Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greatest Mint Medal ever,,,,,,,,,

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2021 8:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Post what is in your opinion the “Greatest Mint Medal” ever. Here is mine.

I got my US Mint bronze Medals that I ordered just before the price increase. The 3" size are very impressive and weigh 9 oz. They also came in a nice Mint Box. Great detail and a very good likeness of #45
Here are some photos.

GrandAm :)

Comments

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

The 3" medals are pretty impressive. I bought my first 3 inch one, the Arnold Palmer, just before the year end big price increase and was pleased with medal and the straight-forward packaging. With the jacked-up mint prices for medals in 2021, I think that will be my last Mint medal purchase though.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it had a few babies. ;)

My year-end order for a few medal designs has yet to arrive.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks really well made.
    Very cool 😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me, glad you are happy.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

@thefinn said:
    The artist did a great job with the likeness. Very hard to do with the subject looking straight on.

That is a very good point.

Artist's renditions of head-on depictions usually look OK as a drawing but do not translate well to a coin/medal. But this one looks good.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the finish on that one, sort of a bright sandblast.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all U.S. Mint products tickle everyone's fancy. There are other presidential medals with many different options available on the mint's site and I am sure a person can find one he likes better than the other. Either way, not a reason to quit the forum over. I personally like the OPs medal, it looks very professional and representative of the man. Given the extreme price increase for these medals now they might end up with quite a low mintage.

@Batman23 said:
    Given the extreme price increase for these medals now they might end up with quite a low mintage.

I had not even thought of this but you are probably correct. These medals were only released a couple months ago.

If the mint sticks with the new pricing structure (and I am not certain it will), then I suspect that the medals program may end at some point since some of the medals will sell few if any copies. I don't think the new prices are sustainable. Something has to go - either the high price or the whole program.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:
    I have been a fan of this forum until this post. I am OUT

If the mint only sold medals that everyone agreed with then there might be two or three for sale.

Which 2 or 3?

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:

If the mint only sold medals that everyone agreed with then there might be two or three for sale.

Which 2 or 3?

I was thinking Washington and Lincoln but I guess I'm showing my age. :)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 8:20PM

The presidential medals were traditionally issued soon after the current president was inaugurated. This is not unusual. The set of these medals covers every president.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnnyj said:

I have read all the posts in my thread and can't understand what has gotten Johnny all riled-up?

Can someone PM me the details?

GrandAm :)
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:

Which 2 or 3?

Nowadays probably not even them :s

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:

The OP's medal is the latest in the series of US presidents. At least for now, the mint doesn't discriminate.

There are plenty of medals from the other side of the spectrum you can chose from. But the new pricing structure will make it a costly pursuit.

I would think anyone who'd purchased this medal already would approve of the mint discriminating at this point; limit the production and make the limited amount distributed that much more valuable - I guess well see if the subject of this medal is tried for seditious conspiracy or not 👀

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:

Which 2 or 3?

Yeah, I think if you want a medal that everyone likes, either due to topic or artistic value, you will have an empty portfolio of offerings.

edited January 9, 2021 6:39AM

@U1chicago said:

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@johnnyj said:

Which 2 or 3?

Nowadays probably not even them :s

Definitely not Washington who was a slave owner. Lincoln, for some odd reason, is also under a bit of a cloud in the last year.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2020/06/26/uw-students-petition-to-remove-abraham-lincoln-statue-on-bascom-hill/

@GRANDAM said:

@johnnyj said:

I have read all the posts in my thread and can't understand what has gotten Johnny all riled-up?

Can someone PM me the details?

Really? It's simply the topic of the medal. He is a bit polarizing, y'know.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

No political views on my part.

Biden silver and bronze inaugural medals being offered based on a CoinWorld article. https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/biden-silver-and-bronze-inaugural-medals-being-offered

• dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I love this medal don't check mint products ! thanks GRANDAM I am going to go buy one now !!!!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Forrest Gump said. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:

@Namvet69 said:

what does this mean ?

@dcstuff said:

@Namvet69 said:

@Namvet69 said:

what does this mean ?

I don't think he wants to use the actual quote so as not to hurt feelings

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcstuff said:

@Namvet69 said:

@Namvet69 said:

what does this mean ?

“My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.” – Forrest.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

$160? Jeez. What were they priced at previously ?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if this medal will start off big and orange-colored, but tarnish quickly?

And to the people complaining: Do you require your history to agree with you? How are you able to function that way?

@DCW said:

$40 (rounded up).

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@DCW said:

$40 (rounded up).

Ok. That is crazy. It probably has been discussed but can someone explain why the Mint would wake up one day and say, "We need to charge 4x more?"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember Reagan being so gaunt and thin in the face looking!

@SeattleSlammer said:

@thefinn said:
    The artist did a great job with the likeness. Very hard to do with the subject looking straight on.

Not bad but still could be more intricate with more of a classic aesthetic. I think this Reagan was well done from a straight on POV.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s with the sailing ship on the FDR reverse? Is that from his time as a searcher on Oak Island?😂

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
This discussion has been closed.