Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest Mint Medal ever,,,,,,,,,

13»

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM your statement of-

"Half of the people liked it, half hated it, and the other half was ambivalent."

Reminds me of something from graduate school-

"The first 90% of any project takes 90% of the time and the other 10% takes the other 90%."

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once overheard a fellow employee exclaim "I do 90% of the work around here half of the time!".

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FreeThinker said:

One of the best aspects of working with the Mint for the past 17 years, in my humble opinion, has been the near total absence of politics involved in our work. We artists focus strictly on the "task at hand" so to speak, regardless of subject matter by setting aside our personal feelings and/or our opinions.

Well said. And heartening to know. ⭐️

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

I like this ultra-high relief from the 1977 Jubilee

That is fantastic!

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will start a new thread on this subject: Best Medal Series Struck by the US Mint for use by a POTUS.

This POTUS was prolific in awarding/gifting a series of custom-made medals manufactured by the US Mint. In all, there are 20 known types.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:
    I will start a new thread on this subject: Best Medal Series Struck by the US Mint for use by a POTUS.

This POTUS was prolific in awarding/gifting a series of custom-made medals manufactured by the US Mint. In all, there are 20 known types.

Either JFK or Ike is my guess. Likely JFK.
    ?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:

I am totally confused. “Struck by the US Mint for use by s POTUS.” I don’t what that means. How were the medals used BY a POTUS. Medals I know of celebrated a president’s administration. They were not used “by.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FreeThinker said:
    Well, if it counts, this is a medal that I consider to be one of my greatest design accomplishments for the United States Mint (my RaM initials are at left). This particular medal has been on display here next to my drawing table for nearly four years, along with other items I cherish.

One of the best aspects of working with the Mint for the past 17 years, in my humble opinion, has been the near total absence of politics involved in our work. We artists focus strictly on the "task at hand" so to speak, regardless of subject matter by setting aside our personal feelings and/or our opinions.

By the way, I also submitted designs for the OP's medal of our current president and approached that assignment exactly with the same objective as this one, to produce the best possible design, since these medals are made for ALL Americans.

I just received a couple medals. I have had the smaller ones before and fine them just so-so. This is the first time I have held one of the 3" medals and I must say they are massive and impressive to hold.

Do you have free reign of your design such as portrait angle and backdrop? Or do you get a list of parameters like 45 degree
    profile and plain backdrop?

Looking at the various medal offerings I see that most all have no backdrop yet George Bush has the White House backdrop and George W Bush has a flag backdrop. Many profiles are just a side profile. I like the look of your Obama 45 degree profile much better than his second term medal with the side profile.

Of the medals currently on the Mint site I like the Trump and W Bush medals the best. Both are forward looking profiles with a great backdrop. The W Bush second term medal with side profile and no backdrop is back to average. The White House behind the George Bush portrait is nice but busy and kind of takes away from the portrait. The rock texture behind Roosevelt has a nice appearance and looks good, so there is a happy medium in there somewhere.

I do not like what they did to Reagan. That type of art style is not pleasant to my eye and does not belong there.

These are my impressions when looking over the various offerings. Some designs just stand out above the rest. Its not often I have a chance to communicate with a mint artist. Congrats on making a winning design and I hope to see you add another medal to your "collection".

This discussion has been closed.