45's, the dark 1899 Wide 9 I posted above had the second-best detail, so I bought it. The coin with the best detail out of all eight of the EF 40 & 45 coins examined was an EF40. One of the EF45 coins was at best, a VF35 IMO.

• Options

@Barberian said:

Sadly, my eBay purchase of this coin was canceled. It had already been sold and was relisted by mistake. Very disappointing.

Ebay is really beginning to suck these days with their inappropriately charging state taxes, their sale of counterfeit coins by the thousands, and now auctions ending early before the stated end time or canceled for prior sale. This is the second time this week I've been disappointed with their auctions.

• Options

I just had the same problem last week @Barberian. I had a nice quarter on my watchlist for a few weeks that kept getting re-listed, so I reached out to the seller to see if they could do a bit better on their BIN price. They sent me an offer that I thought was fair but pulled the listing before I could accept. Apparently it had already been sold.

Another beautiful Newfie @TomB!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2021 10:16PM

ICCS MS-64. I believe it's the short waterline (SWL) variety.

• Options

• Options

1859 DP2 ICCS Graded AU-50 (Edge Damage)

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Beautiful DP2!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

great 59 and IMO should grade higher.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Don't think I've shared this one here yet. 1896 10c Obverse 6 ICCS Graded EF-40. I think it's been net graded for an old cleaning. There aren't any hairlines, but it's rather flat looking without any luster.

• Options

To my eyes it appears that it has so much surface gunk on it that all the luster is obscured. However, you have seen it in-hand and I have not.

• Options

It definitely has some dirt on the surface which contributes to the lack of luster. Overall though it’s a handsome coin with great detail!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy that as an AU if it looks like the pictures in hand!

@Kyle said:
    It definitely has some dirt on the surface which contributes to the lack of luster. Overall though it’s a handsome coin with great detail!

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 12:51PM

@amwldcoin said:
    I would buy that as an AU if it looks like the pictures in hand!

Yeah, I liked the coin as an AU before sending it in for grading. The photos are an accurate representation of the coin in hand.

• Options

Wow. That's a beautiful specimen!

• Options

You've been showing some very nice coins, Kyle.

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

@QCCoinGuy said:
    Picked up this pretty 1942 50 cent recently. I have seen higher graded examples, but few, if any, as attractive.

I like the toning on this coin. What grade is it ?

Coin Junky...

• Options

Thanks @syl!

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

I just now bought a silver 2021 proof 25 cents/caribou quarter. I like these... I needed a cheap coin fix for now... sellers pics...from a proof set.

Coin Junky...

• Options

I love the caribou on these coins and think the spacing of the letters and the fonts used work quite well. My only qualm with it is that the date looks too bold, in my opinion, compared to the rest of the letters and numbers.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom
    could it be a different font being used for the date?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

@spirityoda1 said:

@QCCoinGuy said:
    Picked up this pretty 1942 50 cent recently. I have seen higher graded examples, but few, if any, as attractive.

I like the toning on this coin. What grade is it ?

Raw. Either AU58 or MS62.

• Options

Very nice @coinsarefun!

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 7:35PM

@coinsarefun - those are super nice examples. Let's see how my GTG is.

Wellington Cossack Penny WE-13 MS64BN
    Province of Canada - Quebec Bank 1/2 Penny PC-3 MS65RB
    Prince Edward Island - Ships Colonies & Commerce, single H, cut knob &, tooth border, PE10-27 MS64RB

edit to add: if they ever need a new home, please contact me <3

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle thank you very much.

@1960NYGiants very, very close. The only one you missed I’d the Quebec’ halfpenny is a MS64RB
    Thank you to everyone for the nice comments. It’s taking my a lot more time to quire nice examples of Canadian tokens……..in reasonable prices.

• Options

You've posted some nice coins, Kyle .. conrats!

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting little ditty crossed my desk today . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Wow! And so I'm appreciably older than you mother?